AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-09-09, 19:46   Link #41
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I too vote to keep the torrent section, but perhaps for selfish reason on my part.

I found this site many years ago, way back when Macross Zero was coming out. This past year Animesuki has been a veritable godsend, as I have no internet at home. No phone or TV either. I usually get online either at work or by taking my laptop to various hotspots in my area. It's been the torrents section of Animesuki that has been saving me from boredom! (well, the forums are fairly entertaining as well) I never felt I needed to go anywhere else to find entertaining anime.

I, for one, will be very disappointed to see the torrent section go.
Old 2011-09-09, 20:44   Link #42
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Why not adding a poll to this thread ? Like that we can know how many people are for this or not. Of course, I'm not saying you should decide solely on this but it can help you no ?

Now, I was thinking : don't you have some statistic about the torrent page ? For example, How many people go to this page and use it ? It can be another factor which help you to decide.

Personnaly, I don't use the torrent page anymore. For me Animesuki is a forum. The last time that I used the torrent page was in 2004 or something like that Here is how I see that :

- You should mainly focus on the forum and make it the best forum when it comes to anime (which is alreday the case I think but keep up the good work ! )

- If you have time then you can keep running the torrent page

- If you don't have time or if you think there is no use for this anymore, you can :

Close this page
Close this page and replace it by something new
Leave it like that without update anymore (the worst option, I think)

Now, if by closing this page, it will increase your time working on the forum then I'm all for it !
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 23:20   Link #43
zach8012

Send a message via Yahoo to zach8012
First Time Post, Long Time User

Like others in this thread, I created this forum account to make this post.

I have had Animesuke's recently added torrent page as my home page ever since I learned of the site about 10 years ago. I have checked the torrent page every day (srsly) since then. Back in my home town I used to attend AnimeSunday.org's monthly fansub showings at our local comic book store (Dragon's Lair). This was how I really got into anime. This was back in the mid-late nineties/early 2000's. After attending for a few years I asked one of the guys that ran the club how I could get ahold fansubs myself and he told me to use BitTornado and Animesuki.com.

Animesuke has the best organized and easiest to use anime torrent site setup on the web. Some of the torrents here can't be found anywhere else. BakaBT has some of them but they only allow complete series uploads and they only allow the version they deem to be the best. I think what animesuke does for the anime fansub community is priceless and irreplaceable. There's no other site like it. Yeah there's nyaa but contrary to popular opinion they don't have everything and a lot of the torrents there die after a while. Nyaa is also not as well organized/put together as Animesuki.

As others have pointed out, Animesuki has group listings along with their releases and websites; series listings with all of the releases, group names, useful info and links; license database; forum; everything you could possibly need or want in an anime site.

I'm sure it's a lot of work to run and maintain this site but I for one am very appreciative of your efforts and hope you all keep it going. I know I would be very sorry to see it go.

On a final note, I personally do not care for or utilize streaming. I torrent anime and purchase DVD/BluRays of those that I like once available. However I think streaming is great in that it helps promote and increase revenue for the anime industry.
zach8012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 00:01   Link #44
animegrrl

Like several people, I created an account just to answer this post. I have been using AS for years, and I still think the torrent section is valid. I mainly using Bake-Updates for my torrent searching, but they don't have everything. I look to a lot of the "older" magic girl series - for example, Fresh! Pretty Cure. That series and others like it can only be found here, and I stop by daily to check for releases. It would be a shame to see the torrents go away.
animegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 10:49   Link #45
Ialdaboth

I haven't posted on the boards for a while...

I watch way much less anime than some years before, but when I do I still use torrents - AS is a good ressource for this as it feels much less disorganized than Nyaa, and it's useful for gauging recent releases quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Since shortly after its conception AnimeSuki always listed only unlicensed English anime fansubs. However in recent times with the advent of legal streams on Crunchyroll, NicoNico, Hulu (etc) the amount of series left for us to list is minimal. I wouldn't say there are no good shows left for us to list, but there are certainly only very few.
People outside of US have access to less legal streams (well, less interesting, in any case). And you list the best show of the season (penguindrum), so everything else is irrelevant.
Old 2011-09-10, 13:54   Link #46
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Now, I was thinking : don't you have some statistic about the torrent page ? For example, How many people go to this page and use it ? It can be another factor which help you to decide.
http://www.quantcast.com/animesuki.com
http://www.quantcast.com/forums.animesuki.com
(select "All" under "Range" to see all data since 2007)

As you can see a steadily declining number of people visit AnimeSuki as a whole, but there a steady number of visitors for the forum. Which means the loss of visitors can be contributed mostly to the torrent index.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth View Post
People outside of US have access to less legal streams (well, less interesting, in any case). And you list the best show of the season (penguindrum), so everything else is irrelevant.
Absolutely true about Pengiumdrum (in my view). But We list neither Usagi Drop nor Hanasaku Iroha (because they are available for legal streaming), which I also think are very good.

And in fact the very reason that series can be viewed as legal stream can be a problem: frequently these streams are not available worldwide. This was the cause that for a while we tried to "ignore" those licenses (but since we don't ignore direct requests from the industry, we had to reconsider that strategy).

This would give people from outside of the territories mostly serviced by legal streams (US, CA, etc) more reason not to visit AnimeSuki but something else.

I see BakaBT mentioned a few times, along with the wish to continue to list unlicensed anime torrents (which due to circumstances are frequently of older shows). I suppose I could build a new site (while leaving the old intact, but not updated anymore) that incorporated ideas from both the current AnimeSuki and BakaBT.

Such a site would have the same kind of content as now (unlicensed English anime torrents) but where the burden of adding content lies more with visitors (or the "crowd" if you will) than with a select group of staff.

Then again I've had this kind of fancy ideas before and more often than not nothing came of it, so don't hold your breath for now...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 13:59   Link #47
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

I have trouble putting my thoughts in to words, so here's a try:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!!!!

I like the way things have been, have been using this website as my start page ever since 2007, and I have had no complaints what so ever. I got a bit worried when you announced animesuki 2.0 but as I still haven't seen it, I am still not complaining

I for one love consistency and animesuki has without a doubt been my favorite site in these past years. And the torrenting index is a great way for me to see what anime is licensed and what anime isn't, so please do not take it away (ps. don't change anything)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hayaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 17:10   Link #48
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I've been here for YEARS. If it's too much trouble to maintain, then scrap it. Most people don't use it, as it doens't list licensed series.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 21:00   Link #49
Excorsism

Animesuki keeps me informed of new Kaiji releases, so I vote to keep the system, .
Old 2011-09-10, 21:37   Link #50
Perseid

I would like to put my vote in for keeping it up. You may not list as many shows as you once did, but the shows you do list are very well organized. I like the setup here better than anywhere else.
Perseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 01:59   Link #51
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I would be in favor of the torrent listing going away for equally selfish reasons:

I feel like it would be an excellent demarcation of the end of the torrent era w/ regards to anime consumption in the west.

Animesuki's torrent index's rise and fall is more than any other site representative of that era.

The beginning of the torrent era was likely 2002, coinciding with the fall of Dalnet under DDOS attacks.

I'd say (approximately) the history of online anime distro goes like:

1995-1997 = Usenet era
1997-2002 = IRC era
2002-2011 = Torrent era
2011- = Streaming era

(not sure if 1997 is a good time to start the "IRC" era... There was a time prior to digitsubs that digitized anime VHS fansubs were passed around a lot on xdcc bots at least back until 1999 (heck, I downlaoded them) but not sure when that started).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 03:20   Link #52
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

It's very difficult to formulate a proper response on this. On the one hand, the balkanization of the releases back to the fansub groups seems like a regressive action, breaking apart one good service into a bunch of potentially half-assed sub-services. Plenty of groups have just up and disappeared over the years, and depending on people being able to find or become aware of the variety of groups out there seems onerous and ill-serving of the community.

On the other hand, while it feels like a reversal of the great amalgamation of AMVs in animemusicvideos.org many years ago, I also remember that the advent of amv.org and youtube led to what felt like a great decline in quality and creativity (though it may also be a factor of the community being strongly driven by personalities, the great creators, rather than being able to maintain a strong and diverse general interest such as what happens here in the anime discussion threads), and wonder if it might not perhaps be a good thing to keep things from getting to overly-centralized.

Of course one could also argue that Animesuki dropping its torrent listings is the same as the old AMV amalgamation, but on a larger scale. That is, consolidating all the collective sites into a small handful, or perhaps even one massive site a la youtube. In that case, the distinct loss of a major player, even if one in decline, serves to reduce the competitive 'market' that helps force other such sites improve and grow.

Animesuki provides a cataloging service that I don't see replicated in the other sites I've come across. Frankly, I almost never use them because they don't provide the service I desire, which is a consolidated listing and detailing that's easy to peruse, browse and compare. I'm not interested in having to manually search for every single item I may possibly want to watch. I like something that's a bit closer to a library or bookstore, where I can just browse over the shelves to get an idea of what's available, as well as periodic reminders of the newest stuff.

Which is not to say that there are not times when I want a little more specific or refined searching to be available. It's just not the *only* thing I want.

And while I'm sure many others don't care for the policy (especially for non-US citizens for whom it really doesn't apply), I do also appreciate that this site only lists unlicensed material. It allows me to keep an awareness of the status of various series, and when and whether I can expect an R1 release for purchase. Most other sites don't provide that distinction, and thus subliminally allow you to 'forget' about the series as a purchasable product.

Overall, my opinion is that no, I do not want to see the Animesuki listings disappear.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 03:36   Link #53
Thoguht

I used to use the torrent index here a lot, but as more and more shows got licensed by streaming sites the index has become less and less relevant (read "shorter") so I go elsewhere. Plus, given that torrenting advertizes my fixed IP address, I mostly use Usenet now - many thanks to GHDpro and others for their hard work on that project.
Thoguht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 07:18   Link #54
cyth
Banned

Whatever happened to the idea that the site be transformed into an enhanced anime downloads RSS filter? I mean, there is a Yahoo service I use for that, but with AnimeSuki's slick interface and all, it might just work for some users.

AnimeSuki made fansub groups seem relevant, and I'm sad to see that culture disappear almost completely.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 09:30   Link #55
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
http://www.quantcast.com/animesuki.com
http://www.quantcast.com/forums.animesuki.com
(select "All" under "Range" to see all data since 2007)

As you can see a steadily declining number of people visit AnimeSuki as a whole, but there a steady number of visitors for the forum. Which means the loss of visitors can be contributed mostly to the torrent index.
Thanks. Well it seems most of the people are coming from the forum. But instead of dropping this page, I'm all for this :

Quote:
(or the "crowd" if you will)
Crowd sourcing is great idea because it's a good use of Internet. That's how Internet should be : People helping each other : That's internet true strenght. But, Crowd funding is alos something that you could use ( à la Kickstarter) .

What I think might be a good use of crowd sourcing would be to let fansub teams putting their own torrent with the help of a good tool. This tool should be easy to use. Another think, that I think could be great, is to add a section where people can review these fansub teams. It's I think something really impotant because when I want to choose a team, I don't know if it's a good one or not. It's something which is lacking from all these torrents site.

About Crowdfunding, you can also use a donation system for each fansub team which put their relase on AS. People who like what they did can make a donation to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I would be in favor of the torrent listing going away for equally selfish reasons:

I feel like it would be an excellent demarcation of the end of the torrent era w/ regards to anime consumption in the west.

Animesuki's torrent index's rise and fall is more than any other site representative of that era.

The beginning of the torrent era was likely 2002, coinciding with the fall of Dalnet under DDOS attacks.

I'd say (approximately) the history of online anime distro goes like:

1995-1997 = Usenet era
1997-2002 = IRC era
2002-2011 = Torrent era
2011- = Streaming era

(not sure if 1997 is a good time to start the "IRC" era... There was a time prior to digitsubs that digitized anime VHS fansubs were passed around a lot on xdcc bots at least back until 1999 (heck, I downlaoded them) but not sure when that started).
The main problem with streaming is that it's not using Internet as it should be used. Streaming is something centralized when it's not the case with Torrent. And Internet should be decentralized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
It's very difficult to formulate a proper response on this. On the one hand, the balkanization of the releases back to the fansub groups seems like a regressive action, breaking apart one good service into a bunch of potentially half-assed sub-services. Plenty of groups have just up and disappeared over the years, and depending on people being able to find or become aware of the variety of groups out there seems onerous and ill-serving of the community.
Agreed. It's where Animesuki can do something good by giviung a better view of the fansub team.
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 11:52   Link #56
cerrian

One of the great things in the earlier days of the torrent index was its ability to create and maintain a community. The torrent index would show us what was currently active in the anime fansubbing community, how popular it was (seeds/leaches), provide a sort of history of the releases, and giving visibility to some of the more obscure releases. Follow that up with a well designed forum where we can easily discuss what we're seeing on the front page of the site and you have a successful formula for establishing and cultivating a healthy community.

The site's inability to display torrent links to the licensed stuff caused the front page (torrent index) to become more and more useless to the established community as it was unable to keep them up to date with the current activity in the torrent/digital release space. As the licensed materials increased, it became clear that the front page (torrent index) was showing us only a fraction of actual activity out there in the net. Somehow Animesuki needs to recapture this lost functionality for the entire torrent/digital release space, licensed or not, without stepping on the toes of the companies. If Animesuki decides to abandon the torrent index without substituting a replacement for some of the functions I mentioned above, then all the site really has going for itself it the forums which is probably just going to slowly decline as time goes on.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 12:27   Link #57
Kanos
Milk...

Send a message via MSN to Kanos
Back in the day, I used torrent from AS, that much is true. But like AS said, with AS only listing the unlicensed anime, I've turned to difference sources for my anime downloads.

Another point is that, I don't really use torrent anymore as much as direct downloads, either from the sub site or other mirrors. So in truth, torrenting isn't so much an issue of grabbing it from another site vs AS as much as who's using it altogether.

Personally, I come to AS only to check up on this license database, to see which anime series got licensed. Also, the rare occasion of non-licensed subs that other sites missed.
Kanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 13:40   Link #58
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I really loved AS' main site's interface, it's simply far better than, well, every other anime torrent sites out there, but I have to admit my usage of it has declined greatly in recent years due to both increased availability of legal streams and to the fact that AS doesn't list licensed torrents. This development kind of put the value of Animesuki main site into a declining niche.

As cyth said, I'd like to see this interface somehow put to use once again, whether as an RSS tool or something else. It doesn't have to *replace* the existing site's functionality but simply add to it, at least during a transition/experiment period to see what works.

I'm also afraid that though the forum is going steady, without a draw from the main site it will slowly decline. I love it here and all so, you know.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 14:14   Link #59
Jack W.

Haven't logged on to the forum in almost two years, but this seemed worth chiming in on. I always visit the torrent listing a few times a day, but have been puzzled as to why there seem to be fewer and fewer torrents listed. I knew about streaming and use it a little, and figured that had something to do with it, but reading this thread has made me understand better what is going on.

From what I can tell, no one argues that the older unlicensed torrents should disappear. We are more split, though, on whether to keep the current torrent listing as it is. My knee-jerk reaction would be to vote for keeping it as it is, but it seems like a lot of work for the moderators, which I didn't realize. Also there seem to be some good ideas on how to modernize it while still keeping similar functionality.

I wouldn't know an RSS feed if one jumped up and hit me in the face. But I would be all for a site that helps one locate unlicensed anime fansubs, and keeps tabs on which series gets licensed, regardless of the site's format. I can't even count the number of times over the years I'd come here, notice the disappearance of a series I'd been following, and think, "Ah ha, that one must have been licensed." I also don't know where else to find the older stuff, and have found some real gems that way.

So if there's a way to help ease people like me into being more up-to-date in using available resources (I have heard of BakaBT but don't think I've gone there yet), that at least points fans in the direction of torrented unlicensed anime, keeps the availability of the older series, and shares the work load between us users and the moderators, that sounds like a win for all concerned. I still favor keeping things the way they are, but realize that times change, and people should change with them.
Jack W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 16:07   Link #60
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'd say keep it, but integrate it into a more community oriented site. There's a lot of community content on the forum: news, images, polls, among various other things. If everything was a lot sleeker I believe AS would be quite the anime hub.

Yes it's been done before, so what? You can be the one that does it better/best.

Wasn't the whole point from the beginning to promote anime to the west. Torrents or no torrents, that hardly changes a thing.