AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-28, 17:53   Link #1
7thMethuselah

Get Backers Manga

I just finished the first volume of GB manga and I am quite dissapointed. I expected something like the anime but I was wrong. A short review on the first volume

Art : pretty well done, a bit confusing in the action scenes (but this is often the case in manga), but NO CHIBIS . The humorous parts of GB were so cool in the anime and in the manga they aren't all that good, this was quite a setback. Also excessive ecchi at times, I'm used to seeing some fanservice in a manga every once in a while but the woman have bra-cups which aren't even in the alphabet, a bit too much if you ask me, although i like ecchi in this manga it was just completely out-of-place...

Story: A bit too early to tell but they just gave 1 episode I've allready seen in the anime (in a slightly different version)

Characters : so far no sidecharacters have been shown yet (apart from the Hevn and the barkeeper but those hardly said anything) so just Ginji and Ban and they acted pretty much as their usual self (apart from the fact that Ginji actually seemed to have some self-confidence compared to the anime ).

Well, I am gonna try the next volume for sure but if the humor doesn't improve and if they keep throwing in unneeded excessive fanservice this manga will quickly be dumped.

Any comments, thoughts, ... feel free to react

Last edited by 7thMethuselah; 2004-03-01 at 16:10.
Old 2004-02-28, 18:15   Link #2
Spooky-Electric

TokyoPop ruined this manga with the crappy dailogue. I hate how they made the dialogue "hip".

Some examples:

"You're 'bout to see some trippy haps."

"My blood sugars all whacked."

"Shut yer hole BRO!"

"Ima get you suckas!"
Old 2004-02-28, 18:43   Link #3
megacoolspot

yea i agreed... eventhought the 2 main guy are pretty punky. They over did the dialogue. I never watch the anime version. Was the dub / subtitle much better?

imho, its rare to see a manga series loses to the anime counterpart in a content race.
Old 2004-02-28, 18:49   Link #4
Spooky-Electric

Yeah, the anime is much better because the subtitles don't have crappy dialogue like that at ALL.

The sad thing is that the GetBackers manga is widely regarded as better than the anime, but because of what TokyoPop has done to the manga's dialogue I think the anime is superior.
Old 2004-02-28, 19:10   Link #5
eLstar
(^_^)v

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=6969

I already posted a thread like this. You should use the search feature.

Sway, if you're reading this, could you kindly merge both threads together?
Old 2004-02-28, 23:24   Link #6
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
They need people who already know Japanese to translate instead of amatuers who don't know anything. Amatuers translate the English version and when they get to a part that they can't figure out, they make up words and sentences.

They tend to use English slang which really ruins the manga (as well as the anime in some cases) too.
Old 2004-02-28, 23:46   Link #7
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Changing the dialouge when it's not importnt to the story doesn't bother me at the least bit,so I find the manga supierior.
Old 2004-02-29, 01:09   Link #8
Trin
Sasumi ownz!!

since i've only the read the manga in japanese i have to say that i really liked it. sure, there's a lot of groping heaven (and her corset thing top seems to defy all laws of common-sense). but ginji is so cute when he turns chibi and glomps some random person
besides, once makubex turns up and shit hits the fan, it's all good. besides juube-kun and kazuki are totally cute.
Old 2004-03-01, 15:17   Link #9
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youko Recca
Changing the dialouge when it's not importnt to the story doesn't bother me at the least bit,so I find the manga supierior.
agreed
GetBackers does kind of stretch the dialogue a bit...but knowing tokyopop they'll get sick of printing it like that anyway and make it a bit more normal
Old 2004-03-01, 23:26   Link #10
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
TokyoPop ruined this manga with the crappy dailogue. I hate how they made the dialogue "hip".

Some examples:

"You're 'bout to see some trippy haps."

"My blood sugars all whacked."

"Shut yer hole BRO!"

"Ima get you suckas!"
Indeed, but nothing new there... those braindead fuckturds at TokyoPop totally ruined just any manga this far with their atrocious "translations" (somehow that word isn't quite right here)
I'm just glad that at least some of the series (including Get Backers) are also avaiable here in Germany, where I don't have to put up with that crap and get a faithful translation in an unmirrored, skillfully retouched manga
Old 2004-03-01, 23:30   Link #11
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina Inverse
Indeed, but nothing new there... those braindead fuckturds at TokyoPop totally ruined just any manga this far with their atrocious "translations" (somehow that word isn't quite right here)
It's also possible that the translator translated it correctly and the oh-so-sensible editor decided that the original text wasn't quite "hip" enough for the series, hence the dumb changes. I was SO going to buy this manga too, but as it is I'll just get it in Japanese instead.
Old 2004-03-01, 23:47   Link #12
Spooky-Electric

It's true that Tokyopop's poor translation of GetBackers doesn't necessarily affect the story, but what it DOES affect is the characters. And when I read Ban-chan and Ginji talking like a couple of retards from a bad rap video I find it really hard to like them.

The only good thing about Tokyopop's translation is that the kept the honorifics. Ginji saying "Ban-chan" is a must.
Old 2004-03-02, 02:27   Link #13
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

just wondering, why do all the characters have moles?
Old 2004-03-03, 04:26   Link #14
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Hi..is the GB manga only released in japanese?
Old 2004-03-03, 12:21   Link #15
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
Hi..is the GB manga only released in japanese?
No Tokyopop has the english version, the first one was released in europe about a month ago
Old 2004-03-03, 13:48   Link #16
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Volume 1 was released by tokyopop in February
Volume 2 is due in early april
i predict the editor will have given up on the street slang by volume 3 or 4
Old 2004-09-04, 12:19   Link #17
7thMethuselah

I finally got around reading volumes 2 and 3, I didn't like the first one due to unneeded ecchiness and the horrible street slang. But somehow i managed to enjoy the following volumes, I'm under the impression that the translation improves in volume three, ecchiness stays but only pops up every once in a while, action is taking over. I have no idea how many volumes are out by now, but does anyone know if the GetBackers manga ends as abruptly as the anime did? I'm kinda hoping the manga is better in that field.
Old 2004-09-04, 12:38   Link #18
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
I'v never seen the anime, but I think the getbackers manga is great. I have no problem with the dialogue either.
Old 2004-09-04, 12:56   Link #19
andromeda

Tokyopop just put out vol 4 in August, vol 5 is due out mid october. The first volume's translation was really crappy, but its getting a lot better (especially now that they've figured out that kazuki is NOT a woman) I believe someone from tokyopop apologized for some of the dubious translations over on the animeondvd forums a while back.

The manga supposedly doesn't end like the anime, from what i've heard, it carries on the story.
Old 2004-09-04, 13:09   Link #20
Mazus

The manga is still going. Currently around 26 volumes or so.
Closed Thread