AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-05-27, 07:03   Link #241
battle22

Is it ok if I put the Renpy-game download link here?
battle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 13:46   Link #242
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
Is it ok if I put the Renpy-game download link here?
My initial guess would be that it'd be better to link to an offsite blog or page from which the download could be made, personally.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 13:59   Link #243
battle22

I have the VN in renpy , but right now i am trying to transfer it to onscripter. I thought renpy was easier but turns out ons is a lot easier for me. XD I uploaded the renpy version on a site which should not be named(Site that does certain patches , which never has be mentioned here). I doubt anyone would care but hey i'm having fun writing it. The renpy ver has horrible grammar errors , which i am fixing in the ons ver
Old 2012-05-29, 02:20   Link #244
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Just finished Board of the Golden Witch. Wasn't sure I would like it as much as the others since I'd only visited the websites it was about a few times each, but I think it ended up being a touching little story to anyone that had ever been a part of any online community that has died over the years for whatever reasons. So on that level I certainly related to it.

Also I gotta ask, was the title intended to be such a clever pun? Because I see at least three ways that it's a play on words.
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 02:35   Link #245
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
Also I gotta ask, was the title intended to be such a clever pun? Because I see at least three ways that it's a play on words.
Yes, although that's mostly due to luck.

Spoiler for puns:

The intended meaning was actually the first, but any of those could work.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:45   Link #246
RandomAvatarFan

Inquisition is pretty fun. It took an interesting turn away from the silliness of Forgery and Trick. The interaction was pretty neat, and I wish I had the chance to do more. I can kick myself for not finding some of the more useful items, and not pursuing the bright red herring.

I'm also enjoying Culprit-san's confession. There are some big hints hidden in there, I believe. I hope that whatever I missed in the investigation, I can make up for in the confession.

Without love this picture cannot be seen.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 18:06   Link #247
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
I thought renpy was easier but turns out ons is a lot easier for me.
In that case allow me to say: I admire you.
Seriously, I've been busy all day today trying to figure out onscripter, the damn thing is harder than it looks. Right now, I am capable of hacking Umineko's script, but I don't even want to imagne how the hell one is supposed to create a visual novel from scratch using this engine.

P.S: Just finished Forgery of the Golden Witch. Still trying to find who the culprit is. I have some thoughts though.
Spoiler for Forgery:

Of course, that's just an idea of mine, I haven't concluded to one culprit....(YET).

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 01:29   Link #248
battle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
In that case allow me to say: I admire you.
Seriously, I've been busy all day today trying to figure out onscripter, the damn thing is harder than it looks. Right now, I am capable of hacking Umineko's script, but I don't even want to imagne how the hell one is supposed to create a visual novel from scratch using this engine.
Lol, of course i can't make onscipter script from a scratch, i'm using umineko script. XD It's a lot faster than renpy, I had to stralias stuff in renpy when in ons i don't need those lol. Just bg command and _ld command. Also i preffer ons , cuz it has better effects lol.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:56   Link #249
Drifloon

I really loved Board despite never having visited those websites. It does a really good job of introducing everyone and giving lots of detail on the sites' history, so I don't really see why people seem to think it's so esoteric; actually it kind of feels like it was written for outsiders more than it was for people who were already familiar with the websites.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 10:42   Link #250
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
So I have a question to everyone who made those Forgeries in the past...

Does it always feel like, after you've written the mystery, that everyone is going to see through it instantly the first time they read it? Because honestly, I just finished making each of the murder scenes, and the answers feel so...obvious to me, that I find it hard to believe someone will have difficulty solving it.

Of course, it might change a bit once I've written the narration to fill in the spaces around it, but I just wanted to make sure that this isn't a red flag for 'way too easy'
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 11:06   Link #251
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I don't write mysteries, so I'm not too worried about it.

Old 2012-05-30, 11:09   Link #252
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

I feel like this too.

When I finished the plans for the first twilight I thought "Isn't this a bit too easy?". Heck, the whodunnit was dead obvious but I did some changes to make it harder to solve.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 11:10   Link #253
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

If you ask my opinion, it's a shot in the dark really.

You might write something that appears absolutely obvious to you and then find out that nobody goes even close to it. And then you might write something that you believe is absolutely difficult only to see it solved in a few days.

If you really want to be sure your story will keep being entertaining try to make several levels of mystery, so even if something gets solved something else might not. This also gives you the liberty of creating various level of difficulty.

It is boring if you solve everything but it isn't fun if you don't solve anything. Make it so the mystery has various levels from easy to very hard so that it will be impossible to get the whole picture, but easy to get at least some of it.

That's my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I don't write mysteries, so I'm not too worried about it.
Liar!
Well I at least remember I almost solved a one-shot mystery of yours at the first try.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 11:11   Link #254
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
So I have a question to everyone who made those Forgeries in the past...

Does it always feel like, after you've written the mystery, that everyone is going to see through it instantly the first time they read it? Because honestly, I just finished making each of the murder scenes, and the answers feel so...obvious to me, that I find it hard to believe someone will have difficulty solving it.

Of course, it might change a bit once I've written the narration to fill in the spaces around it, but I just wanted to make sure that this isn't a red flag for 'way too easy'
Honestly that's the biggest thing keeping me from writing one. I've been interested in making one for a while now (Especially after reading When the Seacats Cry and Witches & Woodlands) but I don't think I could come up with any decent crimes or mysteries to solve. I have some ideas, but still it's hard to come up with anything worthwhile.
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 12:05   Link #255
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Liar!
Well I at least remember I almost solved a one-shot mystery of yours at the first try.
Well, that's partially why.

I do have an idea for a purely semantic mystery but that's about as close as I think I'd be able to get.

Old 2012-05-30, 12:09   Link #256
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Honestly, some of the best Forgeries don't have mysteries as such, such as W&W. Myself, I've got it in my head to write a "2015 Conference" where the tragedy never happened, everyone's grown up, and has kids of their own. And just make it some gaggy slice of life shit.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:43   Link #257
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
Honestly that's the biggest thing keeping me from writing one. I've been interested in making one for a while now (Especially after reading When the Seacats Cry and Witches & Woodlands) but I don't think I could come up with any decent crimes or mysteries to solve. I have some ideas, but still it's hard to come up with anything worthwhile.
I haven't actually released a forgery yet, so I don't know if I'm qualified to say this, but I find it easier to come up with tricks from the detective's perspective, as if I was solving a mystery that someone else made. To get into that mindset, I start with a bizarre crime scene first and then work backward trying to figure out how to construct it.

Speaking of which, @AuraTwilight: Santa Cross is currently stalled by an annoying logic error I discovered, but you'll get a new and improved version as soon as I figure out how to unravel it.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:48   Link #258
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Well, that's partially why.

I do have an idea for a purely semantic mystery but that's about as close as I think I'd be able to get.
Well you know a mstery doesn't necessarily need to be hard to solve to be a good mystery in my opinion.

Of course if you want something exceptional then you need to come up with an "incredibly ingenious murder trick that no one ever thought about" which wouldn't sound at the same time completely retarded or implausible.
Good luck with that...

Old 2012-05-30, 12:49   Link #259
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I think the best idea would be to approach it from one of two angles:

1) Come up with a "hook" idea for your mystery, like "a fresh corpse is found at the bottom of a well that has been sealed by a concrete cap for 20 years," then work behind the scenes to come up with a way that such a thing could actually happen. The initial idea will be the mystery as presented to the detective, and the rest will be what he or she has to figure out.

2) Come up with a sequence of events and actions taken by the major characters and especially the culprit. Then when you're done, at key steps in the process go back and ask "How could the culprit have created some mystery at this stage in his actions?" Develop the mysteries from there, and when adding clues, write an ending to the previously-established skeleton outline that brings together the clues to catch the culprit.

Basically a bottom-up ("I have a neat idea, how do I make it work?") vs. top-down ("I have a story, how can I add some mysteries?") approach.

Old 2012-05-30, 12:58   Link #260
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Attention Renall.
Well you might nor agree with me, but a mystery is in the first place a work of narrative before a game.

When you devise and absolutely convoluted murder case, alongside the question: "how the culprit could do it", you should ask yourself "why the culprit had to kill the victim in such a creative way? For what purpose?"

Normally you'd think a murderer would try to put efforts into "get away with it" not into making it look like an impossible crime.
If there is a particular reason it must be developed.