Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-03-16, 02:59   Link #1
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Death of a Fansite

Yes. tonight (today for some)

Tazumo, the Webmaster of Narutofan.com posted a long rant on the main page of naruto.

It now seems that Narutofan.com is gone from the naruto community.

It seems to be the doing of a few people Dos-ing the servers, and spamming the Narutofan forums.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 03:03   Link #2
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
it said that the server is under attack, what the hell?
rEkKaShInObI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 03:18   Link #3
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

no way ... that is really not cool
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 03:20   Link #4
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEkKaShInObI
it said that the server is under attack, what the hell?
someone is DOSing the server

DOS- Denial of service

simple code that pings a website (or server) incessantly (alot, repetadly) and requests to download a page... but it doesnt, so the server just sends out massive amounts of data to nothing.

and no one else can access the server.
Old 2004-03-16, 03:21   Link #5
Merco
I like pie

How annoying, what was the whole deal anyway? a few hackers think they can get off by screwing up a fan site?

(take back my previous comment, the hacker is just an idiot in that case...)
Merco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 03:25   Link #6
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

script kiddies need to die ...
Old 2004-03-16, 03:40   Link #7
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Send a message via Yahoo to Kaoru
Edit: Thanx Kamui4356 for the update.
I feel bad for the webmaster. Must have been alot of stress on him, given it's hard enough to run this big website and have people attacking it. It's good to hear that Tazmo-san decided to keep NarutoFan running.

Last edited by Kaoru; 2004-03-16 at 04:16.
Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 03:59   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

edit: update on the situation.
Quote:
Explanation
Reported by: Tazmo on Tuesday, March 16th, 2004 at 03:25AM
Well first of all, the message you may have saw before announcing the closing of NarutoFan.com was completely real. I had the intention to close the website because of the current events taking a serious toll on my well being. You have no idea how much it torments a webmaster to have everything he's worked on, everything he's proud of suddenly being attacked so viciously. To have everything you have worked for, for months jeopardized. It is a horrible experience I have gone through before, but never like this.

In the moment I decided I would walk away from NarutoFan and all I have accomplished and been proud of, I was overcome by emotion and confusion, I didn't know what to do. Even though I know there are so many more good people then bad people, the bad often times overshadow all of the good, and that really eats away at me. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but I do. I couldn't handle all of the people (which was really only a few compared to the others) who were saying all these nasty things. As a result of this, I will not be online as much, and I will not be as readily avaliable to talk to on AIM.

I seriously contemplated closing NarutoFan.com, but I had a good talk with my Dad about the situation, and he helped me see the proper side of things, the side I should be seeing. I guess he put it into good logic, these people who say these things live hundreds of miles away, you don't know them, they don't know you. Why do you care? It's hard to explain why I care, but I am not one of those people who can brush things off just like that.

Anyways, with this I say that NarutoFan.com will be staying open to continue to accomplish what has been my goal since day one, provide a quality website about a series I have a great passion for. This is what I will continue to do, and this is what I am dedicated to doing. I apologize very sincerely for the ongoing events, the soap opera of the web as my friend put it. It is very silly, and I don't intend to let it bother me anymore. With that Naruto fans, I bid you farewell for tonight, I will see you once again tomorrow, as usual.
So Kaoru, since it seems narutofan will be staying up, you might want to edit your post...
Old 2004-03-16, 13:38   Link #9
Icer

I hate people sometimes.
They are now closing the forums since that is the source of the attacks.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 13:46   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Edit:BY Sanitis

Well Im glad to see you stay tazmo.Well as you know what happened, i was set back on the layout. I will be working on it again hopefully tommorrow if my other plans dont get in the way, here where i live is Spring Break so most of you know how that is.Well ill let you goo guyS!Ero Sennin Admin!
i think we are all glad to see him back... ... ...

Quote:
Because of the ongoing attacks on our servers we are shutting down NarutoForums.com, as that is the target for the attackers. They are simply overloading the forum with hits, causing the MySQL to overload and eventually crash the server. We can not run the forums with this, and I doubt very much they will be up again. Sorry for the inconvenience, it is indeed horrible that because of a few people we have to close them.
and the official statement, for those of you who dont check every 3 hours.

whee!

that was scary for a bit
Old 2004-03-16, 15:11   Link #11
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

too bad it's hard to find out who pulls this crap

I'd send Sasuke's Chidori over the cable lines right back at the guy!

It'd be the "ninja way"
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 17:01   Link #12
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
Actually half the time its quite easy to find the IP of the attacker, its just a matter of actually doing so, and once doing so, reporting it to the FBI, which far too few people do.
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 17:19   Link #13
Uzumaki||Demon
-»-»Kyubified«-«-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder

I'd send Sasuke's Chidori over the cable lines right back at the guy!

It'd be the "ninja way"

What if he's using a satellite connection.

(nice idea btw )

I'd say Genjutsu would be the way to go for this one.
Uzumaki||Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 17:25   Link #14
Karyu
The Ruler of The Dragons

I hope the attackers will be killed by a long painfull death caused by mange sharingan. 3 days of incredible pain and then death because to much damage on his brain en nerve system.
Karyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 17:31   Link #15
CaSe-
胸のひねること

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyu
I hope the attackers will be killed by a long painfull death caused by mange sharingan. 3 days of incredible pain and then death because to much damage on his brain en nerve system.

Why settle for 3 days?

How about... 3 years!
CaSe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 20:12   Link #16
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyu
uhm... how about three days of thinking Oro is making out with you! How completely gross!
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 20:30   Link #17
SurfD

Send a message via ICQ to SurfD Send a message via MSN to SurfD
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer
Actually half the time its quite easy to find the IP of the attacker, its just a matter of actually doing so, and once doing so, reporting it to the FBI, which far too few people do.
Now, I may not be an expert in DOS attack techniques, but any DOS attacker worth his keyboard and skript-kiddie moniker would be nearly impossible to trace.

A DOS attack is usually launched from a network of computers, that are usually infected with a remote controlled trojan bot. Skript kiddie sends his network of bots a command, and THEY proceed with the attack. In most cases, trying to track the origionating PC is going to net you Granny123 on an unsecured cable connection, who is completely oblivious to what is going on cause she just bought her poorly protected PC from Future shop so she could email the kids.

There is usually at least three or four layers of tracking, none of which is easy, to actually locate the person responsible. And god help you if the attack was initiated from a net cafe, or wireless hotspot.
SurfD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 20:38   Link #18
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer
They hack into other comps and hit you through a proxy. Sure you can trace that IP but then you find out it was like bunch of cumputers in a public library or somthing pinging you. Also there are command that erase all history of the people that logged into the computer that day.

Edit: Narutofan is down again, is it possible they resumed the attacks?
Old 2004-03-16, 20:45   Link #19
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Probably, and sadly, most likely...
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 20:46   Link #20
SurfD

Send a message via ICQ to SurfD Send a message via MSN to SurfD
Trust me, if you run up against someone who really doesent like you, AND is good at DOS attacks, you really dont stand much of a chance.

I mean, from what I understand, a single Skript-kiddie (may he burn eternally in hell) managed to bring down the entire mIRCx irc network. And they hosted their stuff on some pretty high end servers.
SurfD is offline   Reply With Quote