AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-07, 19:07   Link #1
LeviathanDarkly
ℳℴℯ❤

Anime fans types

Fans can be divide into 4 groups:
1. people who like shonen and action.
2. peole who like serious or DEEP staff, (which aren't shonen or moe)
3. people who like old shows and/or mecha.
4. people who like moe and/or romance.

Which group do you fit into?
(if you feel you don't fit to any of the groups, please explain)

Last edited by LeviathanDarkly; 2009-04-07 at 23:25.
Old 2009-04-07, 19:17   Link #2
LeoXiao
思想工作

I like deep anime, and having the people be drawn at least somewhat realistically is something I really care about when it comes to what I watch, though are exceptions. I don't like anime that is full of "typical" anime characteristics (when I say full I mean full), like all female characters fitting into the various "dere" groups and having really annoying childish/nasal voices, or guys always being either super shy or macho and stupid.

So I guess I go into the 2nd categorization, but what does "wetern" mean? if you mean "western" then I'm not sure that deep animes are usually "western" styled. In it's beacuse they are not western that I like them. If I only liked western-style stuff I would read more american/european novels.
Old 2009-04-07, 19:52   Link #3
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviathanDarkly View Post
2. those who like DEEP and wetern-like staff
I laugh at this, because it says three things to me: one, shounen anime can never be deep; two, western animation is deep; and three, moe anime can never be deep.

I fit into 1, 2, and 4. I don't understand what you're trying to say with 3 [It sounds like you're saying 3 is the 1+2 option for old people or something.], so I can't pick that. Chances are, though, that I fit in group 3 as well.
By the way, you're missing shoujo [Well, that isn't the only thing you're missing]. I can understand if you put seinen with 2, but....

The problem with dividing fans by genre is that a lot of people are interested in multiple genres.
Old 2009-04-07, 19:56   Link #4
denice25

Great list....
Old 2009-04-07, 20:14   Link #5
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Those are some pretty odd groupings, and it fails to describe much of the anime fan base, by one group alone. For the second group, 'deep' and 'western' don't really go hand in hand, so I'm not sure where you got the idea that such a fan group should be used to catagorize the anime fans. For the third one, its a bit hard to understand but I'm assuming you are talking about old time anime watchers (80s, etc), but then again, many of those people watch current anime as well. For the last one, I think you have the wrong idea about otakus. Otaku's don't necessarily have to like moe girls (though that happens to be the case most of the time than not), and anime fans of other group can/do like moe girls, sometimes excessively, and such people don't have to be considered an otaku. Though I don't really have the right to correct you (except that you have the wrong impression), as I don't fully understand when you are an otakus myself. Also, people's view on otakus aren't exactly conformed, either

Anyhow, I guess I'm a bit of part of each. Though I don't watch shounen anime, I certainly do read their manga counterpart. Also, I fully enjoy and seek out 'deep' anime that may be regarding contemporary issues, philosophical ideals, or just heavy/dark plot in general, though most of them aren't really western. But since the world is in the process of being westernized more and more, its a bit hard to pinpoint what's western. If I understood your meaning correctly, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Baccano! may be examples of what you meant. Also, having been born/raised in Korea, I had to chance to watch many old anime series in TV, dubbed in korean, such as Galaxy Express 999. And of course, I'm also into moe girls and tsundere girls, and, in my definition, I am indeed an otaku.

Last edited by Nochgo; 2009-04-07 at 21:20.
Old 2009-04-07, 21:09   Link #6
animeboy12

there are certainly more anime fan grouping than that.

Anyway I can't really say I fit in an anime fan group, sometimes I wanna have some fun with Girls bravo or Kanokon, other times I want something serious like black lagoon or baccano, and every once in a while I want something to analyze like Paranoia Agent
Old 2009-04-07, 22:53   Link #7
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I laugh at this, because it says three things to me: one, shounen anime can never be deep; two, western animation is deep; and three, moe anime can never be deep.
I thought the opening post sounded strange..

Its almost as if it is suggesting that there are only a few genres in animes and that only cartoons are deep, whereas anime isn't. Is this a troll?
Old 2009-04-07, 23:02   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Missing too many categories to be much of a poll. Shoujo? Seinen?

What is this "common shounen fan" o.O Does anyone *actually* drop themselves into only one of those narrow categories?
What does "old fan" mean and why are they only made up of the first two groups?

Only otakus like moe? Okay, I'm not sensing the OP even understands what either of those terms mean.

I'm thinking like Shadow Minato, this sounds a bit like preconceived bias push poll to get a desired result.... if the OP is sincere, they should backup and create a much more carefully worded full-spectrum of categories.
Old 2009-04-07, 23:04   Link #9
LeviathanDarkly
ℳℴℯ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
NO NO NO. That's absolutely not what I intended. I meant to the kind of show that doesn't fit into the shonen or moe shows.
I kind of parodying people who like LOLDEEP staff. They usually say they're better then people who like shonen or moe. (see ANN)

I myself love ℳℴℯ❤, so I know many moe shows can be deep (in the good way).

Quote:
Missing too many categories to be much of a poll. Shoujo? Seinen?

What is this "common shounen fan" o.O Does anyone *actually* drop themselves into only one of those narrow categories?

Only otakus like moe? Okay, I'm not sensing the OP even understands what either of those terms mean
Don't look down on me
But yeah I was kind of generalizing.
Old 2009-04-07, 23:19   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ahhhhhhh, maybe if you go back and edit the categories to clarify it would help. You have to admit from the responses people are wondering what your intent was....
Old 2009-04-07, 23:26   Link #11
LeviathanDarkly
ℳℴℯ❤

^Good enough?
Old 2009-04-07, 23:34   Link #12
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I like all four kinds...
Old 2009-04-07, 23:38   Link #13
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

lol, this is certainly a bit more general and sensible, but then again, many people are fans of some combination of the 4 divisions you listed, thus defeating your first statement. Funny that you grouped old and mecha, and moe and romance. Both don't really have much to do with each other, expect for the fact that there are old mecha animes. K-On! and Lucky Star is key examples of moe without romance. Why don't you rather seperate them into each separate catagories? But I guess you wanted 4 divisions. Ah well, whatever.
Old 2009-04-08, 00:40   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, its much better (though you're still going to get picked to death; even categorizing likes and dislikes tend to be a polarizing subject).

I tend to like 2 and 4 the most.
.... there are some classic item 3 series I appreciate but it depends on what we're calling "old" (1990s? 1980s? 1960s?)
?? Astroboy, Maison Ikkoku, Speed Racer?... or are we talking Love Hina period (early 2000s).

Item 1 (action/shounen) is my least favorite though there are some titles on my hit parade there too (Soul Eater, TTGL, Rideback, etc)

And a lot of titles I like are actually crossovers --- they fit in more than one category. That's often a reason that will attract me since it doesn't follow a simplistic formula so much.
Old 2009-04-08, 01:04   Link #15
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

I guess I fit into category 2

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Old 2009-04-08, 01:18   Link #16
FateAnomaly

I like 1, 3 and 4 mostly. I am not exactly sure what are the serious and DEEP stuff but i think the real world will provide most of it.
Old 2009-04-08, 01:42   Link #17
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

Hmm... I don't think fans will fit neatly into those boxes. You're bound to have arms and legs sticking out everywhere.

My preference is for Comedy and Horror/Suspense. You'll find any number of cute funny anime in my collection, yet also find dark and brutal anime right along side them. Similarly you'll find American Pie and The Life of Brian among Dawn of the Dead and Hostel in my non-anime collection.

Yet even if you made a box for me that was half Comedy and half Horror, you'd still find me dipping hands and feet in everyone else's boxes. I like some deep stuff, some classic stuff, and some action stuff: it's all a matter of quality and taste.

If an anime good enough, I could care less about the genre.
Old 2009-04-08, 02:35   Link #18
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
All 4 for me... i guess
Old 2009-04-08, 03:03   Link #19
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
where is the yaoi/shounen ai group lol D:
there are a lot more groups that are not based on the genre, I know tons of people who watch only the most popular shows so that is a group as well the mainstream anime group

as for me I fit a combo of 1,2,3 and of course the yaoi/shounen ai section
if it is yaoi-ish then I'll certainly watch it, shounen only if I like the plot and characters, mecha if the designs are not too dull and deep only if the quality and story is any good
Old 2009-04-08, 03:28   Link #20
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviathanDarkly View Post
Fans can be divide into 4 groups:
1. people who like shonen and action.
2. peole who like serious or DEEP staff, (which aren't shonen or moe)
3. people who like old shows and/or mecha.
4. people who like moe and/or romance.

Which group do you fit into?
(if you feel you don't fit to any of the groups, please explain)
Why does it really matter what sort of fan you are? You like what you like, using this as a topic is rather meaningless since all you are going is encouraging one-line replies and no real discussion (beyond the "why isn't this genre / group / type included".

And then there are the choices given in the opening post, somewhat limited to say the least (as well as being way off-target). There are almost as many "types" of anime fans as there are anime fans. Different people like diffirent things.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread