AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-12-11, 20:06   Link #1
GreatTeacherKen

Damn, that was close.

So I'm sure most gamers have at least one moment where they won by the skin of their teeth. So feel free to describe or show, if you have a video clip, those moments.

For me, the most recent one I remember happened in Super Mario Galaxy though I sadly don't have a video of it. It was on the purple coin mission in Ghostly Galaxy, and in it, you have to collect all of the purple coins within one minute, a task made more complicated by all the obstacles blocking the way. I screwed up a few times and bumped into the wall so I didn't think I was going to make it. Then I managed to get all of the coins and the star showed up, by then there was like 3 seconds left. Somehow, I managed to get the star right when the clock turned 0, and I won.

Oh, this next one from Star Fox 64 is not mine, but it's definitely the greatest close call I've seen in a video game. I guess it's fairly self-explanatory even if you've somehow never played this game. I did not know this was even possible :

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWsxWDPhPY
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 21:33   Link #2
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Had a few close calls like that in Soul Caliber 4's Arcade Mode (which I realized is a whole lot tougher than Story Mode), especially last night when using a custom made character (a female based on Kilik, whose bio I'll post sometime later) involving fights against Siegfried, the Apprentice (who in my opinion is actually a whole lot tougher to deal with than Algor), and Algor (who seem to always be the last 3 opponents in the tier) - as in the fights were really intense and I thought I was gonna lose, and by the time the fight was over, the opponent was down and out and I had only a pinch of health left.
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 21:50   Link #3
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Mortal Kombat Armageddon, against Blaze, Hard mode, I was Shujinko, round 3, final round, I have all my breakers out, Blaze too but he was kicking my ass with his roller stomp
He only needed one single hit to defeat me, out of nowere I managed to avoid his powerfull attacks and reverted the battle, at the end...

Shujinko Wins!

I was most O.O!
Old 2008-12-11, 22:27   Link #4
Roll

The final battle in The World Ends With You... Damn that was a hard one, indeed x_x I only had left a little HP, and I thought I was going to get a Game Over for the 348732th time, but then... Tadah~ I killed the boss xDDD
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 23:46   Link #5
solarknight123

For me it was kingdom hearts 2 when i was facing against sepheroth, the first time we both were close to death and i was one kill away when he beat me to it. The second time was the same scenario except i was the one to defeat him. Another game is Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories where i'm fighting ansmem as riku. It's always the scenario when i play that part.
Old 2008-12-12, 04:56   Link #6
Chrono Helix

FFIX, Antlion boss. All my party members were dead except for Freya who was in critical condition. Her last attack killed the boss before she landed from the Trance Jump.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 09:26   Link #7
Guppy

Descent: Freespace for me; it was my first try at the final mission, where you have to destroy five generators on the SD Lucifer superdreadnought before it completes its jump into Sol system and devastates the Earth. I'd lost all my wingmen knocking out the first four generators, my shields and armour were down to critical, and I released my last Harbinger bomb at point-blank range and hit the afterburners to escape the blast radius just as the clock was winding down to zero.

It was so close that at first I thought I'd failed the mission - then I got the successful ending cutscene.

All in all, not a bad way to finish a game off, especially with a roomful of friends watching over your shoulder.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 11:14   Link #8
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
I've now remember,not long ago I've play Rengou vs Zaft 2.It was Shinn mission,I use Impulse Gundam to compesate with that pain in the ass cost system.The mission require me to obtain some escape pod to complete it.There was 3 Impulse,they completely blown me everywhere.

So it was my 10 try,I've to get only one pod & guess what suddenly Blast Impulse fire it plasma cannon with my health running low.Lucky for me it a miss,I got the damn pod to complete the mission.Why I miss the rush of adrenaline course through my body.
Old 2008-12-12, 11:22   Link #9
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Mortal Kombat Armageddon, against Blaze, Hard mode, I was Shujinko, round 3, final round, I have all my breakers out, Blaze too but he was kicking my ass with his roller stomp
He only needed one single hit to defeat me, out of nowere I managed to avoid his powerfull attacks and reverted the battle, at the end...

Shujinko Wins!

I was most O.O!
That reminded me of this Street Fighter 3 video.

Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 06:14   Link #10
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

*ZOMGDAIGOUMEHARA*
That was truly the most awesome moment I have ever witnessed in my whole gamer life. I wish I was here.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 23:34   Link #11
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Wild Arms Alter Code F, the battle against Berserk. I finally got it with just Rudy at 24 HP or so after 6 weeks because this place doesn't allow you to leave to get supplies and I ranout of memory card space. Argh!
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 23:56   Link #12
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

Which reminds me of Dead Fantasy II.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 23:56   Link #13
Avisch
Reality Blender

Touhou has this moment alot.

THen of course.....most Odin Sphere boss fights. Especially the last one.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 01:14   Link #14
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Motor Storm PR, especially when you get to at least level 6, the races are just too tough
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 09:54   Link #15
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
THen of course.....most Odin Sphere boss fights. Especially the last one.
The nastiest boss fight I remember in Odin Sphere was the first go-round against baby-form Levanthan, because of that one-hit-kill breath attack of his... slip up just once and it was all over.

The last boss fight against adult Levanthan was really tedious because of the need to keep running up his coils to slash at his head, but I don't remember it being quite as brutal in comparison.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 14:20   Link #16
Vegard Aune

I suppose this would qualify as "winning by the skin of my teeth":
I was just playing Warcraft 3, in the human campaign, the mission where you're supposed to set up a base and defend yourself against the undead for 30 minutes before you're saved by Uther. When there were about 10 minutes left until he arrived, all my fighters were killed, so rather than trying to fight back, I... Took a bunch of peasants, had them run all over the map and build farms. I ended up managing to stall for time until I only had about 20 seconds left, then said peasants were killed...
In the end, just as the last farm was about to be destroyed, the timer ran out and I ended up victorious... Without a single unit left alive, and the only building left standing being ONE farm surrounded by zombies.
Old 2009-01-14, 17:24   Link #17
Amray

I have had a few epic fights on Dead or Alive 4 that I barely won. It has happened numerous times though.

I remember on Devil May Cry 3 when I was doing a boss, and when one is to die on that they have to restart the entire level if they have not saved it during the level, and I was fighting a boss and I started getting worried as it kept hitting me when it and myself had barely any health left. So I started tapping "square" really fast to shoot its remaining little health left and managed to kill it.

Another one was the final boss battle to Lost Planet and it was basically the same incident as the Devil May Cry one, except this time my health was lower, at practically zero, and his was a tad higher than mine. I managed to dodge his incoming attacks, just barely and then managed to hit him a few times with my triple-beam attack just as he was about to kill me with one last blow.

I have many more, it is just that I have forgotten a majority of them.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 17:13   Link #18
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

GoW2/1 I was near death, kept on shooting I thought I was about to die then: the sweet sound of relief that means all enemies dead!

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote