AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-04-08, 18:50   Link #201
scifijimmy

The problem with calendar systems is people rarely start using a new one after only a few years of the event its uses as counting from. It usually comes into appearance some hundred years after the event.

Have to agree on issue how EU is more recent than Brittannia.

On Elizabeth III, when was her reign?
scifijimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 19:07   Link #202
KrimzonStriker

Uhmm the a.t.b calender system has already been around a century, converted in modern time we'd be in 2069 AD right about now.

Probably, though it was stated that the EU and Britannia have been struggling with each other for a long time now, a war that's been exhausting to both sides.

Elizabeth III? Sometime around the Napoleonic War Era I guess, she's technically not real because apparently in the alternate time line Elizabeth I had a kid named Richard who carried on the Tudor line I believe.
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 19:23   Link #203
scifijimmy

Just stating the first two points, Striker. But thanks on answering my question.
scifijimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 19:25   Link #204
KrimzonStriker

Whose points were you talking about? I lost track, and your first assessment left me a bit boggled
Old 2008-04-08, 22:33   Link #205
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifijimmy View Post
The problem with calendar systems is people rarely start using a new one after only a few years of the event its uses as counting from. It usually comes into appearance some hundred years after the event.

Have to agree on issue how EU is more recent than Brittannia.

On Elizabeth III, when was her reign?
The first time we hear about her is in 1807 a.t.b, the failed American revolution took place in the 1770s a.t.b, and by 1853 a.t.b Britannia has already been established for long enough to be sending trading/war ships to Japan.

so somewhere in there. >_>
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 22:45   Link #206
Cal-Reflector

Right, so it was Britannia that did the whole Perry opening up Japan to the rest of the world thing? Interesting, I think people can add that to their "officially given concrete date and events" list, the few of which have been so important for us in figuring out the World of Geass' historical time line.

I'm continuing my previous post on the Britannian Navy in the military and weapons thread. It is probably more appropriate there.
Old 2008-04-09, 01:57   Link #207
Ridwan

Greetings !

I would like to represent my speculations about the roughly whole situation of the world of Code Geass. I posted my map yesterday in Image thread, but now I think I have found a more appropriate thread to post my map

Anyway, below is the map, and this link will lead you to my previous post in the image thread where I made some lengthy explanations there. Enjoy

Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 08:37   Link #208
Strettger
PopulationControl Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Uhmm the a.t.b calender system has already been around a century, converted in modern time we'd be in 2069 AD right about now.

Probably, though it was stated that the EU and Britannia have been struggling with each other for a long time now, a war that's been exhausting to both sides.

Elizabeth III? Sometime around the Napoleonic War Era I guess, she's technically not real because apparently in the alternate time line Elizabeth I had a kid named Richard who carried on the Tudor line I believe.
Debateable, earlies it could have been established is 55BC, making 2017atb 1962 AD.....
By the same token, it could be centuries from now, th e Boudica rebelion could have succeded as the union that pushed the Romans out. Actualy that would be an interesting twist, Boudica as C.C.... the pronounciaction has changed from Boadicea to the modern Boudica in the intervening 2 milleniums.... Which would make 2017 atb 2077 AD.

Current British Monarch is Her Majisty Elizabeth the Second, Elizabeth III is pure fiction.
Strettger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 10:09   Link #209
KrimzonStriker

Uhmm, I thought Lelouch established the specific incident that began the a.t.b calender was when a Celtic King managed to repulse the first Roman invasion by Julius Ceaser or something, ashlay was the one who converted the date for me when I first made the assumption that the calender was formed the year the Holy Empire of Britannia was
Old 2008-04-10, 10:17   Link #210
Strettger

Quote:
Uhmm, I thought Lelouch established the specific incident that began the a.t.b calender was when a Celtic King managed to repulse the first Roman invasion by Julius Ceaser or something, ashlay was the one who converted the date for me when I first made the assumption that the calender was formed the year the Holy Empire of Britannia was
It was over 2000 years ago regardless of the callender - it could have been a queen who transcended myth and became a king over time..... like Chinese whispers.

More I read this the more I find it interesting as to the implications.....
I love being devils advocate....
Old 2008-04-10, 10:24   Link #211
KrimzonStriker

Uhmmm, I don't understand what you're getting at, there was a specific ancient Celtic King and from that date the a.t.b calender is converted to like 2060ish A.D according to what I was told when I inquired about it myself, so I don't understand where your getting these tales of myths from if it was a specific historical event with a specific date

Ediy: Okay, I updated myself and apparently the actual start of the a.t.b calendar is really wacky, officially occurring after an actual royal bloodline is set up by the Celtic Kings around the time of rule during Augustus I believe... but the remaining time line coincides with the AD calendar instead...

Last edited by KrimzonStriker; 2008-04-10 at 10:46.
Old 2008-04-10, 11:42   Link #212
Strettger

Dates and events become..... squiffy over time.
If the Celtic king was remembered by word of mouth over 2000 years facts change.

William Wallace for instance was blown out of proporsion to be a near Herculerean leader when he was actualy allmost a dwarf for instance.

Given the times, King was a greater rank than Queen. Its out there but its a theory nontheless.
Old 2008-04-10, 11:47   Link #213
KrimzonStriker

What does this have to do with when the a.t.b calendar occurred again? It's an alternative history where instead of getting conquered by the Romans the Celts grow strong enough to establish their own dynastic bloodline from which the a.t.b calendar is formed from, that's the version of history we were given by the staff, why are you disputing it so much when we have no hint about myths or rumors on people that didn't technically exist thanks to the change in time line?
Old 2008-04-10, 11:52   Link #214
Strettger

Nope, I was just having a brainfart that Boudica, the celtic rebel queen may have been the celtic leader that united Brittania against the Romans. Given the way her name has been bastardised to Boudica from Boadicea, I hypothesised that it may be C.C.

This comes from her saying it was a strange pronounciation of her name in the cave. Both fit the lip movements aswell....

The bit about corrupted history from generation to generation over time was to allow Boudica to be remembered as a king as opposed to a queen.
Old 2008-04-10, 12:06   Link #215
KrimzonStriker

Well... Boudica didn't really get the chance to do that as Rome seems to have not managed to conquer the British Isles like they did in the actual time line and an established bloodline of kings was eventually made >_>
Old 2008-04-10, 12:14   Link #216
Strettger

Quote:
Well... Boudica didn't really get the chance to do that as Rome seems to have not managed to conquer the British Isles like they did in the actual time line and an established bloodline of kings was eventually made >_>
Hmmm. My interpretation was that there was a war that eventualy pushed the Romans back. Whereas the Romans reinforced and beat the rebbelion.

If the Iceni rebeled and neighbouring Kingdoms joined in then ultimatly forced the romans out, they the Brittanians would have united and stopped the slow Roman conquest of the British Isles. Presumably the leaders of the Rebbelion, the Icini would reap the spoils of starting the rebelion and proclaim themselves the king of kings of the coalition.
Old 2008-04-10, 12:27   Link #217
KrimzonStriker

But the detail we got involved specifically the initial repulsion of Julius Ceaser during his first invasion which streams off into the alternate time line where the Celts eventually unite under and established blood line of kings... during Augustus's, not Nero's reign which is when Boudica came into prowess >_>
Old 2008-04-10, 12:31   Link #218
Strettger

Like I said, its a brainfart, not meant seriously juts as one of those quantom possibilities when you flip a coin....
Old 2008-04-11, 02:58   Link #219
Ridwan

Actually as a firm believer of butterfly effect, I'm quite discontent at Sunrise' choice for the point of divergence of Code Geass Alternate Timeline. Surely if Sunrise, or even any other production house would even going to bother them selves to extensively researching and speculating would going to give me nice dreams for thousands of nights and they'll have me as their worshiper !!: Then again, I doubt it.... what a shame.....

And that's for my ranting now.... Btw in wikipedia I found that in our world Augustus planned to invade Britain 34, 27, and 25 BC, but it never realized because the circumstances were never favourable, and that trade brought more annual revenue rather than any conquest could, maybe at least during Augustus time. Now, let's say that Romans were around Britain for 10 years at most, and we're basing on the years Augustus actually planned to attack Britain. Then based on those I would say that if converted, 2017 a.t.b is equivalent to one of the years between 1983 AD to 2002 AD of our year. That's a rough calculation only, though...

Btw, here are the continuations of my map in my previous post. One map depicting a.t.b 2007 and the other depicting a.t.b 2017 after the Area 18 in Middle East has just been established :

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ridwan; 2008-04-11 at 04:03.
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 04:07   Link #220
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Actually as a firm believer of butterfly effect, I'm quite discontent at Sunrise' choice for the point of divergence of Code Geass Alternate Timeline. Surely if Sunrise, or even any other production house would even going to bother them selves to extensively researching and speculating would going to give me nice dreams for thousands of nights and they'll have me as their worshiper !!: Then again, I doubt it.... what a shame.....
Err... No works of fiction that involved altering historical events ever followed the butterfly effect.

Because if they do, any minor change would change absolutely everything; nations, languages, names of famous people. Within 100 years of an alteration, the world would become unrecognizable and might as well be from a separate universe.

Narrative necessity forces the story to "bend back" from an alteration in the past. Hence we still get Napoleon and Washington in Code Geass, even though if the Butterfly Effect was fully followed they would never have been born at all.