AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-10-18, 21:54   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I really really try hard to pretend I've never heard of Midi-chlorians when watching the original star wars but no matter how much i want to ignore them,they're cannon even if I don't like it.They'd be cannon even if I hadn't watched the prequel.So in a way yes,those freaking Midi-chlorians are messing with my enjoyement of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Though I do recognize that's an extreme example.
Right. Star Wars is like the ultimate worst-case scenario where more of something seriously hurt the original, but because it's the worst-case scenario I think it shows clearly what some of us are worried about here.

So, to guard against that, I'm actually completely with AuraTwilight here - If you're going to stick to the PMMM-verse after the movies and do more shows in it, then go with a completely new cast. Think "Madoka Magica: The Next Generation!", and go into the future a bit, with a brand new cast.
Old 2012-10-19, 08:17   Link #42
GDB

Main reason the Star Wars one was so bad was because it was a prequel. But on the other side of the coin, you have Fate/Zero, which enhanced the original so much. If it's a bad sequel, like GT, you can more easily ignore it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 09:11   Link #43
maximilianjenus
[E]

Going by what we already have, oriko magica written by gen and kazumi supervised by gen, the results have been pretty good, by themselves they are not as good as the madoka arc, but they expand into the universe and show us more possibilities without ruining anything.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 23:11   Link #44
Witched

Spoiler for ..!:
Witched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 23:29   Link #45
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Alright, think about it, though. Gen says he wants new writers for the new series, which could be good or bad. IMHO I'm hoping it means someone out there with a completely different take on the PMMM premise could make this worth our while. It could even be a story that has PMMM's basic premise and theory but not directly linked to the TV series, maybe a completely different world and storyline from the original. A "Spiritual Successor" of the series so to speak, but one that doesn't have to link to Withces, Soul Gems, Incubators et al but still keeping the feel of the original series intact

You know, how like Bioshock was a spiritual successor of System Shock...(that reference might go over the heads of anyone who hasn't played PC games in the 90's)

The thing is that the whole reveal about Witches and Magical Girls was the main punch of the series--fans already know about that, so a new series will not have as much impact. The writer should try something different enough so that most of us won't see it coming.

One last thing: Star Wars was not the only case of this. Fans of Wing Commander will remember (painfully) the movie that was actually directed by the game's original creator...
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 23:37   Link #46
getdoubles

The only beef I have is that Gen make it sounds like he is jumping ship soon.
getdoubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 10:21   Link #47
Cloudy

Well it seems that he might no longer be in control of the PMMM franchise. Actually I would rather Gen move on to creating other anime originals than to stick with Madoka after the TV series.
Old 2012-10-21, 10:21   Link #48
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by getdoubles View Post
The only beef I have is that Gen make it sounds like he is jumping ship soon.
That's a good point.

You know, I wonder if a discussion like this went down...

Shinbo: Thanks to Madoka Magica and the Monogatari series, SHAFT is now rolling in dough! Maybe we'll actually be able to get episodes done on time and with consistent animation quality from now on.

Gen: I'm glad the partnership worked for both of us. Now, time to clue up my PMMM story with the third movie.

Shinbo: ... Clue it up? I knew you were dark, but I didn't think you were crazy! We should milk this for all it's worth.

Gen: I've told the story I wanted to tell with the end of the third movie. It was a very rewarding story that I wanted to tell, but I've simply done everything I want to do with it.

Shinbo: But, but... No! That won't do. Do you realize how big PMMM can be? As an anime original production, we can go wherever we want with this!

Gen: Yes, you can, but I'm not. I'm done after the third movie, Shinbo.

Shinbo: So... you're saying you'd let other people write extensions and spin-offs for your story?

Gen: Yes.

Shinbo: Well, I guess that'll do then. I'm going to get my PMMM Slice of Life show after all!
Old 2012-10-21, 11:06   Link #49
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Having watched both Madoka Movies (ALL HAIL TAIWAN VIEWSHOW CINEMA CHAIN!!) and the trailer for Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes (ALL HAIL YOUTUBE!!!) back to back, some random thoughts:

1) Since the Kyubey-Madoka / Kyubey-Homura segments shows that the Madoka franchise is filled with Philosphical-Angst cut-scenes, I wonder what would happen if the franchise is handed to Hideo Kojima.....

2) A "Tactical Espionage Action" Sneaking Game focused on Homura's growth from a timid wallflower with a Time-Displacement-Device into a Magical Warrior using Kojima's Fox Engine..... That would fricking ROCK!!

3) Would Homura-chan do as well in the jungles of Russia against The Cobra-Brigade/Volgin/The Shagohod/The Boss if she is put in Snake's position? Snake has single-handedly beaten multiple giant montrosities with heavy-firepower just like Homura-chan has; how would HE fare against the witches if he's put in Homura-chan's position?

4) Come to think about it; paint me crazy. A brooding and philosphical yet rip-roaring action-packed Madoka series helmed by Hideo Kojima would kick ass!!

Ah, the power of insomnia.
Old 2012-10-22, 09:46   Link #50
maximilianjenus
[E]

I just hope we don't get the wors case scenario which is getting season 2 aired, it's plot depending/continuing movie 3 and the movie 3 bd is still not out >.<
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 10:40   Link #51
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I honestly can't imagine what's gonna happen to Madoka without the supervision of Gen. I just want it to be just him, and only him to write for the main story of Pmmm, if ever it's going to be a continuation of the 3rd film. I am okay if someone else handles it if it's just a spin-off, a SOL preferably. But the original storyline should be done by him still DX
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 11:00   Link #52
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

While not Hideo Kojima taking the Madoka helm? As shown with the Metal Gear Solid Franchise, he is JUST as capable (if not moreso than) Urobuchi of piling the tragedy, melodrama and human-emotions a mile-high, tearing your heart out and stomping on it until you cry.... and making you LIKE it too!!

A scary thought: Urobuchi Ken directing the next Metal Gear Solid Game with his own unique brand of cruelty....

Just DON'T let him ANYWHERE NEAR The Boss prequel ; the poor Lady has suffered QUITE enough, thank you very much.
Old 2012-10-22, 11:21   Link #53
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
While not Hideo Kojima taking the Madoka helm? As shown with the Metal Gear Solid Franchise, he is JUST as capable (if not moreso than) Urobuchi of piling the tragedy, melodrama and human-emotions a mile-high, tearing your heart out and stomping on it until you cry.... and making you LIKE it too!!
It's always preferable when the original writer handles what has been his. Madoka written by another is just like reading One Piece done by someone not Eiichiro Oda
Old 2012-10-22, 11:39   Link #54
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

You're giving Gen way too much credit here, and I say that in all fairness to the guy. These are team efforts that require a lot of work and input from everyone. Gen may have been the "head script guy", but he didn't handle things like artistic direction, sound, voice acting, and many of the other elements that went into making the show great. He probably wasn't the only writer either, especially since it was his first anime script. He did have a lot of creative control, but all I'm trying to say is that if Gen is willing to put his faith in other writers, we as fans should at least be willing to give them some faith too.
Old 2012-10-22, 12:02   Link #55
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You're giving Gen way too much credit here, and I say that in all fairness to the guy. These are team efforts that require a lot of work and input from everyone. Gen may have been the "head script guy", but he didn't handle things like artistic direction, sound, voice acting, and many of the other elements that went into making the show great. He probably wasn't the only writer either, especially since it was his first anime script. He did have a lot of creative control, but all I'm trying to say is that if Gen is willing to put his faith in other writers, we as fans should at least be willing to give them some faith too.
I'm not giving him too much credit. I know he's got other people he brainstorms with but the main idea is still his. And I think it's pretty obvious he didn't do those things you mentioned. Now, my point is, at least for me, I won't appreciate it as much as before if he doesn't write it anymore. It's not going to be his idea anymore what I'm going to watch and that'd feel like off to me. It's going to be like watching a different show, well, to me.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of better writers than him who might be capable of continuing his story. But it's always better if he still does it because it's his. Ugh, do you get what I mean?
Old 2012-10-22, 12:21   Link #56
getdoubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
I'm not giving him too much credit. I know he's got other people he brainstorms with but the main idea is still his. And I think it's pretty obvious he didn't do those things you mentioned. Now, my point is, at least for me, I won't appreciate it as much as before if he doesn't write it anymore. It's not going to be his idea anymore what I'm going to watch and that'd feel like off to me. It's going to be like watching a different show, well, to me.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of better writers than him who might be capable of continuing his story. But it's always better if he still does it because it's his. Ugh, do you get what I mean?
Yeah I know exactly where you are coming from. If most of the original team stays for a while and I would be at ease.
getdoubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 12:23   Link #57
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdoubles View Post
Yeah I know exactly where you are coming from. If most of the original team stays for a while and I would be at ease.
Thank you
Old 2012-10-22, 13:39   Link #58
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post

I get it, I just don't agree. I think you (and others) are getting too focused on what might change when in all likelihood there probably won't be much difference at all. Although I'm sure someone will find something they don't like and blame it on the "new guys" anyway.

I'm really not worried that more Madoka will be a bad thing. Shaft is a proven studio with great talent and good financial backing. I truly doubt Gen will simply walk away from the franchise after selecting additional writers. He'll probably move into creative control instead.
Old 2012-10-22, 14:02   Link #59
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm really not worried that more Madoka will be a bad thing. Shaft is a proven studio with great talent and good financial backing.
The financial backing is extremely situational, depending of the sponsors and producers. So far, they have an "okay" partnership with Aniplex, but their recent stunts with the movies might not be to their liking anymore (really, being done with the second movie barely 2 weeks before its screening is just asking for troubles).

As long as the cash flows, it will last for a certain degree, but whether the public will welcome the changes (should there is any) or not is a complete different story.
Old 2012-10-22, 14:41   Link #60
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The financial backing is extremely situational, depending of the sponsors and producers. So far, they have an "okay" partnership with Aniplex, but their recent stunts with the movies might not be to their liking anymore (really, being done with the second movie barely 2 weeks before its screening is just asking for troubles).

As long as the cash flows, it will last for a certain degree, but whether the public will welcome the changes (should there is any) or not is a complete different story.
All true, but I meant it as a general statement. It's not like they'll be out of business if they don't get another Madoka level hit, is basically all I was getting at. They've got a good cushion, although you make a point that their habit of delivering stuff at the last minute will catch up to them eventually.

My whole point is that people are seeing "Gen is looking for writers" and extrapolating that to "Gen is going to turn into George Lucas", and there's really no basis to believe that because his role will diminish or that it will diminish the franchise with the changing of seats. We need more information before the worrying can be justified.