AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-22, 09:47   Link #321
.Mero

Don't think to much of my posts when it comes to shipping and pairing.
Old 2008-08-22, 10:44   Link #322
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryns View Post
I made a comment about the possibility of this in the episode thread. My thought was that depending on how Alto reacts to Klan next episode they could have some sort of bonding experience over the loss of Michel thus setting up a relationship of sorts between the two of them. As for the second part of your post I am not sure if you mean handle in the romantic sense. If you do we would have to see how being Songstress of Despair works out for Sheryl. If see really dies then I can see it happening, this would be the second person that Alto lost that was central to his world. Three if you count Michel. She can understand that and help him come to terms. Someone in the romance thread( sorry for not crediting but I didn't want search 80 pages of posts trying to find your name) mentioned Alto's voice actor saying in an interview who he ends up with will be a suprise. This would be more of a suprise than Alto and Ranka getting together for the sake of Frontier. Not to mention more original.
Meh~ KlanxAlto unlikely since Klan is gonna go bezerk on the vajra and no long haired pretty boy is gonna calm her down. She's not gonna get over it for a while. And the whole using Mikhail's death as a bonding experience is like spitting on his grave. So obviously wrong.
Old 2008-08-23, 00:09   Link #323
Deryns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Meh~ KlanxAlto unlikely since Klan is gonna go bezerk on the vajra and no long haired pretty boy is gonna calm her down. She's not gonna get over it for a while. And the whole using Mikhail's death as a bonding experience is like spitting on his grave. So obviously wrong.
After rewatching the episode with better subs I agree the romance is unlikely given what was said. I was responding to the second line of the post I was quoting with the only way I see that being possible. My original post in the episode thread mentioned the possibility of a mutual comfort sort of thing. Not unreasonable given that Michel was an important part of both their lives. I understand his death was necessary for the story, just wish the death of one of the more interesting characters hadn't been.
Old 2008-08-23, 08:06   Link #324
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

The only closness Alto and Klan will ever share will be their common sadness over the end of Michael. That common bound will bring them closer together but not in a romantic way. If Klan survives till the end of the series, which is up in the air at this point with the major death flag, then I think she will be something akin to a best friend and nothing more. I'm afraid however that for the series, whatever happens to her, she will be alone and with any love for a while.
Old 2008-08-30, 22:53   Link #325
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
The only closness Alto and Klan will ever share will be their common sadness over the end of Michael. That common bound will bring them closer together but not in a romantic way. If Klan survives till the end of the series, which is up in the air at this point with the major death flag, then I think she will be something akin to a best friend and nothing more. I'm afraid however that for the series, whatever happens to her, she will be alone and with any love for a while.
Klan could be the Single & Un-attached version of Canaria, whose a close frined of Ozma. I mean:

Klan = Canaria & Alto = Ozma
Old 2008-08-31, 16:17   Link #326
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Alto's grown on me quite a bit. I mentioned before that he's really grown into his solider/protector persona. At this point I'm wondering how Ranka's defection is going to affect him.

For a long time Ranka kind of personified what he was fighting to protect, an innocent that couldn't protect them self. When she decided to sing to help fight, he was very leery about it (along with Ozma), pretty much he knew that it took more than "good intentions" to go to war.

He probably felt that the burden of everyone's safety and the necessity to do/see horrible things was beyond what Ranka as he knew her could handle. Ultimately, the loss of a good friend, the old way of life, and the her abandonment of her duties could really make Alto feel like he's been fighting for nothing.

He could get emo or awhile but when the chips are down I know Alto will fight with his last breath when needed.
Old 2008-08-31, 16:50   Link #327
Wesley84

I think Alto is completely thoughtless and borderline heartless. His brother is right. Alto is an actor, and lives to act and play out whatever role is appropiate. He was raised that way though, so it can't be helped.
Old 2008-09-10, 22:21   Link #328
Deryns

Great to finally see some Alto development. The dogfight and conversation with Ozma was awesome.
Old 2008-09-10, 22:29   Link #329
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryns View Post
Great to finally see some Alto development. The dogfight and conversation with Ozma was awesome.
The exploded asteriods looked like shit.
Old 2008-09-10, 22:31   Link #330
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I think Alto is completely thoughtless and borderline heartless. His brother is right. Alto is an actor, and lives to act and play out whatever role is appropiate. He was raised that way though, so it can't be helped.
Never thought I'd be agreeing with this guy, but that's a good assessment..

I've been fighting myself with comparing him to Takabaka from KGNE but he gives me those vibes...I guess the brightside for him is that Sheryl doesn't have much time left thanks to those bedbugs eating her brain meat like a smushed-up 3musketeers bar...
Old 2008-09-11, 01:32   Link #331
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Oh?

what's this?

*click*

I wonder when i'll get to say; "Finally Alto! a cheers to you!"

Old 2008-09-11, 08:26   Link #332
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utau View Post
Oh?

what's this?

*click*

I wonder when i'll get to say; "Finally Alto! a cheers to you!"

Whenever he supposedly picks the girl(s) of your choice. If he ever does. It's not like he's invested in saving Frontier, defeating a formidable and evil enemy, or even making amends with his dad.
Old 2008-09-11, 09:36   Link #333
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Whenever he supposedly picks the girl(s) of your choice. If he ever does. It's not like he's invested in saving Frontier, defeating a formidable and evil enemy, or even making amends with his dad.
Frankly, neither has Ranka, but that doesn't seem to stop you from thinking she's perfect =)
The show was meant to be romance centric, much like how M7 was music centric. Is it really so weird that the space wars take second place?

I also doubt any of the Sheryl fans would care too much if he decided to choose Ranka in a way that was more than just "Oh you're small and in need of protection so I'll me with you forever even if you don't know anything about me and I rarely listen to you fully and now you're queen of buglies that killed my [kind of] best friend so main character loli kirakira ftw" >_>

Last edited by ippus; 2008-09-11 at 09:47.
Old 2008-09-11, 14:38   Link #334
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Frankly, neither has Ranka, but that doesn't seem to stop you from thinking she's perfect =)
Don't "=)" me. I've never said she was perfect. Just a better developed character than anyone else. I also find her behavior more acceptable in general, and appreciate the fact she isn't some spoiled starlet. Unlike someone else I might name.
Old 2008-09-12, 00:38   Link #335
Deryns

Wow 2 straight episodes with Alto development I guess the series really is getting near the end. Although I am a little scared, the last character I liked who got this much development died.
Old 2008-09-12, 05:40   Link #336
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Surely we can all agree Herr Saotome is a product of his upbringing. In personal terms, he is aloof and indecisive, although male leads in Macross series tend to share the latter trait. In military terms, he is undoubtedly skilled and brave. Unfortunately, his recklessness is a severe disadvantage, one anyone devoid of plot armor would pay most dearly for.

To be frank, Herr Saotome is somewhat of a disappointment to me. Of course, in terms of Macross protagonists he is not that bad. Unfortunately, measured against his more heroic or qualified counterparts, he is a bit lacking... although with time, he might grow into a more formidable individual. In fact, he already has, if only a bit, even though I have a hunch Kawamori still has a couple of aces in his sleeve.
Old 2008-09-12, 08:16   Link #337
Deryns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hausser View Post
Surely we can all agree Herr Saotome is a product of his upbringing. In personal terms, he is aloof and indecisive, although male leads in Macross series tend to share the latter trait. In military terms, he is undoubtedly skilled and brave. Unfortunately, his recklessness is a severe disadvantage, one anyone devoid of plot armor would pay most dearly for.
In what terms are you calling him indecisive? He seems to me to be capable of making pretty firm choices, choosing piloting over kabuki, fulfilling lifelong dream over reconciling with his father or seeing another concert, staying to protect his home when seven-tenths of his coworkers didn't. I agree about the recklessness however that is pretty standard among mecha pilot heroes.

Quote:
To be frank, Herr Saotome is somewhat of a disappointment to me. Of course, in terms of Macross protagonists he is not that bad. Unfortunately, measured against his more heroic or qualified counterparts, he is a bit lacking... although with time, he might grow into a more formidable individual. In fact, he already has, if only a bit, even though I have a hunch Kawamori still has a couple of aces in his sleeve.
Again by what standard does he seem disappointing? I agree his development has been very slow, but I chalk that up to development being focused on the other two main characters so far. I have found his character interesting mainly because of Kawamori avoiding the cliched "boy falls into a mecha cockpit and is a instant ace" mold some series are fond of. As of the last 2 episodes he has come a long way.
Old 2008-09-12, 08:27   Link #338
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I also find her behavior more acceptable in general, and appreciate the fact she isn't some spoiled starlet. Unlike someone else I might name.
Yeah her jumping out of Brera's vf was so acceptable!
Old 2008-09-12, 08:33   Link #339
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yeah her jumping out of Brera's vf was so acceptable!
Yeap, along with the classic, "I want to die" line
Old 2008-09-12, 08:43   Link #340
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Ah, I should have been more specific, then. Herr Saotome is, or at least appears to be, fairly indecisive in terms of interpersonal relations, especially those of the romantic sorts. But like I said, this is Macross cliche, and has to be expected, even though it is annoying. On the matter of his reckless behavior, yes, it is a standard, and one that should be beaten out of mecha jocks with heavy blunt instruments. In the field, recklessness gets either the individual in question, or his companions killed. A lesson in humility would do the boy good, as far as his future career and continued existence (bar the plot armor, of course) is concerned.

And as for my measuring standards, in terms of qualifications, especially those of the military kind, in Japanese animation, there are very few true ones. And while I am undoubtedly unfair, for military men and such ilk, I primarly use the one who says "This is no Zaku, boy! No Zaku!"

StillI admit, Herr Saotome has undoubtedly grown during the series, and hopefully, he is not at the end of his road.

Last edited by Paul Hausser; 2008-09-12 at 12:48. Reason: Spelling and grammar corrections
Closed Thread