AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 166 69.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 20.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 5.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.42%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.84%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-23, 23:13   Link #101
Hahiru

I wonder why Priscilla just walked past Clare like that when she was saying how hungry was. I know she's small fry, but she was right there to munch on!
Old 2007-05-23, 23:15   Link #102
Straywolf

Beautiful episode, extremely well animated and adapted from the manga. I agree with some of you about a few scenes and dialogues which were left out. Those are crucial to the story, but hopefully we will see them next week.

I love this arc of the story although I'd be a masochist if I want to rewatch/reread it again too many times ^^;

Most of us are upset at the Teressa's fate, but keep in mind that she willingly chose this path the moment she put away her sword after defeating Pricilla the first time. The end result just came sooner than expected. I feel better knowing that she achieved the moral victory by following her new way of life with Clare. But oh so bittersweet!
Old 2007-05-23, 23:17   Link #103
Lendial

what an incredible ep.

Spoiler for terresa:
Old 2007-05-23, 23:23   Link #104
snood2000

Amazing episode. Too bad Teresa had to go out that way, I liked her character.
Old 2007-05-23, 23:36   Link #105
7thFonon
seventh

That was just...WOW.... I didn't even react to what happened til like 15 seconds after. It was so unexpected....
Old 2007-05-24, 00:18   Link #106
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

@SimplyEd

For me, whether I can call someone a hypocrite has to do with their awareness. If they are aware that what they say and how they portray themselves is bunk compared to what they actually believe, and they deliberately continue to project that falseness, they are a hypocrite. Otherwise, they are deluded at the most. So, Priscilla may have been deluded big time, but I can't call her a hypocrite since (like orion) I think she seemed to sincerely believe what she said, or at the very least she wanted to believe it. Kinematics pretty much had it, except I think that in Priscilla's case she was too immature to be properly dogmatic. I don't think a child can be called either a hypocrite or a fanatic in a true sense, and as Irene pointed out, Priscilla was still a child. I can't blame her for believing in the Organization's dogma if it gave her a sense of purpose in the world full or chaotic terror.

Personally, I liked Theresa over Priscilla, but judging people differently on the basis of likes could be considered... no, I'm not going to say "hypocritical"

Edit: About Theresa sparing Priscilla in the town fight, I think (similarly to orion) that she negated that effect by taunting the group to come after her any time. I think that probably made it look to Priscilla as though she wasn't spared out of mercy but rather out of a sense of superiority. Or at least it made it easier for her to filter it through her beliefs that way as opposed to considering the act more deeply.

Last edited by yononaka; 2007-05-24 at 00:31.
Old 2007-05-24, 00:32   Link #107
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Scene 08 - Awakening

I am just stunned for the visual gore quality for this episode.

I thought after seeing the pics but before watching the episode itself that it would made me cringe and full me with goosebumps if I ever dare to watch it.

However, I took all my courage onto myself and did so, and boy, I am glad I did.

I cannot deny that the episode was graphic, although not that visceral as I was trembling before.
I got the same sensation when I grew expectations before going to watch the first episode of Elfen Lied.

In the past I had it watching horror movies, shows, or anime about guys fmutating into disgusting or violent creatures. It's good to be relieved that Claymore holds no back and allow girls to freaking mutate into monsters or mistresses of hell.
Priscilla's transformation was so emotionally involving to me because unexpectedly one cannot avoid to earn some sympathy for her due to her traumatic background, but within a split second all that kindness and compassion goes to smoke and here she goes for the killing blow in order to win at any cost without minding to damn her soul for eternity.
Because she was such a spoiled brat and a naive one too, she surely goes monkey when it comes to being a sore loser that hates to lose because she thought her little and eschew b&w vision of the world was the right one.

Teresa showed her for once and all what is the reality of the world, but she wouldn't accept and well you know how the rest well. Miss pure ally of justice went apesh** and fmutated into Satan's concubine.

Did not I mention that Awakened Priscilla sounded either like a robot or a zombie?
My hypothesis is that she's still at child stage even for Awakening.

Let me make a comparison. In Venus Versus Virus there was this episode about a cute girl and her twin brother. The girl was attacked by a Virus and got herself turned into one, but she did not realize it until her new hunger and instinct took over.
Similar case with Priscilla, but I am not too sure if she has realized she turned into an even worse thing that brought her misery and ruined her. That or Priscilla does already knows what she's become to, but she is too childish as of now to acknowledge or comprehend it.

My point is that I am also stick with everyone's decision that as of now Priscilla has turned into an antagonist but not a full-time villain, unless she reaches the adult stage and when that happens she'll be the queen among the fsadists!!

Ok. Enough of Priscilla. Now I want to bring on the very highlight of the episode.

Our queen and goddess has.... You f***ing writers how dare you did to the goddess of the faint smile.
Spoiler:

In summary, a powerful episode and quite explains now why Clare detested to have human companionship at the very start of the series.
Old 2007-05-24, 00:37   Link #108
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahiru View Post
I wonder why Priscilla just walked past Clare like that when she was saying how hungry was. I know she's small fry, but she was right there to munch on!
Well, figure: you're sitting on the couch and you've got the munchies. Now, you know there's like half a turkey sandwich in the fridge, but even if you eat it you're still gonna be hungry. On the other hand you can drive a few blocks and grab a couple Big Macs and some fries from the local McD's. Which are you going to go for?

... I'm going to pay for that analogy someday, I know it.
Old 2007-05-24, 00:48   Link #109
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
In summary, a powerful episode and quite explains now why Clare detested to have human companionship at the very start of the series.
It really makes you reconsider the meaning behind Clare's words when she told Raki that he would suffer if he stayed with her. I wonder if she meant that Raki would suffer because he was walking the same path that she did and wondered if she'd end up the same way that Theresa did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahiru View Post
Here's a supposition, purely speculation: Perhaps something of the idealistic Priscilla remained inside of the Awakened Priscilla. That remnant of idealism and purity could not kill a suffering and innocent child.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-24, 01:18   Link #110
Nesty

i just dled all the current manga for claymore last week and held of reading it from start till current before this ep. the shock factor was INSANE! i honestly thought she was a gonner last ep, but this ep made me thing omg she's gonna make it till the VERY end T_T

just when i u get to love the bond of teresa and clare, the stupid B!tch ruins everything. i can't wait how this unfolds, now i understand the intro more and more with each passing manga read.
Old 2007-05-24, 01:32   Link #111
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Just utterly unbelievable. It was really weird, at the end of last episode I was writing Teresa off. It just seemed impossible that she could pull off a win against all of them at the same time. But, then they gave some hope with her owning them without having to go nearly all out. Clearly the fatal choice was sparing them. But the reason she spared them is the reason she had to fight them in the first place. Saving Clare and building that bond weakened her killing resolve. Before she'd finish them without question, but if she was like that she wouldn't be in that situation. It was just hard to see.

Started to worry as they went on with that crazed Priscilla going closer and closer to the limit. It was incredible that Teresa only needed 10% to overpower her. Then coming to the end it seemed clear she'd finish her off and be fine. Suddenly she's just dead, it was so fast that there was no time for even the people watching to react. She goes down to normal to finish things off and that'd be that.

It's just mind boggling that Teresa only ever went 10% and now is dead. If she had just stayed at that level she could've probably avoided the attack. Even if Priscilla had awakened she may have needed to up the percentage but I have no doubt she would've won. I understand that sometimes fights don't go as planned, that just because a person is stronger doesn't mean they'll win. I still hate the fact that she lost, she was stronger, a great person but she still lost. It could've been a trick, Teresa had spared her so many times already. If she just pretended to want mercy, or to be killed it'd lower Teresa's guard long enough. I really hope that monster gets beaten to hell.

Hard to believe that the top 5 claymores are gone after one moment. 4 are dead and one has become a youkai of insane power. I know Clare will have to fight her but does she even stand a chance? Nothing has really brought up that she is in the top numbers of the organization. I can assume she joined up to get enough strength to kill Priscilla but I don't know what will come next.

All I can say is poor Teresa.
Old 2007-05-24, 01:34   Link #112
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Yah I thought it was going to be a Terese V Clare final due to the scene in the OP. The thing is I couldn't work out how it was going to happen, since they seemed so nice together. Well the OP misled me, it misled me well.
Old 2007-05-24, 01:42   Link #113
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Here's a supposition, purely speculation: Perhaps something of the idealistic Priscilla remained inside of the Awakened Priscilla. That remnant of idealism and purity could not kill a suffering and innocent child.
That or maybe it is the Sasuke-Naruto principle on the works again.
Old 2007-05-24, 01:53   Link #114
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka View Post
@SimplyEd

For me, whether I can call someone a hypocrite has to do with their awareness. If they are aware that what they say and how they portray themselves is bunk compared to what they actually believe, and they deliberately continue to project that falseness, they are a hypocrite. Otherwise, they are deluded at the most. So, Priscilla may have been deluded big time, but I can't call her a hypocrite since (like orion) I think she seemed to sincerely believe what she said, or at the very least she wanted to believe it. Kinematics pretty much had it, except I think that in Priscilla's case she was too immature to be properly dogmatic. I don't think a child can be called either a hypocrite or a fanatic in a true sense, and as Irene pointed out, Priscilla was still a child. I can't blame her for believing in the Organization's dogma if it gave her a sense of purpose in the world full or chaotic terror.

Personally, I liked Theresa over Priscilla, but judging people differently on the basis of likes could be considered... no, I'm not going to say "hypocritical"
Oh? Did i judge Priscilla on personal feelings there? Did i judge Teresa differently because i may feel more for her part of the story? So, it makes me a hypocrite because i pointed out some obvious flaws in Priscillas way of acting..even though she's still an innocent little thingy?

hypocrisy
1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
2. An act or instance of such falseness.

I thought i already posted that before to make my side clear. Look, it doesn't matter whether Priscilla was truly consciously aware of what she really was. I'm just saying that her actions betrayed her intentions, IF those were her real intentions. You know, you can talk about goodness and lawful behaviour and whatnot all you want, but that doesn't mean that you're actually a good person.
I really wrote a lot more besides her being a hypocrite, really. Sorry if you don't like it.

Yes, Priscilla is a deeply hurt individual. I'm grieving over her loss. Not only her immideate loss (family) but also her mental loss. It's plainly ovious that she has deep psychological scars (not that the other Claymores don't have such, mind you) and that she's troubled more than meets the eye.
I wasn't evaluating her on the premise that i hate her (far from it) but rather on the premise of what's really lying under all that act. Things that can be deducted by observing how she reacts on things that go against her understanding. How she's able to cope with stress, the real world, things that lie beyond good and evil.
Yeah, her way of thinking was "deluded big time". Because of the Organizations dogma? Wasn't it rather that those doctrines fit her own twisted view of the world? Two wrongs equal a right? The end justifies the means?
So, she seemed to really believe in what she was saying there? She practised a belief she didn't really held in the end (hint). Fanatism is just as much hypocrisy as it is indifference to what is going on around you.

Was that fair enough now?

People tend to give her too much leeway just because immature, "just a child". A young, seemingly righteous, adult(which is what i'd rather call her) can be the most wicked wolf in a sheeps pelt while an alleged villain can be a benevolent nice person with circumstances.
Old 2007-05-24, 02:34   Link #115
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
That or maybe it is the Sasuke-Naruto principle on the works again.
Pardon me, but I'm not such a Naruto-head that I know what you are referring to. Sure, I know who those characters are, but I just don't see the similarity between the Sasuke-Naruto relationship and the Priscilla-Clare relationship. Please explain yourself instead of merely referrring to some "principle" from another show.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-24, 02:53   Link #116
IMSabbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd View Post
snip
Calm down, get some anger managment and a nice dose of prozac.

You seem to take this all far to personal.
And consider: Pris was already beyond the point of no return. I consider everything after the last "woosh" and the "i can't turn back" line to be actions of the yoma, not of the claymore.

Theresas error was that she went so soft-harded that the yoma was able to fool here, just like Raki was fooled by the yoma imposing as his brother.
Old 2007-05-24, 03:01   Link #117
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd View Post
Oh? Did i judge Priscilla on personal feelings there? Did i judge Teresa differently because i may feel more for her part of the story? So, it makes me a hypocrite because i pointed out some obvious flaws in Priscillas way of acting..even though she's still an innocent little thingy?
I thought I was talking about myself there, actually... I think you're mistakenly assuming that I'm arguing with your judgements. Actually, I don't particularly care what you believe and how you evaluate Priscilla, and I'm not under the illusion that I could change that belief or should try to do so. I'm not saying that to assert the superiority of my point of view, just to say that it isn't a big deal for me if you think differently. I'm expressing some of the ideas I have, and addressing you because you entered the discussion by quoting my entire first post, and because you make it easy for me to point out some aspects of the situation that matter to me.

There's no need to get into some "sorry if you don't like it" game here. It's pretty annoying when people assume that me expressing a different view must mean that I'm not allowing them to keep to theirs... Conversely, I hope that you'll allow me to express mine without getting personal about it.

Quote:
People tend to give her too much leeway just because immature, "just a child". A young, seemingly righteous, adult(which is what i'd rather call her) can be the most wicked wolf in a sheeps pelt while an alleged villain can be a benevolent nice person with circumstances.
I'm not giving Priscilla "leeway", I'm merely refraining from damning her, because I can make myself consider her point of view just as, for example, I can consider the point of view that made Theresa kill the bandits instead of doing something else with them. I don't see why Priscilla can't be excused for going wild in battle if Theresa could. It doesn't matter who was more "right", the point is that they both acted in extreme circumstances and did questionable things. (Edit: In Theresa's case against inferior opponents and without the clear influence of you-ki.) According to your model, it seems that I should assume that Theresa in fact held the view that some people should be killed without mercy and was a hypocrite for having held back from doing so earlier in her career.

Last edited by yononaka; 2007-05-24 at 03:14.
Old 2007-05-24, 03:28   Link #118
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
Clearly Teresa was asking to be killed when she spared the 4 claymores but how could she not???

It was compassion that made her feel human again, it was compassion that made her spare her hunters and it was again compassion that made her drop her guard in the end.

Teresa was just being true to herself.
Old 2007-05-24, 04:12   Link #119
cyoti

And compassion in the end damned her.

Of course, it was probably her best choice since she'll still be remembered fondly by Clare and it beats dying as a nameless Claymore for the organization.
Old 2007-05-24, 04:41   Link #120
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSabbel View Post
Calm down, get some anger managment and a nice dose of prozac.

You seem to take this all far to personal.
And consider: Pris was already beyond the point of no return. I consider everything after the last "woosh" and the "i can't turn back" line to be actions of the yoma, not of the claymore.

Theresas error was that she went so soft-harded that the yoma was able to fool here, just like Raki was fooled by the yoma imposing as his brother.
Tss, it seems like i can write it as much as i want and people just don't get it. I wasn't taking this emotional, let alone as "anger management", okay? I could really care less how tame you want to lead your discussions, but at least i was trying to make a point there. And no thanks, i most definitely don't need tranquilizers just because you don't like my explanations.
Anyway, i made myself clear enough and it fit into this episode discussion just fine. No need to take this any farther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka
Actually, that little part was the occasion. I sure know that you're trying to express your point of view there, otherwise we wouldn't have that nice discussion here. I wasn't trying to be offensive, if that's what bugs you though. "I'm sorry if you don't like it" means just that and nothing else. I sure understand that we seem to be at a pinch here, but that doesn't mean that i'm trying to convert you to my opinions. The "not get it personal" part hold true for both sides though.

Finally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka
I'm not giving Priscilla "leeway"
Yeah, that's exactly why i expressivly wrote: "People tend to.."
And no, i'm not assuming anything in that direction about Teresa, because i was addressing Priscillas circumstances.If you read the last part of my last post carefully, it should be clear that i'm not trying to "damn" Priscilla (the human). I'm directing my attention towards what she has become after what has happened to her family.
Closed Thread