AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-07, 20:14   Link #441
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Haha, the way you think I know nothing about Tokyo is just as irritating. I may be getting close to my (ganman) point as well.

Quote:
Search it out, but do not randomly go 'uggh, don't visit Tokyo! It’s concrete and nothing else, waste of time.'
I don't remember myself or anyone else mentioning that.

Quote:
It. Is. A. City.
Obviously, but it's not too much to ask for a patch of grass or a tree here and there. I'm not talking about a whole park. I personally don't like cities as I prefer the nature (which may make me more sensitive to the issue), but out of all the cities I've been to in the world, Tokyo may be the most lacking when it comes to this. I've talked to many people who can feel that element of unnaturalness to Tokyo.

But again, no one is hating on Tokyo like you seem to think. Tokyo is my hometown (city) so no matter how many issues I have with its city aspects, I’ll always have a very deep connection to it. So maybe you can come off your Tokyo high horse.

Quote:
Kyoto is great at all, but is just as crowded with tourists, hell, you'll catch more foreigners doing the same damn thing as you, trying to experience the same than you'll see natives.
This is true.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 00:33   Link #442
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Obviously, but it's not too much to ask for a patch of grass or a tree here and there. I'm not talking about a whole park. I personally don't like cities as I prefer the nature (which may make me more sensitive to the issue), but out of all the cities I've been to in the world, Tokyo may be the most lacking when it comes to this. I've talked to many people who can feel that element of unnaturalness to Tokyo.
That's the funny thing.
I walk around and see the trees here and there. A lot of main roads have tree lined streets. In the spring a busy section of central Tokyo (let's take Meiji Dori) can be transformed in pink, in autumn as it was some months back it can be transformed into a red/gold/green kaleidoscope.
You can walk down many small streets of residential areas and find the odd hidden tree lined river here or there, or a shrine surrounded with trees and plants. Depending on the shrine, if it's fairly big, a small garden can be found to sit and relax in relative silence and greenery just maybe 2-3 mins from a main noisy traffic jam packed high street, but you'd never guess from the change in atmosphere.
If it's not parks you're thinking of but some green here and there and the trees big and small planted and scattered around central isn't enough, then I wonder what aspect of 'greenery' you're thinking of as a native resident of the city.

The only aspect I can relate to in terms of that 'unnaturalness' is that it's literally squeezing 12million odd or so people in a very small circumference of space, so it's incredibly overwhelming. I don't think other major cities are any less unnatural than Tokyo, save in the fact that they have slightly more space to spread the hustle and bustle over, whereas central tokyo is crammed, packed and concentrated. (Well a good majority of cities within the country typically are)

I mentioned above, it's not just you guys, it's something I've heard a fair bit time and time again so when i read the post earlier it was like
Just as you have your deep connection to the city, I've my own as a city slicker from another culture who often makes the comparison and contrast between the two, which probably why I went off on one.
At least if people reading here want a general impression, to think they're not really gonna get to see a blade of grass about isn't doing it justice. It's not as bad on the negative front as typical tourist guides show via pictures (neon lights at night, typically) or give by hearsay.

At the end of the day, always best to do your homework in regards to what a person wants from a holiday, but if we're all giving opinions in here as advice to others at least peeps should at least try to balance the bad with the good.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-03-08 at 00:53.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 00:55   Link #443
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

As your tone has changed, I'll go ahead and offer up an apology for my attitude in my previous posts.

What the problem probably is, is space. Japan is limited on space and Tokyo even more so. (Although it'll probably increase its size in time as it grows and swallows up its surroundings) The proportionality between areas with and without is probably what gets to me. This is; however, sort of unavoidable as Tokyo has to try and cram a ton of people and buildings into a limited area (like you mentioned).

But I should also make it clear like Mystique has been trying to do, that there is plenty of green to be found in Tokyo if you look for it. I wasn't trying to deny that, I was just voicing a complaint that you'll hear from many people, tourists and natives alike.
Old 2009-03-08, 01:07   Link #444
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

*offers an olive branch from up above her high horse*
Tone changed, cause I went outside and came back and my emotions have calmed down xD
So I don't blame ya for retaliating in kind off of them.
But I still stand by my words and feelings earlier, as you said it's a complaint many people utter, I have already heard it over and over and over and it's like 'kyaaaaaa', so I'll be riding up on here for a little while longer I suppose.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-03-08, 01:24   Link #445
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

*offers the same in exchange but is stifled by the cross Pacific distance*

I understand your frustrations on the topic. I guess I shouldn't have jumped in when I did and this discussion could've proceeded more civilly. Oh well, it's over with and all is good. I'm sure somebody still got something out of it anyway. ( maybe?)
Old 2009-03-08, 19:22   Link #446
Yuelon
喜怒哀

Then what happen to those cherry blossom moments happen in Tokyo?
Do we have to go to the outskirts of Tokyo or Osaka/Kyoto to view the rich pretty BLOSSOMS ><

Then again Tokyo where top students and otaku rule in, can't help it if there isn't much green there.

I just like a quick question where would be the best place for first visit to Japan not exclusive to Tokyo any where like Hokkaido or all the way down to Osaka ANY Where. Would like any festivals or events around that time.

Times: Spring And Winter.
Whether do I not know
Why can't we be togather like Moon & Stars.

Yuelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 00:30   Link #447
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuelon View Post
Then what happen to those cherry blossom moments happen in Tokyo?
Do we have to go to the outskirts of Tokyo or Osaka/Kyoto to view the rich pretty BLOSSOMS ><

Where ever there is a sakura tree, and where ever there is some free time (like weekend) and good weather, be sure you'll see someone with a sake bottle underneath it, creating hiaku masterpieces
(In other words, the Japanese rarely let a chance to paty slip by)

Yes it is in tokyo, it's in Tokyo central too (which I'll visit this year) Heading over to Uneo park will be filled (good weather permitting) with families and work people having hanami.
Quote:
There are more than one thousand cherry trees in Ueno Park along the street that leads from the Saigo statue towards the National Museum and around Shinobazu Pond.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'pretty' though, the only difference to head to the hills is that you'll see the pink among a mass of other flowers along the hills, so it's a bit of a natural rainbow.
Quote:
Then again Tokyo where top students and otaku rule in, can't help it if there isn't much green there.
*Just sighs*
Quote:
I just like a quick question where would be the best place for first visit to Japan not exclusive to Tokyo any where like Hokkaido or all the way down to Osaka ANY Where. Would like any festivals or events around that time.

Times: Spring And Winter.
This is a events calander for the March and April month in tokyo and areas surrounding it, some of the hanami festivals are mentioned there if you scroll down.
You can also filter by week, which will give you more details on smaller festivals, or just look at a generic events calander for april.

Official tourist websites offer way more info and tips than us guys here, so make sure to browse around that website and bookmark it if you're planning to visit as well as check out a generic 'Japan guide' website too.

Old 2009-03-10, 04:03   Link #448
Yuelon
喜怒哀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

Where ever there is a sakura tree, and where ever there is some free time (like weekend) and good weather, be sure you'll see someone with a sake bottle underneath it, creating hiaku masterpieces
(In other words, the Japanese rarely let a chance to paty slip by)

Yes it is in tokyo, it's in Tokyo central too (which I'll visit this year) Heading over to Uneo park will be filled (good weather permitting) with families and work people having hanami.
I'll keep that in mind thanks for reply

Anyone else have more suggestion?
Whether do I not know

Old 2009-03-10, 07:37   Link #449
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuelon View Post
I'll keep that in mind thanks for reply

Anyone else have more suggestion?
If you do want to leave the confines of Tokyo—and really, you should—there are a bunch of places to see the cherry blossoms in Kyoto. My favorites are along the Kamo River and the canal/aqueduct coming from Lake Biwa, which tend to be slightly less overflowing with people than Maruyama Park (which is the Hanami Party spot, it seems). Daigo-ji is also worth a look.

In Osaka, Osaka Castle Park in full bloom is quite the sight. But since I live along the Kintetsu Minami-Osaka Line, I'll probably be headed down to Yoshino to check out the multi-stage inflorescence there. (Mt Yoshino is covered in trees in deliberately-chosen shades that bloom at different points, so they create a unique effect.)
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 13:55   Link #450
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Man, I'm so jealous. I absolutely love Sakura. The amount of times one is allowed to see it in a life time is really limited and yet I have to spend time outside of Japan and miss it. If you think about it, you’d be lucky to see it 80-90 times in your life. In your whole life, just that amount of times. But how fleeting Sakura is lends a lot to its beauty some argue. Personally I’d rather have it bloom year-round.
Old 2009-03-10, 15:19   Link #451
kokiafan

Quote:
May I ask your gender/age/ethnicity, if you don't mind sharing?
I'm kinda curious to why you poised the question, was it something you heard I wonder?
Is Japan safe?
As someone mentioned in regards to the metro areas, 'as safe as any main city'
You always need to keep your wits about you, be street smart and sensible, aka don't walk in quiet dark places alone.
If you miss the last train about after 0.30, take a taxi and so on.

I'll admit though, to a degree, I take liberties with the fact that Tokyo is safer than London and will be walking around at night around midnight/1am on my own for a spell without being too concerned. Salarymen are kinda too drunk to even walk, let alone assult me, but nonetheless its better to be safe than sorry, so I try not to let my guard down completely.

Are people nice to foreigners?
Yes. If you go to Japan as a tourist (and planned the trip as you want it), you'll have one of the most magical, amazing times of your life.
If you live here as a resident, it's a different ballgame.

In that sense, you'll begin to see the cracks in the politeness mask that they don usubconsciously and see moments of discrimination.
The only difference in the form of discrimination is like a lot of things Japanese wise is, it's indirect and silent, but still very much felt.

Can be useful, means I don't get bombarded with flyers in Shinjuku cause they assume I can't understand Japanese or read kanji.
Also means I gotta fight to get those free tissues on the street though, they kinda withdraw their hands when they see me
(That's a very light and insignificant example I'm tossing, but you should get the idea...)
thanks a lot for your information
kokiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 16:58   Link #452
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Man, I'm so jealous. I absolutely love Sakura. The amount of times one is allowed to see it in a life time is really limited and yet I have to spend time outside of Japan and miss it. If you think about it, you’d be lucky to see it 80-90 times in your life. In your whole life, just that amount of times. But how fleeting Sakura is lends a lot to its beauty some argue. Personally I’d rather have it bloom year-round.
I dunno what Chicago's like, but there are sakura trees in England too. It's not a flower just limited to Japan only
There's quite a few all over central Oxford too, my old uni and the schools surrounding it used to spout them (on trees typically bigger than japanese ones) in pink and white.
They do create quite a mess when the petals fall though, I think after spending 1 week in Kyoto during sakura season back in '04 (I arrived and it was 90% ready. I left and it was about 70% gone) - I'm not too crazy about them. There's something about literally breathing the stuff, spitting out petals and coming out plucking bits from your hair from the confettii shower that makes you think
'You know... 1 week a year is good enough for me...'

Old 2009-03-10, 17:11   Link #453
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
I suggest Hatsunejima. :>
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 20:21   Link #454
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
I suggest Hatsunejima. :>
From Da Capo? Yeah I know, my dream place.

@ Mystique - Yeah I know there in other places (I actually saw a couple while I was still in England), and I'm pretty sure there may be some around here. But it's not the same unless you're in Japan. Most other people don't see it the same way.
Quote:
There's something about literally breathing the stuff, spitting out petals and coming out plucking bits from your hair from the confettii shower
It's all great to me. We must’ve been fated not to get along.
Old 2009-03-10, 20:30   Link #455
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Quote:
I dunno what Chicago's like, but there are sakura trees in England too. It's not a flower just limited to Japan only
There's quite a few all over central Oxford too, my old uni and the schools surrounding it used to spout them (on trees typically bigger than japanese ones) in pink and white.
They do create quite a mess when the petals fall though, I think after spending 1 week in Kyoto during sakura season back in '04 (I arrived and it was 90% ready. I left and it was about 70% gone) - I'm not too crazy about them. There's something about literally breathing the stuff, spitting out petals and coming out plucking bits from your hair from the confettii shower that makes you think
'You know... 1 week a year is good enough for me...'
The petals are not fun to step on either, especially when they turn all brown and mushy after they land on the ground. =X

I haven't had the misfortune (or privilege?) of breathing in these petals...

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 06:12   Link #456
Yuelon
喜怒哀

@RandomGuy - Thanks that will be enough places i'll enjoy it sooner or later

As for Winter i know Hokkaido nice area cause its the coldest prefecture that I know.
Whether do I not know

Old 2009-03-13, 16:39   Link #457
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I have a question for the people who have been to Japan and know a bit about their weird tendencies. I have a pretty good friend who went to japan as a foreign exchange student in her 10th year of school. She is blond with blue eyes long hair etc.... She came back to America with her hair shorter. When I asked her why it was shorter she said that in a class a girl behind her had been so interested by her light blond hair that she cut off a lock.... Is this fascination with blond hair universal to Japan, common, or just some isolated incident because I was rather freaked out personally...
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 17:06   Link #458
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
I have a question for the people who have been to Japan and know a bit about their weird tendencies. I have a pretty good friend who went to japan as a foreign exchange student in her 10th year of school. She is blond with blue eyes long hair etc.... She came back to America with her hair shorter. When I asked her why it was shorter she said that in a class a girl behind her had been so interested by her light blond hair that she cut off a lock.... Is this fascination with blond hair universal to Japan, common, or just some isolated incident because I was rather freaked out personally...
I personally found that blondes got a rather disproportionate amount of attention in Japan, but I haven't travelled around the rest of Asia, so I can't tell you about other countries. I hear it happens in Malaysia though.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 19:00   Link #459
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
Blonde hair?
Blue eyes?
Yes, you'll get a little more attention, admiration from the natives for those traits. They're still the most used type for foreign modelling all over, as of recently I've heard that russian girls get most of the modelling/hi profile jobs, so I suppose it's something very exotic for them or a stereotype they prefer.

Old 2009-03-14, 21:20   Link #460
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
I don't think you have to worry about that happening a lot. I think that girl was just weird. But there is a general fascination for blonde and blue eyes. I wouldn’t say it’s rampant but it’s there.

Tags
japan, travel