AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-06-09, 10:16   Link #2201
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Do I smell another Shaloom debacle, here?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 10:46   Link #2202
rainrix

I just watched Evangelion 2.22,
Can anybody explain the behavior of Kaji towards Shjin ? I think it was pretty disturbing. And what is it with Gendo, is he a pedophile. How do you see the final scene, is Shinji doing it with Rei? Kaoru seals them with the spear of Longinus, does it mean they are married now?
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 11:10   Link #2203
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Kaiji was just being a joker, nothing more to it really. That's just his personality.

Gendo is obsessed with Rei because Rei is (As far as we know from the original series if this still holds) essentially the clone of Yui, his wife.

I wouldn't try to interpret the relationship between Rei and Shinji as one of love between a man and a woman, but like the love of two siblings.

Nowhere in the movie does Shinji really blush when he is around Rei. Rei is not even capable of understanding why she cares for Shinji, but she does know that Shinji makes her feel like when she is with Gendo, and that is the feel of family.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 12:23   Link #2204
rainrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Kaiji was just being a joker, nothing more to it really. That's just his personality.

Gendo is obsessed with Rei because Rei is (As far as we know from the original series if this still holds) essentially the clone of Yui, his wife.

I wouldn't try to interpret the relationship between Rei and Shinji as one of love between a man and a woman, but like the love of two siblings.

Nowhere in the movie does Shinji really blush when he is around Rei. Rei is not even capable of understanding why she cares for Shinji, but she does know that Shinji makes her feel like when she is with Gendo, and that is the feel of family.
Unfortunately Kaiji is not joking, there is an allegory, right after he ask him to go on date, they are in the secret garden of Kaiji, digging potatoes and talking about pain and pleasure. I think it's pretty disgusting to shove this kind of material down spectators throat.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:25   Link #2205
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrix View Post
Unfortunately Kaiji is not joking, there is an allegory, right after he ask him to go on date, they are in the secret garden of Kaiji, digging potatoes and talking about pain and pleasure. I think it's pretty disgusting to shove this kind of material down spectators throat.
No...he was joking. He already has two girls, I highly doubt he was serious about that.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:31   Link #2206
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Maybe you don't ever make jokes with your friends like that, but I know when I'm with a bunch of guys there are often gay jokes flying around... It's of the same nature.

Kaiji is clearly in love with Misato, so there is no reason to speculate anything further really.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:34   Link #2207
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Do I smell another Shaloom debacle, here?
No, thank goodness... There's no crazy fan here making up stuff and passing it off as true. Just normal mix-ups and tricks of memory and all that.

Although Gainax certainly hasn't helped with their contradictory accounts of what happened...
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 12:43   Link #2208
rainrix

Quote:
Maybe you don't ever make jokes with your friends like that, but I know when I'm with a bunch of guys there are often gay jokes flying around... It's of the same nature.

Kaiji is clearly in love with Misato, so there is no reason to speculate anything further really.
They wanted to insert homo erotic stuff, Kaiji's jokes are only an excuse. Aa Kaoru don't interact with them they had to find someone else. Just like what they did with Asuka, she replaced Toji in the infected Eva.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:47   Link #2209
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Quote:

Well right now Shinji doesn't know that Rei is a part clone of his mome (and we don't know if that's been changed or not) So it could go either way. Hey, I'll just be happy if she gets out of this alive this time.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:47   Link #2210
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
They wanted to insert homo erotic stuff, Kaiji's jokes are only an excuse. Aa Kaoru don't interact with them they had to find someone else. Just like what they did with Asuka, she replaced Toji in the infected Eva.
Karou wasn't even gay, he wasn't even a human so he couldn't be... He simply loved humans.

I really don't understand what you are trying to get at unless you are trying to troll. If they wanted to insert a homosexuality joke, is there really a problem? I don't see it as one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativedark View Post
Well right now Shinji doesn't know that Rei is a part clone of his mome (and we don't know if that's been changed or not) So it could go either way. Hey, I'll just be happy if she gets out of this alive this time.
Yeah, but there is no real indication here in this movie that suggests that Shinji truly sees Rei as a woman the same way he sees Asuka, and maybe even Misato.But it's possible that this could change.
Old 2010-06-09, 12:53   Link #2211
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I dunno, man...it sounds to me like you're inventing an issue to get upset about, and then getting upset about the issue you've invented.

Kaji was joking around. That's how he is, that's how he's always been. He's always done the "I'll screw anything that moves" schtick, even though he'd never actually act on it. And he offered to take Shinji out "for tea or something" in the TV series...which is a standard Japanese pick-up line ("Ne, Ojousan...ocha demo dou?").
Old 2010-06-09, 12:55   Link #2212
rainrix

I'm wondering if you watched this movie literally or do you get allegories?
Old 2010-06-09, 12:59   Link #2213
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I'm wondering if you watched this movie literally or do you get allegories?
I'm not sure what you mean by that...what's the allegory here? What concepts are being anthropomorphized?
Old 2010-06-09, 13:04   Link #2214
rainrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by that...what's the allegory here? What concepts are being anthropomorphized?
Are you talking about the whole serie or about Kaiji?
Old 2010-06-09, 13:07   Link #2215
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Are you talking about the whole serie or about Kaiji?
I dunno...you brought it up...
Old 2010-06-09, 13:13   Link #2216
rainrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I dunno...you brought it up...
That's right , I only wanted to talk about the movie and browsed some pages. It looked like people only talk about superficial elements of the serie, it's disappointing.
Old 2010-06-09, 13:16   Link #2217
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
That's right , I only wanted to talk about the movie and browsed some pages. It looked like people only talk about superficial elements of the serie, it's disappointing.
Again, I think you're trying to create a hidden agenda in a scene that has none, but whatever.
Old 2010-06-09, 13:29   Link #2218
rainrix

Yeah there is no agenda and anything at all going on here.
Old 2010-06-09, 13:36   Link #2219
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Yeah there is no agenda and anything at all going on here.
That's not what I'm saying...

Obviously, Evangelion (like all good stories) has a point of view and certain ideas it wants to communicate.

But okay...I'll bite. What makes you think Kaji is seriously trying to seduce Shinji?
Old 2010-06-09, 13:46   Link #2220
rainrix

I'm not saying Kaiji is serious about it, but they deliberately put homo stuff in that scene, like I said they go on dat in Kaiji's secret garden , digging potatoes and talking about pain and pleasure. I just wondered if i was the only one bugged by this.

Tags
movie, remake