AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 53 Rating
Perfect 10 40 65.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 21.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 11.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-19, 04:59   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finally. Epic episode was epic. Awesome animation in the last part, and both Mustang and Envy's seiyuu did a fantastic job indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
The Envy reveal was even more awesome than in the manga. I remember that I'd always thought Roy would find out the truth through someone else, never did I expect that the very killer would outright say and show how he did the deed AND boast and laugh in the face of the very people who'd want to avenge Hughes the most. quigonkenny is spot on when he says this portion of the manga is just one CMoA after another, and this was definitely Envy's Crowning Moment of Awesome Evil.
Very evil indeed, but I think "idiocy" also works. He did pretty much everything he should have never done if he wanted to live a bit more in this ep
  • First denying his involvement in Hugues's death, and then mocking Mustang for killing Maria. Which probably only pissed Mustang even more, and also made Envy look pretty pathetic since she's alive and pimpin'. Mustang didn't even bother to correct him.
  • Admitting he was Hugues's muderer so defiantly. Bad idea, very bad idea.
  • Trying to fight head on with Mustang... he only remembered Lust's fate after getting charred a few times. Transforming against Mustang was dumb, though in the end it doesn't change much since Mustang can do pinpoint attacks
  • Taking on Hugues' form... he really wants to die, doesn't he?

I can't think of any other way he could have pissed off Mustang more. As you said, it made the flamerape even more sastifying. So glad they did this part of the manga justice, I expect a lot from the next episode too. Good job, BONES !
Old 2010-04-19, 09:56   Link #22
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Wow, if I didn't love Mustang so much already, this episode definitely makes me adore his character even more =3 I loved all his shots and he's finally in the spotlight again, I'm glad ^^

The first half of the episode got a little confused... so they intentionally kidnapped Wrath's wife just to have her broadcast on the radio? >_> The purpose of which is to gain the trust of the citizens?
Old 2010-04-19, 10:23   Link #23
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup~ View Post
Wow, if I didn't love Mustang so much already, this episode definitely makes me adore his character even more =3 I loved all his shots and he's finally in the spotlight again, I'm glad ^^

The first half of the episode got a little confused... so they intentionally kidnapped Wrath's wife just to have her broadcast on the radio? >_> The purpose of which is to gain the trust of the citizens?
They kidnapped her because they knew that the army wouldn't hesitate shooting her. And because Roy anticipated that he could use her to make full use of the Fuhrer's absence to make him look like the saviour while making the army look like the bad guys in the eyes of the people. If he manages to survive this then Roy will be the absolute hero who might even rival the Fuhrer for the leadership.
Old 2010-04-19, 11:04   Link #24
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
It's been a long a time that I've been anxiously waiting this that who killed Maes Hughes unaware that It was Mrs Hughes, Envy-in-Disguise.

For a YEAR!!

Oh yeah, did I mentioned that This episode kinda reminds me of Gundam 00 where Lyle Fights Ali Al-Sachez which both was same seiyuu?
Old 2010-04-19, 11:32   Link #25
Bombo
TSF Fans

There's no word to say about episode
WONDERFUL..EPICX...OMG..This episode really epic..the second half episode was epic
omg
I like the part when envy got fireball on his face while he stopping chimeras looool
Old 2010-04-19, 13:05   Link #26
Kafriel
Senior Guest

That was badass! Roy's most GAR moments of epicness in 20 minutes of ecstasy! I only gave the episode a 9 because of the poor cliffhanger, I bet 50 bucks that the "Roy" who is with Hawkeye is Envy...and the preview doesn't really help We do get to see some Alex next episode though!
Old 2010-04-19, 13:08   Link #27
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Isn't that obvious? Roy would never turn his back to anyone like that, specially not with a shapeshifting homunculus running around.
Old 2010-04-19, 13:23   Link #28
kitten320

I giuess animators expected us to believe that Riza is Envy because of that face.

Anyway aweasome episode! Go Roy! He sure loved Hughes a lot. So far he is probably the only one because of who Roy shows so many emotions.
Old 2010-04-19, 14:50   Link #29
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Really, i don't see a glove pull as a reference.
More the white glove in front of the body with the alchemic array brazenly displayed than the actual pull.
Old 2010-04-19, 14:51   Link #30
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Very evil indeed, but I think "idiocy" also works. He did pretty much everything he should have never done if he wanted to live a bit more in this ep
  • First denying his involvement in Hugues's death, and then mocking Mustang for killing Maria. Which probably only pissed Mustang even more, and also made Envy look pretty pathetic since she's alive and pimpin'. Mustang didn't even bother to correct him.
  • Admitting he was Hugues's muderer so defiantly. Bad idea, very bad idea.
  • Trying to fight head on with Mustang... he only remembered Lust's fate after getting charred a few times. Transforming against Mustang was dumb, though in the end it doesn't change much since Mustang can do pinpoint attacks
  • Taking on Hugues' form... he really wants to die, doesn't he?

I can't think of any other way he could have pissed off Mustang more.
That's the thing though, Envy always wants to piss off humans, to put them in distress, to make them show their ugly emotions. So as to prove that they are the inferior creatures he claims them to be and that he, an homunculus, is superior.

Though I definitely won't deny that he was way overconfident and severely understimated his opponent here.

Anyways, I'm surprised to see all the anime-only watchers cheering so blindly for Roy without being at least a little shocked with his current behaviour. You do realize he's torturing an opponent for pleasure? In that sense, he's no different from Envy at this point.
Old 2010-04-19, 14:59   Link #31
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Anyways, I'm surprised to see all the anime-only watchers cheering so blindly for Roy without being at least a little shocked with his current behaviour. You do realize he's torturing an opponent for pleasure? In that sense, he's no different from Envy at this point.
I agree with that, I love seeing Roy like this because it shows his darker side, less because he's 'baddass' cooking his opponent like that. I'd say it's less for pleasure but more for self-satisfaction, if he was finding joy in torturing Envy he'd pretty much be a sadist. I remember when we were following the manga and this happened, people were pretty concerned and critical. Maybe the gorgeously animated fire distracts anime-only watchers, because it sure distracted me.
Old 2010-04-19, 15:03   Link #32
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

aww, they ended at the end of the corresponding chapter. but the events that follow this is where it gets really really juicy. i think they drew out the first half of the episode a bit, but when it go going, it was amazing. holy crap, Roy pissed off is frightening.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-04-19, 15:06   Link #33
Ashura5000

Send a message via MSN to Ashura5000
Gah I cant figure it out!

Brilliant episode, no question, but is that piece of music that plays right after the eyecatches- when Mustang is telling everyone to go ahead because Envy is his prey- new?

I cant remember it, but I cant tell if its on the FMA soundtracks!

If it is, could anyone tell me its name?

Thankies
Old 2010-04-19, 15:14   Link #34
Dead Cake

Quote:
I remember being like that when I first read the manga. I didn't really get it why everyone was so concerned :D Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention since I had marathoned dozens of chapters or maybe I just didn't notice it because I like evil and warped characters :D

Now after reading these chapters multiple times I finally understand the awesomeness Arakawa has written <3
Old 2010-04-19, 15:27   Link #35
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
it was all Mustang, everyone else seems to be forgotten, i dont mind tho

Mustang gonna get more fans after this eps
Well, he IS leading a coup d'etat. It only makes s ense the story focuses on him now, especially since the only things he was doing during the briggs arc were intel gathering and organizing the coup.
Old 2010-04-19, 15:33   Link #36
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
Well, he IS leading a coup d'etat. It only makes s ense the story focuses on him now, especially since the only things he was doing during the briggs arc were intel gathering and organizing the coup.
Yeah, and also consider that he's barely been around since after Ed and Ling were swallowed by Gluttony. It's what I like about FMA - every character gets his/her time to shine, and this is Roy's. Well, perhaps not shine, at least not in these particular episodes, but get the spotlight.
Old 2010-04-19, 15:35   Link #37
GaimeGuy

Quote:
That's the thing though, Envy always wants to piss off humans, to put them in distress, to make them show their ugly emotions. So as to prove that they are the inferior creatures he claims them to be and that he, an homunculus, is superior.

Though I definitely won't deny that he was way overconfident and severely understimated his opponent here.

Well I kind of understand the reactions, this this is really the first time we see roy fight unhandicapped.

In the fight with Lust, the first half of the fight consisted of him testing out her regenerative powers and becoming handicapped. the second half had him making a last minute save for Al and Riza using a lighter.

With this episode, we see Roy easily destroy a room ful of immortal soldiers that are giving trouble to a group of chimeras, as well as two of the most powerful alchemists alive. And then we see the most one sided ass kicking since Greed vs. Bradley. It's our first full glimpse of roy at full strength, basically, and it's one "holy shit O_o" moment after another.

BTW, I'd just like to say that envy's screams of agony made Roy's attacks all the more disturbing.
Old 2010-04-19, 15:36   Link #38
Grey

Have to say I liked this episode. They paced some of the events really nicely, and the music matched well too. The Envy reveal? Very nice. And Roy frying all those monster soldiers with swirling flames was pretty impressive. More than the manga even (and he was more thorough/ruthless too).

Quote:
Torturing for pleasure? He's mostly just roasting him to death like Lust. Sure, he's enjoying the fact that Envy's suffers, but all his attacks are pretty tactical--either full body explosions, or shots to the eyes. The only exception was the mouth burn.

As for being no different from Envy...that's painting with a gross brush. When Roy kills a kid to start a civil war, I'll agree. But enjoying the fact that the enemy who murdered your friend suffers while you're trying to blow him to bits? Not really the same.
Old 2010-04-19, 15:42   Link #39
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Have to say I liked this episode. They paced some of the events really nicely, and the music matched well too. The Envy reveal? Very nice. And Roy frying all those monster soldiers with swirling flames was pretty impressive. More than the manga even (and he was more thorough/ruthless too).

Torturing for pleasure? He's mostly just roasting him to death like Lust. Sure, he's enjoying the fact that Envy's suffers, but all his attacks are pretty tactical--either full body explosions, or shots to the eyes. The only exception was the mouth burn.

As for being no different from Envy...that's painting with a gross brush. When Roy kills a kid to start a civil war, I'll agree. But enjoying the fact that the enemy who murdered your friend suffers while you're trying to blow him to bits? Not really the same.
Roy deliberately waits for Envy to fully regenerate after every attack so he can inflict more pain on him. He could have killed him in the same room he killed Lust, but he wants to make it an agonizing death for envy.

He's literally toying with him.
Old 2010-04-19, 16:13   Link #40
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Torturing for pleasure? He's mostly just roasting him to death like Lust.
Haha what? This Roy and the Roy we saw against Lust are completely different.

Against Lust, Roy was fighting to protect his friends and he dispatched her quickly in the most efficient way possible, blasting her with a constant barrage of flame attacks that finished her off in a matter of seconds.

With Envy, he's only fighting to satisfy his own inner wrath, and thus he's targeting his eyeballs to deliberately inflict more pain, actually waiting for him to regenerate so he can prolong his suffering, etc. Like GaimeGuy said, he could've easily killed him right there and then in the same room he killed Lust, but he wants to drag it out to make it all the more agonizing for his prey.
Closed Thread