Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-02-22, 11:54   Link #61
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Does it paint this picture around the back aching M-Cup boobs, because I do not remember any real realism concerning the actual apocalypse (it literally just happens), just some of the aftermath. As it is, where Japan may fall, America wouldn't even bat an eye (what with the millions of guns a large minority own and the standing army and hardware that can be easily used (one of the stupidest things in the novel was Brooks inability to describe just why the American military failed so spectacularly; the excuses used were simplistic at best).
You are talking realism with regards to people becoming zombies?

What America...no first world nation worth it's salt would fall to a mass zombie horde unless > 50% of the population including the military got turned into them via dark necromancy or whatever
Old 2013-02-22, 12:42   Link #62
GDB

At the very least, it implied that people were infected for a while before turning. Long enough to infect others. Plus, the zombies were kind of like crocodiles. Slow for the most part, but incredibly quick lunging and snapping.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 17:42   Link #63
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
At the very least, it implied that people were infected for a while before turning. Long enough to infect others. Plus, the zombies were kind of like crocodiles. Slow for the most part, but incredibly quick lunging and snapping.
Crocodiles can do that because they have predatory instincts that tell them to sneak up on prey quietly. Zombies shuffle and shamble towards their prey out in the open, while groaning loudly. This is not an ideal hunter.

I think the problem with zombie outbreaks, is that they really require each zombie to make more successful bites than a predator like them should be capable of. Even at the earliest point where people aren't on the look out for zombies, I can't see the average shambler zed managing to bite more than 2-3 people before the cops come in and shoot it dead. Will those 2-3 people possibly go onto bite 2-3 more people each a week later? Perhaps...but all together you're still talking about a really insignificant number of zombies compared to the total population of the city.

The biggest problem with a shambler apoc, is that there's a BIG gap between when the infection starts and when there are too many infected to fight. By the time there are 100 zombies in a big city, they're not numerical enough to take over a city, but they're high profile enough to warrant a major crack down from SWAT and riot teams.

Max Brooks trys to explain away this stage by talking about government coverups and black ops units trying to keep the lid on things...except I'm not exactly sure how the Federal government was supposed to crack down on every single 911 dispatch that MIGHT have been a zombie attack, and deploy a special forces team instead of a couple of patrol cars. A secret conspiracy that involves every 9/11 dispatcher doesn't exactly seem like a very reliable one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You are talking realism with regards to people becoming zombies?

What America...no first world nation worth it's salt would fall to a mass zombie horde unless > 50% of the population including the military got turned into them via dark necromancy or whatever
Interestingly, I thought the mythos behind the Infection in L4D was the most believable. And not just because of runners, but because of the presence of highly virulent (Virulent to the point where being in the same room as a carrier without a gas mask can get you infected) typhoid Mary's spreading the virus. That's the real thing that did everyone in. Stuff like that causes large numbers of infected, while also operating with a pattern of infection that's likely to cause significant infection rates among military and police forces that could react against the zombies.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 20:05   Link #64
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Fast zombies are realistic. Take any zombie flick/game where the root of the problem was some kinda genetically suped up soldier experiment gone wrong and the virus develops into a kinda rabies like disease...

One question though...what would you consider a zombie? An infection which causes people to go berserk but technically haven't died...would you still count that as a zombie?
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 22:33   Link #65
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
One question though...what would you consider a zombie? An infection which causes people to go berserk but technically haven't died...would you still count that as a zombie?
Technically yes, in terms of definition, but in terms of the horror genre, no.
Old 2013-02-22, 22:59   Link #66
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
The biggest problem with a shambler apoc, is that there's a BIG gap between when the infection starts and when there are too many infected to fight. By the time there are 100 zombies in a big city, they're not numerical enough to take over a city, but they're high profile enough to warrant a major crack down from SWAT and riot teams.
I think it depends on how the zombie epidemic spreads. I saw a quirky Korean anthology film a year ago called Doomsday Book, and one of the short films was dedicated to a zombie epidemic that spreads after tainted beef is given to a large number of people across the country. Thousands were infected in a single night, and while not turning into zombies immediately, the virus was able to rapidly spread through simple bodily fluid exchange. And since the individuals did not become zombies immediately, the growth rates were left unchecked (since they were simply assumed to be a flu victims).

Sadly, most zombie films are not set-up in such a way as to present a realistic zombie epidemic (as realistic as a zombie epidemic can be). The zombies just appear, society falls, end of story.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 23:00   Link #67
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Do you mean because they're not horrifying enough or because they don't fit the genre's conventions?
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 23:12   Link #68
GDB

Genre conventions. When I think horror zombie, I think undead. When I think of zombies that are such due to some sort of drug, I think action game/movie.
Old 2013-03-23, 10:21   Link #69
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Newest trailer.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

A cure ehh?
-The Sounds of fans of the book crying like babies over this-
Old 2013-03-23, 10:24   Link #70
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Newest trailer.

YouTube

A cure ehh?
Their tears are delicious!
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 10:39   Link #71
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
A cure ehh?
Maybe, maybe not. Could just be a red herring.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 12:18   Link #72
killer3000ad

Why is there always some little child in these movies that has to go,"I am scared."
Old 2013-03-24, 05:09   Link #73
Seitsuki
Onee!

Well, that link died fast.

Here's another

YouTube

Last edited by Seitsuki; 2013-03-24 at 05:14. Reason: YT format
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 21:40   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I always think it's incredibly amusing when corporations file copyright violations on *advertisements* which might incline people to buy the actual product. Of course, Paramount is the brilliant pack of witless that tried to shut down the Star Trek fanbase online presence ... you know, the people who actually revived the franchise from oblivion and kept it going.
Old 2013-03-25, 04:00   Link #75
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

A cure huh. It's certainly a departure from the source material. But I'm guessing they'll trace it back to China with the old experiments from WW2 done by the Japanese hinted in TZSG.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 10:50   Link #76
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
A cure huh. It's certainly a departure from the source material. But I'm guessing they'll trace it back to China with the old experiments from WW2 done by the Japanese hinted in TZSG.
Sounds more like Russia according to the trailer when he states that he's trying to "get into Russia."

I dunno but I just find it silly that these "zombies" are capable of super human feats where they're destroying buildings, overturning buses, climbing over giant walls, and taking down helicopters. Next thing you know they'll say that the Zombies are so smart and strong they could take down a Gundam....

I never understood the concept that the Zombie is the perfect soldier or superhuman.

That and the fate of the entire world rests on the United States....why can't it be Canada? Or Jamaica or something? Change it up a bit.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 11:17   Link #77
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I never understood the concept that the Zombie is the perfect soldier or superhuman.
I like the idea of a super soldier formula gone awry. That would explain quite a bit of the inconsistencies of the 'zombies' abilities. Then again, they wouldn't really be zombies would they?

Quote:
That and the fate of the entire world rests on the United States....why can't it be Canada? Or Jamaica or something? Change it up a bit.
To be fair, just in terms of readily available military and strategic resources, America is more or less the top in all possible lists. America may have fallen far in terms of nearly every other aspect of modern life that actually matters, but as a military institute the ol' US of A is king of the hill.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 11:47   Link #78
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Well it seems like an experiment gone wrong since the infection spread so quickly.

On that matter about the cure there's that boy who just sits and makes himself small and the zombies just run by and avoid him.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 19:12   Link #79
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Sounds more like Russia according to the trailer when he states that he's trying to "get into Russia."
Yeah I can see that. Originally these were supposed to be slow zombies with a more holistic view of various governments giving ideas that eventually became a plan of action. But as I've mentioned before, today's vastly interconnected and instantanious social media prevents the "plausability" of the original slow zombie creep plot. Plus Hollywood loves CGI, action, explosions and a American-centric protagonist.

IIRC it was suggested way back in 2008 when the rights for the film were first bought by Brad Pitts studio by fans that a Mini-series akin to the writing style's portraying various POV's would have been more appropriate than a movie version. And now with the advent of serials like The Walking Dead I would argue that it makes more sense.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote