AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-31, 20:40   Link #81
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by hei View Post
i laughed a lot at the date scene not only because their conversation is funny but because

Spoiler:

as for "kanbaru's body", we need to understand the relationship between araragi, senjogahara, and kanbaru,
which shoud be shown in the next arc of the anime. Personally i like kanbaru's character, but i don't know how
the anime will deal with it because she is er... A pervert.

Anyway, i will translate relevant part of conversation between araragi and senjogahara on the date.
I think it contains author's explanation (or excuse ) for the female pervert(?) characters.

Spoiler for translation:
pwnage!!!!!

How many times have I told you people....

SENJOUGAHARA HITAGI IS A HUGE PERVERT !!!

That wicked Kanbaru creature is pale in comparison.

Koyomi is in for a world of serious, debauched, excstacy when Hitagi gets over her trauma hurdles.

Last edited by Zetsubo; 2009-08-31 at 20:50.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:15   Link #82
Lummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Shinobu's relationship with Koyomi is kinda hard to describe. She tells him that they're enemies and that she's just waiting for the opportunity to strike, but her actions seem to tell a different story. As for Oshino, she respects him, but never liked him.

Kiss-Shot was a different story though. She was rather fond of Koyomi and couldn't really differentiate one human from another. She saw Hanekawa as an MRE. Correction, Shinobu can't really differentiate one human from another either, although she knows of the Tsundere girl.

It's pretty easy for Shinobu to gain all her powers again, she just has to drink enough of Koyomi's blood. He'd become a vampire again too, of course. If Shinobu regains all her powers, she's pretty much invincible.
1) Could you name some actions that made you think otherwise please

2) What's keeping her from doing it if it's so easy retain her old form? Doesn't she hate her current form? Or are the donuts the reason why she's being a good girl? I'm pretty sure she's strong enough to handle with Araragi and suck him dry.

Big thanks for answering my previous questions.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:27   Link #83
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
1) Could you name some actions that made you think otherwise please

2) What's keeping her from doing it if it's so easy retain her old form? Doesn't she hate her current form? Or are the donuts the reason why she's being a good girl? I'm pretty sure she's strong enough to handle with Araragi and suck him dry.

Big thanks for answering my previous questions.
By easy, I meant that the process was pretty simple, not that she can do it easily on her own. Shinobu isn't powerful enough to just suck Koyomi dry. She's actually more helpless than a human girl of the same age at this point so Koyomi has to choose to let her drink enough blood to return to her old form. Part if it is from the seal that Oshino placed on her I think. There's also a question of whether she actually wants to return to her old self.

I don't remember specific things, but the overall impression was that she helped of her own will without him having to resort to actually ordering her to do so.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 14:07   Link #84
Lummie

Quote:
By easy, I meant that the process was pretty simple, not that she can do it easily on her own. Shinobu isn't powerful enough to just suck Koyomi dry. She's actually more helpless than a human girl of the same age at this point so Koyomi has to choose to let her drink enough blood to return to her old form. Part if it is from the seal that Oshino placed on her I think. There's also a question of whether she actually wants to return to her old self.

I don't remember specific things, but the overall impression was that she helped of her own will without him having to resort to actually ordering her to do so.
Thus that's part she currently plays in the main story . Must be kinda sad for her to have these restrictions but is she the only vampire now? In the first Anime intro, there were appearences of other characters who looked like her subordinates to me or are they hunters? Anyway, could you explain some about them please (They look kinda mysterious to me, that's why i'm curious about them)

Srry for the bad screenshots but had to take them from a online player. And everything went too fast in that opening .
Old 2009-09-01, 14:38   Link #85
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Thus that's part she currently plays in the main story . Must be kinda sad for her to have these restrictions but is she the only vampire now? In the first Anime intro, there were appearences of other characters who looked like her subordinates to me or are they hunters? Anyway, could you explain some about them please (They look kinda mysterious to me, that's why i'm curious about them)

Srry for the bad screenshots but had to take them from a online player. And everything went too fast in that opening .
Those 3 are vampire hunters. The first is a half vampire, the second is a bishop from some new religion and the 3rd is a full vampire. There are other vampires around, but Kiss-shot is on a whole other level.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-09-01, 14:44   Link #86
Lummie

Quote:
Those 3 are vampire hunters. The first is a half vampire, the second is a bishop from some new religion and the 3rd is a full vampire. There are other vampires around, but Kiss-shot is on a whole other level.
Vampire hunts vampire? That's entirely new to me Were they after Shinobu and Araragi only to be killed? Hehe, you stated that Shinobu was invincible in her old vampire form XD. Either case, Oshino dealt with the first one after seeing the intro. Oh boy, i really want this arc to be animated in the second season.
Old 2009-09-01, 14:56   Link #87
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Vampire hunts vampire? That's entirely new to me :heh.
Never heard of blade ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120611/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_(comics)
Old 2009-09-01, 15:05   Link #88
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Vampire hunts vampire? That's entirely new to me Were they after Shinobu and Araragi only to be killed? Hehe, you stated that Shinobu was invincible in her old vampire form XD. Either case, Oshino dealt with the first one after seeing the intro. Oh boy, i really want this arc to be animated in the second season.
Yeah, vampires hunt their own kind too. Even though Oshino is pretty powerful, he doesn't fight. His only agenda is to keep things in balance. Those 3 were hunting Kiss-Shot. And Kiss-Shot was practically invincible.
Spoiler for vampire pwnage?:
She says herself that someone of her level almost never gets to use their full power.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-09-01, 15:35   Link #89
Lummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Ah you got me there wow, brings me back to old times when i watched horror movies XD. I forgot that blade was a vampire who hunted vampires.

Quote:
Yeah, vampires hunt their own kind too. Even though Oshino is pretty powerful, he doesn't fight. His only agenda is to keep things in balance. Those 3 were hunting Kiss-Shot. And Kiss-Shot was practically invincible.
Spoiler for vampire pwnage?:
She says herself that someone of her level almost never gets to use their full power.
A student and a card holder of the over thirty club defeated such a monster, your freaking kidding me!?! Even Blade would've been crushed instantly against such a high lvl vampire.
Old 2009-09-01, 15:42   Link #90
Da~Mike

^ And Hellsing is another vampire anime that comes to mind.

And is it just me or does that bishop guy look like Oshino?
Or is it just the usual animated characters look the same save for their hair, eyes and colours of everything else?
Da~Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 15:48   Link #91
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Ah you got me there wow, brings me back to old times when i watched horror movies XD. I forgot that blade was vampire who hunted vampires.

A student and a card holder of the over thirty club defeated such a monster, your freaking kidding me!?! Even Blade would've been crushed instantly against such a high lvl vampire.
I wouldn't really say defeated, although Oshino is pretty sneaky. Kiss-Shot gave Koyomi a few handicaps.

Spoiler for more pwnage?:

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-09-01, 15:55   Link #92
Lummie

@Da-mike, i've never watched that anime but i might try it out

Quote:
I wouldn't really say defeated, although Oshino is pretty sneaky. Kiss-Shot gave Koyomi a few handicaps.

Spoiler for more pwnage?:
Well i'm not the type who cares if he get's spoiled , as long as i know how most things goes. It's not like i'll ever find those novels translated here in a bookstore so my only source is asking in different threads for spoilerstuff XD.

Spoiler for Thx Ickem for the awsome spoiler:
Old 2009-09-01, 16:04   Link #93
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:

Well i'm not the type who cares if he get's spoiled , as long as i know how most things goes. It's not like i'll ever find those novels translated here in a bookstore so my only source is asking in different threads for spoilerstuff XD.

And hope it gets translated at bakatsuki
Old 2009-09-01, 16:08   Link #94
Lummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
And hope it gets translated at bakatsuki
Don't get your hopes too high i'd say The time gaps with new updated translations are enormous and they're only updating Haruhi and Zero no tsukaima. There isn't any progress on the other stories so i don't really expect a really bright future for the other novels.
Old 2009-09-01, 17:20   Link #95
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:

Spoiler for mad spoilers for Kizumonogatari be here:

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-09-01, 17:37   Link #96
Da~Mike

^Lummie Hellsing (the 2001 anime adaptation) was pretty good up till about episode something... basically just past the mid point, when the story became garbled the further it deviated from the manga. That said, I've never read the manga but I do know the Hellsing Ultimate OVA is more or less identical to the manga (more gore and other stuff). I personally prefer the 2001 series over the OVA, though that's contrary to popular opinion.

And hey, cut Bakatsuki some slack.
Translating and editing novels is a far more painful process than one might think.
Moreover, comparing anime subbing with novels, it's far more difficult to translate all those reams of text in a novel, whereas the main thing translated in fan subs is speech, and that's generally quite straightforward.
Furthermore, the way those Japanese light novels are written can make speech a nightmare to follow.

Main limiting factor for novel translation projects would be the availability of translators.
And how willing they are to spend X amount of time (that's a lot of time mind you) to translate every single kanji & kana into English as accurately as possible, then be badgered by editors and asked for source text, and debate the most accurate translation/adaptation of any given phrase in a particular novel.

The Bakatsuki group put a lot of time and effort to produce effectively print-worthy translations as far as I can tell (or compared to the Viz and Tokyoppop novels). They certainly deserve much more credit than people give them.

That aside, if Bakemonogatari gets picked up, it would be a very big challenge to try and translate all that Nisio-in meta-humour into something coherently amusing in English, without it sounding like Japlish or worse yet, leaving too many romanised Japanese words in and needing to explain it somewhere.

Take the title Bakemonogatari. Works well in Japanese but doesn't have a good equivalent in English. 'Ghostory' is not entirely correct as a translation, though it seems to flow better than 'Monstory'. I would stick with 'Monstory' as it remains closer to the original translation of Bakemonogatari.

And then a friend reminded me of some film where an Analyst-Therapist abbreviated his profession to Anal-Rapist.

Many thanks again for all the excerpts ickem.
Da~Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 20:59   Link #97
cyoti

Ghostory > Monstory

The former is clever, the latter is meh.
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 04:36   Link #98
Reekon

I have a question:

* Is there any arc at all where Koyomi helps a male person?

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking it that all the "victims" he's helping are girls. But isn't there an imbalance of some sort here?

It's like aside from Araragi, all oddity victims are always girls.

It's like what Oshino often says, "My my Araragi-kun, you brought a different girl again today?" ;-)
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 09:03   Link #99
Dark Mage

Umm.... I don't know if this allowed or not.....but could someone here please tell me where I can read this Novel in English? I tried to find a site which would let me read it in English but couldn't find one. So please direct me to a link...and if its not allowed to post it here....could you please PM me?
Thanks
Old 2009-09-02, 09:07   Link #100
Lummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Umm.... I don't know if this allowed or not.....but could someone here please tell me where I can read this Novel in English? I tried to find a site which would let me read it in English but couldn't find one. So please direct me to a link...and if its not allowed to post it here....could you please PM me?
Thanks
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...Bakemonogatari

They're currently being translated here although you won't find everything translated and it there's a lot of time between updates. But yeah, this is the only site that actually translates novels.

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, harem, nishio, romance