AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-08-30, 01:49   Link #5061
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
In English, if you end a sentence with an initial, do you still put an extra dot for the period?
Such cases rarely occur, if at all. I would imagine "no", you don't put an extra dot before the full stop, purely for aesthetic reasons rather than grammar (in other words, it's mainly a publication housestyle/design choice). A better solution would be to recast the sentence to avoid ending it with an initial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Technically it wouldn’t. However I find the whole putting of periods after letters redundant especially for abbreviations that are meant to be read as words.
Technically, those would be acronyms rather than abbreviations. Again, it would be a design choice on the publication's part as to whether to dot the short forms or not.

Quote:
Also in birtish english usually you don’t place periods after the letters, if I’m not mistaken. So it’s just something like: “fox123O is a GIRL.”
Not sure about that. Take J. K. Rowling and J. R. R. Tolkien, for example.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 03:43   Link #5062
monster

Just to clarify, I'm more exposed to American English. I didn't bother specifying earlier since I wasn't (and am still not) sure if that would make any difference.

With that said, thanks for answering, you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
A better solution would be to recast the sentence to avoid ending it with an initial.
That does seem to be the safest option since I'm just so used to putting all the dots unless it's an acronym, and sometimes even then.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 08:25   Link #5063
econzz

ah I had a question...might be a little silly tho.. please don't laugh at me >,<

what is the difference between yukata and kimono?
and on what occasion do people wear yukata and kimono?
and is there kimono for men? or yukata for girl?

just wondering tho. sorry if anyone hv already discuss on this.
Old 2011-09-01, 08:55   Link #5064
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by econzz View Post
ah I had a question...might be a little silly tho.. please don't laugh at me >,<

what is the difference between yukata and kimono?
and on what occasion do people wear yukata and kimono?
and is there kimono for men? or yukata for girl?

just wondering tho. sorry if anyone hv already discuss on this.
The word kimono (着物) in Japanese means "thing that is worn," and can be translated in a larger sense simply as clothing (prior to the introduction of Western clothes). Thus, a yukata (浴衣) is a subset of kimono that is designed for summer that is lighter than the more expensive silk kimono that are quite warm during cold Japanese winters. Traditionally it served as summer clothing, and as its name implies, as the sort of clothes you wear after a bath. Yukata can be worn by men and women, though of course the design would be different.

Wikipedia can go into detail more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukata

You'll see girls don yukata often in the summer, particularly if you have the chance to go to a fireworks display (they're really crowded though...), so by consequence foreigners who watch anime have come to be familiar with the yukata as a representative of kimono, when in fact there are many many different kinds.

On another note, sometimes you may see girls will wear beautiful kimonos (not yukata) on some traditional holidays; kimonos are also frequent during Coming of Age Day (成人の日).
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 02:28   Link #5065
Kudryavka

What's the male counterpart to a "waifu"? I know that literally it would be a "hasubando," but I've never seen that term used by someone else in the context of a waifu before. So is there an existing term? Bishie? Hunk? BF?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 02:36   Link #5066
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You understand "waifu" is not actually a word itself, yes?
Old 2011-09-03, 04:27   Link #5067
Kudryavka

Quote:
You understand "waifu" is not actually a word itself, yes?
I know that it's not a real word, but it is an Internet word (no better name for it, sorry) that has a somewhat widely known connotation - or at least, mai waifu does. I'm wondering if there's a similar word for a guy character I like, or w/e.
Old 2011-09-03, 09:39   Link #5068
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
What's the male counterpart to a "waifu"? I know that literally it would be a "hasubando," but I've never seen that term used by someone else in the context of a waifu before. So is there an existing term? Bishie? Hunk? BF?
How's about "hubby"?

As what i saw, that's what fangirls use in situation when guys will likely to use "waifu"...
Old 2011-09-03, 11:34   Link #5069
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
How's about "hubby"?

As what i saw, that's what fangirls use in situation when guys will likely to use "waifu"...
OK, thank you!
Old 2011-09-04, 07:11   Link #5070
CupidKirby

Chibi Maruko-chan English dub?

Is it true that Chibi Maruko-chan has an English dub that aired on Animax in Asia?
CupidKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 23:44   Link #5071
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

I've been looking for a baka to testo light novel thread here but can't seem to find it is there one? and if there is could someone show me where i can find it please?
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 00:38   Link #5072
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
I've been looking for a baka to testo light novel thread here but can't seem to find it is there one? and if there is could someone show me where i can find it please?
Hm, doesn't seem to be one. In that case, should be fine to make the thread yourself in the Manga and Light Novels section.

For future reference, you can use the Search feature on the forums to pick out threads yourself.
Old 2011-09-05, 05:43   Link #5073
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Hm, doesn't seem to be one. In that case, should be fine to make the thread yourself in the Manga and Light Novels section.

For future reference, you can use the Search feature on the forums to pick out threads yourself.
Thank you very much i'll try making one and seeing if there is any interest in it.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 13:14   Link #5074
Solafighter
Hige

In this forum, in the "General Chat", wasnt there a thread about traveling to Japan? Cant find it anymore.

EDIT:
Found it.
Heck, the last post was in May..
Old 2011-09-07, 01:23   Link #5075
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Is there any other language(s) where "brother" and "husband" in same word?

In Malay "abang" literally mean "brother" but it also can be used for husband as well, like "hubby" in (American) English. I can't imagine Kirino and Sora calling their brothers as "abang".
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 02:13   Link #5076
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Not exact, but in Korean "oppa" is used for an older male sibling or someone who is viewed as an equivalent of an older male sibling; it is also used by women to call their boyfriends/husbands/lovers.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 07:19   Link #5077
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Not exact, but in Korean "oppa" is used for an older male sibling or someone who is viewed as an equivalent of an older male sibling; it is also used by women to call their boyfriends/husbands/lovers.
Some girls call their husbands "boss". I heard it from my friends' once - the wife was telling the child to get permission from his dad.

Interestingly, adding an "i" at the end of the romanised phonetic and you get - *IS SHOT*.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 18:10   Link #5078
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I don't know where to ask this but has anyone read 加瀬大輝's マンけん (Roman: ManKen)? I don't know if there is scan online, but if you have then can you give me a review?
Old 2011-09-08, 21:36   Link #5079
Kudryavka

I'm trying to buy tix to an orchestra concert in LA this October. It says that tickets start at $35 per person, but when I go to Ticketmaster to buy, they give me a bunch of choices. I have no expertise in orchestra halls whatsoever, so I just make random combinations of words I don't understand, and consistently end up with tickets that are well over $100 each. Can somebody who knows a bit about orchestra help me out? What combination of the following will get me the cheapest seats possible?

Section:
-Best Available
-Mezzanine Level
-Orchestra Level
-Pit

-House Center
-House Left
-House Left Center
-House Right
-House Right Center

The Ticketmaster site, if you'd like: Concert
Old 2011-09-09, 00:16   Link #5080
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I'm trying to buy tix to an orchestra concert in LA this October. It says that tickets start at $35 per person, but when I go to Ticketmaster to buy, they give me a bunch of choices. I have no expertise in orchestra halls whatsoever, so I just make random combinations of words I don't understand, and consistently end up with tickets that are well over $100 each. Can somebody who knows a bit about orchestra help me out? What combination of the following will get me the cheapest seats possible?

Section:
-Best Available
-Mezzanine Level
-Orchestra Level
-Pit

-House Center
-House Left
-House Left Center
-House Right
-House Right Center

The Ticketmaster site, if you'd like: Concert
Wait until it is very near to the concert date then choose best available.

Seriously, if you are there for the music, don't scrimp; try to choose the mezzanine seats, somewhere in the middle range. If you are there as entertainment with your friends, the suggestion in the first line should suffice.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious