AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-02-15, 19:19   Link #1
Kyme

Do you think Ninja swords should be used more often?

I mean look at the history of the Ninja. The most famous weapons of a ninja are things such as kunai's and shurikens, but the most famous by far is his Ninja sword or Ninjato. And it kind of bugs me that the only character I've seen using a ninja sword is the first examiner of the preliminaries who was then.....well you know. Now I don't think that every character should be using or carrying a Ninja sword. But I wished a few more characters would carry the sword. The Ninja sword is just as much apar of the image of a ninja as his costume. Well I do know that this is a anime, but I wished the creator would have more sword carrying ninjas in his series. So what do you guys think?
Kyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 19:20   Link #2
Lost World
Banned

I agree. Swords are sweet.
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 19:52   Link #3
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyme
I mean look at the history of the Ninja. The most famous weapons of a ninja are things such as kunai's and shurikens, but the most famous by far is his Ninja sword or Ninjato. And it kind of bugs me that the only character I've seen using a ninja sword is the first examiner of the preliminaries who was then.....well you know. Now I don't think that every character should be using or carrying a Ninja sword. But I wished a few more characters would carry the sword. The Ninja sword is just as much apar of the image of a ninja as his costume. Well I do know that this is a anime, but I wished the creator would have more sword carrying ninjas in his series. So what do you guys think?
I like seeing things other then swords all the time. I like seeing weapons that aren't used in your average Anime.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 19:52   Link #4
Druu Saki
monkey in the bathroom...

no, but i think the giant shurikens should make more appearances
Druu Saki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 20:00   Link #5
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Hummm... now that I think about it... if someone as fast as Gai or Lee were to use swords, instead of getting one hit off... they would probably be able to fatally wound their enemies...but hell, that wouldn't be fun... it'd be like,

"foooooosh!"

*slice*

*dead*

wouldn't make for very entertaining action know what I mean? Naruto is interesting partially because of the variety of styles of combat everyone has. I mean, if Neji iron claw gloves, people would be filled with 64 holes when he's done with his 64 hands of Hakke move. It's all for entertainment.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 22:39   Link #6
Umbrae
Generic Human

I was kind of suprised that Lee did not use any sort of weapons. Considering what he is up aginst in alot of circumstances his only hope would be to use his superior speed and basic non magic combat to disable or kill his oponet before they could get off a set of hand seals.
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 00:15   Link #7
wnkryo
HainShodan

Didn't that guy who was a referee for the preliminary chuunin matchs yeild a sword?
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 00:25   Link #8
Kyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Didn't that guy who was a referee for the preliminary chuunin matchs yeild a sword?
Yeah he did, I mentioned that in my first post BTW. And he seems to be the only one throughout the entire series to use a Ninja sword.
Kyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 00:46   Link #9
LordDemon
Yami no Ou

If Lee had those knuckle-weapons like Asuma then he'd own all.
LordDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 00:49   Link #10
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

ninjas didnt really use swords too much... assassins normally like to carry daggers not swords. besides, naruto (the anime not the character) wouldnt as good with swords.
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 00:49   Link #11
Spike9711137

spoiler for the manga

Spoiler:
Spike9711137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 02:27   Link #12
zillford
Wandering/Rambling Artist

I second Zoro's statement, only too add that REAL historical people who we would refer to as ninjas typically used any bit of sharp, concealable metal they could wrap in cloth.

most ninja wouldn't spare the expense for a combat-ready sword/weapon as they weren't especially well versed in straight up combat, and thus didn't need a weapon that could withstand another weapon's impact. they just needed a sharp edge to stab with.

now, if you're question is "ninja fantasy" related, then I'd agree with Slade: it wouldn't lend itself to a "trading blows" kinda deal.

and finally:
since the world of Naruto is constructed by one person, their personal preferance is key. maybe Kishimoto just REALLY enjoys drawing kunai? *shrugs*
zillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 03:15   Link #13
SurfD

Send a message via ICQ to SurfD Send a message via MSN to SurfD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
ninjas didnt really use swords too much... assassins normally like to carry daggers not swords. besides, naruto (the anime not the character) wouldnt as good with swords.
Add to this the fact that in Samauri era Fudal Japan (the traditional home period of the Ninja), most Ninja were usually holding down a day job as a peasant, rice farmer, or other normal non-Samauri job, and that there was a penalty of instant death to anyone other than a Samauri or Feudal Lord caught with a sword (ever wonder why most Samauri movies depict the non-Samauri armed forces as carrying spears, or pikes/pole-arms), and there is a very, VERY good reason why Ninja tended to stick to easy to conceal, non obvious weaponry.
SurfD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 04:32   Link #14
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyme
... what about the test 2.5 administrator (the one that
Spoiler:
)
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 08:48   Link #15
Sethi
StormRider

I think that they could use Swords and other different weapons more not like all the ninjas but some of them, because it would be cool to see more fights with some different weapons instead of the basic Kunai and Shuriken.
for instance:

Spoiler:

those kind of fights are nice because not only are they different but the weapons used are original and we don't see that often.
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 08:48   Link #16
mightyme

also
Spoiler:
mightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 09:52   Link #17
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyme
also
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

All of this was based in one of the various legends that are used in Naruto

Last edited by Vicious; 2004-02-16 at 10:11.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 10:06   Link #18
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Hummm... now that I think about it... if someone as fast as Gai or Lee were to use swords, instead of getting one hit off... they would probably be able to fatally wound their enemies...but hell, that wouldn't be fun... it'd be like,

"foooooosh!"

*slice*

*dead*
Someone moving really fast....using a sword....??

Then it won't be Naruto anymore, it'd be Rurouni Kenshin!!
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 10:30   Link #19
smoolish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druu Saki
no, but i think the giant shurikens should make more appearances
lol, remember Mizuki?? He used giant shurikens. But then Iruka took the hit, and he continued to swing around trees, so they're USELESS.
smoolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 10:53   Link #20
Hanabishi_Recca
Parrothead

I like swords

I suppose they don't want it to become too much like Kenshin or another samurai series. Actually ninja aren't known for "ninja swords" or even shuriken. They were known to have a wide range of tools. Certain tools for certain jobs. Although I agree, I would like to see more sword use and more giant shuriken use. If they do anymore fillers I would like to see more giant shuriken. I'm sure they would be much more effective against those giant snakes than kunai with exploding tags.
Hanabishi_Recca is offline   Reply With Quote