Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-14, 08:07   Link #961
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Either way, I absolutely do not approve because that scene was random and pointless other than trying to give pervy otakus a boner.
Is this supposed to be something bad?

Overall I think your post is trying to rant about this episode for some reason, I mean, your suggestion regarding the musical alone... CG, really? Why would you care what they watch there anyway? I agree that it could've been solved better, but as you said, it's a matter of budget. Complaining about something like this just seems like... ranting. The way they dealt with it was fine.

Apart from that I don't know why your impression of this weeks episode was so weak. The drama felt a lot more genuine then in the Wakana arc, a father/daughter conflict like this is much more natural and believable than all of the cliche bullshit they threw at us last time, and at least there were other parts to enjoy about the episode. Unlike with the Wakana arc, were they suddenly shoved down her retarded mother into our faces for 2 whole episodes, while ignoring most of the other cast.

I'm not saying this episode was particularly good, but it has been a blessing after the Wakana arc.
sudolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 08:27   Link #962
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
but did Wein got the joke or really believed about the story of the rhino? Because I sincerely got the latter.
I think he really believed it. He even included it in the letter he was writing. Wein doesn't seem to be joking about the rhino to the person he's writing to.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 08:33   Link #963
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
Is this supposed to be something bad?
I saw absolutely no reason for them to show us Sawa's boobs... and in such an obvious, obnoxious manner. She was arguing with her father regarding her future career and then she decides to strip as a form of rebelling? I really question if this was necessary.

Quote:
Overall I think your post is trying to rant about this episode for some reason, I mean, your suggestion regarding the musical alone... CG, really? Why would you care what they watch there anyway? I agree that it could've been solved better, but as you said, it's a matter of budget. Complaining about something like this just seems like... ranting. The way they dealt with it was fine.
Because PA Works is famous for their visuals and often gets compared with Kyoto Animation. Whilst the latter has improved in the past year (Hyouka is head over heels better than Tari Tari and Another in terms of visuals), PA Works has been going downhill after Hanasaku Iroha (which was a contender for one of the most visually stunning anime of last year). Sure, Tari Tari does not have anywhere near the budget of Hanasaku Iroha, but obvious budget cuts like this stick out like a sore thumb much like Another was a slideshow fest with large amount of still frames at times. It's very unpleasant to look at. I'm a big fan of PA Works (True Tears is in my top 5 TV animes of all time and Hanasaku Iroha was also very good despite how much I bash it lol) and it saddens me that a series as good as this ends up being the second worst series visually. Call it butthurt fanrage if you want, cause I'll admit it.

Quote:
Apart from that I don't know why your impression of this weeks episode was so weak. The drama felt a lot more genuine then in the Wakana arc, a father/daughter conflict like this is much more natural and believable than all of the cliche bullshit they threw at us last time, and at least there were other parts to enjoy about the episode. Unlike with the Wakana arc, were they suddenly shoved down her retarded mother into our faces for 2 whole episodes, while ignoring most of the other cast.
All I can say is I strongly disagree. Parental death is a common cliche yes (particularly in J/K dramas) but the way Tari Tari handled was probably one of the best presentations I've seen because it didn't reek in melodrama unlike say Anohana or Key adaptations. In fact, at least half of episode 6 was fairly lighthearted and consisted of the other cast members trying to cheer Wakana up, some of them unintentionally - e.g. Wakana walking into Taichi/Wien doing "vocal exercises". Instead of being obnoxious and desperately asking the audience to "this is sad, now baaaw at this dammit", it was heartwarming and bittersweet. The only other series that I can think of in recent times that was more genuine at expressing drama is Usagi Drop - which is like the cream of the crop.

Quote:
I'm not saying this episode was particularly good, but it has been a blessing after the Wakana arc.
I don't know about you, but the majority of people including myself thought the episode before this one was the best episode in the series so far.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-08-14 at 08:54. Reason: Fixed last sentence.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 08:39   Link #964
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
I think he really believed it. He even included it in the letter he was writing. Wein doesn't seem to be joking about the rhino to the person he's writing to.
That's what I also thought. So I keep thinking that Sawa has been harsh to him. Unless she didn't get that he really believed to that.

Anyways, if anything the boys are depicted in a really really childish way for one reason or another. Wein i.e. for him being a gullible. Badmin-boy for his totally blindness against our princess-sama advances.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by Arya; 2012-08-14 at 09:38.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 08:49   Link #965
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
This should have come up anywhere between episode 2 to 4 where the formation and maintenance of the choir club was the main issue (alongside breaking Wakana's shell).
It's there to remind you the vice principal is still there and we've still got stuff coming up later,it ties in with the scene with the principal and the chairman,looks like there's going to be more trouble coming.

Quote:
Also the change in Sawa's character seemed way too drastic considering the fact that this whole wanting to become a jockey and the father being against it would have been something that's been going on for a while
What hasn't been going on for a while is being rejected from the school/organisation that trains jockeys,that's what broke her,not her fighting with her dad.
As for dieting,it's not that simple,regular diets likely won't work,she's 167 cm and weights 55Kg , that's a perfectly healthy weight,however if she tries to get her weight down to 50Kg she'd be underweight for her height,so she'd need to diet to unhealthy levels.
Really,as relentless said,she doesn't have the body type (the cast member that does is Konatsu) and I'm sure Sawa knows but was hoping to try and defy the odds to make her dream come true, however she's not even gonna get to try.
Of course I would have appreciated if this was all presented better in the show so i didn't have to do BMI calculations on the net

Quote:
4. Konatsu thinking Sawa is lovestruck made somewhat roll my eyes. How cliche and unfunny. Characters misunderstanding X is in love with Y is a staple cliche in romance anime but Tari Tari is not a romance anime.
Which to me made it much funnier than if it was used in a romance anime,felt like PA was still taunting all those looking for romance

Quote:
Cmon PA, I know the budget for this series is probably not even half of what Hanasaku Iroha got but at least make some creative ways to perform budget cuts instead of ones that are complete and obvious eyesores. heck resort to CGI for the musical performance if you have to. It's better than nothing.
Oh hell no!I'll gladly take nothing over cheap CGI,the whole point of the scene is the characters reaction to what's happening on stage, if you put cheap CGI in then that's what people would have remembered ("man,what's up with that CGI") instead of the girls which was the real point of the scene,just cutting to the essential is perfectly fine with me.
Old 2012-08-14, 08:59   Link #966
Bordix

Eh, I don't think Sawa's issues were rushed or sudden. It was implied last episode that she and her father had a quarrel regarding the future. Her dad wants her to become a government worker or something while she wants to become a professional jockey as revealed in episode 5. So there's obviously gonna be conflict there.

What accelerated the conflict was her father checking out her personal mail which obviously flared her up, and even more when her father starts dictating what she needs to do with her life.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:11   Link #967
Blonto

Quote:
I guess I understood what Sawa was implying, but it felt a bit harsh anyway. Now that you mention it, but did Wein got the joke or really believed about the story of the rhino? Because I sincerely got the latter.
He did believe it, but I think the girls didn't realize he took it that seriously. Wien is in a foreign country and completely dependent on what others tell him. Of course he'll be gullible. Heck, it's enough to see in real life how people can have a very twisted view of other countries.
I liked to joke like that with my sister, basically by saying something so ridiculous that I simply assumed she knew I was kidding. It wasn't until later that I realized she took some of the things I said seriously.
I say that, but the best explanation is because this is a cartoon where people believe anything for the sake of humor.

Quote:
5. The way PA budget-cutted again in the way they didn't even bother showing us what was happening on stage when the three girls were watching that musical made me chuckle... in a sad way. Cmon PA, I know the budget for this series is probably not even half of what Hanasaku Iroha got but at least make some creative ways to perform budget cuts instead of ones that are complete and obvious eyesores. Heck resort to CGI for the musical performance if you have to. It's better than nothing.
There was no reason and no time for us to see that opera. Really, it was just there to show the characters' reactions. If the content of the opera has any importance later on, then yes, we should've seen some of it, but I doubt that's the case. It was the simplest and fastest way to get through that scene.
Totoum explained it pretty nicely actually.
The romance aspect isn't there for the shippers because it's obviously a joke. Teasing shippers would mean implying there will be romance, but a character misunderstanding (and in a way that doesn't include the two male characters) doesn't count as that.

As for the fanservice...eh, it did feel kinda out of place but I'll forgive them if it's just this time.

Quote:
Badmin-boy for his totally blindness against our princess-sama advances.
Uh...Am I missing something here?
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 09:19   Link #968
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Which to me made it much funnier than if it was used in a romance anime,felt like PA was still taunting all those looking for romance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
The romance aspect isn't there for the shippers because it's obviously a joke. Teasing shippers would mean implying there will be romance, but a character misunderstanding (and in a way that doesn't include the two male characters) doesn't count as that.
Maybe it's just me but I don't find meta-humour very funny unless they are truly doing something clever or funny with it - e,g. see Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita ep1-4. Heck even the troll bath scenes we got at ep 1, 2 and then finally a real one at episode 3 was clever in the way we got some genuinely funny character interactions out of it. Simply poking fun at a cliche like it is here is a pretty poor and cheap way to satirize something because you're effectively just stating a fact that a cliche is overused. It's also impliedly half-insulting the shipper crowd in the way it's effectively going "We know you the audience wants romance but HAR HAR you're not getting any!". Although trolls can be sometimes good, this is just a bad case of trolling imo.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-08-14 at 09:24. Reason: Massive fail typo. And added some more.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:25   Link #969
Blonto

Quote:
Maybe it's just me but I don't mind meta-humour very funny unless they are truly doing something clever with it - e,g. see Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita ep1-4. Heck even the troll bath scenes we got at ep 1, 2 and then finally a real one at episode 3 was clever in the way we got some funny character interactions out of it. Simply poking fun at a cliche like it is here is a pretty poor and cheap way to satirize something because you're effectively just stating a fact. It's also impliedly half-insulting the shipper crowd in the way it's effectively going "We know you the audience wants romance but HAR HAR you're not getting any!".
I'm not sure where you got the idea that this is some kind of meta-humour or that it's aimed at shippers. I can't tell you how many times my parents and friends assumed the only reason I was acting strangely was because I was crushing on someone. It's a common assumption and not something out of fiction.
Really, just because the girls aren't currently interested in anyone doesn't mean that romance doesn't exist in that world, or in their heads as an option.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:35   Link #970
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
I'm not sure where you got the idea that this is some kind of meta-humour or that it's aimed at shippers. I can't tell you how many times my parents and friends assumed the only reason I was acting strangely was because I was crushing on someone. It's a common assumption and not something out of fiction.
Because PA Works has a notorious reputation for trolling its viewers, particularly in its PVs after each ep. It pretty much existed since True Tears days and was magnified in the Hanasaku Iroha episode PVs, which were extremely trolly - albeit in a good way most of the time.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:37   Link #971
sikvod00

I saw the whole "Sawa is lovesick" angle as a way of showing, once again, how dense and goofy Konatsu is. She completely misinterpreted the signs and jumped straight to her own conclusion. Even Wakana appeared dubious of the theory when it was presented to her.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 10:06   Link #972
Vena
Carpe Diem

I'm not too sure on the complaint about Sawa's injuries from falling off a horse. She fell off but, from what we can see, was not dragged or thrown but fell clean off which is not nearly as dangerous and depends on how she fell and how she hit. Moreover, many of possible injuries (pride not withstanding) would be hard to see. She may, for instance, have gotten a mild concussion (hard to show) amongst other things that are hard to see when all they show is a bandaged head for two seconds. That said, she could just be lucky. People fall off of horses and other things from time to time, not all of them end up like Christopher Reeve (who landed on his head with a body that's close to twice the size of Sawa's and, iirc, was thrown from his horse and over a hurdle).

It does look like her arc is short, though, because the "can't be a jockey" question is already being asked, and I don't think this arc was sudden nor was Sawa's character shift. This is just the SHTF and her strong, willful exterior crumbling under the pressures of reality. The show might be being a little fast and loose from time to time, and this certainly wasn't the best episode of the bunch, but I think it fits in fine and can easily be redeemed given a good following.
Old 2012-08-14, 10:06   Link #973
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I saw the whole "Sawa is lovesick" angle as a way of showing, once again, how dense and goofy Konatsu is. She completely misinterpreted the signs and jumped straight to her own conclusion. Even Wakana appeared dubious of the theory when it was presented to her.
I think Konatsu is just jumping to what she thinks are "mature" conclusions.
"You probably don't understand because you lack experience."
Old 2012-08-14, 10:16   Link #974
gunrik

It’s time for Sawa’s drama now, she’s getting assaulted through two fronts, her parents and her own body. Sadly, it seems like her physique’s a bit too well-endowed for jockeying, but now it’s really coming to the fore in a bad way. I really don’t like seeing her torture herself
Old 2012-08-14, 10:29   Link #975
Arya

Quote:
Uh...Am I missing something here?
No, not really. I was exaggerating Sawa interactions with badmin-kun, but his blindness is true. I mean, we don't know what Sawa's attentions are meant for, but we know that badmin-kun should be aware of those (innocent) attentions of her!!!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 11:46   Link #976
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I wouldn't expect a strong focus even if the episode count were doubled. The target audience is clear, and the tendency is to avoid dwelling too much on male characters (the rationale is that viewers don't particularly care who they are and may even be annoyed if they receive too much focus).
AnoHana had a mixed gender ensemble cast, and it developed/focused on its male characters every bit as much as it did its female characters. It sold very well.

Hyouka has a mixed gender ensemble cast, and it's developing/focusing on its male characters every bit as much as it is its female characters. It's selling very well.

I can accept commercial concerns as being a legitimate reason for why female characters get a bit more focus/development than male characters. But I don't accept it as a legitimate reason for completely shortchanging male characters. If AnoHana and Hyouka can sell very well with almost perfect gender equality when it comes to character development/focus, then it's not asking too much to want Tari Tari to give its male characters almost as much development/focus as it gives its female characters.

Quote:
Is that barrier abnormal within Japanese society?
Perhaps my perception has been skewed by anime. High school romances and guys mixing a lot with girls is pretty commonplace in anime.

A few general points:

1. I know how irritating poorly received fanservice can be, so I sympathize with Pell and Pocari Sweat's dislike of it in this episode. However, I personally didn't have a problem with it because I felt it was executed pretty well. Sawa and her seiyu played it very straight, as did Sawa's father and his seiyu. They managed to make me believe that an angry girl could conceivably do this to spite her dad given what he had just said to her, and that's good enough for me.

2. I think that people are being a bit too hard with the "This came out of nowhere!" criticism. Sawa's issues with her father were foreshadowed last episode. And we've long known that she loves both equestrianism and archery. This episode simply adds two and two together, and fully reveals what's going on in her life. The setup for it was at least satisfactory, in my opinion.

3. I also think that people are being a bit too hard with the "This seems silly after the Wakana arc" criticism. A failed life dream isn't insignificant guys, especially for a person Sawa's age. Yes, it's not quite on the level of losing a parent at a young age, but it's also not small potatoes. Tari Tari has done a very good job, in my opinion, in showing just how much Sawa loves equestrianism. So while this episode didn't emotionally hit me like the final episode of the Wakana arc did, it still hits me some.

4. That being said, I hope the Sawa arc is only two episodes long, because I don't see many places left for them to take it now. Well, unless they have Sawa actually overcome this and accomplish her dreams. But given time constraints, I doubt this anime will tell such a tale that would really need a lot of time and effort in order to not come off as rushed and cheesy.

5. I do agree with Pell on the preview thing, though. So many perfectly good anime cliffhangers are ruined by overly revealing next episode previews - It's become one of my pet peeves with the anime industry. Of course nobody expects Sawa to be dead in an anime as lighthearted as this one, but I honestly could believe her being very badly injured and/or put into a coma for awhile. So by the preview showing her like she just suffered a couple scrapes and bruises, all of the "Oomph!" of that otherwise great cliffhanger is wiped out.

Anyway, just thought I'd touch on a few points that other viewers raised. Personally, I think the final episode of the Wakana arc probably raised people's expectations a bit too high on the drama front. At the end of the day, this show is still a mostly lighthearted affair.
Old 2012-08-14, 11:55   Link #977
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Perhaps Wakana might have some interesting thoughts if she heard that one of her friends had said "I hope you die!" to a parent. I'd like to think that was intentional on the part of the writers, but I think that's giving them too much credit in this instance.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 12:01   Link #978
Zeross

Quote:
I saw absolutely no reason for them to show us Sawa's boobs... and in such an obvious, obnoxious manner. She was arguing with her father regarding her future career and then she decides to strip as a form of rebelling? I really question if this was necessary.

i've seen it that way :
her dad was saying something like "hey I pay your food and the tuition for your school with my hardwork so stop playing", then she get upset and started to remove her uniform saying "you can have it back, sell it" in the sens of "if paying my tuition is too much a bother for you, then fine stop doing it and sell my uniform, if money is all you care about".
Old 2012-08-14, 12:07   Link #979
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Am I the only one who agreed to Sawa's father? For that type of career to aim for takes a lot of consideration. As it was mentioned, being passionate is not enough.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 12:11   Link #980
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Am I the only one who agreed to Sawa's father? For that type of career to aim for takes a lot of consideration. As it was mentioned, being passionate is not enough.
But she has the right to try. It's her life, and it would be much better for her to try and fail (if she does fail) than give up before even trying and be frustrated for the rest of her life.

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works