Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-17, 19:06   Link #1
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
Anime based on foreigner living in Japan

hey guys... just wondering if there exists an anime series where the protagonist is a foreigner living in Japan and the story revolving around his/her life living in Japan like settling in and getting used to their surroundings... and so on

thanks in advance
Old 2009-05-17, 19:13   Link #2
jedinat

That would be such an annoying anime, likely totally reliant on Japanese stereotypes. I don't think such an anime exists, at least to the degree you imply.
Old 2009-05-17, 19:23   Link #3
Kuya
Skateboarder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubZ View Post
hey guys... just wondering if there exists an anime series where the protagonist is a foreigner living in Japan and the story revolving around his/her life living in Japan like settling in and getting used to their surroundings... and so on

thanks in advance
You do know that historically speaking Japan is a homogenous society (even today) meaning they dont really welcome foreigners in their country maybe if your a tourist yeah but an immigrant I dont think so

so it would be impossible to find such anime besides anime is made/originated in japan by japanese people so why put a redneck in there

edit: oh theres quite a few:
Ouran High school Host club - Tamaki is half japanese half-foreigner
Onegai Twins - Protag is like tamaki when it comes to race
Old 2009-05-17, 20:38   Link #4
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
thanks for the input mate... i guess it is unlikely for a series like that to exist

ohh well :P
Old 2009-05-17, 22:05   Link #5
james0246

A short subject series (heavy on ecchi and panty shots) known as Colorful has quite a few segments about Americans in Japan, although the Americans are often commenting on how Japan is not like what they imagined...

That being said, there is no real anime like Megatokyo...
Old 2009-05-18, 00:35   Link #6
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Hmm in Genshiken 2, there is 2 eps where American Otakus comes to visit Japan.
Quite realistic i think, as the Japanesse explain the difference between Japan's society and America society.
Old 2009-05-18, 02:00   Link #7
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Darker than Black.

Hei is Chinese and Yin is... uh... Finnish? I can't quite remember. Both of them are rather awkward in interacting with the Japanese people. I guess it counts.
Old 2009-05-18, 05:46   Link #8
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Darker than Black.

Hei is Chinese and Yin is... uh... Finnish? I can't quite remember. Both of them are rather awkward in interacting with the Japanese people. I guess it counts.
You know, that was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this topic. When I watched the series I kept thinking that Hei must be pretending to be Chinese, because it seemed inconceivable that he actually IS Chinese.

But unfortunately, it's not exactly what the OP was hoping for though.
Old 2009-05-18, 15:33   Link #9
Coruja

Marmalade Boy. The so-called "New York" arc has got both: an American character moving to Japan, and a Japanese character moving to the USA, through a kind of college students exchange programm. Although, it's a shoujo anime, so I don't know if you're into that.
Old 2009-05-18, 19:22   Link #10
Shadow Kira01

I am not so sure but...

Darker than Black: The protagonist Hei can eat 12 bowls of rice and would pretty much eat anything that is four-legged with the exception of a table.

Death Note: L isn't really a protagonist but I don't think you can consider him an antagonist, can you?

Gundam 00: Setsuna is from the Kurdish Republic but he actually spends more time in space than on Earth, so perhaps.. This doesn't really count.
Old 2009-05-18, 20:58   Link #11
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
Although, it's a shoujo anime, so I don't know if you're into that.
Oh my gosh, it's a shoujo anime! Run for your life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Death Note: L isn't really a protagonist but I don't think you can consider him an antagonist, can you?
L is THE heroic antagonist of Death Note, since he opposes the villainous protagonist Light.
Old 2009-05-24, 07:42   Link #12
violentv

lol the 1st thing that popped into my mind was Negima! but I suppose it doesnt count?
Old 2009-05-25, 02:42   Link #13
Knight Hawk
Lurker

What about Yotsubato? I mean, Yotsuba isn't japanese! Story pretty much revolves around her.
Closed Thread