AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 55 30.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 24.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 19.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 13.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 6.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.19%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.55%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.73%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-19, 10:55   Link #101
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Hey, I have spelling corrections for the new subs, where do you think I can find Mazui to show them to him?
Old 2009-06-19, 11:34   Link #102
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill-Jênn View Post
Hey, I have spelling corrections for the new subs, where do you think I can find Mazui to show them to him?
Nowhere. This guy does rushed subs to bring service, I think. That's why subs were up within eight hours from the airing in Japan. But you won't find his site anywhere ever.

What an enigma. Just wait for a.f.k. to do the /good/ subs or watch Coal/gg's definitely-not-as-good subs.

+edit+...ALSO "Mazui" literally means "it's awful" in Japanese. Go figure.

Last edited by Dakota; 2009-06-19 at 11:36. Reason: ONE MORE THING
Old 2009-06-19, 12:44   Link #103
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

It's grand that Haruhi is officially back but I found this episode mediorce.

It was still enjoyable though and fits into the perfect time for summer.
Loved the slice-of-life and watching Mikuru being helpless as ever xD

And like Kyon, I never finish my summer assignments on time.
I wait for the last minute

( and end up failing in some cases D; )
Old 2009-06-19, 14:55   Link #104
Kirarakim

I really enjoyed this episode. I read the novel for this but its been so long that I forgot the events of this story but it did come rushing back to me so now I look forward to how they will handle the next episode.

As an adaption I think they did a good job. Watching the slice of life aspects are a whole lot more fun than reading about them. I think they did a really good job of bringing the moments to life so to speak.

My favorite moment was definitely when Yuki bought the mask and when Haruhi let the cicadas go.
Old 2009-06-19, 15:08   Link #105
Soelke
Not heat. Photon laser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrnea View Post
Wait for the next one.

Addendum: Assuming you haven't read the story in the novel already.
Well, I already know what happens during the summer, but compared to some of the other situations this is considerably subtle. (In my opinion, at least)
Old 2009-06-19, 17:11   Link #106
Change of Pace
Shameless Zoro Fangirl

KOIZUMI: "THIS IS HOW YOU CATCH CICADAS WITH FLAIR."
Old 2009-06-19, 17:43   Link #107
stubby42

I enjoyed this episode but it posed some pretty interesting questions regarding Mikuru and her history.

For example she was un familar with traditional Japanese dress, so does that mean she isnt Japanese (is she from another country we'd be familar with in our time frame)? or does it mean that in the future Japan doesnt exist as a country?

She also seemed to be pretty un familar with fire works, which is strange because fire works have existed for thousands of years (as has traditional japanese dress), its not like they'll suddenly disapear in the future.
Old 2009-06-19, 17:47   Link #108
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kind of makes you wonder how far from the future she is, eh?
Old 2009-06-19, 17:48   Link #109
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
For example she was un familar with traditional Japanese dress, so does that mean she isnt Japanese (is she from another country we'd be familar with in our time frame)? or does it mean that in the future Japan doesnt exist as a country?
Mikuru is probably Japanese, or at least looks it. Her hair is described as "brown" in the novels...

Quote:
She also seemed to be pretty un familar with fire works, which is strange because fire works have existed for thousands of years (as has traditional japanese dress), its not like they'll suddenly disapear in the future.
Her lack of familiarity with modern physical technology suggests she's from thousands of years into the future where they no longer use physical technology at all.
Old 2009-06-19, 17:49   Link #110
Suika-Esper
Sage Mode

Quote:
I enjoyed this episode but it posed some pretty interesting questions regarding Mikuru and her history.

I think it's just that she's not Japanese, being a red-head and all.
Old 2009-06-19, 17:55   Link #111
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Deleted 12 more posts, and will start issuing infractions to people who didn't listen after last time. Novel Readers: do not so much as mention what will happen in future episodes. No Hints. Final warning.
Old 2009-06-19, 18:04   Link #112
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I thought someone discribed Mikuru as a foreigner once.

Fireworks could be as simple as them being illegal in her time, and/or she's spent most of her time indoors (like say on an Arcology) and thus never been in a place that used fireworks. Would also explain why she has no clue about boats.
Old 2009-06-19, 18:05   Link #113
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:

In lone island syndrome (at least the novel) Mikuru expressed curiosity/astoundment when she saw a boat. The time period Mikuru potentially comes from could be as far removed from us as we are from stone age people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

Fireworks could be as simple as them being illegal in her time, and/or she's spent most of her time indoors (like say on an Arcology) and thus never been in a place that used fireworks. Would also explain why she has no clue about boats.
Or everyone is interfaced with machines.
Old 2009-06-19, 18:06   Link #114
stubby42

Quote:
Mikuru is probably Japanese, or at least looks it. Her hair is described as "brown" in the novels...
Well are you talking about ethnicity or country of birth? unless the subs are wrong she says

Spoiler for since were not talking in detail yet:

Which implies shes not from Japan.

As for the idea that she'd be unfamilar of fire works, I suppose its possible but to be honnest technological changes and cultural changes dont really work like that. Its a cultural activity practiced the world over, technology only disapears when something better replaces it, fire works serve no pracitcal purpose so nothing is likely to replace them or something happens that causes us to loose knowledge (think Roman empire to the dark ages) but that seems unlikely because our ability to produce information and record it has grown dramatically.

Quote:
Ok, that might make more sense I really want to start reading the novels but I dont have the money to buy them.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-06-19 at 18:34. Reason: please edit rather than double-posting
Old 2009-06-19, 18:24   Link #115
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Don't remember this at all.

Quote:
...Everyone in our time over the age of four knows about boats. She didn't even know how boats WORKED. This implies that boats have become obsolete in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Or everyone is interfaced with machines.
I have this crack theory that the espers' Agency will eventually gain the technology the aliens use and give rise to the time travelers, who use biotech and live in machine worlds.

Quote:
Well are you talking about ethnicity or country of birth? unless the subs are wrong she says
I'm saying she looks Japanese. She might actually be European for all we know, but she looks Japanese enough not to stand out.

Supposedly, far, far in the future, as people across the world interbreed, we will all eventually have brown hair and olive skin. Like Greeks.

Quote:
As for the idea that she'd be unfamilar of fire works, I suppose its possible but to be honnest technological changes and cultural changes dont really work like that. Its a cultural activity practiced the world over, technology only disapears when something better replaces it, fire works serve no pracitcal purpose so nothing is likely to replace them or something happens that causes us to loose knowledge (think Roman empire to the dark ages) but that seems unlikely because our ability to produce information and record it has grown dramatically.
Advanced holographic technology could easily replace pretty explosives.
Old 2009-06-19, 18:38   Link #116
ReddyRedWolf

Or by Quantum leap explanation... Her brain is Swiss cheese.
Old 2009-06-19, 19:03   Link #117
typhonsentra

Are there any decent subs out for this thing yet? I'm surprised no one's working on something this anticipated.
Old 2009-06-19, 19:25   Link #118
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Unless of course they're a post singularity civilization that has been interfaced with computers for the last thousand generations. The trivial purposeless entertainment of a civilization like that would be mind bogglingly different than anything we could think of.

In this civilization, knowing about boats and chemical explosives of any kind either makes you a history buff of a crazy survivalist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Advanced holographic technology could easily replace pretty explosives.
You don't need holograms if you've got a computer plugged directly into your head that can make you see shit.
Old 2009-06-19, 19:34   Link #119
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Unless of course they're a post singularity civilization that has been interfaced with computers for the last thousand generations. The trivial purposeless entertainment of a civilization like that would be mind bogglingly different than anything we could think of.
very advanced, e different, computer, BTW. Mikuru didn't know how use a regular one in Day of Sagitarius.

Quote:
You don't need holograms if you've got a computer plugged directly into your head that can make you see shit.
Is more or less how imagine Mikuru's era technology.
Old 2009-06-19, 20:06   Link #120
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Are there any decent subs out for this thing yet? I'm surprised no one's working on something this anticipated.
There is a sub or two (sloppy speed subs). I'd assume the usual turn-around for the bigger groups. I sincerely doubt "no one's working" on it. ....