AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-19, 11:12   Link #1
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

[Speculation] Ending of the series

Just pure speculation here.

In every episode, Alphonse would give his monologue. The last sentence would end with the usage in past tense.

"That is what we firmly believed was the law." (exact wording depends on your translator)

He was referring to the Law of Equal Trade.

Now it seems to indicate then that at the end of the series, their belief in this would be broken (past tense with verb). So it seems that:
  1. they find a way to bypass the Law of Equal Trade. Did they finally get a Philosopher's Stone at the end? But even a Philosopher's Stone operates on the basis of the Law. Its creation requires huge sacrifices. So something else allows them to disregard the Law then...
  2. the Law of Equal Trade does not exist for certain objects. There would be an unequal trade for such objects. This could end the series on a sad or happy note depending on the balance of the unequal trade.
Comments?
Old 2004-03-19, 17:00   Link #2
SurfD

Send a message via ICQ to SurfD Send a message via MSN to SurfD
well, given that there are about 25+ episodes of series content left, who knows what way it will go in the end.
Old 2004-03-19, 23:26   Link #3
meluckycharms

well thats not really helpful. I don't know what will happen, but I think someone important is going to die. I just think this is the type of anime to do something like that.
Old 2004-03-20, 10:06   Link #4
Forklift
150 gigs and losing count

Send a message via AIM to Forklift
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfD
well, given that there are about 25+ episodes of series content left, who knows what way it will go in the end.
so we are on #23, so they have 48 total in the series?! !! !? ?!?!
dam 23 left me with a cliff hanger!
edit, cant ask that, I see now

Last edited by Forklift; 2004-03-20 at 18:06.
Old 2004-03-20, 10:16   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

No, there are 52 episodes in the series so there is 27 episodes left in the series. But as far as the regular series goes, I doubt it will be a cliffhanger. It will most likely end in something wild taking everyone back to square one and starting them over again, then leaving the series open ended from there.

EDIT: I obviously can't type today. Fixed gramatical error.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-03-20 at 15:17.
Old 2004-03-20, 10:32   Link #6
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Just pure speculation here.

In every episode, Alphonse would give his monologue. The last sentence would end with the usage in past tense.

"That is what we firmly believed was the law." (exact wording depends on your translator)

He was referring to the Law of Equal Trade.

Now it seems to indicate then that at the end of the series, their belief in this would be broken (past tense with verb). So it seems that:
  1. they find a way to bypass the Law of Equal Trade. Did they finally get a Philosopher's Stone at the end? But even a Philosopher's Stone operates on the basis of the Law. Its creation requires huge sacrifices. So something else allows them to disregard the Law then...
  2. the Law of Equal Trade does not exist for certain objects. There would be an unequal trade for such objects. This could end the series on a sad or happy note depending on the balance of the unequal trade.
Comments?
I think they refer to Al's artificial body as breaking the law. Because Ed wasn't supposed to do that, affixing his soul I mean. I think that's breaking the law, not becoming normal.
Old 2004-03-20, 12:11   Link #7
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravi-T
I think they refer to Al's artificial body as breaking the law. Because Ed wasn't supposed to do that, affixing his soul I mean. I think that's breaking the law, not becoming normal.
This is Anime-Keep's translation of the monologue.

"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something.
You must present something of equal value to gain something.
That is the principle of equivalent trade in alchemy.
We believe that was the truth of the world when we were young."

Where did they state Al's body as breaking the law? The 'that' refers to the Principle of Equivalent Trade (Law of Equal Trade).
Old 2004-03-20, 18:13   Link #8
Forklift
150 gigs and losing count

Send a message via AIM to Forklift
they didnt create matter with Als body, only moved his soul into it and Ed did give his arm for that. The trying-to-create-a-mom thing was where the difference was therefore losing ALs body and Eds leg. It took one whole body and one leg to = moms whole body in mass. It also says that its what the believed, past tense. Around 22-23 Ed says that he discovers the truth BEHIND the truth of Alchemy. I think that means that with the Philosophers stone you dont need a human body to make one, but they discover that the stone itself is made up from humans the start with so moot point right?
Old 2004-03-20, 21:15   Link #9
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Very much a moot point. So in essence you're still doing equal trade even though it doesn't look that way.
Old 2004-03-20, 21:56   Link #10
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Very much a moot point. So in essence you're still doing equal trade even though it doesn't look that way.
Lets call it payment in advance.
Old 2004-03-21, 04:09   Link #11
Xie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Unless of course they find a way around having to sacrifice humans to create the stone. That could also account for the way the opening dialogue is worded. That they did believe everything needed equal trade until they found a way to make the philosopher's stone without human sacrifice and it still allowed them to break the law of equal trade.
Old 2004-03-21, 04:52   Link #12
Zauren
Master of Pimpage

It could always just be a philosophy of life. Maybe they found out that some things cannot be equaled, such as their mother's soul, and some things should not be sacrificed in the same vein. A lesson they found out the hard way.
Old 2004-03-21, 05:52   Link #13
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forklift
they didnt create matter with Als body, only moved his soul into it and Ed did give his arm for that. The trying-to-create-a-mom thing was where the difference was therefore losing ALs body and Eds leg. It took one whole body and one leg to = moms whole body in mass. It also says that its what the believed, past tense. Around 22-23 Ed says that he discovers the truth BEHIND the truth of Alchemy. I think that means that with the Philosophers stone you dont need a human body to make one, but they discover that the stone itself is made up from humans the start with so moot point right?
"The Truth behind The Truth" refers to the prison behind the 5th (?) Laboratory. That's where Tucker-san made all the experiments, you know.

Yebyosh: Okay. Sorry.
Closed Thread