AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 30 27.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 34.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-31, 05:40   Link #141
hydropod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Good idea. I should also find a stake in the May 2007 issue of Newtype judging by the fact Konata's postcard is in there (Oh it's going to be in there for real, you can count on it). Buy em all up and then Scalp em or something.
Someone had already found it . June edition page 153...
Old 2007-05-31, 05:44   Link #142
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Bleh episode. Half the jokes from the first half were inane variations of jokes from Azumanga, but lacking that series' masterful execution. I think I laughed all of twice during this ep... once when Kagami knocked over the bread-hanging bar and then when Konata bought a volume of Shuffle! she already has (the fact that she buys Shuffle! related merchandise means that my respect for her taste in anime has dropped considerably). Other than that, not a single chuckle-inducing scene for me.

My opinion of this show: falling... falling...
Old 2007-05-31, 06:58   Link #143
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Miyuki: I hope ill finish first ^^....Abridged-Joey : With ya boobies right?

I'd rather saw Konata-chan racing...but she looked so cool in that suit <3...aww poor Tsukasa this is definitly an unlucky ep (I feel for ya!!)

Konata: Me not speaking english..XD

(hears preview for next ep)...Ok Miyuki stop it!...just stop it already! ><"

Hope they will make a figure of Konata!!!...Tsukasa will also be good or Kagami....but Miyuki...
I REALLY hope to heaven she'll get better in the next eps..I dont wanna hate her!!><
Old 2007-05-31, 07:53   Link #144
yura`

This episode was a notch down for me from the previous one, although there were still some really funny moments. Kagami knocking over the bread-hanging bar was definitely the funniest moment for me - didn't really see that coming, but somehow it just seems so 'typical' for the accident to happen.

Quite a lot of jokes were lost on me for this episode; probably explains why I felt a little lost (either that, or it just didn't appeal to me this time). But Lucky Channel is slowly improving, IMO, almost as if the animation team is reading our 'complaints', lol.

The karaoke segment was pulled off in a funny twist, with a different take on it this episode, rather than the usual banter between the girls. Gotta love the long drawn-out intro, and Konata singing barely past the first line before giving up because it's "English". Lol.
Old 2007-05-31, 08:05   Link #145
Blaat

Quote:
Also I hereby demand that the mystery loli that appears at the 8:06 mark be in every episode from now on. In like 10 seconds she is more loli-moe than the entire cast of the episode.
She's been there since episode 1 (check the opening ^^) so I'll say eventually she will get a bigger role.
Old 2007-05-31, 08:18   Link #146
X207
Gamyūsa

wat was that song during that relay race?

also, wats with that "aya aya etc " chant??
Old 2007-05-31, 08:19   Link #147
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Now with video reference. Just pretend that Kaorin is Kagami, and Kimura is Konata's father.

Spoiler for embedded YouTube video.:
Cheers.
ROFL. Thanks for the visual reference, I believe that's exactly how Kona-chan's father would behave. Though Kona-chan wouldn't be as freaked out as Kaorin.

Just seeing the screenshots was one-thing, but watching the episode was another experience altogether. I find myself laughing from beginning to end.

Highlight of the ep has got to be Kagami knocking the bread-hanging bar. It was typical slapstick, but executed superbly.

I still find it weird that the rest of the schoolgirls (as well as cafe ladies), all sounded like the creepy Orochimaru from Naruto (since they're all voiced by Kujira).

Collecting manga volumes myself, I totally understand how Kona-chan feels when she accidentally bought another copy of a volume she already has. It's sometimes hard to keep track of how many volumes you have, especially long running series.
Old 2007-05-31, 08:50   Link #148
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
i loved it when tsukasa burned konata.

damn, kagami is portrayed as some food-loving monster. but she's still the cutest.
Old 2007-05-31, 11:14   Link #149
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As for the preview, absolutely worthless! It was just the three girls walking around? C'mon, now!
I found it fairly entertaining in the fact that it's was Miyuki's preview, and the entire thing was Konata, Tsukasa, and Kagami walking together talking.
Old 2007-05-31, 11:25   Link #150
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Bleh episode. Half the jokes from the first half were inane variations of jokes from Azumanga, but lacking that series' masterful execution. I think I laughed all of twice during this ep... once when Kagami knocked over the bread-hanging bar and then when Konata bought a volume of Shuffle! she already has (the fact that she buys Shuffle! related merchandise means that my respect for her taste in anime has dropped considerably). Other than that, not a single chuckle-inducing scene for me.

My opinion of this show: falling... falling...
In all fairness to Konata, she has to like whatever Kadokawa wants her to like. Though I agree they could have come up with at least 20 better titles for her to buy than Shuffle! Expect sales to spike for that magazine though (maybe the sales were low so they had her buy the volume in the episode to boost them).

Whatever the case the fact that she bought one that she already was is a great stab at the buying frenzies that otaku get worked up into. This was my favourite joke of the episode along with "Mistakes of Youth" and some of the sports events jokes (not including the Miyuki win joke which I've seen many times before). There's something mildy amusing about watching these girls fall flat on their asses. It's not something you see everyday. First half was mildly amusing and not a complete waste, In the second half the School Scenes and the Kagami and Tsukasa Recorder scenes were balls, but the manga store and the walking scene made up for them. I've noticed a trend that the first half often has strong jokes and the second half is really slow and boring up until the last couple of minutes where the best joke is usually used and the momentum builds only to be cut off by Lucky Channel (which is usually boring, but this episode they actually made fun of how they are a one trick pony, which is so true as to make Lucky Channel mildy amusing for the first time).
Old 2007-05-31, 11:27   Link #151
z3phyr.mp3
:love: Tsukasa :love:
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to z3phyr.mp3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I found it fairly entertaining in the fact that it's was Miyuki's preview, and the entire thing was Konata, Tsukasa, and Kagami walking together talking.
yeah... i also found it interesting that the preview only shows konata, tsukasa and kagami walking... and all throughout the preview they were exchanging places...

best part for me in the episode has got to be tsukasa imagining herself to be the older of the twins and believing that older=smarter...

also loved the recorder playing part where tsukasa's ribbon reflected her state...

konata is right when saying that kagami has goota keep the twin tail look...

btw is tsundere = bipolar

the part when tsukasa had tsukkomi konata about the choco coronet was great especially seeing konata's reaction...

and as others have already mentioned... miyuki winning because of her assets, kagami and tsukasa's mishaps during their events also brought a smile to my face...

hmmm... i think i'll be summarizing the episode if i mention the things that i thought great... overall i really liked this episode... 10 out of 10 for me...
Old 2007-05-31, 11:41   Link #152
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3phyr.mp3 View Post

konata is right when saying that kagami has goota keep the twin tail look...

btw is tsundere = bipolar
Absolutely (though she does occasionally do other cute things with her hair).

I'll actually cut A.F.K. some slack on that loose interpretation. Its incorrect... actually if I were going for localization, I'd have probably written Konata saying something politically incorrect about Kagamin ("hormonal" .... "PMSing")

This episode had me feeling a bit more like I was reading the comic than watching some overlayered "implicit reference we've inserted" show. I can tell if I've really liked the show by how disappointed I am when the Lucky*Channel card comes up. A few points to L*C this week just because of the marvelous animation wackiness.

I think the repeated Shuffle! barbs are rather cute (Kona goes for the low-brow lurid). However, I consider all the Kagami-Tsukasa interactions to be the priceless parts of the episode.

Kona-dad: I was expecting a lower-register voice but it works, hopefully we'll get to see more than the one gag version of him.

I think my favorite part was the flute recorder sequence ... we have a "musical" household so I have years of experience listening to music being tortured until they get it right.

-----------------------------
As far as "riffing from AzuDa" ... I'm not sure its possible to do a school sports festival without repeating some of the situations since by definition they run the same events. All you can do is make the event fit the personalities you've developed. "Trying too hard" Kagami, "Spaced out" Tsukasa, "3 cup sizes bigger for the win" Miyuki, and "Largo-filter worldview" Kona ...
Azumanga Daioh was written in 1999 and the anime was broadcast in 2002 .... given the recycled nature of comedy in general (all roads lead back through the Honeymooners and off to vaudeville), I think after five years its okay to try a variant take on situations.

Just because I love the Marx Brothers and Looney Toons doesn't mean I can't appreciate Animaniacs ...

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-31 at 13:41.
Old 2007-05-31, 12:09   Link #153
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
About the Shuffle bit:
She plays ero-games for Christ's sake!
She have quoted Mayumi's flat chests line, have a Mayumi poster in her bedroom, she could have very well played Tsukihime and have a craploads of Tsukihime merchandise, made Tsukihime references in the anime, or she could be a 100% Naruto fangirl and hoard a truckload of Naruto goodie, it would have been the same deal. It just so happens that KyoAni or the director have chosen Shuffle because?? For the hell of it? Just like how some people like to quote the Holy Bible or how Tarantino choose to make his soundtrack off various songs instead of hiring someone like Hans Zimmer or Danny Elfman?

So if Konata had another kind of goodies under the label of a big name like Final Fantasy or Gundam, would you scream viral marketing? Would you question her tastes?
Old 2007-05-31, 12:32   Link #154
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
In all fairness to Konata, she has to like whatever Kadokawa wants her to like. Though I agree they could have come up with at least 20 better titles for her to buy than Shuffle! Expect sales to spike for that magazine though (maybe the sales were low so they had her buy the volume in the episode to boost them).
probably...after the failure that is the recap series some unsold stock needs a boot up the ass
but then again they cant be accused of product placement too much if the series they are "placing" in front of the viewers isnt some massive hyped up series in the first place (i bet you would be choking if a certain "uguu" character popped up )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-31, 12:33   Link #155
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh.... its okay.. calm down There's just some very strong opinions about Shuffle! that permeate the board. Sorrow-K and I tend to think of it as a trainwreck for a variety of reasons we've already posted innumerable times about. Its actually kind of funny she follows it. Naturally, Konata would think highly of Mayumi with her assertive nature and "special tastes" style.
Old 2007-05-31, 12:48   Link #156
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
About the Shuffle bit:
She plays ero-games for Christ's sake!
She have quoted Mayumi's flat chests line, have a Mayumi poster in her bedroom, she could have very well played Tsukihime and have a craploads of Tsukihime merchandise, made Tsukihime references in the anime, or she could be a 100% Naruto fangirl and hoard a truckload of Naruto goodie, it would have been the same deal. It just so happens that KyoAni or the director have chosen Shuffle because?? For the hell of it? Just like how some people like to quote the Holy Bible or how Tarantino choose to make his soundtrack off various songs instead of hiring someone like Hans Zimmer or Danny Elfman?

So if Konata had another kind of goodies under the label of a big name like Final Fantasy or Gundam, would you scream viral marketing? Would you question her tastes?
They didn't choose Shuffle for the hell of it or because its an H-Game, they chose it because it was in a Kadokawa Shoten published magazine. She's also not going to have Final Fantasy merchandise. She'd sooner have a Record of Lodoss War, or Lunar: The Silver Star Story disc than a Final Fantasy VII copy. Kadokawa however does indeed publish Gundam Ace so there's a chance that Crossbone Gundam could appear in some capacity.
Old 2007-05-31, 12:54   Link #157
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Whether or not adverting is the intention... its a lot cheaper to use material for which you already have an interest in the copyright (especially since the gag depended on a closeup of the volumes).

Not that exposure in Lucky*Star would have any chance of helping the thing as it slides into oblivion
Old 2007-05-31, 18:31   Link #158
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I think people are really over-estimating Lucky Star's influence and people's gullibleness if they think that a couple of reference in that to a mediocre harem with waning popularity is going to effect its sales. I mean, really.

And I don't think the Shuffle! references are a bad thing. I actually think they're kind of cute in a way, just like most of the other references in a series. But, hypothetically speaking, if I were to meet Konota IRL and she said she was a Shuffle! fan, I would start having question marks about her taste in anime, just as I would for any other anime fan that professed that. I mean, as diplomatically as I can possibly put this, the Shuffle! fan is a species I've always had a difficult time trying to understand...
Old 2007-05-31, 19:21   Link #159
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Great episode overall.

Bits I loved:
  • Tsunderes must sport twintails!
  • The Scavenger Mystery .
  • The ruler trick.
  • Tsukasa's "If I were the older sister..."
  • Konata's postcard... and Kagami's "support"
  • Konata's trying to dodge the points system... and failing. But not like she cares that much .

(I find Skane's system better suited to comment about LS; the show is just constructed that way )

I still resent the tsundere/bipolar bit, but since a.f.k. releases have been fast and accuarate overall, that isn't much to complain about.

Still: Tsundere =/= Bipolar
Old 2007-05-31, 20:30   Link #160
yanouchi
Angsty Shizuma!!!

somebody please explain why Shiraishi said "Don't touch me" when Akira-sama peeling the clipboard??...
Closed Thread