AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-12, 00:53   Link #101
solomon

The CG looks great as does the art direction and color design. The character designs aren't really "me" but they're well done i guess. Haven't heard much about Nakajima (wasnt that her name). Ranka Lee looks young. Alto looks girly and Sheryl looks stunning. Hope we won't have to wait too long.

And what's the beef with the series composer and director. As long as Kawamori is lording over it in somefashion it can't be bad right?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:20   Link #102
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I used to think that he could do no wrong recent history suggests otherwise. Kawamori lorded over Mac 7 and Mac 0 which were either pretty bad or pretty mediocre. The days of his involvement = instant win are dead. IMO he hasn't done anything awesome since Macross Plus. Aquarion was pretty bad as well. Look at his list of work since the mid 90's and there's been some unholy bombs in there.

Before anyone says Mac 7 or Zero was awesome, answer this for a Macross noob would you feel comfortable recommending those 2 as an introduction to the franchise? Probably not.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:21   Link #103
ssfsx17

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
The CG looks great as does the art direction and color design. The character designs aren't really "me" but they're well done i guess. Haven't heard much about Nakajima (wasnt that her name). Ranka Lee looks young. Alto looks girly and Sheryl looks stunning. Hope we won't have to wait too long.

And what's the beef with the series composer and director. As long as Kawamori is lording over it in somefashion it can't be bad right?
Specifically, it's the battle scenes that can't possibly be bad.

And in between the battle scenes, we deeply dread some kind of bad story about how nature is good and technology is evil.
ssfsx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:30   Link #104
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
You haven't watched anything Kawamori has done from Arjuna up yeah?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 22:25   Link #105
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Considering that his role is pretty much supervision of overall projects and stuff, not to mention that he pretty much was around for M0, Aquarion, M7 as well, it's not saying much.

Putting aside Yasuhito who may be a hit-or-miss as a director, Hiroyuki Yoshino is generally considered as everything wrong about modern Sunrise writing these days. To be honest, I don't find him that bad, but he's not exactly good either.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 12:14   Link #106
solomon

Hmm good point about Yoshino, but then again Seed aside, most of the stuff he's worked on is far too stupid to be taken seriously afac (the Mai series? CMON)

Ok to be fair I haven't seen the original macross series. I saw DYRL, though. I liked it but partly because of it's historical signifigance (otherwise I found it some what cheesy). Zero, I really liked but it admittedly is rather different from the harder sci fi feel of other Macross productions. I still have faith in F and hopefully we wont have to wait around too long to see.
Old 2007-11-14, 05:22   Link #107
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Yoshino's not really the problem here IMO. He's credited as doing series composition which is to my knowledge more involved with the pacing of of the overall story and breaking the content into episodes (although I could be wrong). Granted I've only ever seen Geass which was pretty good. It's the actual Kawamori vision as being credited with Story Composition which I take to be the overall script, which troubles me. It's ironic really, such a strong anti tech sentiment from a mecha designer with roots all the way to Daimos in the 70's.

DYRL & SDF were love stories, cheese is good, cheese is acceptable. If you remove the love story they're pretty flat series'. Mac plus was pretty much Top Gun with a hint of romance (Iceman v Maverick = Isamu vs Guld). I can buy that in a series featuring advanced tech, they're workable scenarios. The singing well it works, how else are you going to demonstrate culture as a weapon? Paint them a picture while they're shooting at you? Although they went too far with this in Macross 7. Plus generally I like the songs. Mac plus had no noteworthy songs but Mac 7 as much as I want to forget it ever existed had some good ones but goddamn did they have to repeat the same 3 songs every single episode for 50 odd episodes?

I just can't swallow the whole spiritual/environmental nonsense crap that's been pretty in your face in the last couple of things he's touched. It works for a series like Eva as the spirituality is tied directly in to the concept, remove the spiritual references and Eva is nothing. It loses the mystique that people find appealing. Same with Captain Planet it's part of it's vision, it's part of the series identity. It wasn't just tacked on as an afterthought

I can see this series going one of 3 ways. 1. THe stars and planets align and it's awesome. 2. It's going to be so bad it's good (see: Snakes on a Plane.) 3. just putrid.

I don't think this series will be just ok or an average series personally. I thinking it's either going to just blow me away or I'm going to end up shaking my head.
Old 2007-11-14, 12:24   Link #108
solomon

fair and valid opinon, from which mine diverges in varying degrees. Let's put a moraturiom on this part of the conversation however and wait for more info to come out.

(Like if itano is still invoved)
Old 2007-11-18, 12:53   Link #109
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

TV spot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTh2s...b_news&main=hb
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 12:55   Link #110
Westlo
Lets be reality

Thanks for link, looking good.
Old 2007-11-18, 12:58   Link #111
Irvine
Awesome Member

It probably sucks.
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 13:40   Link #112
Westlo
Lets be reality

Wow Jon, for once you didn't use lame in a post tonight, I'm amazed!
Old 2007-11-18, 13:55   Link #113
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
Wait, so "listen to my song" quote is going to appear again? That's pretty interesting.
Old 2007-11-18, 14:23   Link #114
solomon

Hmmm, possible Doroku succesor? I think it would be a good idea.

btw when did this air?

Last edited by solomon; 2007-11-18 at 14:54.
Old 2007-11-19, 00:26   Link #115
Ottocycle

Quote:
Intriguing. More Nakamura Yuuichi doing more potential big-budget voicing.

Eh?
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 16:47   Link #116
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Holy ****. She (whoever that was) pulled a Haruhi and quoted Basara.

I wonder if we're going to see the continuation of the tradition of the bad guy mains and grunts cleaning house with the good guy grunts. (remembers how bad guys are always shown to take out way more good guys than vice versa in a Macross series)
Old 2007-11-22, 14:20   Link #117
solomon

Oy Vey, you read ANN? Macross F manga adaption will run in Shonen Ace come december. Plus MBS/TBS net is showing a one hour macross retrospective in late December (after 12 midnight of course)
Old 2007-11-23, 13:19   Link #118
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Holy ****. She (whoever that was) pulled a Haruhi and quoted Basara.

I wonder if we're going to see the continuation of the tradition of the bad guy mains and grunts cleaning house with the good guy grunts. (remembers how bad guys are always shown to take out way more good guys than vice versa in a Macross series)
If you have a standard coloured valk you're pretty much stuffed. (Kakizaki, Gamlin well he gets shot down a lot). The brighter the colour or more distinctive the design the less likely you were going to be shot down. Hell Roy made it all the way back to Macross despite being full of holes. If you piloted a Destroid or a Koenig Monster you're even worse than stuffed, if an enemy unit looked at you you'd blow up. THe Regults and Glaug's weren't much chop either, the only really good units were the Quedluun Rau's. The Valks always were a match for the zentradi units. The Zentradi's pretty much owned just through numbers though.

Might get that Shonen Ace, might be a good add to the collection.
Old 2007-11-23, 15:29   Link #119
Ungelic
Supporting twincest

This is way too good for me to be true. The whole concept is my dream anime.
Ungelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 05:54   Link #120
Woland
Latin Rascal

Confirmed for spring 2008

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...cast-confirmed
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, romance