AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-05, 10:53   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsocce View Post
With the rise of legal anime streaming (crunchyroll, hulu, funimation etc...) has there been a decrease in fansubbing? (i.e. less fansub groups now than before?)

A decrease in the number of fansub downloads? (i.e. some people who used to rely on fansubs are now using legal streaming instead?)

This thread was created on January 18, 2009. This is almost 2 years later. I wonder what it will be in 3 years time as denote by the thread title The future of fansubs (5 years from now): Same as today? Less? Significantly less?

Will there be significant changes?

p.s. Hulu revenue by year

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1AA4DMzCm

2008: $25 mil
2009: $108 mil
2010: $240 mil
2011: ????

Hulu now has a $7.99 subscription service titled Hulu Plus.

The future of anime distribution worldwide is look likely to be done through Digital Streaming (free with ads and premium service with more selection and no/few ads). It will get there eventually.
You don't actually *read* what anyone writes here, do you?
Old 2011-11-02, 02:44   Link #82
bigsocce

have fansubs decrease due to the rise of legal video streaming?

for example, less people making fansubs and less people watching fansubs

instead, they rely on legal streaming service like crunchyroll, hulu, netflix, etc...
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 02:57   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

for example, less people making fansubs and less people watching fansubs

instead, they rely on legal streaming service like crunchyroll, hulu, netflix, etc...
Why don't you do some research and get back to us rather than just botting the same 2 or 3 posts repeatedly every year?
Old 2011-11-02, 09:53   Link #84
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

If fansubbing dies, we will back to our old DVD/VHS days, just like in 1990's an early 2000's.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 13:30   Link #85
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
What about the future of fansubs if Japan signs to be involved in that copyright law?
Old 2011-11-02, 13:39   Link #86
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Why don't you do some research and get back to us rather than just botting the same 2 or 3 posts repeatedly every year?
Like Vexx, I'll be looking forward to your report, bigsocce.

II'll even point you in the right direction to start. Oh, and there's this as well. For a database of fansubs including both licensed and unlicensed content there's a certain "baka" site out there that doesn't have a "BT" in its name.

I'm guessing that the number of fansubs for shows carried on the streaming services has declined. Still there certainly are subs for those shows so just counting titles doesn't tell the full picture. You'd need to examine download counts as well.

Region-locking substantially limits the substitution effect of streaming. You may find that worldwide download counts haven't changed much at all. Make sure you cast your net wide, too. I'd expect rather different effects for Naruto, Usagi Drop, Chihayafuru, and Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-11-02 at 13:57.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 14:03   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If we're going to try to make this thread useful... over the last five years things have actually gotten worse for streaming - due to the antics of the ISPs owned by cable companies and "content guardians". They see streaming as a direct threat to cable channels and *their* entertainment (loss of eyeballs) so they've been instituting practices like monthly transfer caps and throttling. Then there's the telcos, that are fighting tooth'n'nail to *avoid* upgrading their infrastructure - which results in over half the US not having anything one can remotely call "broadband" and they have their usage caps as well.

We could then talk about the lack of stream quality .... resolution, stuttering, too few servers trying to handle too many requests. Then we could talk about the "pseudo-licensing" (we'll stream it but we won't offer DVDs and we might take it down randomly).

We could talk about *what* gets streamed (oh, its not one of the "big 10", no you don't get that... or "oh we decided to stop streaming that" tough shit for you).

The Funimation/Nico deal is the first small creaking notion of getting to what I'd call interesting but there's still the 800 pound gorilla in the room called "infrastructure" in the US and it has a hammer.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-11-02 at 18:01.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 16:49   Link #88
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
If fansubbing dies, we will back to our old DVD/VHS days, just like in 1990's an early 2000's.
With 70% of the series any season being streamed legally? Not even close.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 23:15   Link #89
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm guessing that the number of fansubs for shows carried on the streaming services has declined. Still there certainly are subs for those shows so just counting titles doesn't tell the full picture. You'd need to examine download counts as well.
I wouldn't even call those fansubs since quite a few of the fansub groups just rip the subs from the official stream.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 10:20   Link #90
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Unlikely. Stuff like simulcast then freestream one episode for one week like nicovideo did is a step in the right direction. For one, you can sample the series you may like and consider to support.

As pointed out by Vexx, the biggest obstacle are the local infrastructure of each country. While not as bad in the majority of Europe, it gets very uneven in USA. I mean, I was flabbergasted when I heard about speed cap or download limit/a month, something we have not heard in France since the late 1990s early 2000s even before broadband was spreading.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 11:25   Link #91
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

As pointed out by Vexx, the biggest obstacle are the local infrastructure of each country.
It is a major factor yeah.

I myself know someone that's had to almost entirely stop following currently airing anime because it takes him three or four hours to get most new anime episodes due to such internet infrastructure concerns. It's pretty sad, really.

If the size of your average anime episode download gets much larger, I also am going to start feeling the pinch. Right now, it takes me about 60 to 90 minutes to download most modern anime episodes (in any quality higher than 360p, anyway), and streams I have to give some time to load before I can start watching.
Old 2011-11-03, 18:41   Link #92
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Personally I think it's about time that fansubs die out and we make way for affordable legal subs. The benefits almost seem overwhelming at this point compared to where fansubs are right now. You've got better quality and more accurate subs typically, a better overall selection, various streaming options, quick uploads, and the single most important factor....no lame trolling.

I mean my god, it's like almost all fansubbers are coming across as vaguely to outright trollish these days and drama between and within groups almost seems to take priority over just doing decent subs and having a good community nowadays. It's to the point where I'm more than willing to pay for and subscribe to sites like Crunchyroll or Hulu simply because they shut the hell up, do their subbing and streaming, and contribute to the industry and anime fandom in general instead of just feeding their own ego. So yeah wouldn't shed a tear if fansubs give way to the legal option completely in the next 5 or so years.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 19:12   Link #93
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
affordable legal subs
Will they all be as competent as the most decent fansubbers around?
Whatever happens though, I'll still go for fansubs, since being always region-locked is suffering.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:57   Link #94
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I dunno about english or your home countrys language, but the french subs at nico came up as readable and decent, and I have been really demanding regarding the quality of the french language used in sub, coming as far as deleting episodes and not checking some groups ever again because they did not translate the way I would have translated.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 23:03   Link #95
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Personally I think it's about time that fansubs die out and we make way for affordable legal subs. The benefits almost seem overwhelming at this point compared to where fansubs are right now. You've got better quality and more accurate subs typically, a better overall selection, various streaming options, quick uploads, and the single most important factor....no lame trolling.

I mean my god, it's like almost all fansubbers are coming across as vaguely to outright trollish these days and drama between and within groups almost seems to take priority over just doing decent subs and having a good community nowadays. It's to the point where I'm more than willing to pay for and subscribe to sites like Crunchyroll or Hulu simply because they shut the hell up, do their subbing and streaming, and contribute to the industry and anime fandom in general instead of just feeding their own ego. So yeah wouldn't shed a tear if fansubs give way to the legal option completely in the next 5 or so years.
Trolling as in fansub drama, or trolling as in inserting out of place in jokes into the subs? Because I've definitely encountered the latter on Crunchyroll, with the added annoyance of the fact its supposed to be a professional translation.

Also, I really wish CR would bring the number of blocking artifacts in their encodes of shows with dark scenes in line with what I've seen in fansubs the past couple years. Blocking is one of those video artifacts that I find very, very annoying.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 23:34   Link #96
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I doubt fansubs will die since even though there are laws banning it which were formulated years ago, all that's being done is banning some streaming sites (which can get bypassed easily) or complementing it with alternatives like Crunchyroll or Hulu (which are also getting trolled by HorribleSubs).

For now fansubs are pretty unstoppable. Fansubs are very ideal since the subbers aren't paid; its a passion.
Old 2011-11-04, 02:50   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Trolling as in fansub drama, or trolling as in inserting out of place in jokes into the subs? Because I've definitely encountered the latter on Crunchyroll, with the added annoyance of the fact its supposed to be a professional translation.

Also, I really wish CR would bring the number of blocking artifacts in their encodes of shows with dark scenes in line with what I've seen in fansubs the past couple years. Blocking is one of those video artifacts that I find very, very annoying.
Aye... "professional" is something I don't think of with Crunchyroll.... their translations sometimes border on "disrespectful localizations" (sometimes obliterating the scene in favor of a troll haha) and the video encoding sucks on darkness.

And "professional" doesn't mean "better" it just means "we got paid to do it" .. if they don't *care* - it will suck, professional or not.
Old 2011-11-04, 12:23   Link #98
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

And the really sad part is, I'm sure that most of those subs have to be approved by the licensors...
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 13:13   Link #99
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

Moreso the former, but a bit of the latter. It's at it's worst when they're putting their little fansub drama comments in before the episode during the sponsor sections. It's just like who the fuck cares that's watching the show? I'd assume most people are there for the show and not for the fansub group (though sometimes I have to wonder when it comes to certain groups) so I don't understand why some groups try to make it about themselves. I'd name some names, but I'd assume people know the ones I'm talking about and this thread isn't about calling groups out.

I don't know, I see a lot of people defending fansubs still, I mean I guess as long as they get their free stuff nice and easy it's okay, but personally I hate where fansubs are right now in terms of culture and the atmosphere they foster and would rather just go with the group that does the least amount of shit-talking and has the most decent subs, which usually ends up being one of the legal ones like Crunchyroll. Plus some fansubbers insert their own little memes and bad jokes into episodes which frankly is a lot worse than any of the localizations that might occur on the likes of Crunchyroll.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote