AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-11-24, 19:54   Link #1
AnimeFangirl

The Firefox Help Thread

I don't want to create a whole new thread about this, so does anyone know how to get rid of those dratted tabs in Firefox? It didn't have them before, but then I clicked something by mistake (open in new tab, I think) and now I have this ugly, annoying and cumbersome third toolbar taking up unnecessary space on my screen. I don't think it's convenient, I don't think it's pretty, I don't think it's useful and I'm at a complete loss as to how to get rid of it. Google turned up nothing, and I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times to no avail. Any ideas, anyone?

Edit: Almost exactly 3 years later, I love the tabs! I don't know how I ever did wtihout them.

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2007-11-25 at 04:26.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 00:22   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

You didn't want to create a new thread, but I already cautioned in that thread that this sort of thing is off-topic. Now we can use this thread for any sort of Firefox help.

One important rule: This thread is not for browser wars. If anyone even mentions any other browser I will delete the post.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 08:10   Link #3
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
1. you can click the X in the right of the Tab-bar to close the tabs.
2. you can middle mouse click (if you have a clicking scroll wheel) on the tab
3. make your own extension that disables opening stuff in tabs

other than that there are no methodes i know to get rid of it.

ps: tabbed browsing is handy imo, better 10 tabs than 10 windows imo
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 23:18   Link #4
guess

FireFox_remeber users name?

I am using Firefox and I have a question: how do I reset it so that it doesn't remember the email/user's name? When I log in my hotmail account, it automatically remembers the email adress even after I select "do NOT remember my email" something. When I use inter explorer, I don't have this problem.
Is there a way to set it in a way that it doesn't keep record of user's name/ website address/password?

One more thing: I am using Azureus. Does anyone know how to disable the "automatically detect if upgrade is available" function? It's getting annoying. Thanks.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-11-29 at 01:19. Reason: Threads merged. Please SEARCH before creating a new topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 23:30   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I am using Firefox and I have a question: how do I reset it so that it doesn't remember the email/user's name? When I log in my hotmail account, it automatically remembers the email adress even after I select "do NOT remember my email" something. When I use inter explorer, I don't have this problem.
Is there a way to set it in a way that it doesn't keep record of user's name/ website address/password?

One more thing: I am using Azureus. Does anyone know how to disable the "automatically detect if upgrade is available" function? It's getting annoying. Thanks.
Try tools>options>privicy>saved passwords. Then make sure remember pasword box is unchecked. beyond that, I'm not sure, I'm a new user of firefox myself, and haven't had any problems, so I didn't bother to check out all the options.
For your azureus problem, uninstall it, then install any other client.
Old 2004-11-28, 23:31   Link #6
LynnieS

What about clearing the password manager?

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Saved Passwords -> View Saved Passwords

If you don't want to have FireFox remember the password for a site, clear it first, and then tell it to not remember the password after logging back in. That should put this site into the second tab panel.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 23:40   Link #7
guess

That was the first thing I checked. As far as I can tell, that box was never checked. I never had a problem like this before when using Firefox. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 2004-11-29, 00:20   Link #8
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
For Azureus:
Tools-options-Interface-start- uncheck the auto update options.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 02:11   Link #9
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I don't want to create a whole new thread about this, so does anyone know how to get rid of those dratted tabs in Firefox? It didn't have them before, but then I clicked something by mistake (open in new tab, I think) and now I have this ugly, annoying and cumbersome third toolbar taking up unnecessary space on my screen.
I like to keep my Firefox clean as well. One of the things I did when I was customizing the toolbars was to take out the Navigation Bar since I have no use for it. This may lessen the clutter a bit for you.

Quote:
That was the first thing I checked. As far as I can tell, that box was never checked. I never had a problem like this before when using Firefox. Any ideas? Thanks.
You have to delete your cookies I think. Firefox also gives you the freedom of which cookies to delete--since you might want to keep some, like cookies related to Animesuki forums for example.

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies -> View Cookies
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 19:33   Link #10
guess

Ooops, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
For Azureus:
Tools-options-Interface-start- uncheck the auto update options.
And, where is this "Tool" option? I only see file, view lanuage, and help.
I am using 2.1.0.4. thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
You have to delete your cookies I think. Firefox also gives you the freedom of which cookies to delete--since you might want to keep some, like cookies related to Animesuki forums for example.

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies -> View Cookies
This is though. I can't diable cookies because hotmail doesn't allow that. If I don't disable them, firefox memorizes this stuff. Is there a way to go around this?
Old 2004-11-29, 19:54   Link #11
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Ooops, sorry.

And, where is this "Tool" option? I only see file, view lanuage, and help.
I am using 2.1.0.4. thanks.
In 2.1 it is under "view - configuration-", instead of "tools-options-" if I remember right. 2.2 moved it to a tools menu.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 19:59   Link #12
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
This is though. I can't diable cookies because hotmail doesn't allow that. If I don't disable them, firefox memorizes this stuff. Is there a way to go around this?
You don't have to disable anything. Just delete.

I think there's also an extension which helps you manage cookies more effectively, but I'm not really sure what it's called.
Old 2004-11-29, 21:38   Link #13
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
You don't have to disable anything. Just delete.

I think there's also an extension which helps you manage cookies more effectively, but I'm not really sure what it's called.
Now I have to delete cookies every time I log in or out. Please, there must be a way to make this more painless.

Oh, while I was testing this, I got this message:

"The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA. If you resend the data, any action the form carried out (such as a search or online purchase) will be repeated. To resend the data, click OK. Otherwise, click cancel."

Does this help?
Old 2004-11-29, 22:39   Link #14
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Now I have to delete cookies every time I log in or out. Please, there must be a way to make this more painless.
Like I said, there's an extension that helps you manage your cookies. I'm not that sure though if this is what you're looking for.

I think there's also some code you can put in your user.js that enables Firefox to automatically delete your cookies every time you quit. Don't quote me on that however, since I'm no technical expert on code. Check the Mozillazine forums, and perhaps someone there might provide you with more definite answers.

Quote:
Oh, while I was testing this, I got this message:

"The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA. If you resend the data, any action the form carried out (such as a search or online purchase) will be repeated. To resend the data, click OK. Otherwise, click cancel."

Does this help?
I presume this is Hotmail, because I remember encountering that message a few times already. It's no big deal really. Just click OK.

EDIT: Hmmm. Ok. After a bit of searching, I was able to find some extensions that you might find useful. I hope one of these will help.

Add N Edit Cookies
Cookie Button
CookieCuller
View Cookies

Last edited by kujoe; 2004-11-29 at 23:22.
Old 2006-01-01, 08:15   Link #15
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

problem..firefox?

the avator¬¬¬and post "new thread".."edit"."reply"'s etc all img seems to disappear...
am i the only one?!

...can't doing anyway without those
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 10:30   Link #16
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm using Opera and they all work fine.

If FireFox has an option to "show only cached images" make sure that it isn't on (this is a nice feature in Opera that can drastically speed up web browsing; I presume FireFox has it in some way as well).

Along the lines of the cache, you could try clearing your cache to see if that fixes anything. What version of FireFox are you using?
Old 2006-01-01, 11:51   Link #17
Lilith
Your average fangirl

*nods to The Small One* They're blue and not brown anymore. I thought it was because I didn't visit the forum for a while. XD;;
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 12:32   Link #18
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
*nods to The Small One* They're blue and not brown anymore. I thought it was because I didn't visit the forum for a while. XD;;
Hehe...yeah, the winter-mint smileys have been brought up in this thread ( Forum images/smilies (was: Skype icon broken)). GHDpro posted a note about it near the end of the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chison
the avator¬¬¬and post "new thread".."edit"."reply"'s etc all img seems to disappear...
am i the only one?!
Hmmm...well, I fired up my Firefox today and checked it out. Everything looks normal to me. No missing buttons. Maybe try to clear your browser cache?
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 15:40   Link #19
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

NOPE~clear everything and checked for updates ...but still~
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/711/213213231dt.png
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 16:10   Link #20
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Make sure "load images" is enabled and that you haven't blocked images from "forums.animesuki.com".
(see Tools > Options : Content : Load Images [Exceptions])
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browsers, firefox