AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-27, 17:55   Link #701
geki~
noLife
*Artist

I'm thinking how to phrase I what I want to say.~

The animes that are made after hgames (I've watched a lot since my friends have been recommending but I always find myself disappointed after finishing them because they are just too much alike.) Have all this specific aura around them. First there's, of course a guy, and one after another he starts meeting girls more or less gathering them around him and finally getting lost in his feelings because all the girls end up falling for the guy. The fragile story the animes have, starts to develop in the last few episodes, until then it's how to say, the part in the game where the guy has to win the girls to his side. Various events happen that strengthen the bond between the guy and one character than between the guy and another character. The final story part is then when it concentrates on one specific character, his and her,almost every time tragic, past. This might sound interesting and touching if you watch one, maybe two shows of this genre but after the third show, you can already see how it's going to develop and even end. I'm not saying everything matches 100% in these animes but these kinds of shows won't really burn themselves into your memory. If you've watched really many of this genre, after many many years you will start to mix them up, whereas something like Furi Kuri or xxxHolic you will always remember. This could be pretty much taken like the comparison between literature that is and stays and soap that is forgotten the day after. Yes it's entertainment but I would categorize anime as worth my time and I can miss it and sadly, the particular game genre would be in the last group. My point is that all the game based animes have the same basis and yes KGNE's ''I liked the girl but she's not here so it's okay to fall in love with someone else but when she's back I will still choose her over the other one and break her heart" is repeated over and over again in the way ''I met a girl and fell in love but she's not here so I developed a close relationship with another girl but hey she's back and I'll take my first love once again leaving the one beside me broken hearted~"

Okay that turned out a bit messy since it's 2 am and all =P~
I also noticed that I have pretty much changed my attitude towards the animes I watch. I used to think like most anime watchers think and finding most of what I watched masterpieces But after reaching the 160 seen animes border it has kinda made me more picky. And yeah I think I'm turning into one of these typical Estonian anime fans. We're veeeeery cynical when it comes to certain genres tehehee~
Old 2007-07-27, 22:56   Link #702
eurhteranienains
nothing here

worst is FLCL
Old 2007-07-28, 05:11   Link #703
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geki~ View Post
I'm thinking how to phrase I what I want to say.~

The animes that are made after hgames (I've watched a lot since my friends have been recommending but I always find myself disappointed after finishing them because they are just too much alike.) Have all this specific aura around them. First there's, of course a guy, and one after another he starts meeting girls more or less gathering them around him and finally getting lost in his feelings becauseall the girls end up falling for the guy. The fragile story the animes have, starts to develop in the last few episodes, until then it's how to say, the part in the game where the guy has to win the girls to his side.
The genre is called romance, so it is bound to be about character feelings and how those develop. I don't see how that Applies to Air though, as there was barely any romance at all, if any. Meaning there was no pondering over the feelings and such. (There is romance in Air Movie, but since there are no side characters there is no "multiple girl" aspect either). Yuuichi in Kanon was never mixed up with his feelings either. Nor do i find the two to have weak story by any means. I am getting the feeling you simply dislike romance ... why watch it then ?

Quote:
Various events happen that strengthen the bond between the guy and one character than between the guy and another character. The final story part is then when it concentrates on one specific character, his and her,almost every time tragic, past. This might sound interesting and touching if you watch one, maybe two shows of this genre but after the third show, you can already see how it's going to develop and even end.
Thats called character interactions and development. You can not have a story without them. I have watched more than my share of these shows, but much more often than not i find them satisfying to very good. Most of the time these animes are all about characters and character interactions, so there is little wonder you get a fair share of that. Tragic past at least is a past worth talking about - it isn't needed, but is a good way to add character depth and help explain the motivations. Aside from the fact that a tragic past for the male lead is not very common.

You make it sound like this 'problem' is tied to this genre only. What is original then? Originality as a concept has been long since gone, as it is almost impossible to come up with an idea that hasn't been touched up before in some way. (Sola comes close from recent animes that introduced quite some twists and turns in the story). The presentation is what counts. "Many girls popping up around the guy for no reason" is just a setting that is not worth complaining about, just like with action where some teenager manages to get some sort of powers in some dumb way or manages to get in to a giant mecha in some way and turns out to be an expert in piloting it.

Quote:
My point is that all the game based animes have the same basis
Almost every anime of same genre has same basis - that is unavoidable. Heck, thats what being a specific genre means - you know what to expect to a degree My firm belief is that the presentation and how the show handles the plot is what counts, not the 'originality' of said plot.

Quote:
I also noticed that I have pretty much changed my attitude towards the animes I watch. I used to think like most anime watchers think and finding most of what I watched masterpieces But after reaching the 160 seen animes border it has kinda made me more picky. And yeah I think I'm turning into one of these typical Estonian anime fans. We're veeeeery cynical when it comes to certain genres tehehee~
I can be quite picky about what i watch, and can be quite the critic if i want to be. However, from all the shows i dropped game conversions would be the smallest part by far. I watch every genre there is (minus shoujo-ai/shounen-ai), going from slow paced slice of life to fast paced action and SciFi, but there is nothing that would indicate "game conversions being worse than any other genre" ...if anything it would be the opposite, going by the shows i have dropped. My suggestion would be to simply stay away from romance if that is not what you like ... other than that we will have to agree to disagree it seems.
Old 2007-07-28, 16:03   Link #704
geki~
noLife
*Artist

I have no problem with romance. I have a problem with cheesy, overused, soap kind of romance. The games should stay games, they are good that way, the animes are in my opinion overrated.~
Old 2007-08-01, 06:10   Link #705
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

One Piece
Bobobobobobobobo---whatever. You get it.
Love Hina
Inuyasha
Dragon Ball Z after the Cell Saga (movies are okay)
Dragon Ball GT
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Marmalade Boy
FLCL (used to like it, then realized it was crap)

And A LOT more that I haven't mentioned. Unfortunately a lot of anime are coming a dime a dozen as far as quality is concerned nowadays...
Old 2007-08-01, 09:39   Link #706
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I'm curious to Geki, what anime with Romance as its main genre have you ever liked? Looking at your list, you pretty much shot every romance show that's IMO not cheesy, overused, soapy romance. If you name one, I'll be impressed. If you name three, I can fully accept your criticism of the shows of the genre. But right now, it just seems like you're another one of those people who just doesn't 'get' romance shows. Which is ok, since of course, tastes differ.

On-topic
Probably the anime I ever wanted to throw as a frisbee would be Sister Princess, which I watched on a recommendation. God, I wanted to throw it so hard out my window, even despite it being MY FRIENDS DVD. *shhh* What he doesn't know won't hurt him... :P

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-08-01, 09:58   Link #707
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Quote:
(Note that the games are 99.9% story and 0.1% "H scenes")
Well, Skyfall, that is true, except for KGNE. I would compare that to something like school days, w! of course it is also packed with story routes and interaction also. But I am not admitting that I have played those games
but I will admit that I have Air among many others on dreamcast releases.

is Green Green TV really that bad? it was 15$ in the store for the whole series. I was thinking about buying it just to collect.
Old 2007-08-01, 10:07   Link #708
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I gotta admit, I was disappointed with Green Green. The premise was highly interesting
Spoiler:
, but I found the execution to be less than desired. I guess crappy art, too much fanservice, and too little character development? I dunno, it's been forever since I saw it last.

Although @15 bucks for the whole series, I'd take it in a heartbeat since I'm a collector. It's worth about that much IMO, since I was close to tears in the ending.

Old 2007-08-01, 11:40   Link #709
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Inuyasha-this show is so repetitive all they do is walk and they either see a demon that is causing trouble or person that is trouble and they do something about the problem and the episode ends and next episode same thing over and over. Maybe be once in a while they might actually show the real story but 90% of the show has nothing to do with actual story. Inuyasha is like pokemon with more violence.
Old 2007-08-01, 12:19   Link #710
geki~
noLife
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I'm curious to Geki, what anime with Romance as its main genre have you ever liked? Looking at your list, you pretty much shot every romance show that's IMO not cheesy, overused, soapy romance. If you name one, I'll be impressed. If you name three, I can fully accept your criticism of the shows of the genre. But right now, it just seems like you're another one of those people who just doesn't 'get' romance shows. Which is ok, since of course, tastes differ.

On-topic
Probably the anime I ever wanted to throw as a frisbee would be Sister Princess, which I watched on a recommendation. God, I wanted to throw it so hard out my window, even despite it being MY FRIENDS DVD. *shhh* What he doesn't know won't hurt him... :P

I'll gladly point out some romance genre categorized animes that I REALLY loved:
Aishiteruze Baby
Onegai Teacher
AA! Megami-sama
Pita Ten (Yes it is considered romance as well)
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Midori No Hibi (That one was really funny:P)
Paradise Kiss
Karin
Tsukuyomi Moon Phase
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru
Romeo and Juliet
Nana
In addition to that. I myself am a very romantic person. I have written fanfics based on pure romance etc~
Old 2007-08-02, 00:27   Link #711
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Ah, I see. You're into shoujo-esque romance, which all makes sense now. Though a lot of what you listed I presonally consider to be 'cheesy, overused, soapy' romance, I respect your opinion.

Old 2007-08-02, 07:28   Link #712
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Send a message via AIM to Meiaminkbell
I think the more cheesy, the more romantic.

But I like romance in any form, I'm not a picky person.
Old 2007-08-02, 09:49   Link #713
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
is Green Green TV really that bad? it was 15$ in the store for the whole series. I was thinking about buying it just to collect.
I kinda liked that one Sure, it is an ecchi fest, but it is damn right funny. This anime managed to crack me up quite a bit, hence i like it for the entertainment it provided Though i guess you might not like it, depending on your tastes.
Old 2007-08-02, 12:26   Link #714
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiaminkbell View Post
I think the more cheesy, the more romantic.

But I like romance in any form, I'm not a picky person.
I second that!

And I may just have to go look into Green Green now. It IS cheap enough that if it turns out to be a bad purchase, it doesn't affect me much.
Old 2007-08-02, 15:05   Link #715
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Send a message via AIM to Meiaminkbell
I like a little bit of pervy so I definently want to try it out.
Old 2007-08-02, 15:15   Link #716
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

@geki~ Aww, you didn't like Onegai Teacher? But that's one of my favorites. I now like Pochy chocolates thanks to that show. ANd You didn't like AMG either? You will be taken out back and shot... repeatedly.

And you think Green Green is an ecchi fest? Im currently watching Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite, and now THAT'S a real ecchi-fest. Not to mention a complete harem-anime. How many guys have have HUNDREDS of cute girls waiting on them hand and foot... and three girls as, well.... um, er.... sleeping companions? No wonder Taro doesn't get any sleep. I swear, it's like 10-years-added-to-the-main-character away from a hentai.
Old 2007-08-02, 15:26   Link #717
geki~
noLife
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
@geki~ Aww, you didn't like Onegai Teacher? But that's one of my favorites. I now like Pochy chocolates thanks to that show. ANd You didn't like AMG either? You will be taken out back and shot... repeatedly.

And you think Green Green is an ecchi fest? Im currently watching Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite, and now THAT'S a real ecchi-fest. Not to mention a complete harem-anime. How many guys have have HUNDREDS of cute girls waiting on them hand and foot... and three girls as, well.... um, er.... sleeping companions? No wonder Taro doesn't get any sleep. I swear, it's like 10-years-added-to-the-main-character away from a hentai.
You misread my post :P

''I'll gladly point out some romance genre categorized animes that I REALLY loved:''

tehehee~
Old 2007-08-02, 15:33   Link #718
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiaminkbell View Post
I like a little bit of pervy so I definently want to try it out.
take out little and add a lot and i should mention that some green green scenes are totally off the fall for straight males to watch (females might enjoy it though )

i think i had a list way back...but off the top off my head ill add:

naruto (and i cant believe i used to like it ~ totally overrated ¬_¬)

Kamichama Karin ~ bug eyes and boring plot...*kills* (not that i didnt give it a chance...8 eps of ZZzzZZZz)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-08-02, 15:57   Link #719
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geki~ View Post
You misread my post :P

''I'll gladly point out some romance genre categorized animes that I REALLY loved:''

tehehee~
Yes, yes I did. I apologize. I'll pay more attention next time...
Old 2007-08-12, 22:49   Link #720
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Just saw first episode of Lucky Star it was boring, I don't get why people liked it. It was like high school anime version of Seinfeld expect Seinfeld was funny and Lucky Star wasn't. I don't like the intro it annoyed me, and the character were boring.