AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-09-21, 19:25   Link #41
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

All I have to say is the phrases "The pairs cannot be denied" and "Of course, this [the ending] too will be open to argument but this is the way it was meant to be" are completely contradictory. And considering this isn't the thread to discuss this, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 21:19   Link #42
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
All I have to say is the phrases "The pairs cannot be denied" and "Of course, this [the ending] too will be open to argument but this is the way it was meant to be" are completely contradictory. And considering this isn't the thread to discuss this, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
That may not be the best wording but what he likely meant is that although it seemed open ended it really wasn't and that the ending pair couldn't be denied. Which is something I agree with.

Anyway I doubt an ending like one in the game you mention is possible anyway. I still remain in my stance in saying that they shouldn't have Yulie like Lenard it would be pointless because she clearly has no chance of winning as Hino already said that the game's story will center around the relationship between the protagonist and the princess and that their relationship will be a romantic one having Yulie like Lenard just for her to lose easily is pointless it would be better for her to fall in love with someone else or for them to develop her as something else to Lenard instead of a romantic interest.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 21:57   Link #43
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
What DeotoxSlayer said.

Basically, the ending can be open to interpretation (though how open it really is, is quite limited due to what the story presents), but the story is pretty clear who is paired up with who. It's not a case of winning a love triangle or something. In fact, there is no such thing.

Now in White Knight Chronicles, I find it hard to believe that Yulie and Lenard's relationship as childhood friends won't amount to something. Just a feeling I have... But what interests me even more is the mysterious relationship between Yulie and the princess. Long lost relative perhaps?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 00:15   Link #44
mandarb916

from this week's dengeki

Cliffnotes
-first native 1080p RPG on market
-storyline on par with those from DQ series
-image quality approaching that of FF
-(making a leap here) online potentially reminiscent of monster hunter

*please don't direct link images to other sites...running out of bandwidth on a lot of my photobucket accounts
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 00:40   Link #45
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
from this week's dengeki

Cliffnotes

*please don't direct link images to other sites...running out of bandwidth on a lot of my photobucket accounts
Definitely like the sound from the cliffnotes . Especially on the storyline, which really has become the big thing for me. Since I enjoyed DQVIII and how the story felt there it should be a good ride overall. Though visuals aren't my top priority if it ends up looking great I won't be complaining .

Thanks for the post.
Old 2008-09-24, 06:27   Link #46
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
from this week's dengeki

Cliffnotes

This is awesome

The DQ stories are pretty good, I prefer the Final Fanntasy ones but if they're atleast at DQ Quality i'm sure the story will be good.

Native 1080p and Graphichs approaching 1080p is also awesome not one of my top priorities but its sure is better if it's like that.

Asl for the Online potential being like Monster Hunter all I have to say is FREAKING SWEET, I knew this game was gonna be good but now i'm sure it'll be even better

Just one question why did you write Making a Leap before the Monster Hunter like Online is it because the translation is a streach or because that was what was said in the article?

This has been such a great month getting more and more information on my second most anticipated game.

Last edited by DeotoxSlayer; 2008-09-24 at 18:54.
Old 2008-09-24, 07:58   Link #47
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Having played DQ 1-4, 7-8, (ie. all the english released DQs), comparing WKC's story to it isn't exactly the greatest compliment. After all, they're all pretty much 'orthodox' RPG plots, and none of those stood out in that regard.

Old 2008-09-24, 16:32   Link #48
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Having played DQ 1-4, 7-8, (ie. all the english released DQs), comparing WKC's story to it isn't exactly the greatest compliment. After all, they're all pretty much 'orthodox' RPG plots, and none of those stood out in that regard.
Glad to know that I am not the only one who always thought that DQ's stories felt amazingly cliche and poor. DQ's strenght relies in its mechanichs, not in the storytelling,
Anyway I should have seen it coming, it's Level 5 afterall. They're not exactly the best storytellers around. :\
I'm ready to eat my words when the game's out though.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 18:54   Link #49
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Glad to know that I am not the only one who always thought that DQ's stories felt amazingly cliche and poor. DQ's strenght relies in its mechanichs, not in the storytelling,
Anyway I should have seen it coming, it's Level 5 afterall. They're not exactly the best storytellers around. :\
I'm ready to eat my words when the game's out though.
I enjoyed DQ games stories myself. Although they weren't amazing they were al pretty good.

Anyway I seriously think they were only using DQ as a reference because its the most popular RPG series in Japan(Not counting Pokemon) and its another game that they made(developed for SE). This was supposed to be read by the Japanese public and equating it to DQ would probably be a good thing in Japan making it seem like the type of RPG that is liked by the majority of Japanese JRPG fans. I'm not really gonna take anything about the story from what was actually written there cause of that because it seems like its simply them trying to hype their game.

The thing that did excite me was the supposed Monster Hunter like online mode which would be pretty awesome if they pulled it off correctly. Though I wonder if its also just a way to try hype the game.

EDIT: @mandarb916 I know you said not to link it to any site but is it okay for me to put it in the OP?
Old 2008-09-24, 20:38   Link #50
kujoe
from head to heel

I haven't played DQ8 (yes, I know... blasphemy), so I can't really compare WHC to that. However, the gameplay video of WHC from before gave me the impression that it might be like Rogue Galaxy. In other words:

dungeon crawl an area->cut scene->dungeon crawl new area->and so on...

I'm not sure if I like the sound of that. While Rogue Galaxy is a great game in its own right, it's also rather too straightforward. I hope the actual game will prove me wrong.

Is there a new video out there?

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-09-24 at 21:38.
Old 2008-09-24, 21:13   Link #51
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I haven't played DQ8 (yes, I know... blasphemy), but the gameplay video from before gave me the impression that it might be like Rogue Galaxy. In other words:

dungeon crawl an area->cut scene->dungeon crawl new area->and so on...

I'm not sure if I like the sound of that. While Rogue Galaxy is a great game in its own right, it's also rather too straightforward. I hope the actual game will prove me wrong.

Is there a new video out there?
You should play it. It's a pretty good game.

Anyways they only said that the storline was son Par with DQ not the actually gameplay or game style.
Old 2008-09-24, 21:38   Link #52
kujoe
from head to heel

Oh, it just occurred to me that others might misunderstand my previous post.

I was actually referring to the gameplay video of WHC and how it reminded me of Rogue Galaxy.

*edited previous post just in case*
Old 2008-09-24, 21:54   Link #53
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Well Level 5 is definetely better at crafting game mechanics than an intriguing plot, as their record with their previous JRPGs indicates.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 22:10   Link #54
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Well Level 5 is definetely better at crafting game mechanics than an intriguing plot, as their record with their previous JRPGs indicates.
I guess that's true thought he plot of Jeanne D'Arc was fantastic. I hope the plot of White Knight Chronicles is atleast on PAr if not better than Jeanne D'Arc's.
Old 2008-09-24, 22:28   Link #55
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Yeah just have to cross fingers and hope the story turns out well.
Old 2008-09-24, 22:31   Link #56
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
And this is what RPGs, no, this is what more video game companies should be doing. Forget about things like plot, character development, and pace. They're going to be mediocre at best. Western or Japanese, doesn't matter. Your RPG is boring, it's stale.

I don't care if you throw hundreds of low res ye old english text screens at me(fallout? every old school bioware game?) or how ridiculous and convoluted you make your plot(99% of jrpgs) while slapping some moe anime girls on there and hope for the best. I don't care about your stories because they are a drag, I just want to kill awesomely designed bosses, I want a great battle system(like level 5's!), I want a wide variety of weapons and skills(every Level 5 RPG!) and some nice music(Level 5! Dark Cloud 2's music was really something!).

That is all I ask for.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 23:05   Link #57
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quite interesting viewpoint you've got there Dingo, as it's the current poll over at RPGamer... which do you think is the most integral piece of an RPG?

I myself do agree... battle system for me is #1 by far. It's the reason why I love Romancing SaGa to the point it was my favourite PS2 RPG, only to be recently beaten by P3 which did had an interesting system as well but edged RS in all categories but music.

As for WKC, I'm not holding my breath at the plot, but the battle system looks to be my style of gaming.

Old 2008-09-24, 23:18   Link #58
Dingo
The polyphony

Ah. Romancing SaGa, I've been meaning to pick that one up myself. Battle System for me too, followed by Music... is what I'd like to say, but a lot of video game music is redundant. Specially amongst rpgs. Great examples of video game music: Xenosaga II and III, the great Yuki Kajiura. Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, and the .hack// franchise.

Realistically though, Battle system > Interaction > Originality > Music > Visuals >>>> Story. Don't need a gimmicky system to try and make your RPG worth something, it's very possible to polish and refine a lot of whats out there, Level 5 is very good at it.

Regarding WKC.. I've seen some gameplay, I like what little I saw though I hope they did fine-tuned the camera. Certainly wouldn't like to be wresteling with a crappy cam while trying to get a hang of it's great battle system.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 19:07   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Well I can understand the view even if its completely different from me. The story and the characters are what make or breaks a game for me. Sure one with a poor story and characters can be a decent rental its probably not going to keep me interested and definitely not coming back to beat again.

After all a game like Wild Arms didn't become my favourite because of something like the music. Though saying the music was still great so no complaints there . Didn't keep coming back for the graphics. Though still saying the fights were still fun to take part in. All about the story and characters and whether I could care about it.

Definitely the battle system comes after that point. If I'm going to be in for the long haul might as well make sure that I'm having fun fighting .
Old 2008-09-25, 19:27   Link #60
rg4619

IMO, game writing is generally awful. I'll have to admit that I originally got into RPGs because I liked the stories, but nowadays I can't reread those scripts without cringing.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote