AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-17, 06:46   Link #121
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Sayaka lasted barely a week as an MG:

Day 1: Contracted, killed Kristen
Day 2: Fought Kyoko
Day 3: Kyoko, round 2, Soul Gem revelation
Day 4: Moped around at home, pep talk by Kyoko.
Day 5: Hitomi ultimatum. Breaks down and goes nuts on Elsa Maria, blows off Madoka
Day 6: Sees Hitomi with Kyosuke, takes out frustration on familiars, Soul Gem goes critical, shatters, Oktavia is born, Sayaka is dead.
Day 7: Oktavia killed by Kyoko's suicide attack.
With the revelation on the Soul Gem being a lich phylactery....thing....

Mami never knew the truth. Sayaka would ideally be something similar to her....Someone who just kills monstrous things in the belief that it's heroic and protecting others.
Old 2011-04-22, 17:36   Link #122
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Timeline 3 Mami thought Magical Girls were better off dying than becoming Witches.

Timeline 5 Madoka changed the system so all Magical Girls die before they become Witches.

Guys, I told you so. Timeline 3 Mami wasn't crazy. She wasn't just freaking out over Sayaka. She was the only sane one all along.

How do you feel about this?
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 17:55   Link #123
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Timeline 3 Mami thought Magical Girls were better off dying than becoming Witches.

Timeline 5 Madoka changed the system so all Magical Girls die before they become Witches.

Guys, I told you so. Timeline 3 Mami wasn't crazy. She wasn't just freaking out over Sayaka. She was the only sane one all along.

You're kidding right? Madoka just removed the turn into witch part if they overused their powers. That is a big difference from thinking you had to kill all magical girls to stop witches.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 17:57   Link #124
Dark Wing

I can't believe people are still on about this...Let it go already.
Old 2011-04-22, 18:01   Link #125
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Mami is right about how dying is likely preferable to becoming a witch.

That being said, if Mami had succeeded in her efforts in Timeline 3, Homura would have died there, preventing Timeline 5 Madoka from fixing the system, and hence preventing her from saving countless magical girls from that very same witch fate (which in turn saved the lives of those who would have been victimized by those witches).

So, ultimately, Mami made the wrong choice, but for an understandable reason. It was the wrong choice because there was a better way available, and Homura and Madoka both achieved that better way.
Old 2011-04-22, 21:33   Link #126
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

i'm so happy to see mami alive. <3
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 22:00   Link #127
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post

Yes, it is sane to kill other people regardless of their opinions. Oh, all for the greater good, I guess
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 05:28   Link #128
Hagoshod
Banned

Sounds like you're all just having a hard time admitting that I'm right.
Old 2011-04-24, 10:33   Link #129
Shadow5YA

There's a difference between killing another person and dying of natural causes. If killing magical girls before they can fall was acceptable, there would be no need to change the system, and Homura could have stopped at the third timeline we were shown. The end does not justify the means. If it did, we would be supporting Kyubey.

The difference between TL3 Mami and goddess Madoka's decisions are that Mami still had to kill a comrade, while Madoka changed the system for every girl to die from a natural process. Mami's decision was not wrong, given the predicament they were in. She did choose the lesser of two evils, but the lesser of two evils is not necessarily a permanent solution.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 10:51   Link #130
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
There's a difference between killing another person and dying of natural causes. If killing magical girls before they can fall was acceptable, there would be no need to change the system, and Homura could have stopped at the third timeline we were shown. The end does not justify the means. If it did, we would be supporting Kyubey.

The difference between TL3 Mami and goddess Madoka's decisions are that Mami still had to kill a comrade, while Madoka changed the system for every girl to die from a natural process. Mami's decision was not wrong, given the predicament they were in. She did choose the lesser of two evils, but the lesser of two evils is not necessarily a permanent solution.
What I bolded does not logically follow from what you wrote before it.

If the ends do not justify the means then Mami made the wrong decision. Period, end of story.

You can't have it both ways.

Mami made the wrong decision, and I'm amazed how anybody can deny this obvious truth now.

Homura and Madoka obviously found and achieved a much better way, rendering Timeline 3 Mami's decision wrong.

Timeline 3 Mami's decision is somewhat understandable, but if she had not been stopped from fully acting on it, this anime would have ended much worse than it did.
Old 2011-04-24, 14:44   Link #131
Shadow5YA

It depends on whether you consider "the lesser of two evils" a choice between one right and one wrong or two wrongs. Different people have different opinions on the matter. What Mami did was choose between the lesser of two evils. Madoka simply rejected the question entirely and created a third answer that was never there in the original problem.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 16:53   Link #132
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
It depends on whether you consider "the lesser of two evils" a choice between one right and one wrong or two wrongs.
No, I don't think that it depends on that, in this case.

The right decision is one that, if fully acted upon, will have good results (or the best possible results if not quite 'good', per se).

Mami's decision is one that, if she had been allowed to fully act upon it, would have resulted in an end far worse than what this anime gave us.

So, as a simple matter of logic, it was the wrong decision.

That doesn't take anything away from her character. She understandably snapped. Let's leave it at that.

Especially since Mami turned out pretty good in Episode 12, thankfully.
Old 2011-04-28, 05:28   Link #133
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
I already speculated on how the revelation in TL3 might have crushed Mami's self-image that she might have been upholding to keep her life meaningful. Realising that someday you'll be the very threat you opposed and that you've dragged three girls into this hell just because you didn't want to be lonely...

In contrast, there is no such danger in TL6. Under Madoka's control, the system isn't so different from how Mami viewed it originally.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 06:47   Link #134
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Chicks with guns turn me on.
Old 2011-05-05, 03:15   Link #135
HasuMasu
*Artist

i liked her the most

btw,

"mami" means "noodles" in the philippines

in episode 3 she happened to be eaten by a giant noodle

hohoho boy,

i think we're onto something

Last edited by HasuMasu; 2011-05-05 at 06:00.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 04:04   Link #136
Hagoshod
Banned

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/File:Mami_hands_2.jpg

Wow, even the Blu-Rays are inconsistent with the whole ring / fingernail thing.
Old 2011-05-05, 08:40   Link #137
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
I had an impression that a Soul Gem can be zipped to whatever form. Maybe there are variations at the girl's will?
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 09:02   Link #138
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
i liked her the most

btw,

"mami" means "noodles" in the philippines

in episode 3 she happened to be eaten by a giant noodle

hohoho boy,

i think we're onto something
MAMEE noodle snack!
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 10:27   Link #139
sa547
*Author

Oh yeah... At one point her name struck me as funny because it reminded us Filipinos of a noodle soup popularized by a Chinese dimsum restaurant in Manila known as Ma Mon Luk. According to some, the name "mami" was an amalgamation of the first two letters of the owner's name plus the Chinese word for "recipe". Since then the name mami became a generic term to describe instant noodle soup packages (unlike Cup Noodles and the like).

There's another thing I noted lately with some racy fanart... seems that there's no end to the fetish over her chest and all.
Old 2011-05-05, 10:36   Link #140
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
I had an impression that a Soul Gem can be zipped to whatever form. Maybe there are variations at the girl's will?
What's that got to do with the lack of a fingernail marking, though? The ring we quite clearly see (though as several pictures show, never see for Madoka ) is the Soul Gem.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters