AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-08, 06:08   Link #61
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
The usual Western stereotype of badass characters are usually the ruff and sometimes overly muscular characters with a dark personality, not the "thin and lanky" types
Typical western hero is now balding or have the crew cut, stub is usually here.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 07:01   Link #62
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
>_>
So give me some examples then of western badass characters who are similar to the ones you see in animes?
The usual Western stereotype of badass characters are usually the ruff and sometimes overly muscular characters with a dark personality, not the "thin and lanky" types

The problem that i have with your thread is that your overgeneralization of anime main character in itself is shallow. Because most of this comes from your dislike of SAO and Accel World protagonists
Okay, overgeneralization is overgeneralization, but I thought that's not what I meant by "Western badass character archetype", but yes, I would agree that's the usual Western archetype.

I meant by "Western badass character archetype" he could beat every single enemy without breaking a sweat with no other explanation than "he's just that awesome."

Also, I'm getting annoyed at the perception that only dark characters can be interesting and if the character isn't dark, he's automatically dull no matter how good (morality or combat wise) he is.

That said, I think making an MC "Darker and Edgier" is a cheap way to make him interesting.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 08:42   Link #63
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

That's Duke Nukem I think. He is a freaking douche despite being the hero. I don't remember this type of characters in an anime as the hero.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 10:14   Link #64
judasmartel
*Author

It's not like that per se. What I mean is that I'm having the wrong impression that making a dark MC is the only way to make an interesting MC.

Many well-received MC's of today that I know of like Lelouch, Light, and Kiritsugu Emiya are considered as dark MC's or at least MC's with a dark background. I am thinking that they are popular basically because they are dark.

The rest that I know of are usually nice guys who are constantly bashed for being "boring" and "uninteresting". Although, I do see that Kamijou Touma is also well-received despite not being considered a "dark" character, but I also see that Accelerator, a dark MC, is much better received than Touma himself, just because he is "dark" and Touma is not.

SO, what IS an interesting MC for us, anyway? Is it really necessary to make an MC Darker and Edgier in order to make him more interesting?
Old 2013-02-11, 10:21   Link #65
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post

SO, what IS an interesting MC, anyway?
Which is rather a pointless question, because the answer is very subjective.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 10:23   Link #66
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Which is rather a pointless question, because the answer is very subjective
Yes, it is subjective, but what's appalling to me is that people bash others for having different views of what they consider an "interesting" character.

For example, zero-to-hero MC's. I watch them to see how they develop, but it seems to me that more and more people now prefer overpowered characters who are already badass and powerful right at the very start of the story, than those considered as "weak" characters.

The thing is, if a character is already flawless and perfect, then what else I could expect from him?

But I guess that's just me taking those comments at MAL very seriously.
Old 2013-02-11, 11:22   Link #67
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
It's not like that per se. What I mean is that I'm having the wrong impression that making a dark MC is the only way to make an interesting MC.
I think that's because some people prefer dark and edgy characters rather than relatable ones. Take Mobile Suit Gundam for example. The protagonist is an antisocial guy named Amuro Ray but he is nowhere as popular as the antagonist, Char Aznable, who seeks for revenge and is the series' most popular character.

Another example could Final Fantasy VI where Terra is viewed as nothing when compared with the crazy Kefka.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 12:11   Link #68
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Hence why it is subjective, one person may prefer Char Aznable style characters while another perosn may prefer Goku or Kenshiro types.
Old 2013-02-11, 21:32   Link #69
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:

SO, what IS an interesting MC for us, anyway? Is it really necessary to make an MC Darker and Edgier in order to make him more interesting?
I think it really depends on your own tastes, but for me....I guess I prefer MCS who are a little darker and flawed...

If they're too perfect, then they kind of run the risk of becoming Gary Stus...like Ichigo and the MC of SAO.
Old 2013-02-12, 06:12   Link #70
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I think it really depends on your own tastes, but for me....I guess I prefer MCS who are a little darker and flawed...
How about an MC that's flawed without being darker,is that ok?
Old 2013-02-12, 06:31   Link #71
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
How about an MC that's flawed without being darker,is that ok?
They're basically hated for being exactly that. If not done right, non-dark flawed MCs can be considered weak and useless. Therefore, Haruyuki Arita.
Old 2013-02-12, 08:27   Link #72
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
They're basically hated for being exactly that. If not done right, non-dark flawed MCs can be considered weak and useless. Therefore, Haruyuki Arita.
Will all due respect.
I was asking GDiddy about what she likes, not asking you about what you think others like.
Old 2013-02-12, 18:45   Link #73
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

If we get too much "insight" into the MC, then they have no chance to ever become a "badass".

A "badass" can only be someone who can surprise us, the audience, with something. But if the authors lay open all of the MCs thoughts, then it is impossible.

Example: Imagine every move Light (Death Note) made would be completly explained before he executed it. Wouldn't that make Light and even the whole show boring?