Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-07, 19:08   Link #1401
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I actually think its a combination of both yuri and non-yuri fans.

On the one hand you have those who think this is nothing but tiring service and on the other you have the ones say theres not enough legitimate yuri present to warrant attention.
Right. There's not enough yuri to satisfy yuri fans that have little-to-no interest in mecha action, and there's not enough serious mecha action to satisfy mecha fans that have little-to-no interest in yuri.

I'm inclined to think that you almost have to like both mecha and yuri (as I do) in order to like this show.

This isn't like Saki, where there's enough yuri for yuri lovers that couldn't care less about mahjong, and enough mahjong for mahjong lovers that couldn't care less about yuri.

Finally, I think that the split-cour format might have hurt this show a bit. Because of how neat and tidy its first season ended, I think it lacked the sort of momentum for the start of the second season that a more cliffhanger-esque first season ending would have provided.
Old 2012-08-07, 20:21   Link #1402
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Finally, I think that the split-cour format might have hurt this show a bit. Because of how neat and tidy its first season ended, I think it lacked the sort of momentum for the start of the second season that a more cliffhanger-esque first season ending would have provided.

Now that you've mentioned it the little break between seasons did cause the show to take a bit of a hit. As evident by the number of people here who came back to watch the second half.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-08-07 at 21:04.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 20:32   Link #1403
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Now that you've mentioned it the little break between season did cause the to take a bit of a hit. As evident by the number of people here who came back to watch the second half.
Yeah, this thread was way more active during Lagrange's first season.

It's a shame, in a way, because I'm honestly finding Season 2 more impressive than Season 1, so far.
Old 2012-08-07, 21:12   Link #1404
Dark Wing

Quote:
Yeah, this thread was way more active during Lagrange's first season.

It's a shame, in a way, because I'm honestly finding Season 2 more impressive than Season 1, so far.
yea I never quite liked the whole split-cour thing anime companies have been doing recently I know it's supposed to help save money and all but long enough wait and could lose you entire fan base. Look at Shana for example when that series first aired it had a cult following but by the time we got around to Shana III everyone moved on to other stuff and didn't seem to really care anymore.

Naturally Shana was a different case altogether because the wait was to prevent continuity problems with the ending buy for orgianl series with no source material they should start looking at the per-orders for the DVDs/BDs and depending on the numbers decide if you want a do split-cour or not. After all if people are liking your program that much shouldn't you be investing into it while it's still hot.
Old 2012-08-08, 03:17   Link #1405
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

body swap.............................................. ...................sighs
Old 2012-08-08, 03:23   Link #1406
Gohan78
Awakened One

I think that the biggest fault of this show is that they build up these huge climatic battles but then nothing happens. Some nameless grunts die, some flowers bloom and then everything goes back to the status quo. It happened twice in the first season (especially the first time I never understood why Villagiulio's troops retreated when the three Voxes fell into the ocean. What better chance to destroy them?).

Lag-Rin does the comedic parts really well and it has a ton of fun characters but it fails when it comes to the main plot.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 03:28   Link #1407
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I think that the biggest fault of this show is that they build up these huge climatic battles but then nothing happens. Some nameless grunts die, some flowers bloom and then everything goes back to the status quo. It happened twice in the first season (especially the first time I never understood why Villagiulio's troops retreated when the three Voxes fell into the ocean. What better chance to destroy them?).

Lag-Rin does the comedic parts really well and it has a ton of fun characters but it fails when it comes to the main plot.
i can agree with most of that post, and all the other bad comments plp seem to have about this show,

But

for some reason that i myself cant put into words i still think this is the best anime this season i just really love it! i always get hyper when monday comes around ^^
Old 2012-08-08, 03:34   Link #1408
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I don't think it fails completely when it comes to the main story which is a war between to factions with Madoka caught in the middle. So I don't think the plot has failed because it has yet to lose focus. If anything it spent a lot more time on build up and hinting in the first half and main story is really kicking in now character development time is over.
Old 2012-08-08, 19:02   Link #1409
Darthtabby

Personally I got the impression that despite his words Villagiulio wasn't actually serious about destroying the Voxes until the final episode. Prior to that he actually seemed to be deliberately trying to draw out their power. It's something I hope the OVA that's supposed to bridge the gap between the two seasons will clear up.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 19:36   Link #1410
vampko

Quote:
Right. There's not enough yuri to satisfy yuri fans that have little-to-no interest in mecha action, and there's not enough serious mecha action to satisfy mecha fans that have little-to-no interest in yuri.

I'm inclined to think that you almost have to like both mecha and yuri (as I do) in order to like this show.

This isn't like Saki, where there's enough yuri for yuri lovers that couldn't care less about mahjong, and enough mahjong for mahjong lovers that couldn't care less about yuri.

I don't like Mecha, and I like this show ._.

I think it's just that I am well aware that even seeing the low levels of yuri that we have in this show, that's already TONS more than we'll get a chance to see anywhere else. Yuri series are RARE. ESPECIALLY ones where BOTH girls seem to show interest in each other. One-sided yuri is pretty common, but two-sided (possibly this show even has three-sided) is crazy rare. So, any yuri fan that thinks it's not enough is just too demanding I'd say. WE GOT KISSES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Not just one, and not some little 'peck', full blown kisses!

But...this episode >_<

Body swapping is the worst -_-

Anyway, I also think that Moid's the real evil. Dizel's just REALLY REALLY obsessed to the point of killing/completely destroying everyone/thing he loves. But i think it's probably because Moid's been a big liar face.

But man is it hard to not hate on Dizzy right now. He's been on board with not only destroying the mind of his little sister, but forever destroying her close friend(lover) and leaving her to deal with that suffering. Not to mention backstabbing his best friend. Enraging his best friend. Destroying an entire race. The list goes on and on. He definitely gets jerk of the season. It's one thing to try and kill someone, it's a whole nother to completely destroy their mind/personality while still letting them 'live'.

Enough of that raging.

Madoka, Lan, and Muginami! Figure something out! Don't let things go the Moid way!
vampko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 23:57   Link #1411
gaiar31

Villagiulio isn't care about war now . He is siscon.
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 01:29   Link #1412
Triple_R
*Author

Just to be clear, I really like this show myself. I'm just trying to figure out why it isn't more popular.

Quote:
I don't think it fails completely when it comes to the main story which is a war between to factions with Madoka caught in the middle. So I don't think the plot has failed because it has yet to lose focus. If anything it spent a lot more time on build up and hinting in the first half and main story is really kicking in now character development time is over.
I agree that the main story is pretty good right now. Lagrange has a very interesting plot that's impressively unpredictable at the moment.

But I think that Gohan's main point isn't that the story, per se, is bad. It's that the action-y payoffs for the story isn't as satisfying as some would like it to be.

The first time they went with "nameless grunts die, some flowers bloom", I really liked the overall trippiness of it. But it would be nice to see a major mecha fight in this show end without the weird metaphysical mumbo-jumbo and just through straight-up, conventional mecha fighting.

Do you still remember the Madoka/Kirius mecha fights of Season 1? We haven't had anything quite like that in Lagrange in a long time, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampko View Post
Anyway, I also think that Moid's the real evil. Dizel's just REALLY REALLY obsessed to the point of killing/completely destroying everyone/thing he loves. But i think it's probably because Moid's been a big liar face.
My view on Dizel is that he's a King that will do anything - absolutely anything - if he feels that it's in the best interests of his people. He's "the ends justify the means" taken to its logical extreme, but within the context of a King.

It definitely makes him a coldblooded antagonist, if not the main antagonist, imo. Does it make him a villain? That's a bit more subjective.

I can see them going one of two ways with Dizel, depending on where this show wants to fall on the dark vs. heartwarming sliding scale.

If the show leans towards dark, I think that Dizel is eventually going to have to be killed in order to stop him and his plans. Perhaps this would lead to Lan becoming Queen of La Garite, which would effectively neutralize La Garite as an antagonistic force. If the narrative goes this way, Dizel will likely go out as a tragic villain.

If the show leans towards heartwarming, Madoka will find a way to reforge the bonds of friendship that Dizel, Lan, Space Tiger, and Yurikano all once enjoyed. If this is the case, your "Moid is the real evil behind the throne" idea may well be the way they go.
Old 2012-08-09, 06:14   Link #1413
Random Wanderer

Quote:
My view on Dizel is that he's a King that will do anything - absolutely anything - if he feels that it's in the best interests of his people. He's "the ends justify the means" taken to its logical extreme, but within the context of a King.
I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here too: A man who is willing to sacrifice anything is a man who can be trusted with nothing. Any trust given to him could be betrayed the moment he decides it's the best for his kingdom. As such, Dizelmine is not worthy of the responsibility of being king.

Not to mention that most of the things he's sacrificing aren't his to sacrifice in the first place. Madoka's life/soul/mind? Not his. The people of De Metrio? Not his. Yet he'll kill them all just the same, and think of himself as "noble" for being willing to make such a "sacrifice."
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 09:06   Link #1414
vampko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here too: A man who is willing to sacrifice anything is a man who can be trusted with nothing. Any trust given to him could be betrayed the moment he decides it's the best for his kingdom. As such, Dizelmine is not worthy of the responsibility of being king.

Not to mention that most of the things he's sacrificing aren't his to sacrifice in the first place. Madoka's life/soul/mind? Not his. The people of De Metrio? Not his. Yet he'll kill them all just the same, and think of himself as "noble" for being willing to make such a "sacrifice."
Yeah, he's definitely not king material. Someone who sacrifices themselves, that makes sense. But when you start bringing in innocents, that's when things are starting to get out of hand.
vampko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 17:34   Link #1415
gaiar31

Dizel same like this
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 18:18   Link #1416
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
I just saw some pictures of figurines and other merchandise
Spoiler for QUALITY:

My eyes bleed.
Are those final? I've seen better bootlegs than that.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 02:19   Link #1417
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Looking forward to Madoka's mind in Yurikano's body.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 02:48   Link #1418
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampko View Post
I think it's just that I am well aware that even seeing the low levels of yuri that we have in this show, that's already TONS more than we'll get a chance to see anywhere else. Yuri series are RARE. ESPECIALLY ones where BOTH girls seem to show interest in each other. One-sided yuri is pretty common, but two-sided (possibly this show even has three-sided) is crazy rare. So, any yuri fan that thinks it's not enough is just too demanding I'd say. WE GOT KISSES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Not just one, and not some little 'peck', full blown kisses!
Being a fan of yuri Rinne no lagrange me happy enough even though there will never be anything serious between Them (Lan and Madoka) in the course are better than nothing
Old 2012-08-11, 02:51   Link #1419
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

I bet everyone of you 10 bucks that the way to get her body back is kissing!!!!
Old 2012-08-12, 10:08   Link #1420
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

In a way, the new episode was both disappointing and great.

The emotions were done relatively well given the short-time frame, it was serious and yet managed to be humorous when it needed to be, and everyone got their moment in the spotlight that they deserved.

But at the same time, I lament the fact that the spoilers may be right...

Spoiler:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime original, mecha, science fiction, yuri