AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 7 18.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 35.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 29.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 5.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 8.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-12, 22:16   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Little Busters - Episode 14 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Little Busters, Episode 14.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-01-12, 22:32   Link #2
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Surprise: I really liked it. There was at least a brief hint of that old Key magic in Mio's last "confession" re: Midori and her request to Riki before vanishing. After that it got a little muddier, but I still liked it more than the derpy girl's arc. I really hope this is a sign of things to come, and not a high water mark.

Also, currently, I ship Riki with Mio... though I think she ships him with Kyosuke.

It's hard to tell exactly what's real and what's not. As we only briefly see Mio and Midori in the same place at one time, and Midori is an aspect of Mio's own self, it's theoretically possible that much of the supernatural element can be explained away if Riki's perception of events is shown to be unreliable. I did like that they explained Mio's relationship with Midori by showing how she had an aspect of herself that she'd externalized medicated away by well-meaning doctors, and that's what caused her "incomplete" state. I like that better than her just becoming "invisible" because she's been so long ignored by classmates.

Spoiler for Speculative aside:

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2013-01-12 at 22:47.
Old 2013-01-12, 22:40   Link #3
Masquerading Lunatic
Moe Lunatic

It wasn't a bad adaption. Mio's was the first route I played so it was really nice to see it animated. I never really found it emotional in the VN, and it was the same in the anime, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It just all went by so fast, but I guess that can't be helped! Gonna' miss Midori, though. She's always just so much fun.
Old 2013-01-12, 22:44   Link #4
Entravity

Favorite episode so far. I thought it was well done. Still, there are some unanswered questions but I'm sure we can draw some kind of conclusion from what's happened.
Old 2013-01-12, 22:55   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The best episode of the series as far as the intended message for the plot goes. Mio has been an enigma, and she remains an enigma even after the episode ends. Very good!
Old 2013-01-12, 23:10   Link #6
mistress_kisara

It's also my favorite episode! That's what I'm looking for in a Key show
Old 2013-01-13, 00:22   Link #7
garbage

best episode by far IMO for this series, really liked that ending when riki & mio were walking back and everyone joined them one by one and made it the ED ( it also reflects the same theme as the previews ED which i really liked), though i wonder how they could have known about the crisis, since riki was the only one who remembers right , oh well it was nice.
I'll just think that the member's might not have known about the specifics of any particular problem, but they're always there to support each other
Old 2013-01-13, 00:29   Link #8
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

For me, this was the best episode yet. It really hit the right notes for me, being dramatic but not delving into maudlin territory. The story and conclusion made a reasonable amount of sense, which is always a plus. I hope this is a sign of the strength of the source material, something I was a bit iffy about after the previous drama arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox
I really hope this is a sign of things to come, and not a high water mark.
Me too. I almost dropped the series after the first dramatic arc, but it got better in the following episodes. Definitely a high point here, looking forward to the other stories for sure (admittedly most interested in Kurugaya and Rin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage
I'll just think that the member's might not have known about the specifics of any particular problem, but they're always there to support each other
Seems to be a running theme with Little Busters.

Last edited by Sound of Azure; 2013-01-13 at 00:30. Reason: Added a point...
Old 2013-01-13, 03:45   Link #9
Ringil

Some of the shots in this episode were... pretty strange, in a bad way. Like that image of Riki holding his head...

On the other hand, I felt the story worked out pretty well, even without the romance aspect from the VN. I'm still sad Midori is gone, but Mio is acceptable. It was a little weird for Riki to go to such lengths to not want to forget Mio, but I feel like he's the kind of guy who places a very high value on friendship.
Old 2013-01-13, 04:45   Link #10
novalysis

Another Friendship route then....

Generally, I think the problem I had with this episode was it's pacing. Because the entire story sailed past so fast, it was very hard to connect with Midori.

Intellectually, this episode was satisfying, covering the topic of memory, and personalities. But emotionally, it just felt that there wasn't really time for the emotions to settle in. Nor was there time for us to truly empathize with Midori, who disappeared in the space of a single episode.
Old 2013-01-13, 06:17   Link #11
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Surprise: I really liked it. There was at least a brief hint of that old Key magic in Mio's last "confession" re: Midori and her request to Riki before vanishing. After that it got a little muddier, but I still liked it more than the derpy girl's arc. I really hope this is a sign of things to come, and not a high water mark.

Also, currently, I ship Riki with Mio... though I think she ships him with Kyosuke.

It's hard to tell exactly what's real and what's not. As we only briefly see Mio and Midori in the same place at one time, and Midori is an aspect of Mio's own self, it's theoretically possible that much of the supernatural element can be explained away if Riki's perception of events is shown to be unreliable. I did like that they explained Mio's relationship with Midori by showing how she had an aspect of herself that she'd externalized medicated away by well-meaning doctors, and that's what caused her "incomplete" state. I like that better than her just becoming "invisible" because she's been so long ignored by classmates.

Spoiler for Speculative aside:
I agree with everything you said (even the speculation, I think you may just be spot on there) even if I still find that the show has problems being subtle. Luckly for the show there was no need for subtlety today and the Key Drama Sledgehammer (tm) was free to do it's thing.

While the visuals weren't anything to write home about at least they didn't contradict the mood this time 'round and it was at least as good as Komari's last episode. I'm starting to sense a pattern of subpar second-to-last-episode/good last episode here.

The more I watch the show the more I feel like I should suck it up and play the VN at last.
Old 2013-01-13, 13:42   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This episode has rekindled my hope in the series. While this arc was by no way exceptional, it was a very solid Key-like story, which is what I came in for. It was a hundred times better than Komari's arc.

I have no clue how this compares to the VN, but I found no fault in the anime's execution this time. This arc could have used one more episode though. The emotional impact would have been greater.
Old 2013-01-13, 14:46   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think the narrative and execution was still a bit clumsy but that was a genuinely very good episode, and several leagues above anything else I've seen thus far.

And it couldn't have come at a better time because just two episodes ago, I had lost almost all interest in the this show and was ready to drop it...
Old 2013-01-13, 20:46   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That was a largely satisfying ending.

While I honestly found "Midori's" personality a bit more appealing/interesting than Mio's, I'm glad that Mio is the one to continue on (at least as the "dominant" personality) since Mio provides way more needed contrast to the other LB! girls than Midori would.

I liked the mischievous Midori that used clever words and little tricks to try to trip up Riki.

I liked how Riki had to use his wits here to resolve this particular problem - In particular, he had to recall the poem bit, and then search out the poem.

And I really like the Kamina/Simon vibe that I continue to get from Kyousuke/Riki.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:20   Link #15
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I kept laughing at completely random things in this episode... ah well, as long as I like the episode's overall story and find enjoyment in its execution, I consider it a win for the people behind it, and this is definitely a winner on both counts.

That being said, as much as I like Mio, I'm actually going to miss Midori... Ah well, as long as we don't forget her, and do not forget we cannot forget, she'll always be around, no?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2013-01-14, 01:33   Link #16
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I kept laughing at completely random things in this episode... ah well, as long as I like the episode's overall story and find enjoyment in its execution, I consider it a win for the people behind it, and this is definitely a winner on both counts.

That being said, as much as I like Mio, I'm actually going to miss Midori... Ah well, as long as we don't forget her, and do not forget we cannot forget, she'll always be around, no?
Ah yes, that reminds me of something I ironically forgot...

"I will not forget that I cannot forget!" stated Riki.

And with that, he is the proud new member of The Shirou Family!

Spoiler for The Shirou Family:

You made new friends with the Little Butsters!, Riki, and now you have a new family!
Old 2013-01-14, 03:25   Link #17
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Personally, I hated Midori for that matter... But at least this arc has ended.

Now that Midori and Mio finally combining together and becoming one, there's no need to favor one personality from another.
Old 2013-01-14, 06:50   Link #18
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That was a largely satisfying ending.

While I honestly found "Midori's" personality a bit more appealing/interesting than Mio's, I'm glad that Mio is the one to continue on (at least as the "dominant" personality) since Mio provides way more needed contrast to the other LB! girls than Midori would.

I liked the mischievous Midori that used clever words and little tricks to try to trip up Riki.

I liked how Riki had to use his wits here to resolve this particular problem - In particular, he had to recall the poem bit, and then search out the poem.

And I really like the Kamina/Simon vibe that I continue to get from Kyousuke/Riki.
Agreed regarding the episode.

I wonder if that Kamina/Simon vibe is intentional. This is a Key work. There is bound to be tragedy that will happen to Kyousuke. Something like Mentor Occupational Hazard...
Old 2013-01-14, 21:41   Link #19
kitten320

Looks like I was right, Midori was Mio's split personality aka her other self.

Duno, I didn't really like the arc. It seemed to miss something emotionally and we never really got to know Midori so I barely have any emotions towards her.

So far this is the poorest Key work =/

It simply doesn't have that emotional attachment as others did... and looks like next episode is a one shot again.
Old 2013-01-14, 22:21   Link #20
Masquerading Lunatic
Moe Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Looks like I was right, Midori was Mio's split personality aka her other self.

Duno, I didn't really like the arc. It seemed to miss something emotionally and we never really got to know Midori so I barely have any emotions towards her.

So far this is the poorest Key work =/

It simply doesn't have that emotional attachment as others did... and looks like next episode is a one shot again.
Split personality? That wasn't it at all. Midori was Mio's imaginary-friend-come-to-life. Either way, I kind of get what you mean, and lot of that probably just has to do with the direction/three-episode character arcs. I love Mio and her route, but I was never emotional while watching it, but I wasn't in the game either, so that much I could forgive.

Though I have to say, I think the one-shots/happy-fun-time episodes are important to at least try and build up some attachment to the cast.
Closed Thread