AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-28, 15:12   Link #1281
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
To be fair, the axe found the Vita there like that and didn't actually have to do any chopping...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 15:33   Link #1282
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Here comes the 2DS

Looks hideous, I don't use 3d but if my 3ds broke I'll still buy an XL over this pos, but it's cheap and people will buy this for Pokemon X/Y.
That has to take the cake as one of the worse ergonomics ever designed for a gaming console no? I'm trying to think of something worse from a major company but can't think of anything...
Old 2013-08-28, 15:33   Link #1283
Xagzan

Well, I guess it really is mainly for kids.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 15:35   Link #1284
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
That has to take the cake as one of the worse ergonomics ever designed for a gaming console no? I'm trying to think of something worse from a major company but can't think of anything...
Nah, I still consider the N64 controller to be the worst... though that's by the same company
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 15:36   Link #1285
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Nah, I still consider the N64 controller to be the worst... though that's by the same company
I liked the N64 controller...
Old 2013-08-28, 15:39   Link #1286
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I liked the N64 controller...
I found it ridiculous how they thought they thought putting the analog stick in the middle of the controller to be a good idea. Using one of either the D-Pad or analog made the other inconvenient to access.
Old 2013-08-28, 15:54   Link #1287
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
I found it ridiculous how they thought they thought putting the analog stick in the middle of the controller to be a good idea. Using one of either the D-Pad or analog made the other inconvenient to access.
I think they gambled on people only wanting to use one OR the other and not both at the same time. Remember that the N64 design predates the Dual Shock so there wasn't much precedent set for analogue sticks on home gaming console controllers.

In other news:

Quote:
Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it.
That's an interesting, if mostly useless, tidbit of information.
Old 2013-08-28, 17:32   Link #1288
4Tran

The 2DS incorporates some good ideas - a low-priced unit that eschews the 3D aspect. However, the implementation is sort of horrid; ergonomics, portability and sturdiness all seem to have major issues. Even the branding has some potential for problems.

Hopefully, the screen will be decent, but if it's just a touchscreen that's split into two, I doubt it.
Old 2013-08-28, 18:27   Link #1289
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
. . . anyone else notice it only has one speaker...?
Old 2013-08-28, 19:23   Link #1290
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
the implementation is sort of horrid; ergonomics
I actually don't see how this could be any worse ergonomically than the 3DS/XL... which sadly both take first and second place for most uncomfortable handhelds I've ever owned... though maybe the PSP cheated because it never left its playgear pocket.
Old 2013-08-28, 19:24   Link #1291
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
. . . anyone else notice it only has one speaker...?
Probably because it's monaural?

Quote:
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 20:19   Link #1292
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I actually don't see how this could be any worse ergonomically than the 3DS/XL... which sadly both take first and second place for most uncomfortable handhelds I've ever owned... though maybe the PSP cheated because it never left its playgear pocket.
Check the location of the hands on the 2DS versus the location of the screens. Besides, being not any worse than an uncomfortable system is still a poor design.
Old 2013-08-28, 20:39   Link #1293
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I just learned that the 3DS XL came with a 4GB SD Card...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 23:56   Link #1294
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Taken from the Nintendo 2DS wiki page:

Quote:
TechCrunch expressed concern that "the form factor doesn’t seem very practical for gamers, and especially children with tiny hands."[8] However, those who have held the console have generally found it to be comfortable in the hand. USA Today referred to it as "surprisingly comfortable".[5] Kotaku noted that while it may look bulky, it was pleasant to hold and easy to hold with one hand. They said that the build quality feels good. They said that buttons on the unit were easily accessible, and that placement of the buttons on the upper half of the console directs the eye toward the upper screen.
If it is comfortable to hold and use for an extended amount of time...I might actually replace my 3DS XL with one of these. I mean, if it is more enjoyable to play on this thing than a 3DS XL, I probably will switch them. The 3DS XL is big and bulky. I don't like holding it in my hands.

I looked up some weights. The 3DS XL is 11.9 oz (336 grams). The original Nintendo DS is 9.7 oz (275 grams). The Nintendo 2DS is 9.2 oz (260 grams). The Nintendo DS Lite is 7.7 oz (218 grams). The Nintendo 2DS is only about 40 grams heavier than the Nintendo DS Lite.

The other thing is I don't even play 3DS games in 3D. If the 2DS is better to physically game on, I'll be tempted to get one. I might play 3DS games more if I enjoy playing on a 2DS. Truth is, I haven't played my 3DS much because it is a bad handheld in regards to what it is like to physically game on.
Old 2013-08-29, 21:25   Link #1295
Shadow5YA

I like being able to fold and close my DS and 3DS. Even if the 2DS would be physically thinner and lighter, having no hinges to fold the system in half would make it bulkier and less convenient for me.

That is my main complaint and the reason why I probably will not buy the 2DS.
Old 2013-08-29, 22:28   Link #1296
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I like being able to fold and close my DS and 3DS. Even if the 2DS would be physically thinner and lighter, having no hinges to fold the system in half would make it bulkier and less convenient for me.

That is my main complaint and the reason why I probably will not buy the 2DS.
That's fine, in my opinion. I wouldn't buy one either, except as a collector. Most of the complaints I've seen about it are from the teen/adult perspective, which this product is clearly not marketed toward. Personally I'm not a fan of the aesthetics (although I'm happy Nintendo is finally realizing that matte plastic is better than gloss), and the 2DS name just adds to the product confusion Nintendo has hampered itself with as of late.

But for kids, especially really young ones, this is great. Kids are really prone to breaking things with moving parts, and hinges are the weakest point of any device. I've seen so many kids force the screen back farther than it should go, leave the device sitting open ready for something to land/sit on it, and just generally abuse the hell out of their handhelds. I've seen parents hand their iPads and other expensive phone/tablet/handheld devices over to their 10 and under kids and I can't help but shake my head at the inevitable "oops" that will befell their 200+ dollar device. Sorry, but no thanks.

Nintendo's libraries are great for kids, their handhelds especially so. This is also the same demographic you'd never hand a Vita. While some kids take care of their stuff, most don't, and most adults aren't made of money either.

Honestly I don't think this device would have been needed back before the Wii/DS generation, when Nintendo shifted production to China. Their hardware built quality took a notable hit then, and that's unfortunate. They might still be relatively more reliable than Sony/MS hardware, but it's certainly not "Nintendium" anymore either. You used to be able to beat the hell out of Nintendo products and they'd still keep working, somehow, but not anymore.
Old 2013-08-29, 23:08   Link #1297
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Honestly I don't think this device would have been needed back before the Wii/DS generation, when Nintendo shifted production to China. Their hardware built quality took a notable hit then, and that's unfortunate. They might still be relatively more reliable than Sony/MS hardware, but it's certainly not "Nintendium" anymore either. You used to be able to beat the hell out of Nintendo products and they'd still keep working, somehow, but not anymore.
Reminds me of those hardware test(?) videos, like when they tried to destroy each of the three consoles and the Gamecube always stood the winner. And there was that video of some bombed Gameboy.
Well, I guess it is hard to keep the defense of the consoles while adding new technology. Not that I am an engineer though.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 16:14   Link #1298
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Reminds me of those hardware test(?) videos, like when they tried to destroy each of the three consoles and the Gamecube always stood the winner. And there was that video of some bombed Gameboy.
Well, I guess it is hard to keep the defense of the consoles while adding new technology. Not that I am an engineer though.
Here it is: a Gameboy that survived being bombed during the Gulf War.

There's also another that spent some months inside the MIR space station.

Those old Gameboys were simple and sturdy as heck.
Old 2013-08-30, 16:49   Link #1299
Xagzan

Yep, I saw that Gulf War one in the Nintendo Store last year. It was pretty cool.

They replaced the display as of the last time I was there however.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 03:00   Link #1300
Sides

Amazones of Seisou PV

Game is by arc system works, but... well just watch the PV for yourselves.
It looks like some kind of rpg with everything thrown into it, dungeon mode, novel mode, some kind of battle mode and special mode, for who wants to interact with the characters.

Official HP: http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/amazones/

Don't think the games deserves an own thread, nevertheless it is so weird, that it deserves to be at least mentioned, especially on a anime board.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds