AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-05, 04:42   Link #22981
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The Cradle, if we even can use it as a comparison concidering it is a Lost Logia, only supports the sollidity of Linker Cores in Nanoha.

Look at the thing, it's basically a huge artificial Linker Core.

If we can use the Cradle's reactor as an example, then we know that a lot of things that may be running on magical energy use a similar power generator (TSAB warships are the easiest example, but power generators for the city could use similar methods), which once again centralizes the importance of the Linker Core in Nanohaverse rather then going into the deep and throwing away a key ellement of the series.
Old 2008-04-05, 04:59   Link #22982
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK3997 View Post
They may allow minor exceptions in there own forces to allow simulated training like we see.
Again you assume these must be magical in nature and I ask why should it be?
It's like this: After knowing that they banned non-magic weaponry, I began thinking of all combat systems in Nanoha as magic-based systems. After all, if they banned something, then they ought to try to avoid violating it as much as possible, right?
In that light, the only way magic-based training drones are practical and economical is if Mid has the tech to generate magical energy artificially.
BTW, the XV's main beam cannon has to be magic-based. Otherwise it would be a unexcusable, clear and complete violation of the ban.

Quote:
First off the release from them seems explosives and instant you can't just use half of one it seems just like you can't use just half stick of dynamite, unlike say a real battery that you can drain as needed until it's empty.
Have we ever seen a mage pop in a cartridge, cast two spells before replacing it? If we have, that means you don't need to drain all the power in a cart at once. Even if we haven't, draining a cart in one shot could a style choice instead of a design issue. Deilver the biggest punch you can with each attack. What if the "biggest punch" only used a tenth of a cart?

Quote:
We also need to consider that the one time we see these acutally being made they're being charged by a mage...
When I watch that scene, I'm reminded of what I read about a 19th century country requiring its soldiers to mix their own gunpowder. It didn't help them against the British who mass-produced their gunpowder in factories. It may be that that's the only way to make cartridges, true. But it could be that they just lacked the resources to build a magic energy generator. It also may be that they didn't want Hayate wondering what the fancy machine (cartridge charger) in the basement was for.

Quote:
Evidence of other larger scale applications is extremely scarce the Jewel Seeds and Relics could perhaps be examples, but are certainly beyond any know groups ability to replicate,
That evidence that such technology is possible at all would be strong incentive to discover how to replicate it. Their chances of success is another thing though.

Quote:
and even here it's still hard to tell if they're storing or producing magic energy.
Consider the implications of both speculations:

Storage - Either those Lost Logia were charged by a mage with an order of magnitude more magical energy than we've seen before, or it was charged by a high-output generator. Either way, that they still have so much energy even after centuries or more means long term storage of magical energy outside of LCs is possible.
Production - It is possible to make high-output artificial magical energy generators very, very small. Therefore a lesser civilization may be able to make larger, less efficient generators.
Something to think about, isn't it?

Quote:
Basically there's almost no evidence to support that the stuff that seems to be running on normal power sources isn't, but plenty that it is.
Thank you for that, I can cross that bit of speculation off my list.

Quote:
It's large scale too large to be feasible in any besides a fixed or ship mounted application much like a modern nuclear reactor,
I'm pretty sure they can do that. It's the only way they can power a warship's main weapon.
Consider, our powerplants are massive buildings that generate electricity by the megawatts. Yet, it's all piped into homes and used by applicances that use only a fraction of it. If they can generate massive amounts of magic energy artificially, then they should find it practical to have lots of machines that use only a bit of that power at a time. The only reason, that I can think of, not to do so is because long range transmission of that energy is impossible. It'd be like you can make a nuclear reactor, but you couldn't make transmission cables longer than a few hundred meters.

Quote:
control is also limited it's good enough for conversion into other forms of energy (at a fairly low efficiency) or raw destruction but using it in more complex spells is very hard.
If magical energy can interact with physical matter at all without mages, it's possible to exploit that interaction to achive complex effects, without mages. If you can only do the following two things to magical energy without using mages, a sufficiently creative engineer can do many things.
1. A throttle for controlling the output of magical energy.
2. There is a reaction if one stream of magical energy crosses another. What kind, I can't imagine right now. But if there's anything at all, these two together can create all kinds of useful magical tools that can be used by non-mages. Consider, all our electrical technology is based on the fact that electricity flows across a voltage differential, and we can control that differential.

Quote:
Simple mana-batts have no such mechanisms and so would need to be recharged often by a large reactor somewhat impractical in many applications.
A cellphone's battery charger plugs into an electricity grid that is powered by a massive powerplant, along with many other electrical devices. This arrangement isn't very impractical, is it? Why can't the same be done for magical energy?

Quote:
That said this is also me attempting to keep to the tenants and spirit of the universe to some extent mages are a big deal and so are linker cores intern these are core elements of the verse and NOT to be casually ignored or tossed away without serious thought and justification IMO.
Does that mean I have to discard my TSAB-antagonistic civilization because they can use conventional powerplants to generate magic instead of electricity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Look at the thing, it's basically a huge artificial Linker Core.
That would make large-scale artificial magical energy generation without mages a fact. If you can get that energy to where it's needed and make it do what is needed without a mage, the possibilities are endless.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2008-04-05 at 05:56.
Old 2008-04-05, 05:20   Link #22983
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
That would make large-scale artificial magical energy generation without mages a fact. If you can get that energy to where it's needed and make it do what is needed without a mage, the possibilities are endless.
It's the easiest way to explain how warships can fire magical attacks, and magical attacks of a level mages can't at that.
Old 2008-04-05, 06:38   Link #22984
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
It's like this: After knowing that they banned non-magic weaponry, I began thinking of all combat systems in Nanoha as magic-based systems. After all, if they banned something, then they ought to try to avoid violating it as much as possible, right?
What a wonderfully idealist world you must live in... we got rid of our Napalm becasue it was "inhumane" then replaced it with something just as bad with a different name.

Governments have a LONG proud tradition of saying one thing and doing the total opposite when it becomes convenient. No matter HOW it's done the fact is the TSAB has an arsenal of weapons that EASILY class as WMD magic based or not fire them and everyone in a city dies. I've always felt the ban was more propaganda then some actual deep seated desire to prevent suffering, since again they seem perfectly willing to annihilate cites with other weapons if need be. Looking at it this way them deciding to allow certain sorts of normal weapons makes perfect sense if that's the easiest solution.

Quote:
In that light, the only way magic-based training drones are practical and economical is if Mid has the tech to generate magical energy artificially.
BTW, the XV's main beam cannon has to be magic-based. Otherwise it would be a unexcusable, clear and complete violation of the ban.
You mean the ban that allows the TSAB to deploy tanks into battle and vaporise cites at the discretion of a ship captain? As noted I consider the entire ban a hollow farce so I have no real trobule buying that the TSAB would violate it and use conventional or non-magical weapons as the need suits them. No willy nilly and just for the hell of it, but if it was the only or best way to get something done. After all at least some of their top level leaders where basiclly condoning some rather ethically bankrupt human experimentation in the name of combat prowess allowing a few conventional weapons here and there looks tame by comparison.

Quote:
Have we ever seen a mage pop in a cartridge, cast two spells before replacing it? If we have, that means you don't need to drain all the power in a cart at once. Even if we haven't, draining a cart in one shot could a style choice instead of a design issue. Deilver the biggest punch you can with each attack. What if the "biggest punch" only used a tenth of a cart?
This it bull and you know it it would make no sense for them to be pounding out cartridges like a machine gun rounds if there "biggest punch" was only a tenth of the shells energy. We also normally see them enraged specially to cast something and there often fired BEFORE the spell even begins indicating there being drained to simply jump start it.

Quote:
When I watch that scene, I'm reminded of what I read about a 19th century country requiring its soldiers to mix their own gunpowder. It didn't help them against the British who mass-produced their gunpowder in factories. It may be that that's the only way to make cartridges, true. But it could be that they just lacked the resources to build a magic energy generator. It also may be that they didn't want Hayate wondering what the fancy machine (cartridge charger) in the basement was for.
You know the proper method when confronted by evidence isn't to invent a bunch of excuses and stuff we never see it's to go with what the evidence tells us. We've only seen cartridges made one way effectively hand loaded by a mage, never even a HINT of any sort of factory or mass production in use.

The logical person looks at this and says "well based on what we see storing mana in cartridges seems to be something mages have to do by hand in some sort of ritual." The illogical person jumps on the fact that it dosen't specifically disprove there own pet theory. Never mind it provides no evidence at all to support it either or indeed is circumstantial evidence against it so long as it isn't flat out contradicted they could still be "right". So far as I'm concern cartridges are a highly individualized thing that the mage needs to do themselves by an large.

Quote:
That evidence that such technology is possible at all would be strong incentive to discover how to replicate it. Their chances of success is another thing though.
If that's acutally how it works see how I noted we really have very little idea what exactly they are or how they work. It's entirely possible the TSAB has no clue either if you gave say a microchip to Leonardo Da vinci who wouldn't even be able to examine it's workings never mind attempt to figure out it's method of operation. I bet this is about the level the TSAB is at in it's understanding of Lost Logia, well maybe not quite that bad they know they're dangerous as all hell and perhaps how to safely dispose of them (though that could be through bloody trail and error), but not allot more from what we can tell they're basiclly black boxes.

I'll perhaps concede it might not be specifically impossible within Nanoha's framework, but with the stipulation it is pretty much impossible for anyone on roughly the TSABs tech level.

Quote:
Storage - Either those Lost Logia were charged by a mage with an order of magnitude more magical energy than we've seen before, or it was charged by a high-output generator. Either, that they still have so much energy even after centuries or more means long term storage of magical energy outside of LCs is possible.
Or it was charged by many mages, or it was charged over along time, etc. A very high power density at the end need not imply a absurdly high generation capacity.

Quote:
Production - It is possible to make high-output artificial magical energy generators very, very small. Therefore a lesser civilization may be able to make larger, less efficient generators.
Something to think about, isn't it?
You just jump forth and assume they are magic generators that's hardly a given the truth is we have no clue what the hell they are or indeed what they were used for they seem to react to magic in various ways, but many cases that reaction is basiclly to just explode violently or even mutate things around them not gush forth a fountain of usable magical energy. Also notice how most of them appear almost inert until exposed to mages or magic used by them in specific ways, to me this would acutally tend to indicate they might well have been intended for us by mages back in the day.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they can do that. It's the only way they can power a warship's main weapon.
It's not the only way they could be doing using more conventional sci-fi tech easily techno-babble power sources with nearly magical properties (some that border on violating the laws of psychics) are a staple of sci-fi after all. I don't think they are, but the nature of the gun itself (big ass beam) hardly rules it out.

Quote:
Consider, our powerplants are massive buildings that generate electricity by the megawatts. Yet, it's all piped into homes and used by applicances that use only a fraction of it. If they can generate massive amounts of magic energy artificially, then they should find it practical to have lots of machines that use only a bit of that power at a time.
There are main problem I see with this is that first off the energy needs to be in a usable form for the machine in question to work. Allot of modern appliance can't just run on raw magic becasue they use electricity and such to do what they do I doubt you could replace the electricity in a motor for instance with "magical energy" and still have it work.

So it's entirely possible that all this raw energy is acutally pretty useless for doing any real work and needs to be converted into good old electricity first. That's my take on it magic is used to make "clean" energy, but the end product used by Mid citizens is pretty much the same sort of AC current you and I know and love.

Quote:
The only reason, that I can think of, not to do so is because long range transmission of that energy is impossible. It'd be like you can make a nuclear reactor, but you couldn't make transmission cables longer than a few hundred meters.
Which was acutally the case at first with say DC current, if we didn't have AC we'd need power planets in every town, or every few blocks in a city. This is basiclly what I'd say this energy can be generated, but it dosen't like existing in high concentrations in one place and it wants to scatter again at the slightest opportunity. This also helps explain why most magic combat seems so short ranged the energy just dose not want to stay together it wants to disperse back to it's natural concentration in the environment.

We also must consider efficnecy perhaps you COULD contain the mana and pipe it long distances, but the cost of doing so is higher then the energy content of the stream. Remember to be viable for commercial applications just making power isn't enough it has to be efficient and cost competitive with other options. Supporting this is that we basiclly never seem mana just free flowing down a simple cable or the like it always seems to be channeled or contained somehow. Those of you reading all this might note quite a few similarities to high energy plasma and indeed I think that for raw magical particles that's not a totally unfair comparison.

Quote:
If magical energy can interact with physical matter at all without mages, it's possible to exploit that interaction to achive complex effects, without mages. If you can only do the following two things to magical energy without using mages, a sufficiently creative engineer can do many things.
1. A throttle for controlling the output of magical energy.
2. There is a reaction if one stream of magical energy crosses another. What kind, I can't imagine right now. But if there's anything at all, these two together can create all kinds of useful magical tools that can be used by non-mages. Consider, all our electrical technology is based on the fact that electricity flows across a voltage differential, and we can control that differential.
Probably, but the problem remains lots of stuff is possible, and still utterly impractical. We're also entering into a realm here where lack of data makes any serious argument very difficult.

Basically though I'm looking at this entire issue like this: Mid dosen't seem to use genuine magi-tech on a large scale most of there stuff appears mundane and still powered by normal sources. This isn't really up for debate this is just how it is now we can either assume EVERYONE in that society is a total retard and isn't exploiting magics full potential in the slightest or we can assume that various factors prevent it's widespread replacement of more mundane systems at least for the foreseeable future.

Now we might rag on the TSAB and Mid at times, but I find myself hard pressed to buy the former and so I favor the later and think of reasons it's so. There is no shortage of them to use.

Quote:
A cellphone's battery charger plugs into an electricity grid that is powered by a massive powerplant, along with many other electrical devices. This arrangement isn't very impractical, is it? Why can't the same be done for magical energy?
Well first it assumes “mana = electricity” in terms of being able to be shipped long distances intact. It also assumes ready accesses to a massive infrastructure to support this take your cell phone out into the wilderness of Alaska for instance and see how practical it is then. It might be vaguely practical from a civilian standpoint but from a military stand point it’s not so hot you’d be tied down to enormous effectively immobile generators with giant “BOMB ME TO CRIPPLE MY ENTIRE ARMY” signs hung on them.

Quote:
Does that mean I have to discard my TSAB-antagonistic civilization because they can use conventional powerplants to generate magic instead of electricity?
I'd have issues buying that myself I acutally favor the opposite some sort of magic generator that converts raw magic into usable electricity. Indeed this entire thing seems ass backward we see mana converted into all sorts of stuff fire, lightning, ice, etc but I can't recall ever seeing any of this raw energy converted into mana.

If this was you're idea then I think it needs some serious rethinking at least.

Quote:
It's still entirely different then using a normal power plant to generate magical energy since it's probably outputting raw magic as it's main byproduct. It also again assumes this is efficient, scalable to a smaller size, that the energy can be effectively manipulated, etc.

It's also worth noting that while the Linker core is mainly a generator/refinery it's doing something else as well since "draining" it in A's provided not only energy but also information about the mages spells of the owner. So to me at least it seems like the raw energy being produced might well not be the entire "magic" going on with the linker core...

I lastly know this isn't a valid argument, but I just don't think such massive non-mage magic is the intent or aim of the creator of the verse.

Old 2008-04-05, 07:21   Link #22985
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

This reminds me of the time I said there were artificial LCs, just that none of them smaller than a tank gun. This probably is the reason why the tanks were useless and Storm Raider's mounted sidearm weren't fired all thru StrikerS.
Old 2008-04-05, 08:13   Link #22986
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
I know it's not much... but heck, any Backlog deserves a Breaker

[Connection]

[A.Y. Connnected Unknown]
[Unknown Connected A.Y.]

[N.W. Connnected Unknown]
[Unknown Connected N.W.]

[E.H. Connnected Unknown]
[Unknown Connected E.H.]

[Miryoku Activate]

[Crimson Blood Cross]

[Eternal Loyalty Sword]

[Final Bust(er) Impact]

Spoiler for SUPER CERTAIN KILL!!!:

*runs from ensuing explosions*

just one question, is that spell rings on Arika's element?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Okay... new unit commander template... going back to the shock enforcer unit... SOMEONE has to make it, and I have just the asshole for the job.

Spoiler for The Admiral that Negotiates with his fists:

It's a rough idea of what I'm gonna' turn him into. And it'll develope better when the story reaches that point.
Kyla: Even though you're 10 years older, you're still 10 years behind me!!!! *dodges punch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
*Points at previous attempts, all of which are riddled with hacks*
Try these Profiles for inspirations:

Bridget, The Third Templar of the New Ring

Rurika, The Second Templar of the New Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
Spoiler for This should be done on images and long posts:
Welcome...

*sharpens cleaver*
Old 2008-04-05, 09:00   Link #22987
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
This reminds me of the time I said there were artificial LCs, just that none of them smaller than a tank gun. This probably is the reason why the tanks were useless and Storm Raider's mounted sidearm weren't fired all thru StrikerS.
....Kha, DO YOU NOT REMEMBER HOW WE POINTED OUT TO YOU THAT STORM RAIDER'S THING PROJECTING FROM THE SIDE WAS AN AIR TO AIR REFULLING PROBE?!?! IT IS NOT A LASCANON!

Also, the term sidearm is wrong. A sidearm is a handheld weapon used by a soldier or policeman, typically worn in a holster on the belt - hence sidearm.

Aka a PISTOL.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-04-05, 09:16   Link #22988
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Goose, could you calm down a little? That was a long time ago. Heck, I didn't remember it either untill you reminded us.

Really, you've been really jumpy lately.
Old 2008-04-05, 09:22   Link #22989
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
What a wonderfully idealist world you must live in... we got rid of our Napalm becasue it was "inhumane" then replaced it with something just as bad with a different name.
It depends on what sustains their current ban on magic. Thin paper rules or thick belief.

You'll notice a distinction is that you and I can personally see the hypocrisy of our Napalm policy. However, from what little we can see of them, they don't really see the hypocrisy of their own policy. This shows a large difference in our zeitgeists.

Probably the only thing that even comes w/i a light year to it to it is our nuke antipathy. An external observer will be quite surprised, considering our warlike nature and our willingness to use almost every other kind of weapon and get around almost any restriction regarding their use. Sure, we pretend to ourselves to justify it by mumbling about the reactions of other big powers, but let's be frank, how many people think Moscow or Beijing will like to trade themselves, for example, for Pyongyang or Hanoi?

But at least we can still perceive such thoughts, but Middies apparently don't with their restriction. Even when Scarlietti uses supposedly non-magical energy, he chooses one right next door that can be used as if it were magic with no new conversion with the AMFs go up.

And when you are dealing with something like that, they have to keep their own distinctions. It looks thin to us. Given the crummy (rather illogical and hypocritical) reasons they use to defend their policy, it is everything to them.

Quote:
Looking at it this way them deciding to allow certain sorts of normal weapons makes perfect sense if that's the easiest solution.
But you hadn't been able to establish that this is necessarily the "easiest solution". And it'll be throwing out a major point of the StrikerS show, which is that they don't use conventional weapons because of irrational phobias that are no longer even being rationalized very well, because it is apparently presumed to be self-evident.

Quote:
After all at least some of their top level leaders where basiclly condoning some rather ethically bankrupt human experimentation in the name of combat prowess allowing a few conventional weapons here and there looks tame by comparison.
Actually, the very fact that they are going for "rather ethically bankrupt human experimentation" rather than going to conventional weapons tells us much about their priorities, no?

Quote:
You know the proper method when confronted by evidence isn't to invent a bunch of excuses and stuff we never see it's to go with what the evidence tells us. We've only seen cartridges made one way effectively hand loaded by a mage, never even a HINT of any sort of factory or mass production in use.
I find it amazing that you are easily willing to say they'll violate their obvious religious like disdain for "mass weapons" on your logic alone, but completely ban other people's logic with circumstantial evidence.

Quote:
The logical person looks at this and says "well based on what we see storing mana in cartridges seems to be something mages have to do by hand in some sort of ritual." The illogical person jumps on the fact that it dosen't specifically disprove there own pet theory. Never mind it provides no evidence at all to support it either or indeed is circumstantial evidence against it so long as it isn't flat out contradicted they could still be "right". So far as I'm concern cartridges are a highly individualized thing that the mage needs to do themselves by an large.
Then why do we not see Nanoha or Fate load their own cartridges. In fact, by StrikerS, we see that cartridges are so common even non elite members (like Subaru and Teana, who were in some random Force) could use them. Are you saying that very precious and not awfully common mages are taken off front line duties just to stuff cartridges that mere C-ranks use like water?

It is frankly, rather implausible given the wide proliferation that it is still being made by "cottage industry" methods, and the only piece of evidence is so weak and so specialized in circumstance it barely even rates as evidence by your own admission.

Quote:
It's not the only way they could be doing using more conventional sci-fi tech easily techno-babble power sources with nearly magical properties (some that border on violating the laws of psychics) are a staple of sci-fi after all. I don't think they are, but the nature of the gun itself (big ass beam) hardly rules it out.
You are willing to add the extra complexity of entirely non-magical "technobabble power sources" that are "nearly magical" (frankly, calling a sci-fi power plant "more conventional" is horribly iffy at best), yet you are not willing to just use the Fully Magical Power Source that is already there?

Quote:
There are main problem I see with this is that first off the energy needs to be in a usable form for the machine in question to work. Allot of modern appliance can't just run on raw magic becasue they use electricity and such to do what they do I doubt you could replace the electricity in a motor for instance with "magical energy" and still have it work.
No. You'll design a "motor" that will work with the magical energy, just as you use different systems to extract mechanical power from thermal steam than from the electrical power of electricity.

Quote:
So it's entirely possible that all this raw energy is acutally pretty useless for doing any real work and needs to be converted into good old electricity first. That's my take on it magic is used to make "clean" energy, but the end product used by Mid citizens is pretty much the same sort of AC current you and I know and love.
And at that point, the AC current has to be somehow converted into not only a free-floating hologram, but a free-floating forcefield (so you can poke and type on it) using methods so complex it might as well be magic, so why not just cut the AC middleman?

Quote:
Which was acutally the case at first with say DC current, if we didn't have AC we'd need power planets in every town, or every few blocks in a city. This is basiclly what I'd say this energy can be generated, but it dosen't like existing in high concentrations in one place and it wants to scatter again at the slightest opportunity. This also helps explain why most magic combat seems so short ranged the energy just dose not want to stay together it wants to disperse back to it's natural concentration in the environment.
One would think then, they'll want to try and speed up the darn rounds so they can last a little farther because dispersal

Quote:
Basically though I'm looking at this entire issue like this: Mid dosen't seem to use genuine magi-tech on a large scale most of there stuff appears mundane and still powered by normal sources. This isn't really up for debate this is just how it is now we can either assume EVERYONE in that society is a total retard and isn't exploiting magics full potential in the slightest or we can assume that various factors prevent it's widespread replacement of more mundane systems at least for the foreseeable future.
What is "genuine magitech"? In fact, it looks more like except for cars and helicopters, which specified to use some kind of clean fuel and are remarkably mundane in their performance, the rest is magitech. If you insist the stuff they do is not magitech, you'll just have to invent a method for them to do the same thing with electricity, thus doubling the handwaving and rationalizations (you have to make one set for mages, who do a lot of this stuff with magic, and a second set for the machinery, who do magic-like things with something that is uh ... not magic).

And you'll have to explain such little inconveniences like the lights going off in HQ when the AMFs came on. If they were being run on electricity (which would be easy), they'll have kept going on. But no, even Regius' precious meeting room gets its power cut.

Quote:
I lastly know this isn't a valid argument, but I just don't think such massive non-mage magic is the intent or aim of the creator of the verse.
That one at least kinda went out with Arcie, which is specifically a madouhou (magical cannon). Unless you want to believe Lindy powered it,there is at least magical power generation for ships.
Old 2008-04-05, 10:06   Link #22990
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Goose, could you calm down a little? That was a long time ago. Heck, I didn't remember it either untill you reminded us.

Really, you've been really jumpy lately.
Quite he's been a bit uppity in the IRC too, seriously dude chill out a bit okay.

Old 2008-04-05, 10:10   Link #22991
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
....Kha, DO YOU NOT REMEMBER HOW WE POINTED OUT TO YOU THAT STORM RAIDER'S THING PROJECTING FROM THE SIDE WAS AN AIR TO AIR REFULLING PROBE?!?! IT IS NOT A LASCANON!

Also, the term sidearm is wrong. A sidearm is a handheld weapon used by a soldier or policeman, typically worn in a holster on the belt - hence sidearm.

Aka a PISTOL.
Oh, I must've missed that. Not that it mattered anyway, I was about to explain in Rebuilt why they were never fired. Saves me some effort.

Now THAT is PERFECT. I thought I was gonna need another vehicle for that mission to the North Pole, but now all I need to add is a stop over the refuelling blip.

Better not let ATC's Intelligent fighter get near that gig though.

(Yes I've managed to cut down on training, so I added more exotic on-planet missions with the extra time.)

And yes do calm down. Try not smoking my Khrack for a day. ()

Even with Storm Raider out of the way, it still allows us to explain why the tanks in StrikerS were useless in AMF. I vote Magicannons. Just nice to place the rifle equivalent in the hands of Outer Cadian Kirskins. :3
Old 2008-04-05, 10:12   Link #22992
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
That one at least kinda went out with Arcie, which is specifically a madouhou (magical cannon). Unless you want to believe Lindy powered it,there is at least magical power generation for ships.
Which is why I think the Cradle is the best example of what such 'magical reactors' look like. We've never seen the magic reactors of the Arthra, or any other TSAB vessel, but since the Linker Core is a central part of Nanohaverse magic, it makes the most sense that reactors on Mid work similarely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post

Name: Asclei Foresythe (19)
Device: Storage Device, Silvance (zweihander)
Barrier Jacket: Primary Phase, Delta Form
Timeline: 2 years after StrikerS

Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Red
Magic Array: Midchilda
Magic Color: Dark Red
Elemental Affinity: Lightning
Title: The Arc of Lightning

Additional Info:

Type 03 Combat Cyborg of the Type Zero series and one of the Seven Arcs.
Oh, I nearly missed this one. The art already makes this character more interesting, and he's a Type Zero sentoukijin? That certainly is original. It never fails to surprise me how little this thread does with sentoukijin.
Old 2008-04-05, 10:36   Link #22993
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Even with Storm Raider out of the way, it still allows us to explain why the tanks in StrikerS were useless in AMF. I vote Magicannons.
Whoa whoa, hold the phone a second; there were tanks in StrikerS? When was this?

Quote:
Oh, I nearly missed this one. The art already makes this character more interesting, and he's a Type Zero sentoukijin? That certainly is original. It never fails to surprise me how little this thread does with sentoukijin.
Maybe because people insist on saying "Subaru and Ginga were the only ones! You can't have another Type-00 because canon says so!"
Old 2008-04-05, 10:42   Link #22994
Wibbles
Better than you.

So, nobody read Spada or Marian's profiles?
Old 2008-04-05, 10:44   Link #22995
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Whoa whoa, hold the phone a second; there were tanks in StrikerS? When was this?
It's a small scene in StrikerS 19, but don't expect anything. You don't get to see them in action, they're only a pile of rubble.

(yes, those are DVD screens. No, they didn't change the tank.)

Quote:
Maybe because people insist on saying "Subaru and Ginga were the only ones! You can't have another Type-00 because canon says so!"
Then I'd like to know their sources. If anything StrikerS 18 suggests there definetely are more Type-00 sentoukijin out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
Same thing as last time: We read, but there's not really much to comment on.
Old 2008-04-05, 10:46   Link #22996
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Einherjar raid. Among the desert Einherjar installation's ORBAT were at least 1 helo and 1 tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
I have read them, but as you can see i'm highly jumpy and twitchy on a hair trigger, and have been so for a while, so I'm not replying, otherwise I'd kill them in an overreaction.

@Thread: Will be taking a few days off from writing or haxbusting. The last week of arguing with ark, plus IRL shitstorms, has worn my patience, and I'm obviously on a hair trigger. Unlike certain persons who will not be named (and who-wank), I will afk and try to calm down. -_-

...Lowe, USB, I expect GREAT YURICEST from you guys when I get back!

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-04-05, 10:47   Link #22997
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK3997 View Post
Looking at it this way them deciding to allow certain sorts of normal weapons makes perfect sense if that's the easiest solution.
Can you blame me for hoping they're able to keep to the intent of their ban?

Quote:
This it bull and you know it it would make no sense for them to be pounding out cartridges like a machine gun rounds if there "biggest punch" was only a tenth of the shells energy.
Chalk it up to superior Belka Armed Device designs. They can take up all that cartridge's energy in one shot, and do it repeatedly.
I was imagining an inferior design at the time. One that couldn't use an entire cartridgeload of energy at once. What happens then?

Quote:
So far as I'm concern cartridges are a highly individualized thing that the mage needs to do themselves by an large.
That would be a good reason why the Belka cartridge system wasn't widely adopted elsewhere. Either the mage has to gamble that he has enough time to charge up a stack of cartridges and recover from the exercise before battle, or have someone else do it and hope that person doesn't get taken out, putting him back in the former situation.
That's only if there's no better way to charge them, of course. Yet, if there was, Mid-type magic would benefit even more from the use of cartridges than Belka. So why wasn't it adopted earlier?

Quote:
I bet this is about the level the TSAB is at in it's understanding of Lost Logia,
but not allot more from what we can tell they're basiclly black boxes.
Black boxes that they've seen in action. There's a difference between that and an inert chunk of matter. It might be enough to get them started on a few ideas. Or not.

Quote:
A very high power density at the end need not imply a absurdly high generation capacity.
I was just going with the most practical way of doing it. Regardless, it does imply a high storage capacity and a long term one, does it not?

Quote:
You just jump forth and assume they are magic generators that's hardly a given the truth
You said they could be storing or generating magical energy, I was simply examining the implications of each possibility.
You know, those things have been shown to release huge amounts of magical energy. If it isn't stored within the device via charging, or generated by the device on the spot, and it certainly isn't provided by the mage that activated it. The next possibility I can think of is the device is opening a conduit to where the energy does exist. Your thoughts on that possibility?

Quote:
That's my take on it, magic is used to make "clean" energy, but the end product used by Mid citizens is pretty much the same sort of AC current you and I know and love.
I acutally favor the opposite some sort of magic generator that converts raw magic into usable electricity.
I don't think so. Without artificial magical energy generation, there's no way to generate the massive amounts of magic to be turned into electrical energy for widespread use. They would have to use conventional electricity generation technologies. At the most, you can have someone with electric affinity like Fate or Erio powering a PC with their magic when they can't find a plugpoint.

Quote:
Indeed this entire thing seems ass backward
If this was you're idea then I think it needs some serious rethinking at least.
I'd have to scrap it. That this civilization used magic in a way that was the complete opposite of what the Bureau knows of is supposed to be the center of their conflict with the TSAB. The Bureau believes unregulated access to magic in this manner is as destructive as unregulated nonmagical technology. This civilization refuses to cooperate by joining the TSAB system and scrapping its magitech. Eager not to let its client worlds follow the example of this civilization, the Bureau sends a fleet to destroy it. Unfortunately, this civilization proves to be better fighters and the Bureau fleet is destroyed. Then the Bureau sends a second fleet that is now engaged in a war of attrition with this civilization. Only the fact that travel time between this civilization and the Bureau is over 3 years each way prevents either side from going all out to destroy the other.
Without this magitech, it's just another generic evil empire. That's no fun for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
It depends on what sustains their current ban on magic. Thin paper rules or thick belief.
Welcome to this discussion ark. After our many confrontations, I've often wondered what it would feel like to have you on my side of a debate instead. Very nice to have your big guns firing for me instead of on me. Whether or not we will prevail, thank you for this reply.
I'll wait and see how TK replies to your post before my own response to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
Yes I've managed to cut down on training, so I added more exotic on-planet missions with the extra time.
You want to make good use of that extra time? Show Fate actually trying to find Scaglietti! Have her do actual investigation stuff, instead of who knows what, when she wasn't training or fighting with the rest of team. She's their lead investigator after all.

Quote:
Now THAT is PERFECT. I thought I was gonna need another vehicle for that mission to the North Pole, but now all I need to add is a stop over the refuelling blip.
You might need more than one pitstop. Helis have much less range than airplanes because they're not very efficient in level flight. Also, I have to add, Storm Raider's transport compartment doesn't look comfortable enough for a possibly 500+ km trip to the pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comartemis View Post
there were tanks in StrikerS? When was this?
They could be talking about the things with turrents at the Einhejar sites. Or the supposed Einhejar units themselves.

Quote:
There was at least one other unit that Quint stopped when she busted the Type Zero lab. Genya said so in ep18. Also, the mad scientist that created them was never identified. If he escaped instead of died in that lab, he may be making more while laughing at how "limited" Scaglietti's own Cyborgs are.
Old 2008-04-05, 10:54   Link #22998
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
There was at least one other unit that Quint stopped when she busted the Type Zero lab. Genya said so in ep18. Also, the mad scientist that created them was never identified. If he escaped instead of died in that lab, he may be making more while laughing at how "limited" Scaglietti's own Cyborgs are.

You know guys, I think I've just figured out what Dr Wily's been doing all these years!

*Gets back to work on Zero's backstory*
Old 2008-04-05, 11:12   Link #22999
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
*kicks himself for not bothering to do the Sento-heavy Codex Alienhunters*

Quote:
You want to make good use of that extra time? Show Fate actually trying to find Scaglietti! Have her do actual investigation stuff, instead of who knows what, when she wasn't training or fighting with the rest of team. She's their lead investigator after all.
Yes now THIS is what I need! A clear voice telling what I MUST do!

Thanks for the heads up, I've stepped up the investigations and brought the Inquisition's work into the limelight, but I left Fate behind for some reason. This'll definitely do nicely to bring Arf and Zafira in as well, if only for Sniffers. :3

Quote:
You might need more than one pitstop. Helis have much less range than airplanes because they're not very efficient in level flight. Also, I have to add, Storm Raider's transport compartment doesn't look comfortable enough for a possibly 500+ km trip to the pole.
...I'll take that back.

Kha: On second thought, go ahead and file the request for the dropship.
Hayate: I knew Kha-chan'd see things my way someday. :3
Kha: ...

Quote:
You just gave me a Mindburst. Now if only I can sort out my thoughts and make it WORK for Subaru and Ginga without Khracking it all up!!!

Quote:

You know guys, I think I've just figured out what Dr Wily's been doing all these years!

...now why does this give me a vibe that we're about to do the same thing...? After all, the Nakajima sisters were Rebuilt into Maverick Hunters somewhat in the Beta......

*dodges Haxxbuster potshots*

On second thought, I'll see what you're doing, then I'll see if I can use yours as a basis. That way, I can bring your OC in for StrikerS, and maybe help you with your idea better. >3
Old 2008-04-05, 11:16   Link #23000
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

That's the spirit, take what is unknown and use it for your own purposes!

Now write it down in a way even those of us who don't know a thing about Megaman can understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
You just gave me a Mindburst. Now if only I can sort out my thoughts and make it WORK for Subaru and Ginga without Khracking it all up!!!
... I think -Fate- is starting a severe Sentoukijin rush. My mental gears are grinding as well.
Closed Thread