Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-06, 08:11   Link #201
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Wow 3 years since announcement lol. I wonder if the characters even look the same now as did they in the PV
Well, read back a page or two since Kiddy Girl-And was announced earlier this year. Technically speaking it isn't exactly the same show that was announced three years ago (changed titles, change production companies, etc. -- the original production died, and this is attempt #2), but many of the concepts and character designs seem to have survived the transition.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 12:51   Link #202
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, read back a page or two since Kiddy Girl-And was announced earlier this year. Technically speaking it isn't exactly the same show that was announced three years ago (changed titles, change production companies, etc. -- the original production died, and this is attempt #2), but many of the concepts and character designs seem to have survived the transition.
Depends how technical you're getting - the original title was always referred to as being provisional and the core staff remain the same. We'll probably never know the reason for the change of animation company, although I believe that to be the reason there was no news for a long time (Gotoh made some comment on his blog about being able to talk about it after the official announcement)
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 13:29   Link #203
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
So, they are making a sequel for that silly title. Man, they don;t read the signs, do they? Another title that is just a time-killer.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 14:32   Link #204
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
So, they are making a sequel for that silly title. Man, they don;t read the signs, do they? Another title that is just a time-killer.
Trolling aside, what "signs" would those be? The series sold pretty well both domestically and internationally. In this risk-averse market, why not go for a safer bet?

Anyway, if you have something to say, I'm sure you can do better than borderline trolling.
Old 2009-08-06, 15:14   Link #205
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
The series sold pretty well both domestically and internationally.
It's certainly been released on DVD four or five times in the US and twice in Japan (three times if you include the movies) and had at least two runs on Japanese TV. I also remember reading that the movies were sucessful, although the source may have been biased.

--edit--

Oh, and I'm really hoping the series won't follow the manga exactly, i.e. will not start off in a cafe or at least spend very little time there. Hopefully the manga serves as a prequel as the Pr. novels did for the first series and the anime will start after the manga finishes.
Old 2009-08-07, 00:03   Link #206
anomono

Ever since the K-G.2 pilot, I had been eagerly awaiting the new series. With the announcement though, that feeling has been significantly diminished. I hope the new series is decent, but even so, the disappointment will remain. I really liked the original characters and artwork.

I'm curious about other peoples' views; have there been any polls, and what was the general feeling over on 2chan?

By the way Shiroi Hane, I imagine it will be difficult to replace that tragic avatar of yours. If ever you tire of it...
anomono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 07:36   Link #207
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Trolling aside, what "signs" would those be? The series sold pretty well both domestically and internationally. In this risk-averse market, why not go for a safer bet?

Anyway, if you have something to say, I'm sure you can do better than borderline trolling.
I would add that this series is THE series which made people sit up and notice Hirano Aya. Haruhi? That was to be expected.
Old 2009-08-09, 08:15   Link #208
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Has the VAs been decided for the lead?
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 10:30   Link #209
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Not that I've heard. Would be interested in hearing suggestions for the new characters and should probably make some picks of my own.
Old 2009-08-13, 00:57   Link #210
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:

I found the series to be indeed for Kiddy Grade level of inteligence. It didn't made sense and the fan service was poor. I don't care if it sold well. Trash can sell well if consumers pay no attention to what they buy. What was good in it anyway? The cardboard duets of agents? The pathetic villains or the "let's make sand castles with our buckets final battle?"

Come on, there are better things to expect than this.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 01:06   Link #211
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Basically, you missed the whole Eclair back-story.

I admit: Many pairs of agents were not fleshed out properly. But, really, the show is about the system in place, and how individuals deal with it. It's not particularly deep, but it has some depth to it.
Old 2009-08-13, 11:34   Link #212
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I found the series to be indeed for Kiddy Grade level of inteligence. It didn't made sense and the fan service was poor. I don't care if it sold well. Trash can sell well if consumers pay no attention to what they buy. What was good in it anyway? The cardboard duets of agents? The pathetic villains or the "let's make sand castles with our buckets final battle?"

Come on, there are better things to expect than this.
Way to be, logic. "I didn't understand the show and didn't enjoy it, therefore it's trash that doesn't deserve a sequel, and those who enjoyed it aren't as discriminating as I am." The inherent folly of the statement needs no further clarification. Thankfully, the existence of this new anime doesn't preclude you from selecting from any number of other shows that will be airing this Fall, so I hope you're able to find a show that you do like instead.
Old 2009-08-21, 22:42   Link #213
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Apologies for the double post, but according to someone on 2ch, Ascoeur and Q-Feuille will be voiced by Mina and Uchida Aya. Pinch of salt and all that.
Old 2009-08-21, 23:39   Link #214
Mizuno
Undefined

Wow, two virtually unknown VA... this might be bad.
Old 2009-08-22, 02:58   Link #215
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Wow, two virtually unknown VA... this might be bad.
Now now, this show has quite a precedent in that regard...
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 03:56   Link #216
Mizuno
Undefined

Let's hope so. I'm still pleasantly surprised that it was Aya Hirano who voiced Lumiere, but damn Ryoko Nagata is not bad at all. I guess she just didn't stand out.
Old 2009-08-22, 08:24   Link #217
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I have to disagree: Nagata Ryoko was only average. In an industry where decent female VAs are a dime a dozen, she doesn't really stand out.
Old 2009-08-22, 08:55   Link #218
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The original Kiddy Grade was one of my all-time favorite animes. I simply loved the character designs, and its presentation of the far-flung future was an intriguing one; far from entirely dystopian, but with plenty of layers of corruption at the higher political levels.

If you took the reasonable number of characters and political intrigue of Kiddy Grade and combined it with the character fleshing out of Nanoha Striker S (and kept the strengths that both series share), you'd have what would quite possibly be my favorite anime of all time. It helps that I tend to see Eclair as being a lot like adult Nanoha.

Eclair's personal story really resonated with me for some reason, and the incredible plot twists that came in Episode 22 of the original anime just put that story over the top for me.

Spoiler:

All of that being said, I had pretty much given up on this anime - it seemed to be worst than even Haruhi at getting sequels off the ground.

Nice to see that it's finally coming, though! I very much look forward to Kiddy Girl.
Old 2009-08-22, 10:18   Link #219
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

gímík shows seem to have a tendency for casting relative unknowns in lead roles, although only Aya has gone on to later success (I don't think I've heard Yoda in anything else since, and I've only ever heard Ryoko as background characters in Azumanga. Masumi Asano would be the exception as she had some high profile roles before like Risa Harada and Black Rose and she still seems to puttering on).
You could say the same for the music - I think Uta Kata was Savage Genius' first anime and they've gone on to do many other series since.
Old 2009-08-22, 19:07   Link #220
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Actually, having rookies to voice lead characters isn't anything new. To "balance" this, you can bet that the supporting cast would be darn solid. It's a "one strike and you're out" thing. If the rookie VAs don't make an impression in this debut, chances are they'll fade away very quickly.

You have Ane-san herself, Ishida Akira, Omi Minami, Tobita Nobuo and Waka-freaking-moto Norio himself among the support cast.