AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-26, 18:42   Link #1
Clayton
Antihero

Yuri

Yuri. All romance, no men. Does life get any better?

Unfortunately these series are few and hard to find. Anybody know any good ones? Preferable ones where none of the girls used to be guys?Or where it's not just "implied"?

So far the best one I know of is Strawberry Panic.

Spoiler for Strawberry Panic:

Last edited by xris; 2010-05-27 at 07:18. Reason: Added spoiler tags as the image could be a spoiler to many
Old 2010-05-26, 20:04   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

Strawberry Shake Sweet- although this manga isn't as overtly yuri as Strawberry Panic, the relationship between the two main girls is clearly romantic and there's a hilarious character who seems to have something of a lesbian harem . It's also extremely funny and sweet.
Old 2010-05-26, 23:25   Link #3
Kudryavka

Yaoi. All romance, no ugly guys. Does life get any better? <--my version.

On-topic, Kashimashi? Maria-sama ga Miteiru?
Old 2010-05-27, 01:55   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

If you don't mind some action/mecha with your Yuri, then I'd say try Kannazuki No Miko.

Otherwise Sasameki Koto, though you'll be stuck waiting for the second season, or reading the Manga.

P.S. Shouldn't this be more in the suggestion area .
MAL
Old 2010-05-27, 02:19   Link #5
Seitsuki
Onee!

^ what he said.

You could also try Candy Boy. A manga suggestion: Gokujou Drops. But you really should open your mind to 'implications' as well, sometimes your mind does a much better job. (heh.)
Old 2010-05-27, 03:38   Link #6
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Blahblahblah...
There is Revolutionary Girl Utena and there are the rest of the Yuri
Old 2010-05-27, 04:01   Link #7
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

I recently watched Kanamemo, it has no men involved, its not implied. First episode bam kiss wtf oh they are together lol ... They even have sex. Nice K-On style slice of life moe anime.

I also liked Aoi Hana (the ED song is in my top10 all time), has a bit of angst drama but the ending is so sweet i had to go to the dentist afterwards.

There is also Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, but that one is hard to grasp at first. But some very interesting settings, no episode is like another. Yuri is strong but not enough screentime imo.

Oh yeah, you might wanna give Koihime Musou a try. Huge all-girls cast, yuri subtext everywhere and Ep07 of Season 3 confirms the first couple.

Not entirely without men, but my personal favorite anime with yuri is Mai-Hime. Spawned the most famous yuri couple and these girls kinda hijack the plot... Must watch if you need more yuri.

And i second Kannazuki no Miko, but it has men, too. But probably the best yuri scenes ever. Must watch for yuri fans. Heck i even created a fanclub for the main girl...
Old 2010-05-27, 12:46   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Aoi Hana has males, though for the kind of yuri you're looking for you'll be just fine. Same goes for Sasameki Koto. Also give Candy Boy a go (there's no males in this one).

But yeah the Maria-sama ga Miteiru seasons are what you're looking for. It's not full on yuri like Strawberry Panic, though i think you'll like it.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-05-27 at 12:56.
Old 2010-05-27, 12:55   Link #9
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Someone needs to quote the difference between shoujo ai and yuri for Maria sama ga miteiru...
Old 2010-05-27, 13:41   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Someone needs to quote the difference between shoujo ai and yuri for Maria sama ga miteiru...
I don't really use the term shoujo ai anymore, but it basically means platonic romance between girls. Yuri is all shades of lesbian.
Old 2010-05-27, 14:10   Link #11
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
What about separating yuri from Class S?

In all honestly, the term "shoujo-ai" is becoming somewhat a dead term to use nowadays. It's either yuri or girls' love.
Old 2010-05-27, 15:18   Link #12
Falkor

^totally agree with you.

sono hanabira anime coming very soon... Mai X Reo :3
Old 2010-05-27, 16:11   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I've come to the conclusion that there's no yuri anime worth watching.

Kannazuki no Miko was okay, but random Humongous Mecha was distracting.

Marimite is zzzzz.

Aoi Hana is slightly better but still zzzzz.

Strawberry Panic! is a stealth parody of the yuri romance genre (it's basically a big Take That aimed directly at Marimite's heart), so it's good, but for different reasons.

Someone needs to faithfully animate Hanjuku Joshi with no censorship. Then we'd actually have some yuri worth watching and less of this Class-S bullshit.

Edit: You should watch Simoun, and not just for the yuri. The music is pretty damn epic and the story itself is very solid. I'll amend my previous statement; there is only one yuri anime worth watching.

Edit #2: I'll just come out and say it, if I'm watching yuri, I want to see them have sex. Too bad Hide Your Lesbians is the unwritten rule for most animated work.
Old 2010-05-27, 16:46   Link #14
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
You should watch Simoun, and not just for the yuri. The music is pretty damn epic and the story itself is very solid.
I second this, though then again i believe everyone should watch Simoun, with it easily being one of my favorite shows from the past 10 years.
Old 2010-05-27, 17:02   Link #15
jedinat

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that there's no yuri anime worth watching.

Kannazuki no Miko was okay, but random Humongous Mecha was distracting.

Marimite is zzzzz.

Aoi Hana is slightly better but still zzzzz.

Strawberry Panic! is a stealth parody of the yuri romance genre (it's basically a big Take That aimed directly at Marimite's heart), so it's good, but for different reasons.

Someone needs to faithfully animate Hanjuku Joshi with no censorship. Then we'd actually have some yuri worth watching and less of this Class-S bullshit.

Edit: You should watch Simoun, and not just for the yuri. The music is pretty damn epic and the story itself is very solid. I'll amend my previous statement; there is only one yuri anime worth watching.

Edit #2: I'll just come out and say it, if I'm watching yuri, I want to see them have sex. Too bad Hide Your Lesbians is the unwritten rule for most animated work.
Personally, I'd have to disagree with most of this. Sex is fine, but mostly besides the point. The relationship and characters are what it's all about. Hanjuku Joshi is okay, but have you read Girl Friends, Manga no Tsukurikata, and Strawberry Shake? All are vastly superior choices for a new anime (along with many other more minor manga, ie not many chapters).
Old 2010-05-27, 18:52   Link #16
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Yuri is technically 18+. Shoujo-ai would be the more accessible version.

Aoi Hana, Simoun and Maria-sama ga Miteru are the three shoujo-ai that have been able to do the genre tastefully and make it watchable. But note all three are elegant, somewhat clean, mature series. This is not going to be the type of series for someone who likes their anime as fast and furious.

If you want decent yuri/adult action, Sono Hanabira ni Kuchikuze wo is getting animated soon. Probably an episode each for the three games that were made. The second one with Sara and Kaede was definitely my fave. For anything currently existing, hmm...Tony's Heroine Series (i.e. as in Tony Taka). Mainly heterosexual material but there has been two yuri scenes as well. For decent adult material, something originally done with artwork from Tony Taka, Happobui Jin or Tomose Shunsaku is bound to steer you in the right direction.
Old 2010-05-27, 20:31   Link #17
Falkor

I echo jedinat's words.

I've become very fond of yuri when the relationships are explored on mutual grounds, with tender and very caring feelings. I think that yuri is best when it takes the time to develop this, together with the characters and the story. that's one of the reasons why I like yuri so much.

Quote:
you have shoujo sect for that matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Yuri is technically 18+. Shoujo-ai would be the more accessible version.

Aoi Hana, Simoun and Maria-sama ga Miteru are the three shoujo-ai that have been able to do the genre tastefully and make it watchable. But note all three are elegant, somewhat clean, mature series. This is not going to be the type of series for someone who likes their anime as fast and furious.

If you want decent yuri/adult action, Sono Hanabira ni Kuchikuze wo is getting animated soon. Probably an episode each for the three games that were made. The second one with Sara and Kaede was definitely my fave. For anything currently existing, hmm...Tony's Heroine Series (i.e. as in Tony Taka). Mainly heterosexual material but there has been two yuri scenes as well. For decent adult material, something originally done with artwork from Tony Taka, Happobui Jin or Tomose Shunsaku is bound to steer you in the right direction.
Yuri is NOT technically 18+; the term is meant to indicate any form of girl's love, whether explicit or implicit. it has nothing to do with the content being 18+ or "all-ages"; if the material makes any indication of girl's love, then it's yuri. shoujo-ai is a term coined in the western world that is supposed to translate into girl's love (its more "implicit" form). but it's such a fuzzy and ambiguous definition that in most cases, it doesn't need to be about girl's love to be considered shoujo-ai (close friendships seems to count, too). I don't really used the term; it's ambiguous, and it fails to do its purpose---which is supposedly to create some kind of distinction among girl's love works.
Old 2010-05-27, 20:48   Link #18
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I think it would be naive to think that most people wouldn't think of female-female sex the moment the word 'yuri' is mentioned. Which has always been a hurdle for the genre - most people can't take it seriously due to the stereotypes lesbians cop or that many people only want to see yuri for gratuitious reasons and not affectionate/serious ones. I do like to see serious, affectionate female-female relationships, personally.
Old 2010-05-27, 23:27   Link #19
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
I've become very fond of yuri when the relationships are explored on mutual grounds, with tender and very caring feelings. I think that yuri is best when it takes the time to develop this, together with the characters and the story. that's one of the reasons why I like yuri so much.
QFT!

I don't mind it when they decide to go straight to the action, though.

I would also like to second the suggestion of the GirlFriends manga. Which is my current favorite yuri title.
Old 2010-05-28, 04:31   Link #20
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Well, if you want to see relationship development and don't mind the fact that the characters don't kiss on screen, watch El Cazador de la Bruja. The story is a bit slow at the beginning, but the main characters develop a very strong bond during the series. There are hugs, holding hands, sleeping together, jealousy, confessions and so on.
Closed Thread