AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How does long titles in light novels affect your anticipation in its story?
Very much, positively. 1 0.78%
Not much, but it makes the series interesting. 10 7.81%
It doesn't bother me at all. 68 53.13%
Not much, but worries me a bit. 30 23.44%
Very much, negatively. 19 14.84%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-01-17, 03:27   Link #21
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
I for one can't be bothered with titles especially if the only problem with it is trying to think of an abbreviation to refer it with while having a convo... something I'm seeing becoming a pet peeve for lots just because they have to shorten it on their own.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 03:55   Link #22
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

When I see titles like that, I think of this video:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-01-17, 04:01   Link #23
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzushinaYuriko View Post
I feel like this Twitter feed is relevant: https://mobile.twitter.com/ln_title_bot/tweets

Lately, it seems like the light novel industry are confusing titles with plot summaries. I remember an UN-GO Inga Nikki special that poked fun at this.

Please tell me that these aren't real titles.

Please.
Old 2013-01-17, 04:41   Link #24
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post

Please tell me that these aren't real titles.

Please.
Look at the links in the tweets.

And return here and tell us about it.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 07:23   Link #25
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
The little sister is a dragon and the older brother is prematurely balding

I practiced asking a girl who looks like the class president out, and she made me her slave.

MummyPoko! ~One day, I awoke as a Mongolian Death Worm.~

Anubis! This is how I became the strongest death worm
What the heck is this?

And what is two Mongolian Death Worm light novel series?!

EDIT: The "I practiced asking a girl who looks like the class president out, and she made me her slave." one is in the middle.

Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 08:50   Link #26
Midonin
Last Engage

I actually kind of love this. The idea of obscurity and ridiculous premise... it's like reading an anime literary version of one of my old B-movie websites. The obscure, the weird, the unknown and the cheaply but heartfully made... this is the depths of fiction that anime only scratches the surface of in its myriad adaptations.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 08:55   Link #27
RJ TAYLER

'Boy that "Student Council President" sure gets around a bit in novel form, but alas I am an oldie on an internet anime/manga forum and she would not be interested in me at all'.

Usually when the title is long I tend go for a derisive, and short, nickname as possible to remember it by eg X-Denpa for Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, the X is a nod to the X-Files series of course, and 'aliens' being a very loose part of the constituent subject matter. The longer the title the more ''fun' I have with it.

Though I would hope the novel/manga writers would adhere to the Keep It Simple Stupid school before we have a DVD release with nothing but text on the cover as there in no room for other credits/illustrations.
Old 2013-01-17, 08:59   Link #28
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I started to notice this trend becoming common since Oreimo, but it wasn't just used for LNs, but also in manga, visual novels and sometimes in anime. I think the reason why it becomes popular is probably due to the anime/manga industry crisis and the way the authors can't seem to find a good picking title from their own works, so instead they describe a part of the premise as a title instead. Despite that, it doesn't bother me at all as long as the story sound interesting for my personal tastes.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 09:09   Link #29
sa547
*Author

Besides, it's okay if the book title also goes by being abbreviated or given a nickname. I mean, something like "Maria-sama ga Miteru" would still be a mouthful for some.
Old 2013-01-17, 11:08   Link #30
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
What the heck is this?

Not to mention how the titles suggest that they both involve the protagonist *becoming* a death worm or something like that. I find that strangely hilarious.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 11:19   Link #31
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The long titles do not skew my expectations of the content (it would be stupid to judge a book by its cover, or in this case, its title) but I find them incredibly dumb. Who thought it was a good idea to have a sentence as a title?

"I'm a shitty Light Novel writer who can't come up with a decent title so I'll just use the premise as a title instead!"

If you want to have some fun, you can try to imagine what kind of titles a regular series would have had if it had been a light novel. Vividred operation: I put my grandpa in a freezer and I became a magical girl thanks to science!

Remember: the more ridiculous it sounds, the better. If you can put "little sister" in there somewhere, you've got a best seller.
Old 2013-01-17, 11:25   Link #32
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

If you want to have some fun, you can try to imagine what kind of titles a regular series would have had if it had been a light novel. Vividred operation: I put my grandpa in a freezer and I became a magical girl thanks to science!

Remember: the more ridiculous it sounds, the better. If you can put "little sister" in there somewhere, you've got a best seller.
A twitter guy have come up with this

Quote:
My Childhood Friend Turned Into a Vampire With this Stone Mask and Now I Have to Defeat Him With My Breathing!
Source
Old 2013-01-17, 11:26   Link #33
Folenfant
Banned

/\lol Jojo light novel edition.

Anyway Light Novels generally seem to state the wish fulfilment premise straight up is what I've found. The theory of naming conventions seems to be informing potential buyers everything they need to know about the fetishes being targeted. Right now the two big ones seem to be about imouto incest and boinking the super hot but stuck up and domineering school president/idol. I can't really say their adaptations are where I look for ideas that will last me more than a few anime episodes.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 11:29   Link #34
Qilin
Romanticist

It's really hard for me to expect much from a work that blurts out the entirety of its premise in the title alone. I won't go as far as judging the story right there and then just from the title, but I can't exactly say that it wouldn't affect my expectations either. After all, what kind of writing can I expect from an author who can't even be bothered to think of a reasonable title?
Old 2013-01-17, 11:50   Link #35
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

It's not just light novels, actually. Try the 2009 bestseller Moshidora, aka Moshi Koukou Yakyuu no Joshi Manager ga Drucker no Management wo Yondara.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 11:56   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^Moshidora is more of the exception than the rule though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

Source
Perfect
Old 2013-01-17, 12:04   Link #37
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
snipped

A long title usually indicates a comedy (or an attempt at one), and almost all of these do try for some laughs, though even that has exceptions. (AnoHana comes to mind, as does Moshidora.) What I'm saying is, it's no one thing. I believe there's the old adage of not judging a book by its cover? That's the short version for here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I tend to think this is sort of an internal joke among authors and publishers that became a "trend".

snipped

I don't think the "less-spectacular" plot necessarily has anything to do with the name, but many of these works are being published in the same or similar publications with similar themes and designed to appeal to similar target audiences... so they often have more in common than just the titles. Having similar titles may also be designed in small part to help connect fans of one work to other similar works they may enjoy... but that's not necessarily always the case either.
Pretty much these imo. Nearly all the 'sentence-based' titles I know of are 'love comedies' (be it slice-of-life, high school, or fantasy) (I know there are exceptions, but those that are not exceptions are generally very obvious). While some love comedies are extraordinary entertaining and may even touch on some deeper 'human' subjects (though seldom emphasized even if they do), on the whole, I would say that I never consider love comedies to be the 'top of the crop' novels. You will never get mind-blowing plots or "I am your father" twists. So it depends on what you seek in your literature. At the very least, I'll seldom be misled into thinking that one of these 'sentence-titled' book might be the next Lord of the Rings or Inception. Notwithstanding, I do enjoy a few of these, much to my own surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Infinite Stratos must be brilliant then
What's Infinite Stratos? Oh, you must have meant "同じ展開が最後まで繰り返すわけがない!? (There's no Way The Same Kind of Development Will Keep Repeating Till the End!?)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

Source
LOL! Though that will give me an impression that it's a comedy series
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 15:13   Link #38
Xion Valkyrie

This seems like fun:

"I'm a magus killer with a tragic past but I will fight for the holy grail so I can become a hero"

"I'm too indecisive to become the ultimate magical girl to save the world"

"I can't believe my observation doll has become this evil"

"I can't believe I love my two fake little sisters this much"

"Only I can help the classroom rep that I love so much with her demon cat possession because I'm also part vampire"

"I started a rebellion to fight against my father and my childhood friend for my blind and crippled little sister".

Last edited by Xion Valkyrie; 2013-01-17 at 15:33.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 15:20   Link #39
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
What the heck is this?

EDIT: The "I practiced asking a girl who looks like the class president out, and she made me her slave." one is in the middle.
The best part of those covers is that only one even remotely resembles something about school.

It's like they read this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18542...e-posters.html
Old 2013-01-17, 15:49   Link #40
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
"Kanojo" (girlfriend) is a pretty common word to see in these kinds of titles too.

Quote:
My Childhood Friend Turned Into a Vampire With this Stone Mask and Now I Have to Defeat Him With My Breathing!
God dammit. Now I have to try a few:

"I Will Sail to the End of the Grand Line and Find the Ultimate Treasure So I Can Become King of the Pirates!"

"I Play Trading Card Games While Having the Soul of a Thousand-Year Deceased Pharaoh Possess My Body!"

"My Planet is Always Threatened by Overly Powerful Aliens Who Desire to Utilize the Power of Orange Spheres With Stars On Them to Grant Wishes!?"