AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 39 35.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 33.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.73%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-18, 07:55   Link #341
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And what does Alto whine about, exactly?

- Tak
Whine? Nah, Emotional, Over Dramatic, Angsty and generally in a bad mood most of the time, Yes. I know what he needs. He needs some Topamax and Lexapro to get normal.
Old 2008-08-18, 08:03   Link #342
.Mero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Whine? Nah, Emotional, Over Dramatic, Angsty and generally in a bad mood most of the time, Yes. I know what he needs. He needs some Topamax and Lexapro to get normal.
Or a good slap in the face with a nice backhand from Sheryl
Old 2008-08-18, 08:07   Link #343
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Generally in a bad mood is right. But I donīt see the rest.
Old 2008-08-18, 09:53   Link #344
goth~loli

sheryl also found out in the episode that ranka likes alto when she said "that girl..." atleast I think so. So she would probably stay away from alto for her. poor sheryl unlike ranka she understands someone else's feelings
Old 2008-08-18, 10:09   Link #345
goth~loli

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayumi08 View Post
Bah, Leon showing his evil grin...I hope he really get squash by a vajra soon.
I wonder what's gonna happen to Cathy...it don't look good for her and her dad in the next episode. As for the triangle-ship, seems to be swinging here & there and then rides the merry-go-round...whatever, it's still leaning towards SxA. I do like the Ranka & Brera sibling bonding moments in this episode though. Cute.
you know I guess her dad dies and guessing from the preview where gaurds are surrounding cathy leon takes over when her dad dies and starts destroying evrything in Macross. And then Grace might back stab him once hefinds out she's a vajra btw is leon a vajra or human?
Old 2008-08-18, 10:36   Link #346
Zhaozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Ranka enjoyed singing before she even met Alto. Singing Aimo represented her connection to a past that she couldn't remember, and she aspired to one day become a famous singer just like Sheryl.
Exactly. It all started as a connection to the past. Ranka admired Sheryl though not only as a singer, she also loved her confidence. She said she wanted to become like her one day (ep. 02) exactly for this confidence and aura of her she was obviously lacking. It was not only about singing, although if you listen to a songstress you must like her singing as well.

This is something that makes her different from Sheryl, I suppose. Ranka already sang, she just thought she could have used her songs to become something more.

Quote:
You can quote any number of earlier times in which Ranka came to Alto for advice, but they differed in the fact that they were about finding the courage to pursue something that Ranka knew she wanted to do.
Technically, in ep. 16 Ozma asked her if this is what Ranka wanted to do, and Ranka answered "yes"

Quote:
The question with episode seventeen was not about finding the courage to become Frontier's weapon, but rather whether it was alright to use her song in that way. Ranka initially had reservations about doing it, and was in low spirits. In order to resolve these doubts, she needed to address whether this new role fit in with her dreams, and to decide whether she really believed in it.
Let's quit the part about fitting in with her dreams for a moment, alright? It was never even addressed in the show as a theme

Currently -> singing to the people of Frontier != singing to save the people of Frontier

In ep. 14 Ranka sympathized with the Vajra. After that it was obvious she wouldn't have been pleased that her songs were used to kill Vajra, but that was all.

What I question is whether Ranka was trying to gain Alto's approval or asking for Alto's support.

Quote:
Let's take a look at the dialogue. Ranka is initially downcast, and asks Alto "Is it alright?" In response, Alto acknowledges "That's what I think, at least." Instantaneously, you see a change in her demeanor. Rather than seeing whether this is something that she wants to do, Ranka only looks to see if this is something that Alto would want her to do. That's why she starts to run into problems in this episode.
Have you ever thought that maybe what Alto said actually convinced her?

When Alto said that people in his squad were happy because it made them easier to fight, Ranka could have stopped asking. She could already have thought that for herself, because it was obvious that doing that would have helped Alto in battle.

Ranka instead was having moral qualms, even Alto understood that. Alto gave Ranka a way to think about the situation that would have made her feel better. Alto not finishing a sentence was sounding a bit insecure of himself (more like quoting a textbook than a personal opinion), that's why Ranka had to make sure with a further question. How can you learn to be confident about something you have doubts with when even people you know are not sounding very secure about that? With his last line he was smiling, and that made him look a lot more confident. Ranka felt joy because she found a solution for her problems, and she was also in awe because it was Alto, only Alto, always Alto who gave her that.

This is Alto's appeal to Ranka. Ozma is always over-protective, but Alto gives Ranka stimulating, useful, well thought-out advice. This is support.

Quote:
Had Ranka decided that she wanted to help the people of Frontier as part of her original goal to leave a mark on society,
What do they have to do with each others? Yeah, singing is involved with both, but aside from that? Frankly, I am tired of always hearing this nonsense

Quote:
But because she based her decision on what she thought Alto would want her to do, she ended up in a situation where she doesn't really enjoy what she's doing.
She is so not enjoying it that she went into battle without being told to, and kept singing even when it was not needed anymore

Quote:
The scenes are presented in a gender specific context
Uh... I assume you are meaning that humans have two sexes. I think it's an extreme case of stating the obvious, though

Quote:
The reason why I generalized the situation is because it's much easier for many people (myself included) to relate to this problem if it's presented in a gender independent fashion.
This problem was never presented in a gender fashion even in Frontier to begin with. In ep. 14 it was about adults and children, not about women and men. If you remember something I don't, point it out to me

Quote:
As for rhetoric... even the act of you pointing this out is rhetoric in itself.
No, because it's a fact. This is the distinction between rhetoric and logic.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what your agenda is; the only things that matter are your points and how you argue them.
Rhetoric is not about agendas, it's about arguements. Lousy arguements. Usually with a lot of adjectives

Quote:
These two things are not mutually exclusive. Ranka can retain her individuality, and pursue a relationship with Alto at the same time.
Let's say she is not stone cold and she can't. Now, what do you think?

Quote:
Maslow wasn't laying down a doctorine on how we "should" prioritize our needs; he was laying out a system describing how people tend to prioritize their needs.

If you try to conciously make decisions using Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it might result in something like "Hmm... I really do want to overcome my poor self-esteem, but Maslow's triangle tells me that it's more important just to have sex."
Once an individual has moved upwards to the next level, needs in the lower level will no longer be prioritized. If a lower set of needs is no longer being met, the individual will temporarily re-prioritize those needs by focusing attention on the unfulfilled needs, but will not permanently regress to the lower level . For instance, a businessman at the esteem level who is diagnosed with cancer will spend a great deal of time concentrating on his health (physiological needs), but will continue to value his work performance (esteem needs) and will likely return to work during periods of remission.

You have poor self-esteem by choice, don't blame lack of sex

I didn't cite Maslow to tell you how to take your decisions. The point was that different individuals may have different priorities, and that was perfectly natural to do so. So natural even psychologists noticed that.

Quote:
It's inappropiate to talk about POV in the absence of a narrator, and we can't presume to know the writers' intentions.
(sophisms just because you want to contradict me won't earn you a point )

In movies and video games first- and third-person are often used to describe camera viewpoints; the former being a character's own, and the latter being the more familiar "general" camera showing a scene.

In this case, we see Ranka running up the stairs, and then she comes out and see Alto and Sheryl together. Because of this, this is Ranka's POV. If Ranka ran up the stairs, met Alto and then Sheryl came, it would have been Ranka's POV too. She is the person that the camera is following, that makes it her scene.

Quote:
The irony of the scene is that for all intents and purposes, Ranka has won out. She's reached the top of the music world, and her rival is dying. The conversation on the rooftop between Alto and Sheryl isn't about romance; it's simply about Sheryl telling Alto the truth about her impending death.
This is another thing taken as truth because it was mentioned so many times. How can you say that Sheryl was going to tell Alto the truth about her impending death? How about something like that she loves him?
Old 2008-08-18, 12:08   Link #347
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mero View Post
Or a good slap in the face with a nice backhand from Sheryl
Or Bright could appear out of nowhere and do it.
Old 2008-08-18, 12:09   Link #348
Un1234l

Argghh!!

I love and hate this episode. Well, not hate, because it pulled on my heart strings so nicely. Since we have a 3rd person perspective, we know Sheryl's up there with Alto, but Ranka doesn't. AND SHE LOOKED SO HAPPY. When I realized Ranka was running up the stairs to confess the Alto, my mind was like, (forgive the profanity) "What the fuck... what the fuck.. what the fuckk! WHAT THE FUCCKK!!". Not in an angry way of course, but more of a surprised way.

President getting assassinated, the truth about the Vajra, Leon and Grace's plan, Brera and Ranka's history, Alto's decisions, Sheryl's decision, Mikhail and "Kuran"'s relationship... AND MORE.

I'm hoping they can conclude it all AND more whilst not having a rushed ending. Glad they stretched it up to 28 episodes...
Old 2008-08-18, 12:16   Link #349
MaiHikari

The things Zhaozhou wrote are incoherent most of the time that I forgot what point he was trying to make. Disecting an analysis the way it was not meant to be disected and stating your reaction to each sentence is not a response. Let's get back to MF shall we?

I think we should give Alto some credit. He was Sheryl's first real friend since cyborg Grace doesn't count. I noticed that Sheryl did come to the concert because Alto still has an effect on her. And may be for him, she'll fight to live, or live the remainder of her life to the utmost.

Yes, he's generally moody so perhaps a girlfriend would help.
Old 2008-08-18, 12:33   Link #350
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And what does Alto whine about, exactly?

- Tak
Mikhail shooting him in the one episode. He seemed to have spent days being angry over that.
Old 2008-08-18, 12:33   Link #351
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Yes, he's generally moody so perhaps a girlfriend would help.
That's why he needs Sheryl to slap him around.
Old 2008-08-18, 12:45   Link #352
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
That's why he needs Sheryl to slap him around.
Indeed. And Iīd say a lot of his frustrations will go away as soon as gets some.
Old 2008-08-18, 12:46   Link #353
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Indeed. And Iīd say a lot of his frustrations will go away as soon as gets some.
And he'll be full of hopes and dreams.
Old 2008-08-18, 12:50   Link #354
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Unless Ranka got over Alto; or at least her infatuation from him. her singing career is going downhill. She's a songstress that can be used against the enemies yeah; but as a singer; lol. Mainstream audiences will just remember her singing because of the Vajra but not as a singer entirely.
Old 2008-08-18, 13:28   Link #355
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1234l View Post
Argghh!!

I love and hate this episode. Well, not hate, because it pulled on my heart strings so nicely. Since we have a 3rd person perspective, we know Sheryl's up there with Alto, but Ranka doesn't. AND SHE LOOKED SO HAPPY. When I realized Ranka was running up the stairs to confess the Alto, my mind was like, (forgive the profanity) "What the fuck... what the fuck.. what the fuckk! WHAT THE FUCCKK!!". Not in an angry way of course, but more of a surprised way.

President getting assassinated, the truth about the Vajra, Leon and Grace's plan, Brera and Ranka's history, Alto's decisions, Sheryl's decision, Mikhail and "Kuran"'s relationship... AND MORE.

I'm hoping they can conclude it all AND more whilst not having a rushed ending. Glad they stretched it up to 28 episodes...
It's funny because I was like "go away.... go away.... go awaaay!! GO AWAY!! ARGH!" Ah, well. I still even now can't find it in me to feel bad for her. Her whole day of giggles and ice cream versus Sheryl's day? Yeah. Not feeling it.

But I agree with the rest. Next episode should go awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS
Unless Ranka got over Alto; or at least her infatuation from him. her singing career is going downhill. She's a songstress that can be used against the enemies yeah; but as a singer; lol. Mainstream audiences will just remember her singing because of the Vajra but not as a singer entirely.
I think Ranka's spine is coming soon. Though I do think she needs an epic song of Do You Remember Love proportions (okay that might be too lofty a goal), or are least a song filled with some out pouring of real emotions should be nice. I'm sick of the ~pure~ and cute.
Old 2008-08-18, 13:41   Link #356
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha View Post
I think Ranka's spine is coming soon. Though I do think she needs an epic song of Do You Remember Love proportions (okay that might be too lofty a goal), or are least a song filled with some out pouring of real emotions should be nice. I'm sick of the ~pure~ and cute.
Hmmm... considering Episode 19, 20, 22 are all named after MacrossF songs. I wonder if the title for 21 is also a part of that trend. If so, whose song it is, and what type of song it might be to fit the theme of Episode 21.

Of course, even if Ranka sings a really sad song (think DC or NC type sad), does she have the vocal ability to actually convey it well?

Oh well, only time will tell.
Old 2008-08-18, 13:49   Link #357
Lostdreams

Dam I'm still very nervous. It's never actually been said that Alto loves Sheryl or has feelings for her. AAAAAAAAAAAAAh I hate this series!!!! Dam you macross!!! I can't sleep at night wondering why the hell Ranka was talking to Alto at the stairs. It might be to tell her he loves Sheryl, but aaaaaaaaaah I must know the truth. I'm really scared that Alto's gonna pick Ranka because that would kill me. I just have a really bad gut feeling. I still can't take this anymore.
Old 2008-08-18, 14:07   Link #358
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
Dam I'm still very nervous. It's never actually been said that Alto loves Sheryl or has feelings for her. AAAAAAAAAAAAAh I hate this series!!!! Dam you macross!!! I can't sleep at night wondering why the hell Ranka was talking to Alto at the stairs. It might be to tell her he loves Sheryl, but aaaaaaaaaah I must know the truth. I'm really scared that Alto's gonna pick Ranka because that would kill me. I just have a really bad gut feeling. I still can't take this anymore.

Take into consideration the fact that Alto's seiyu stated that the ending will be a suprise for everyone. And i can relate to what your going through.
Old 2008-08-18, 14:09   Link #359
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Hmmm... considering Episode 19, 20, 22 are all named after MacrossF songs. I wonder if the title for 21 is also a part of that trend. If so, whose song it is, and what type of song it might be to fit the theme of Episode 21.

Of course, even if Ranka sings a really sad song (think DC or NC type sad), does she have the vocal ability to actually convey it well?

Oh well, only time will tell.
I think the title of 21 is
Spoiler for Title:
Old 2008-08-18, 14:11   Link #360
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Damn what a good episode so the plot is coming together and we can see basically whats going on. So we all were pretty much right about Ranka's little green friends no wonder it liked her so much but if you had been paying attention it was not hard to guess.

The rooftop scene was hard to watch. To see Ranka finally realize her feelings and for Sheryl to show up who already knew her feelings. This is very tough to call I dont see Alto leaning in any one direction i mean Michale had to spell it out for it. Honestly im not sure if we will get a conclusion to the love triangle. Which actually i would not mind but then again i could be wrong i just dont see how Alto could make a choice.

So im thinking that the Vajara will attack just before the sniper is getting ready to fire making his bullet miss the president, at least thats what i see happening. Then the rampage ensues because from the preview Frontier looks like its in ruins.

Ok question for everyone. There have been scenes of valkyeries doing stunts at the end of the credits with colored smoke coming out the tails. Does anyone know what the hell that is? I kept forgetting to ask. From what i can see its the primary members of the Skull squadron but then the Konig Monster pops up out of the clouds.