AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2008-08-30, 05:47   Link #361
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

OP isn't just about Luffy and comparing characters is no way to compare manga. That's what charfans do the elongate their e-dicks.

Eitherway this is FT. It's fun and all and i'll read it to the end, but if anyone starts to compare i'll always pick OP as the overall better.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 06:41   Link #362
TrueKnight

After re-reading ch 100, I just realized that finally Erza got her tears back for both eyes judging from the last page and not just her left anymore. Again kudos for Natsu.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 09:07   Link #363
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

yeah it is somthing inthe nakamahood that can make thing impossible possible ehhehehe
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 10:42   Link #364
sumowow

Well to put it this way. Nobody can name a series and call it "the best" for everyone else, because as always their decision is based on THIER opinion. Just like if i say OP is the best manga out there, sure you can agree with me but it doesn't change the fact that its an opinion.

All-in-all i think both FT and OP are quite possibly one of the best mangas out there, each of them by the end of the series will probably have reached an amazing amount of fans, but i still think OP is my favorite and is the better one.
sumowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 11:08   Link #365
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumowow View Post
All-in-all i think both FT and OP are quite possibly one of the best mangas out there, each of them by the end of the series will probably have reached an amazing amount of fans, but i still think OP is my favorite and is the better one.
Heh, maybe for now it is. But I'm glad that Fairy Tail won't have to reach 500 chapters for that to be true.

And Ezra would pwn the Lucky's lil Crew solo.
Old 2008-08-30, 11:15   Link #366
sumowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Heh, maybe for now it is. But I'm glad that Fairy Tail won't have to reach 500 chapters for that to be true.
The only reason OP is taking so long is because of the god awfully long arcs per bad guy. Then again, its also an adventure manga that makes the crew travel around the entire grand line which is pretty much the whole world to them.
Old 2008-08-30, 12:49   Link #367
ellifeedn
Thinker

^Actually the reason why OP is so long is because fans love it. Oda originally planned for the series to last for, what, 5 years or so (which is about 250 chapters or 25 volumes) and had the ending all planned out. Because it was so popular, he stretched it out with more characters, baddies, plot, and even filler*cough*DaveyBackFight*cough*. I think it will now end up with 1000 chapters, but who knows.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 13:38   Link #368
Ultenth

LOLDAVEYBACKFIGHT

I watched the first ep in the anime then skipped to the next arc.

But yeah, it's too bad because OP looks like it has some pretty cool potential as far as the final story and where they are going to take it, but we have seen very little movement in the main storyline for a while, so it's starting to kinda drag now. Hopefully FT doesn't got the same route, but we'll have to wait and see.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 13:51   Link #369
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

The thing I like about OP anime is that even though there are so many fillers and deviations from the main plot(which is vague..Luffy and co vs WG), i'll ignore it for a while, then see 20 eps piled up and rip through them.

..uh what was my point again? XD
cloak_and_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 20:32   Link #370
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
^Actually the reason why OP is so long is because fans love it. Oda originally planned for the series to last for, what, 5 years or so (which is about 250 chapters or 25 volumes) and had the ending all planned out. Because it was so popular, he stretched it out with more characters, baddies, plot, and even filler*cough*DaveyBackFight*cough*. I think it will now end up with 1000 chapters, but who knows.
The anime since entering the Gecko Moria arc has dragged on a bit too much. I don't like it when they do those pan outs and camera shots where it just kind of moves around. That's not quality. But like, stuff like animating how Luffy fought the Lightning Logia guy was pretty neat, something I don't think the manga could ever do.

But yeah, making money is what makes the world go round, so it's understandable. Even something as polished as Code Geass could have been done better if didn't screw it over with the time slot.
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 22:05   Link #371
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
um... question

I thought this was the Fairy Tale thread, not the One Piece thread... I believe that thread is in a different section

so... my question is, when do you think the arc that covers all the questions, specifically all the disappearances, will occur? Will we have another arc or two before that? I'm guessing we'll at least have one arc before, seems those seem like stuff that will be answered near the end of the manga, and I'm in no hurry to see this end

... and do I remember correctly that Lucy's mother died at least in the same year as the dragons disappeared, and possibly around the same date? I don't know about you guys, but I don't believe in coincidences like that

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 22:34   Link #372
MooMooFarm

T_T if you speculate now, it's pretty much impossible to say for sure. Right now, you pretty much reached the end of a level, and mario hasn't even gone through the check point yet. How you can possibly guess what comes next based on nothing is beyond me. It's when hints and such after an arc ends that you get somewhere.

And yeah sorry for the detour, but it's just comparison. FT is only 100 chapters long, so there's not much to say. By drawing on a similar manga, you can look back at FT with much more fervor and interest. I highly doubt anyone can stay super interested in any series if they never made any comparisons to other shows or mangas etc.
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 22:56   Link #373
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
... and do I remember correctly that Lucy's mother died at least in the same year as the dragons disappeared, and possibly around the same date? I don't know about you guys, but I don't believe in coincidences like that
yea, I already raised that question. Makes me think its gonna involve Natsu and Lucy alot more later on.

but all we can do for moment is guess whats to come.
Hopefully next arc sheds some light on Natsu past, which I think is whats gonna happen.
Old 2008-08-30, 23:29   Link #374
sumowow

Okay, so we've seen Erza and gray's past. And we know some of Lucy's as well, hopefully natsu will be the next one. Then again, the way this manga is going it could take a while.
Old 2008-08-30, 23:52   Link #375
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
I'm replying to your own statement. 1/4th the bad guys in a series being interesting and cool is far better than FT's rate of cool bad guys. Like I said, the only bad guys remotely interesting that you can go "hey I feel this guy is truly FT" is like, Iron Dragon.
Ok, so OP is over 5x longer then FT so has a slightly larger amount of reasonably interesting bad guys.

What bad guys are interesting or not completely depend on the reader.

Quote:
Err, maybe? I honestly just remembered her the moment you mentioned her. Like I said, there are a lot of UNFAIR factions, like how OP is long and how it has an anime. However, it's just like comparing Linux to Windows, even though it's UNFAIR to judge Linux as a failure to the corporate titan, it's STILL a failure when you just plain compare.
In all honesty, I have read OP for a long time; and I don't remember many of the earlier bad guys at all, even some of the more recent ones are already a blur, and I have a pretty damn good memory.

Memorable bad guys is completely in the eye of the beholder. I can remember every FT villian at the moment, but 400+ Chapters from now who knows?

I find several of the FT villians quite interesting, and the same goes for some OP bad guys, but that doesn't mean that every villian has to stick to your memory like gum on your shoe does.

A more suitable comparison then Windows to Linux would be FF7 to Xenogears; Xenogears; despite its rushed second disk, was a far more interesting game then FF7, but FF7 is considered a bigger success.

WoW vs any newer MMO would be the same way; the new MMO could be better gameplay and mechanics wise, but none of them will ever match WoW's success. (A fact I despise)

More successful does not = better in every way, especially when one franchise has been established for years, and the other is relatively new.

Quote:
As for OP spending lots of time on the bad guys, that's because the guy cares. Do you know how fake wrestling works? It's pretty amazing, cause as CRAPPY and STUPID as it is, they still manage to rake in more dough than most of these anime series people that work on them. Wanna know the connection? They both create STORIES. Weekly stories. And they build up their bad guys like crazy, though in varying qualities. I don't mind a bad guy that I won't see after a chapter, but I don't want 90% of my bad guys (WITH NAMES) to fall off the face of the earth before the arc even ends.
I personally never really bonded with any of the OP villians at all, I just found some of their powers entertaining and that was basically it. The fact Natsu's Iron Dragon counterpart sticks so well in my memory is because I actually cared, I can't recall a single OP villian that interests me that much. (Unless we count Robin for the time she was a villian)

Quote:
And that's where it's sad =/ cause then it's just a cheap video game story. I highly doubt even the enemies in series like Gantz and Vagabond where they can display more action and gore can entice your memory over a long period of time if they are just glorified cannon fodder.
For the record, Vagabond is a great manga; and Gantz has its mood swings on occasions.

Longer lasting villian doesn't equal good villian either, in Gantz the first time they had a big bad last a significant amount of time; the fans were clawing their eyes out that the Nuri wouldn't freaking die, despite the fact he brought up a lot of interesting questions just before his defeat.

Quote:
Those aren't good examples. Let me simplify each example in their category.

Gray arc: PAST COMES BACK TO HAUNT ME. BEING THE "COOL SASUKE KID" THAT I AM, I MUST GO ALONE AND BE A JERK INITIALLY WHEN NARUTSU COMES HELP, BUT I ULTIMATELY ACCEPT IT.
Umm, don't get me started on how blood-tear painfully boring some OP arcs were, even if they did develop backstory. The only OP backstory arc I liked at all was Robins.

Btw, your post seems to be filled with a lot of aggression towards FT for some reason.

Quote:
Lluvia vs Lucy CHAPTERS not ARC: A MINI-SEGMENT that was FORCED due to someone's ABILITY therefore just giving the mangaka a cheap way to give rise to Lluvia's self issues. You want an analogy? It's like some kid crying over how he sucks at math just because NOW all of a sudden there's a math contest for his favorite bike. It's not even him FAILING math or anything, it's just something RANDOM came up and he just HAD the problem anyway. It wasn't going to KILL her if this didn't happen.
A small segement is still character development, and you missed the entire point of why I brought it up; you asked for character development, and in 1-2 chapters of FT I got more character development then 4-6 chapters of OP, and for a non-major character. (At least at the moment)

Quote:
Erza and Gerard: They were never in the same faction. This is like saying Jiraiya vs Orochimaru = INNER CONFLICT. Ummm NO? You are talking about the main baddie for like HALF of naruto. What about Gerard? Oh wait the main baddie for ALL OF FT SO FAR.
No, the main baddie of all of FT so far would be Zeref. (As I brought up; he has been involved in 3 of the 4 major arcs so far)
Gerard was a villian who was planted early on to develop Erza, not be the main bad guy of the entire story.

Quote:
Inner conflict doesn't have to be full of hate, full of teenage angst, and most importantly, generally is just a big fat excuse to see KEY WORD HERE "UNRESTRAINED" action between characters of the same faction. Ever wonder, GEE WHO'D WIN IRON MAN OR SPIDER MAN? BATMAN OR SUPERMAN? This is inner conflict. It doesn't HAVE to get ugly, but it can. It's all about the ego. That's what makes it SHONEN.
No, that is needless speculation, not inner conflict. A better comparison would have been Sasuke vs Naruto; which is just as much full of hate, teenage angst, etc.
If you want "Inner" conflict as in Fairy Tail members fighting each other, I'm pretty sure the Master's grandson will bring that about soon enough.
Shonen isn't just about ego; a shonen without development is a bad shonen.

Quote:
Umm, it doesn't matter. He IS the big cheese UP to that arc. Is Orochimaru the big cheese now? No. But WAS HE A BIG CHEESE? Yes. Hell CROCODILE was a big cheese for all I care, because he was like BIG compared to everything Luffy faced.
Yes, it does matter. The big cheese for a SINGLE ARC is different then the big cheese for an ENTIRE STORY. I don't ever know why we are talking about Naruto; Orochimaru should be dead by now, but instead they drag his worthless lifespan out for no real reason at all. Crocodile is technically a big cheese because he is (was) a member of OP's "BIG BAD" squad.

Quote:
What makes up a big cheese? It's when you first get to see a guy in a league of his own and while there might be peers that rival him or even greater players, as long as he is at that point the only person shown to the viewers, HE IS THE BIG CHEESE. I mean, do you go SEPHIROTH IS NOT THE BIG CHEESE, CLEARLY IT WAS JENNOVA OR WHATS HIS FACE. Uhhh NO? Sephy IS THE BIG CHEESE for pretty much MOST of FF7. In fact, even Don Krieg could be the big cheese, because he was the best there was in East Blue. He'd stomp any baddie like Buggy or that Fat chick or the Claw guy.
Sephiroth was the big Cheese of FF7; Jenova was just a tool to move his story along.

I never considered Don Krieg a big bad either; he was introduced as a guy whose entire pirate fleet just got wasted by a single guy; THAT single guy is a big bad.

Don Krieg is much like how I see Jerard for this arc; an arc villian; not a big bad; there is a difference.

Quote:
Just remember, as much foreshadowing you can do, you still have to make your current arcs interesting. FT's best arc so far definitely was versus the other guild, as it gave us a perspective of how GUILDS work in action (otherwise there's no point in even having a guild system in the story). The rest were just run of the mill "OH HEY LETS GO ON AN ADVENTURE" and something always slightly is connected. You can even think of it this way, if FT story was turned into a game, how fun would each arc be? How fun would you have fighting against the bosses and their weird moves? While OP certainly isn't a lot better than FT for an AVERAGE (HERE'S WHERE I TELL YOU ALL I'M NOT HATING ON FT >.>), over the long ass course of it, he's shown some good fights. FT NEEDS those, since it still has weaknesses that OP cover (LIKE HOW LUFFY IS INFINITELY COOLER THAN NATSU T_T DESPITE BEING INFINITELY STUPIDIER IN CONCEPT THOUGH IF YOU WANNA GET INTO THAT PLZ INQUIRE IT'LL TAKE ANOTHER SPAM POST T_T)
First; ease up on the caps.

Second;
Quote:
"OH HEY LETS GO ON AN ADVENTURE"
basically defines most of the arcs in OP.

Third; Natsu is way cooler then Luffy; Luffy on occasions has moments were I go "hey, that was cool."

Natsu entertains me almost every fight he gets in.

The latest example is most certainly when Natsu mentions "Fairy Tail wizards specialize in property damage."
You can go back a few pages and see how everyone here absolutely loves Natsu for that statment alone.

I know people who have outright refused to read OP due to how much they hate Luffy's character design. (Although I don't hate Luffy myself)

-------------------------------------

As for how FT reminds you of OP, as a reader of Rave Master I immediatly connected Fairy Tail to Rave Master over OP, even before I realized that it was done by the same guy.

They of course have simliar styles, but OP's author definetly has a more bizarre character design. (it works though)

Last edited by Fenrir_valindri; 2008-08-31 at 00:04.
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 03:31   Link #376
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

after reading your post guys i can say

ehem excuse me but this is not a OP thread well pls try no turn the forums around and frce the TS to rename this thread
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 09:04   Link #377
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I was just making a point, I prefer talking about FT by far.

--------

I probably said it before, but this last chapter was definetly one of the most touching chapters so far in any manga I have read.

Erza's childhood and how she got her eye fixed. Her vision of a dark future where she had died, and the realization that the future she created left so much pain for her friends.

Then finally we see her awaken and finally understand her friends couldn't stand to lose her the same way she couldn't stand to lose them.

It was all very touching. (sniff)

p.s. Not to mention Erza is really hot not only in her "dream-world" dress, but also extremely hot in that "post-battle" armorless "clothing."
Old 2008-08-31, 09:36   Link #378
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

To me the last 3 chapters were the first 3 memorable chapters in FT for me. First Natsu finally got to kick ass followed by an actually good cliffhanger.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!

Last edited by Majek; 2008-08-31 at 10:00.
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 10:40   Link #379
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
p.s. Not to mention Erza is really hot not only in her "dream-world" dress, but also extremely hot in that "post-battle" armorless "clothing."
I hate to sound shallow, but the first thing i said when i saw the spread of natsu holding her was "Dang she looks so hot!!" Then, "oh yeah, this is a touching scene..but she's hott!"
cloak_and_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 14:26   Link #380
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
I hate to sound shallow, but the first thing i said when i saw the spread of natsu holding her was "Dang she looks so hot!!" Then, "oh yeah, this is a touching scene..but she's hott!"
Nah, you're not shallow, especially when so many people probably thought the same thing too.

And also with this chapter, we see why Ezra's so anal about following Marakov's decisions and rules - they have quite a father-daughter relationship. Even though Marakov sees nearly everyone that joins the guild as his own child, still it doesn't lessen what these two share.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen