AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2010-12-28, 17:40   Link #7521
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Yup, that sounds just like an Athena proclamation.

*Remembers the "Hayateeeeeee!!!!!!"*
Yes? and her thoughts (after acknowledging that she'll stay there for eternity) and conversation with Ikusa as well.

Quote:
But not - and that's the important part - what's going on. As usual, she only tells him enough to get him to do what she wants.
True, she hasn't told Hayate what's going on yet, but I don't think there's any chance so far with Hina running away once again. Let's wait and see.

Quote:
And you are gullible enough to buy that? For real?

I'm willing to cut Athena some slack here only for the argument of the meta-level: Telling Hayate would make it difficult to hide things from the reader, and not telling them upfront makes for more interesting storytelling.
There's no nothing wrong with Athena to avoid having people knowing about the RG since it contains the power great enough to end the world. Why would I think that she lied?

Whether the author deliberately tried to hide her intentions is another story.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 18:31   Link #7522
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
Yes? and her thoughts (after acknowledging that she'll stay there for eternity) and conversation with Ikusa as well.
Forgive me the snark, but fortunately for her, Athena proclamations tend to have shorter expiration dates than "eternity" ^_^; ... or, to quote another masterpiece: It's astounding... time is fleeting... madness takes its toll...

Quote:
True, she hasn't told Hayate what's going on yet, but I don't think there's any chance so far with Hina running away once again. Let's wait and see.
Fair enough. I have my doubts though that she is going to fill him in.

Quote:
There's no nothing wrong with Athena to avoid having people knowing about the RG since it contains the power great enough to end the world. Why would I think that she lied?
Nothing wrong? If other people would seek the RG, that would be a valid reason. Unfortunately, it's rather that SHE is seeking the help from them, and presuming that this is going to involve risks or dangers for Hayate/Hina, giving them the truth would be the absolute minimum of common decency. A more proper approach would be to add a genuine apology. Fat chance, I know.

Quote:
Whether the author deliberately tried to hide her intentions is another story.
For me, it's the only fig leaf for Athena that remains. Fans of her probably won't bother with it though ^_^;
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 19:56   Link #7523
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Forgive me the snark, but fortunately for her, Athena proclamations tend to have shorter expiration dates than "eternity" ^_^; ... or, to quote another masterpiece: It's astounding... time is fleeting... madness takes its toll...
No worries. I'm learning how to ignore meaningless ones. It's too bad Athena doesn't have the ability to see the future, huh?

Quote:
Nothing wrong? If other people would seek the RG, that would be a valid reason. Unfortunately, it's rather that SHE is seeking the help from them, and presuming that this is going to involve risks or dangers for Hayate/Hina, giving them the truth would be the absolute minimum of common decency. A more proper approach would be to add a genuine apology. Fat chance, I know.
We still don't know what happened and what's Athena's trying to accomplish to determine anything. As far as I'm concern, Athena doesn't need to tell Hina anything if she just needs(or uses) Hina to regain her power, and the knowledge of the RG is an important matter. I supposed that Athena also doesn't trust Hina as much as she trusts Aiki and Hayate. If using Hina puts her in danger, I guess Athena should at least tell her something, although that something could put her in danger even more.

I believe that Athena already blackmailed Hina, from the spoiler, to stay at Nagi's place. Although it may be a "wrong doing," I'm looking forward see to it. It's unfortunate for Hina that she's kept in the dark by Hayate, Athena, and Aiki

Last edited by zodanhko; 2010-12-28 at 21:13.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 22:43   Link #7524
musouka

Quote:
Could it be you're confusing me with someone?
I must have. Sorry about that!

Quote:
Well, compared to Athena's violent tantrums
Do you mean back when she was six years old? I haven't seen any tantrums from her lately. And I've got to say it seems sort of odd to hold a six year old kid to the same standard as a sixteen year old girl...

Quote:
Hina has been the epitome of tact and consideration
Hina's a sweet girl most of the time, but she also gets pretty huffy when Hayate doesn't react the way she wants him too. All you have to do is look at the end of the mini-arc where he's trying to move Tama to the new house.

Quote:
... we'll see if Athena has learned anything in the meantime.
She seems to have learned it's better to manipulate than overtly try to force someone to do what she wants.

Quote:
Tricky situations are fine with me. I hope that Hata is more creative about the path he is sketching for Hina this time - because, believe it or not, I'm a bit tired of the powerless-embarrassed-fleeing Hina too.
As madmac said, the way things are right now Hina is perfectly fine as a character...as long as she and Hayate aren't in the same scene. That's not to say she and Hayate never have good scenes together (the one that instantly springs into my mind is the scene in the Greece arc where she gets that hilarious "angry" look on her face because she doesn't want Hayate to know she's happy that he acknowledged her femininity), only that they tend to follow a set pattern that's gotten old to the point of unfunny.

If Hata has something more exciting planned for Hina than her typical blush and flounce, I really am all for it. (And since Athena won't be back to normal for three months--aka eternity in HnG time--she's been defanged as a romantic rival for the moment, so it's not like there's a problem there.)
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 22:57   Link #7525
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Hina's a sweet girl most of the time, but she also gets pretty huffy when Hayate doesn't react the way she wants him too. All you have to do is look at the end of the mini-arc where he's trying to move Tama to the new house.
*cough-cough*
My mind might be starting to fog over, but wasn't Hina the one who sent Hayate to go confess to Athena?
That couldn't have been anything close to what she wanted to hear, and yet she reacted with grace to admit defeat in romance.
Probably nothing she does during the entirely of that arc could have been something she wanted to do, and yet she's willing to do so to let Hayate have what he wanted.

She even requests that he take her hand when they go look out over the city. She's not forcing anything for herself.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 23:07   Link #7526
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
My mind might be starting to fog over, but wasn't Hina the one who sent Hayate to go confess to Athena?
Yep, she was. We also didn't see any tantrums when Athena sent Hayate back to Nagi, so clearly she is an amazing angelic character that never ever fought Hayate over trusting his parents instead of her, right?
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2010-12-29, 00:31   Link #7527
Tom Bombadil

Spoiler of 302 is out.

Spoiler for spoiler text:

Spoiler pics is also out on Baidu.

Spoiler for Hayate:
Old 2010-12-29, 01:30   Link #7528
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Yep, she was. We also didn't see any tantrums when Athena sent Hayate back to Nagi, so clearly she is an amazing angelic character that never ever fought Hayate over trusting his parents instead of her, right?
O.o Eh?
Weren't we just talking about Hinagiku? How did you get a statement about Athena out of it?

I was simply pointing out that as recently as the last full arc ago, Hina wasn't acting the way you were saying you didn't like.

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Old 2010-12-29, 01:42   Link #7529
musouka

Quote:
O.o Eh?
Weren't we just talking about Hinagiku? How did you get a statement about Athena out of it?
I don't actually believe Athena is an angel. I'm just pointing out that someone's actions aren't overwritten by other actions. They're all a part of the character. We also have scenes of Hina attacking Hayate because he was late/made a joke she didn't like/ect, so I just don't think Hina is a good example in general of someone that keeps her temper out of understanding and love. That's because this is a slapstick comedy, though, not because Hina is evil.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2010-12-29, 01:56   Link #7530
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
I don't actually believe Athena is an angel. I'm just pointing out that someone's actions aren't overwritten by other actions. They're all a part of the character. We also have scenes of Hina attacking Hayate because he was late/made a joke she didn't like/ect, so I just don't think Hina is a good example in general of someone that keeps her temper out of understanding and love. That's because this is a slapstick comedy, though, not because Hina is evil.
And again I point out that Hinagiku is a tsundere, it's part of the character framework she's been given. Her attacking someone for doing something she doesn't like is actually rare, as well as something she's trying to grow out of, and actually doing pretty well at it considering she's only been trying for the last few months.
It's actually implied that she does the best at this when confronted by Miki, because she's gotten so used to Miki pushing her buttons, which Miki does for her own enjoyment.

It's all up to a matter of taste I suppose.

Last edited by Bastion_Arcion; 2010-12-29 at 02:50.
Old 2010-12-29, 02:48   Link #7531
ridgezipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
(I wouldn't say I'm personally invested in Athena, so I don't really care if she's "likable" or not.)
ditto. same for athena, hina and the other girls. it's hard to argue who's better, who's kinder, who's more considerate unless it is stated flat out by the author himself.

plus, each girl expresses their 'love' for hayate in different ways o_o; it's a matter of picking which you prefer ^^;

Quote:
O.o What?

Athena was implied to have been locked in the RG even before Hayate had gotten in. If Hayate had actually gotten a mortal injury, she wouldn't have been able to go get help.

And it was the training (including the kicking him in the stomach hard enough to make him complain) that I was talking about, not specifically when Midas was trying to kill him. If Hayate had gotten incapacitated during any of it, Athena would have been the only one able to help.
Also, Yanderes are known for sometimes killing the ones they love because they didn't get chosen, just out of spite.

I'm not trying to create a worst-case scene for Athena, just pointing out things.
I really wish you'd stop trying to paint me as an Athena-hater. There's only one character in HnG that I actually dislike.
._. i do understand your point. but i guess you don't find athena-hayate-slapstick-duo-act funny. -.-;;

Quote:
*cough-cough*
She even requests that he take her hand when they go look out over the city. She's not forcing anything for herself.
i love hina in the first 100 chapters she was in.

like madmac said, her char seems to be getting less interesting as time goes by. chiharu in the handful of chapters she was in is more interesting than a full-blown hina-confessing-to-hayate arc -.-;
ridgezipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 17:39   Link #7532
Heiwatsuki

omfg i love the development of the story now. Hayate living with Hinagiku and Athena will be hilarious. Though as with others, i feel as if hinagiku should confess already lol. But i wont get uninterested in her character. She will always remain one of my favorites .

Quote:
I believe that Athena already blackmailed Hina, from the spoiler, to stay at Nagi's place. Although it may be a "wrong doing," I'm looking forward see to it. It's unfortunate for Hina that she's kept in the dark by Hayate, Athena, and Aiki
More like a bait rather than a blackmail lol
Old 2011-01-03, 10:07   Link #7533
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Read 302. I think it is no spoiler to say that Hayate's talent of putting his foot in his mouth, is second to none ^^
Old 2011-01-03, 20:54   Link #7534
xellos2099

I just finish reading 302
Spoiler for Spoiler:

Then again Hayate can be VERY female incentive sometime. Hayate was wondering to himself what did he do wrong and the narrator say " EVERYTHING"

Last edited by xellos2099; 2011-01-03 at 21:29.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 03:05   Link #7535
Tom Bombadil

A great chapter. It is not the first time Hayate said something that are come out the wrong way and totally misunderstood. That how the whole story started. But I found that Hina cave in too easily. I was expecting more drama. Now let's see how Hayate is going to make Nagi to approve all that. (I hope he doesn't give the ring to her.)
Old 2011-01-04, 04:13   Link #7536
xellos2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
A great chapter. It is not the first time Hayate said something that are come out the wrong way and totally misunderstood. That how the whole story started. But I found that Hina cave in too easily. I was expecting more drama. Now let's see how Hayate is going to make Nagi to approve all that. (I hope he doesn't give the ring to her.)
Well... Mini Athena has Hina's weak spot. I wonder will Athena eventually get jealous of Hayate serving Hina.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 05:14   Link #7537
Mentar
Banned

Usually I've come to hate these "Hayate trampling over Hina's feelings who then gets mad and runs away" chapters, but I have to say that this one was very enjoyable for a change. And it showed an interesting general... well... fundamental "defect" in Hayate's personality in a most enlightening way.

What Hayate is lacking is the concept of independent wishes and desires. A feeling of an independent self, who has interests of his own. Throughout his life, he was conditioned to submit to the whims and wishes of others: His parents', then Athena's, then Nagi's. It doesn't bother him, that's the way he's been brought up, that's the way he lived. However, the concept of self, the concept of having desires and wishes of your own, is alien to him.

This is why he is so extremely insensitive at times. He expects orders that he's able to execute, and he fails when these orders aren't given, and it would rather be his own task to _discern_ the wishes/intentions/desires of others by himself. He doesn't know how to do that. So, when Yukiji told him (in general) how to get a girl to move in with you, he rather executed it by the letter, not the spirit - because he doesn't UNDERSTAND the spirit, he has no concept of it. This part of him has been crippled in the past.

So, if the task is to profess love to a girl and propose to her, he will do it. It's clear at his last panel when he's losing consciousness that he doesn't comprehend what he did, and why he failed. He doesn't "get" love at all.

That also explains some other observations of the past. Why he thought that after the reunion Athena "dumped" him where it's plainly obvious that she didn't. He simply didn't "get" it at all. But Athena ordered him away, so due to his conditioning he complied. This is also why Athena manages to deal with him much better than Hina or Nagi: She says very explicitly what she wants. In comparison, Nagi and especially Hina fail to do so when it comes to their romantic intentions, so naturally he acts completely clueless. Compare that to situations of danger, when Hina and Hayate cooperate naturally and perfectly (see rescuing Nagi/Ayumu in the temple or the final battle of the Greece arc), because there she's decisively telling him what to do, too.

Until Hayate develops this concept of "self", there won't be genuine eye-level romance in the show. Even in the Greece arc climax, Hayate's desires were very raw and basic: He wanted to SAVE Athena, and he wanted to APOLOGIZE to her. It also offers a good explanation why he had to ponder so much before he concluded that he probably "loved" her. Real romantic love includes a selfish element, the desire to have the other for oneself, and this selfish aspect is crippled in him. He didn't "feel" it this way.

As for the rest, I don't think that Hina caved too easily. She had already generally accepted the idea when she was by herself, before Hayate came and botched things again. So, giving in to Athena's coercion was pretty understandable in my book.

Last edited by Mentar; 2011-01-04 at 08:11. Reason: typo fix
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 11:35   Link #7538
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Spoiler:
You know... I think you're right. He doesn't do things for himself, at least since Athena's influence. His wish is a simple one, 3L(D?)K, seems to be the only thing he actually wanted for himself.
Even saving Izumi when they were kids he didn't really do on his own volition, it wasn't until he remembered Athena's teaching that he turned around and fought off Lucky for her, and when he's protecting Nagi, it's because he's acting as her butler, not for his actual personal wish.
When he was working, during the ten years after the separation from Athena and the beginning of the story, he was either working for his parents, and thus under their orders, or they had probably ordered him to get a job (or he had realized that they wouldn't support him, and thus needed to make his own money).

What Hinagiku told him, about never being happy if he's not a little bit selfish, will probably be big when he realizes what she intended.

Old 2011-01-06, 05:30   Link #7539
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

A quick note, which I'm posting in here as it mentions Athena: a recent chapter of Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei (234) has Koji Kumeta mocking the harem manga fans. He uses Hayate as an example, showing a fan saying "I'm gonna become anti-Hinagiku and become a fan of A-tan!" As Nozomu notes,. "So this means the author will come out even in the end?"

In case some of you are unaware, Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei makes many, many references to Hayate. Hata was Kumeta's assistant on Katteni Kaizo before Kumeta left Shogakukan. When Kumeta moved to Kodansha, Hata stayed and created Hayate... which is considerably more popular than Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei. This fact is mocked by Kumeta in a self-deprecating sort of way in many, many chapters of his manga.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 11:58   Link #7540
GlassesLady
dat apple

Oh god, I'm going to have to find that chapter now. Is SZS being scanlated still?

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen