3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-26, 08:52   Link #441
Morgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If the space elevator is tough enough to bear its own weight, small weapons like the Grunts' shouldn't destroy it. (I'm not saying it's ok to shoot at it, since even small repairs ought to be expensive, but being hit shouldn't be fatal.)

Also, why "nuclear-free"? Have they forgotten how?

The space elevators only have to be strong in tensile strength. Depending on if their using carbon nanotubes or some fictional material the elevator might behave just like normal metal when hit in the side. Also damaging material held in extreme tension could cause some catastrophic secondary breaking when a piece snaps. Although the thing should be built with safeguards for a minor break. Still it's way too valuable and important for grunts to charge in guns blazing.

As for the nuclear part, I'm just going to assume for whatever reason that nuclear power and weapons went extinct until it's specifically stated in the show. If they don't want to tackle it then I'm perfectly happy to pretend it doesn't exist. I'll chalk it up to artistic license.
Morgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 09:56   Link #442
hhahaha2

Not the N-Jammer tech again is it? Except they left out the EM interference cost this time LOL
hhahaha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 10:45   Link #443
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhahaha2 View Post
Not the N-Jammer tech again is it? Except they left out the EM interference cost this time LOL
We don't know either way, because it isn't feasible to use nuclear power for mobile suits at the public-domain 00 tech level, and nukes are not practical when you haven't got a genocidal war going on.

(And no way are they going to use a nuke on a lone Gundam. If the Celestial Being HQ was to be uncovered, then it would have been a viable target to nuke.)
Old 2007-10-26, 15:03   Link #444
Virtue
Banned

Nuke-powered MS's won't be a pretty sight when they explode.....

And Gundam 00 seems to be all green("environmentally friendly").....
Virtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 15:42   Link #445
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Also, if you react fast enough to dodge or block with a small shield, as has happened in both series, it's not much of a stretch to block with a saber.
You do realize that it's much harder to get the timing right to bat away a fast moving object with a thin object, than it is to simply move a wide plate in front of it right?

About the whole nuclear power thing, what's wrong with the three powers simply having decided that solar energy is far more safe than having nuclear power plants all over the world?
Old 2007-10-26, 15:46   Link #446
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
You do realize that it's much harder to get the timing right to bat away a fast moving object with a thin object, than it is to simply move a wide plate in front of it right?
Of course, but it does mean it's not completely out of question (as, say, blocking something you can't react to at all would be).

And hey, even grunts have been known to block a shot or two with their shields, on a good day. Kira's supposedly one of the best pilots in the world. It'd be disappointing if he couldn't do something fancy like that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 15:50   Link #447
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
And hey, even grunts have been known to block a shot or two with their shields, on a good day. Kira's supposedly one of the best pilots in the world. It'd be disappointing if he couldn't do something fancy like that.
Ace pilots were plenty satisfying even before Jedi Master parrying (looks at Amuro). And back then grunts weren't as ridculousy worthless either.
Old 2007-10-26, 16:16   Link #448
Zero system

The nuke issue might be as simple as the three factions not wantin to have such a dangerous source for globl power (dangerous as in if attacked, id does masive damage) in such a politicaly instable world that gundam00 should be.

they probably relied on nuke power in the transition time while building the elevators/solar power system.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have an anti-nuke technology treaty between the three of them.
(I dont think that it will be mentioned in 00 since if you mention such a treaty in a show, it means that sooner or later one country/faction is gonna break this treaty)

off topic, did any of you notice hotel sunrise?

sunrise made a small cameo in the show
Zero system is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 18:02   Link #449
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
Nuke-powered MS's won't be a pretty sight when they explode.....

And Gundam 00 seems to be all green("environmentally friendly").....
First of all, nuclear powerpants aren't nukes.

Second, an exploding powerplant is actually rather boring, because all you will see is expanding, escaping steam. No mushroom cloud. (UC universe uses a fictitious type of fusion engine, so they can fudge the effect of its destruction.)

Third, currently 00 is avoiding making mobile suits explode too frequently. The fact that they are probably powered by hydrogen means there would be some explosion risks, but otherwise 00 is avoiding the "blow up if hit anywhere" cliche.
Old 2007-10-26, 18:09   Link #450
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero System
The nuke issue might be as simple as the three factions not wantin to have such a dangerous source for globl power (dangerous as in if attacked, id does masive damage) in such a politicaly instable world that gundam00 should be.
I don't think this is very likely for a number of reasons. First, if safety was such a great concern, they wouldn't have built the orbital elevators to begin with. A collapse of one of these would be much worse than the destruction of a hundred nuclear reactors. Next, centralizing the majority of a nation's power needs on a single source makes for redundancy issues - issues that would be far less problematic in a distributed power network. Finally, the world of 2307 doesn't seem to be particularly unstable. Certainly, there's no mention of any imminent wars or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero System
I wouldn't be surprised if they have an anti-nuke technology treaty between the three of them.
(I dont think that it will be mentioned in 00 since if you mention such a treaty in a show, it means that sooner or later one country/faction is gonna break this treaty)
As a rule, all arms limitation treaties are null and void on the outbreak of war. That's because the relative outcomes under game theory change between peace and war. (Interestingly enough, the war scenario is an excellent example of a zero sum game.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Third, currently 00 is avoiding making mobile suits explode too frequently. The fact that they are probably powered by hydrogen means there would be some explosion risks, but otherwise 00 is avoiding the "blow up if hit anywhere" cliche.
They should have done this in Gundam shows ages ago. It's an extremely welcome change.
Old 2007-10-26, 19:51   Link #451
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgun View Post
The space elevators only have to be strong in tensile strength. Depending on if their using carbon nanotubes or some fictional material the elevator might behave just like normal metal when hit in the side. Also damaging material held in extreme tension could cause some catastrophic secondary breaking when a piece snaps. Although the thing should be built with safeguards for a minor break. Still it's way too valuable and important for grunts to charge in guns blazing.
I believe there are some hydralics or mechanisms in piece to "absorb" shocks or impacts. When the terrorists' missiles were shot down by Kyrios, the shrapnel or whatever impacted on the Elevator and we see hydralics moving in place.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-27, 00:48   Link #452
Morgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I believe there are some hydralics or mechanisms in piece to "absorb" shocks or impacts. When the terrorists' missiles were shot down by Kyrios, the shrapnel or whatever impacted on the Elevator and we see hydralics moving in place.
But those dampening systems were in space, where it would be much more likely to have impacts from random bits of space junk or tiny asteroids. Would they really extend the dampeners all the way down the elevator when they could reasonably expect the atmosphere to burn up any minor fragments that fell? Could they really afford the extra weight of many tens of kilometers of 360 degrees of cushioning? It just seems unlikely to me, but in the grand scheme of things it's no big deal.
Old 2007-10-27, 10:02   Link #453
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

The best episode so far in my opinion. But I didn´t really understand why the "Real IRA" laid down their weapons so I think the ending was weak. Cause as I understood it they just laid their weapons down cause they thought "Uhoh, Celestial being is going to come for us to sooner or later!" Did I interpret it right or did I miss something?

Funny moment with the two students too.
"This is the part where you´re supposed to chase after me!"

(I´ve had a similar experience after a date when I dropped her off at a train station. I was about to turn around and walk back to the car when she said, loud and clear, "Come here, this is where you´re supposed to kiss me goodbye." )

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-27, 17:46   Link #454
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgun View Post
But those dampening systems were in space, where it would be much more likely to have impacts from random bits of space junk or tiny asteroids. Would they really extend the dampeners all the way down the elevator when they could reasonably expect the atmosphere to burn up any minor fragments that fell? Could they really afford the extra weight of many tens of kilometers of 360 degrees of cushioning? It just seems unlikely to me, but in the grand scheme of things it's no big deal.
Well in the atmosphere wouldn't you have to take into account the weather? The elevator would need to be set up in a way to withstand heavy storms and winds.
Old 2007-10-27, 22:12   Link #455
Ledgem
Love Yourself

It's a bit off-topic, but has anyone seen this article? Basically, Nissan made a concept car that includes a little robot in the dashboard to make sure you're happy (happy drivers = fewer accidents, according to statistics) and to help out with other driving tasks, like giving information. The article contains a video - watch it.

Now tell me, does that robot not remind you of Haro and Lockon Stratos? How fun would it be to mod the voice to be that of Haro?
Old 2007-10-28, 02:41   Link #456
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Not very fun. I find Haro's voice annoying. So is that robot's voice, for that matter. I'd probably get into an accident while busy punching that robot's face. (Is there anything more irritating that someone telling you to calm down when you're already angry?)

Why can't they give it a soothing feminine voice?
Old 2007-10-28, 02:59   Link #457
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Not very fun. I find Haro's voice annoying. So is that robot's voice, for that matter. I'd probably get into an accident while busy punching that robot's face. (Is there anything more irritating that someone telling you to calm down when you're already angry?)

Why can't they give it a soothing feminine voice?
Would Noto Mamiko's voice do?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 03:25   Link #458
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, no. Because then I would never get out of the car...
Old 2007-10-28, 10:05   Link #459
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

As if there weren't enough distractions on the road, the last thing we need is a robot.

Give me a GPS readout anytime.
Old 2007-10-28, 11:42   Link #460
Morgun

LOL As if human backseat drivers weren't bad enough, now they'll be automated. I can't wait.

Robot: Have you been drinking?
Me: Shut the hell up!