AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-12-08, 21:43   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

The Dubbing of Code Geass

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of Code Geass.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 21:49   Link #2
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
JYB as Lelouch... feh. Might work, might not. Should've gone to Yuri and JYB be Suzaku, rather than the other way round.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 22:00   Link #3
solomon

Heh, is that ZRO Limit work?

I only midly like the show, but it's got a great dub cast lined up, which will make it very accessible. OH LORD HOW THE NOOBS WILL EAT IT UP!!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 00:52   Link #4
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Heh, is that ZRO Limit work?

I only midly like the show, but it's got a great dub cast lined up, which will make it very accessible. OH LORD HOW THE NOOBS WILL EAT IT UP!!
Vice versa how the average otaku will make "my ears are bleeding" comments like its the worst thing that has ever happened in the whole wide world.
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 01:32   Link #5
solomon

HAHAHAA, but seriously. ANN said it will be airing on adult swim, so a good dub will help its accessability to casual viewers.
Old 2007-12-09, 04:43   Link #6
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
English Voice Actors for Code Geass have been Chosen

The English Language cast is as follows:

Lelouch: Johnny Yong Bosch

C2 (CC): Kate Higgins

Kallen: Karen Strassman

Suzaku Kururugi: Yuri Lowenthal

Lloyd: Liam O'Brien

Tohdoh: Steven Blum

Bartley: Peter Spellos

Clovis: Dave Wittenberg

Emperor: Michael McConnohie

Shirley: Amy Kincaid

Milly: Julie Ann Taylor

Nina & Sayoko: Kim Mai Guest

LINK: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...007/code-geass

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 07:59   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioshinobi View Post
English Voice Actors for Code Geass have been Chosen

The English Language cast is as follows:

Lelouch: Johnny Yong Bosch

C2 (CC): Kate Higgins

Kallen: Karen Strassman

Suzaku Kururugi: Yuri Lowenthal

Lloyd: Liam O'Brien

Tohdoh: Steven Blum

Bartley: Peter Spellos

Clovis: Dave Wittenberg

Emperor: Michael McConnohie

Shirley: Amy Kincaid

Milly: Julie Ann Taylor

Nina & Sayoko: Kim Mai Guest

LINK: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...007/code-geass
a dub ya that means i can buyt he dvd's in about a year XD ieck!
not that i'm going to watch the dub anyhow :x
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 10:14   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

Anyway nice English dub cast, thank god they went with Zero Limit and L.A talent instead of Ocean. Doubt I'll watch the English version on the DVDs (Japanese cast is stellar) but it looks like it will avoid being cringe worthy which will help in keeping an audience on AS.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 11:45   Link #9
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
JYB as Lelouch... feh. Might work, might not. Should've gone to Yuri and JYB be Suzaku, rather than the other way round.
Yeah I agree with this, JYB's voice has that "good guy" (or wannabe good guy in Suzaku's case) quality to it and he was the first person I thought of to play Suzaku. Oh well, would have to hear it before making a real judgment on it.

I think Crispin Freeman would have been good as Lelouch too, disappointed to not see him anywhere on that list. On the other hand I think Liam O'Brien as Llyod is perfect, I could not see him being played by anyone else.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 12:00   Link #10
flou
That's no lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Yeah I agree with this, JYB's voice has that "good guy" (or wannabe good guy in Suzaku's case) quality to it and he was the first person I thought of to play Suzaku. Oh well, would have to hear it before making a real judgment on it.
Before we continue this debate any further, I need to make a few points as to why I have some hope for this dub.

1) Lelouch was Fukuyama Jun's first major role as an antagonistic character. Prior to that, he had been relatively typecast in to the "good guy roles." (See Albert from Gankutsuou, Watanuki from XXXHolic, etc.)

2) Same goes for Sakurai Takahiro, Suzaku's VA, who was typecast into the "bad guy" roles. Before Geass came out, people were wondering why Lelouch and Suzaku's VAs weren't switched. (See Ray from GunXSword, Kanda from D.Gray-Man, etc.)

3) Taniguchi Goro supervised the English casting decisions. He did the same thing for the Japanese casting, so I have hope he made the right decisions.

And yes, I had to bold and enlarge the font. Almost everytime I post an answer to someone's question, it goes by ignored
-___-;;;;
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 12:08   Link #11
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Well, like I said, I'll have to wait until I actually hear it to really decide. But I have heard JYB in so many dubs and he has not only been the "good guy" but has had almost exactly the same voice with some very minor differences (slightly more whiny for Renton, slightly tougher for Ichigo) in every one. The fact that the original director supervised the casting is promising, but I am still slightly worried about this role.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 12:17   Link #12
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flou View Post
Before we continue this debate any further, I need to make a few points as to why I have some hope for this dub.

1) Lelouch was Fukuyama Jun's first major role as an antagonistic character. Prior to that, he had been relatively typecast in to the "good guy roles." (See Albert from Gankutsuou, Watanuki from XXXHolic, etc.)

2) Same goes for Sakurai Takahiro, Suzaku's VA, who was typecast into the "bad guy" roles. Before Geass came out, people were wondering why Lelouch and Suzaku's VAs weren't switched. (See Ray from GunXSword, Kanda from D.Gray-Man, etc.)

3) Taniguchi Goro supervised the English casting decisions. He did the same thing for the Japanese casting, so I have hope he made the right decisions.

And yes, I had to bold and enlarge the font. Almost everytime I post an answer to someone's question, it goes by ignored
-___-;;;;
I don't know...having had a taste of Bosch's "evil" voice from one of the Card Captor Sakura movies, I still can't really picture it. (actually, speaking of Bosch, isn't he working on DMC4 right now?)

ah well, nothing to do put have a look in the next few months. I can't really picture it matching the kind of quality the original cast had, but dubs are always intriguing.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 18:59   Link #13
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
Personally I'd rather have Suzaku Va and Lelouch switch...

Considering Yuri's voice in .hack and Sasuke in Naruto..he just seems much more fit to be evil compared to Nero from Devil may cry and power rangers..

o.o;

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 19:15   Link #14
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioshinobi View Post
.he just seems much more fit to be evil compared to Nero from Devil may cry and power rangers..

o.o;
What about Claire from Heat Guy J. That guy was psycho and Bosch stole the show as him. We're talking, throws grenades at his dad's grave when introduced in the series psycho

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2007-12-10 at 05:40.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 01:23   Link #15
Asrialys

I wonder how they'll pronounce C.C. and V.V.'s names. Despite pronouncing it Shi Tsu and Vui Tsu, they spelled the names as C.C. and V.V. respectively, right? I can only assume their reasoning was that it would have sounded odd with Shi Shi and Vui Vui (or at least V.V.'s does)? Or perhaps there is something important behind the naming convention within the story?

Do you think the dub will keep to the spoken names in the Japanese version, or will they pronounce the names the way they're officially spelled?

It's nothing really that important (probably), but just something I'm curious about. Doesn't matter either way for me though.
Old 2007-12-10, 09:53   Link #16
flou
That's no lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
I wonder how they'll pronounce C.C. and V.V.'s names. Despite pronouncing it Shi Tsu and Vui Tsu, they spelled the names as C.C. and V.V. respectively, right? I can only assume their reasoning was that it would have sounded odd with Shi Shi and Vui Vui (or at least V.V.'s does)? Or perhaps there is something important behind the naming convention within the story?

Do you think the dub will keep to the spoken names in the Japanese version, or will they pronounce the names the way they're officially spelled?

It's nothing really that important (probably), but just something I'm curious about. Doesn't matter either way for me though.
They'll probably say C2 and V2 because that's how it's meant to be pronounced.
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 19:28   Link #17
FireChick

Bandai said DVDs might come out next summer.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 21:38   Link #18
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Code Geass has been announced to air on Adult swim some time in 2008
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...lt-swim-in-usa
Old 2007-12-11, 03:55   Link #19
solomon

AS, huh? Well it's the best game in town to get at least 100k viewers so, why not?
Old 2007-12-11, 12:49   Link #20
digi.amuro

Dont know if this was posted, but the official US site is open now

code-geass.bandai-ent.com

The stuff they have up so far:

Characters profiles: Lulu, Suzaku, Kallen, CC, Ohgi, Lloyd, Cecile
Knightmares: Lancelot and Glasgow
Staff and Cast: (Japanese)