AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-15, 19:35   Link #2141
Aeshma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
There is a reason why Sheryl's lineage was important, because as the descendant of the Nome bloodline, she came from a clan that possessed the ability to communicate with the Vajra. That is precisely why Grace utilized her as an experiment. Moreover, the earrings were more than just a symbol, they most likely aided the process. If she was just some random poor child, then Grace would have just overlooked her.

- Tak

How painfully weak Sheryl´s connection to the Nome must be in the first place that Grace had to supply her with Vajra microorganisms and Fold Quartz earrings in order to boost whatever little power she could muster. A power that requires Sheryl to be in her death throes to be marginally effective.
Old 2009-06-15, 19:41   Link #2142
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeshma View Post
How painfully weak Sheryl´s connection to the Nome must be in the first place that Grace had to supply her with Vajra microorganisms and Fold Quartz earrings in order to boost whatever little power she could muster. A power that requires Sheryl to be in her death throes to be marginally effective.
I suppose its a generational thing. After all, neither Sara nor Mao ever mentioned their parents' having the same abilities. Moreover, Mao's daughter also does not seem to possess similar abilities as well.

As for Grace, well... she didn't care, obviously.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-06-15, 21:15   Link #2143
justavisitor

I thought bird human isn't Vajra..I thought bird human copies Vajra's tech...so I thought the chaos at the end of the Zero is the copycat destroying the Earth Army..while in Frontier, the thing that Grace sits in is the original and the destruction power would be greater...

And that can explain why Grace chooses Sheryl, because Mao's sister can communicate with the copycat in Zero (Actually I don't think Grace cares at the beginning, but it's rather a last minute touch by the animation staff to make both stories sort of connected)

lol, I may need to rewatch this part to get certain..but that's what my memory tells me right now XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-06-15, 22:57   Link #2144
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
while in Frontier, the thing that Grace sits in is the original and the destruction power would be greater...
Not quite. The one Grace sat in was a tribute built by Protoculture in honor of the Vajra.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-06-16, 01:05   Link #2145
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Send a message via AIM to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via MSN to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via Yahoo to Renaissance Otaku
Quote:
The bird human is a Vajra. If you check the details, the bird human shares the same... for the lack of a better description, birthmark as the rest of the Vajra race.

- Tak
So you're basing that entirely on appearances? Because last I heard the bird human was created by the Protoculture, the Vajra weren't. It could see it being related to them in some way, influenced even, but where are you getting the info that it's outright a Vajra?

Pardon my asking, but where are you getting this info? I know it's been some time since I saw Zero, but you're speaking awfully authoritarian on a subject I remember only vaguely being explained in either show.

Might I also ask what episode/book that Tessa quote comes from. ^_^
Old 2009-06-16, 01:45   Link #2146
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Otaku View Post
So you're basing that entirely on appearances? Because last I heard the bird human was created by the Protoculture, the Vajra weren't. It could see it being related to them in some way, influenced even, but where are you getting the info that it's outright a Vajra?
Not just appearances.

We were provided many clues. First, in the BD edition of Macross Zero, we were introduced with the pair of earrings, which were of course, fold quartz. Now, if you remember, fold quartz can only be produced by the Vajra, no one else. Protoculture cannot indigenously produce fold quartz, for if they could, the series' history would have been rewritten. Second, an Alien ship did indeed crash-landed Earth (ASS-1), but that was the titular ship, the Macross. The Bird Human was an entirely different incident and one kept hidden until the unification war.

Although I won't rule out the possibility that the bird human is a Vajra clone created by Protoculture. On the other hand, it should not matter in the least in regards to Sheryl's character plot.

And no, I don't think I ever said anything about Vajra being created by Protoculture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Otaku View Post
Might I also ask what episode/book that Tessa quote comes from. ^_^
FMP Sigma manga issue 09.

Yes, she literally told her brother to fuck himself, to the amusement of rest of the crew.

Spoiler for Accompanying screenshot:

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2009-06-16 at 02:01.
Old 2009-06-16, 02:12   Link #2147
Snowblind
Professional Lurker

It's my impression that the bird human was Protoculture in origin as well.

Quote:
Not just appearances.

We were provided many clues. First, in the BD edition of Macross Zero, we were introduced with the pair of earrings, which were of course, fold quartz. Now, if you remember, fold quartz can only be produced by the Vajra, no one else. Protoculture cannot indigenously produce fold quartz, for if they could, the series' history would have been rewritten.

Who said they needed to produce it? If humans can harvest it from dead Vajra, there's no reason the Protoculture couldn't do the same.

Also, there's Grace's speech from ep 25 which, according to the gg subs, anyway, says '...The Protoculture feared, adored and defied, to the extent of imitating its form'.

And finally, looking at ep 5 of Zero, the 'head' of the bird human looks more like a protoculture designed 'craft' than anything seen in Frontier.

Also, why would the one Grace was in be built by the Protoculture? What indicates that? Why would it be sitting in the heart of a Vajra homeworld? Especially since the queen in 25 looks a lot more like the juvenile one in ep 14 than the bird human did.

So I'm taking it as protoculture in origin until there's some sort of conclusive evidence (or statement) otherwise.

Oh, hey, lookatthat, first post on the forum. Hey, guys. O.o
Old 2009-06-17, 05:36   Link #2148
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

I still think Sheryl rocks no matter whatever reason Grace chose her. It's not her name that drew my attention, it was her character.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2009-08-09, 23:43   Link #2149
satomianzaki

i just watched this series and i must say, now, i can understand why most people actually liked Sheryl...

she is really one of the most adorable character in the anime world...

her character is well balanced and her development in MF is really nice...she's not only a beauty on the outside but really has a beautiful soul too...

what she had been through as a child and the pains of her falling career was really hard...not to mention suffered an incurable disease...she's really a fighter...never have i watched an anime character so fully developed like her...i really liked how she reacts and handles situations...

so yeah, i now join the bandwagon of sheryl's supporters...

Last edited by satomianzaki; 2009-08-09 at 23:47. Reason: ...
Old 2009-08-10, 00:03   Link #2150
4Tran

Welcome to the club; and glad to have you aboard!

We Macross fans are an old and crusty bunch who are hard to please. So when you see a character like Sheryl win so many of us over, you know that the creators are doing something right!

One of the qualities that I like so much about her character is how her attitudes don't play according to form. Based on her archetype, it's easy to expect her personality to be on the overbearing side. But when we get stuff like her simply having fun, that's the kind of infectious feeling that makes watching anime fun as well. And that's the way it should be.
Old 2009-08-10, 00:03   Link #2151
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satomianzaki View Post

I think bandwagon might be an understatement, it's more like a Battleship of sorts

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-08-10, 00:43   Link #2152
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
i just watched this series and i must say, now, i can understand why most people actually liked Sheryl...

her character is well balanced and her development in MF is really nice...she's not only a beauty on the outside but really has a beautiful soul too...

what she had been through as a child and the pains of her falling career was really hard...not to mention suffered an incurable disease...she's really a fighter...never have i watched an anime character so fully developed like her...i really liked how she reacts and handles situations...

Yeah...Sheryl really is one of the most engrossing anime characters ever, and she has a very compelling story backing her up.

In fact...right I think Minmay is kind of the most identified single character from all of Macross, but in the next ten to twenty years, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheryl became the franchise's most recognized character.
Old 2009-08-10, 05:45   Link #2153
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:

/delurk

Welcome to Sheryl's Fanclub's Night! XD

/relurk
Old 2009-08-10, 06:15   Link #2154
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
In fact...right I think Minmay is kind of the most identified single character from all of Macross, but in the next ten to twenty years, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheryl became the franchise's most recognized character.
Gods willing!
Old 2009-08-10, 07:13   Link #2155
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I think bandwagon might be an understatement, it's more like a Battleship of sorts
SMS SkullFairie at your service!

And for the record, we're more of a carrier. :P
Old 2009-08-10, 07:20   Link #2156
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
SMS SkullFairie at your service!

And for the record, we're more of a carrier. :P
Carrier!? CARRIER?! To address us in singular form?! *Gasp*

No my child, we are not just a carrier. WE ARE A FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLE FLEET!!

We are the faithful servants of her Majesty the Empress! No world shall be beyond our rule! No enemy shall be beyond our wrath!

*chanting music plays in the background*

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2009-08-10 at 07:35.
Old 2009-08-10, 09:27   Link #2157
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:

*Skullfaerie salute*

Welcome aboard!
Yes, Sheryl is awesome~♥
Old 2009-08-10, 11:19   Link #2158
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
*Skullfaerie salute*

Welcome aboard!
Yes, Sheryl is awesome~♥
/delurk

5 min quickshop

/relurk
Old 2009-08-10, 11:25   Link #2159
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
Quote:
Carrier!? CARRIER?! To address us in singular form?! *Gasp*

No my child, we are not just a carrier. WE ARE A FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLE FLEET!!

We are the faithful servants of her Majesty the Empress! No world shall be beyond our rule! No enemy shall be beyond our wrath!

*chanting music plays in the background*

- Tak

*salutes and plays the SMS theme song*
Old 2009-08-10, 12:28   Link #2160
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Slaves of Mistress Sheryl?

Please don't shoot me...

Closed Thread

Tags
characters