AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-06-16, 14:05   Link #61
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
First name is from Hebrew for "Beloved", after a famous king known for his wisdom and versatility. Middle name is the name of a well-known roman general.

My last name is apparently "again" in the language of its origin. It's also the acronym for a university with around 20,000 students, and almost everyone who's seen it without first meeting me expects me to be Chinese -- except for Chinese people, who know that that's not a chinese word.

I sort of wish I had my mom's family name, though. It's much cooler ... it means "seeing through the fog" or something to that effect.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 05:26   Link #62
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
My name is Emil. It comes from the Roman family name Aemilius and the latin word aemulus, which means rival. My middle name is Olaf, which means "Ancestor's descendant". My last name is Svensson, which means "Son of Sven", and "Sven" is from Old Norse "Sveinn" or Old Swedish "Svenn", which means "boy".

:/
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 13:41   Link #63
Ghettobob
GTO Fan!

Send a message via AIM to Ghettobob Send a message via MSN to Ghettobob Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettobob
My name is Tyler. I think it means, tilist. Someone that works with tiles are something :/
Ghettobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 17:05   Link #64
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I won't post my real name, but I will say its meaning in the language it is from is Saturday. My middle name means "cannot be deceived."
Old 2006-06-18, 18:17   Link #65
-Mad Skillz-
Kinetic 9

Send a message via MSN to -Mad Skillz-
My name is Boris, it is the short form of Borislav, which is of slavic origin and means "fame in battle." Literal translation is "battle glory" ("bor" meaning battle and "slav" meaning glory).
-Mad Skillz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 19:24   Link #66
n.a
Mad Scientist

Send a message via AIM to n.a
my first name is a derived from hebrew and means wealthy
n.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 07:47   Link #67
Kamiru

Send a message via MSN to Kamiru
My first name is french, having it's origin from a boys' name though it is the name of a Japanese rose.
Kamiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 10:16   Link #68
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Mine (Johan) means "god is gracious" >_<
That's so dull...
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 16:56   Link #69
Shakugan no Shana
Zoroastrian

I am Unknown...

My first Name, "Famous Land".
My Last Name... Is no where on the web. I have searched for "Records" of my last name for over 7 years... And I have not found 1 record of the past of my last name no where. No where on America it existed before... It seems my last name might be from Asia or Europe. Some friends say it might be "English/Irish/Polish"... I checked there... No records.... I don't know who my family was.... My real Family ofcourse... Still no meaning... Nor my Real Family's name or the family who adopted me have no records. Legally I am the second to have the last name, My mother was the first... After my adoption, everyone in the family mostly switched my name, I didn't know about this until i was 15. *Got sad, ran away* But things are ok now...
Shakugan no Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 17:30   Link #70
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I am not sure about the other countries, but in my country - Turkey, if I am not mistaken almost all the traditional names (total minus a few thousands maybe not including the minority Christians or Jews, no idea regarding the origin of their names) have some kind of meaning regardless of their origin (Turkish, Persian, Arabic, Greek, Armenian, other Balkanian and Caucasian countries). Interestingly, even though they have meanings, many of those names (maybe most of them) can only be used as person names, not as a word to represent their original meaning. The remaining meaningless portion belongs to people who have parents that wanna try something strange or wanna adopt a name from another country and change a few syllables to fit the Turkish alphabet (not counted as meaningful because of not preserving the original form).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 17:32   Link #71
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

My name = Andrés, the Spanish form of Andrew which means manly or courageous.

Or for a more technical definition:
Quote:
From the Greek name Ανδρεας (Andreas), which derives from ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros) "of a man").
BIBLIOGRAPHY.
Behind the Name: View Name: Andrew - http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=andrew
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 19:02   Link #72
Ji Ji

Send a message via MSN to Ji Ji
Yeah, my name Julia means Little Pearl or "The One With Soft Hair" serious.
Ji Ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 12:03   Link #73
Lilium
Yuri Priestess

Send a message via MSN to Lilium
My name is Maria.
So in english it would be Mary.
Quote:
Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) or Μαρια (Maria) (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or "love".
Sea of bitterness and rebelliousness?
I like it^^
Lilium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 20:12   Link #74
BellaD

My name has no meaning at all... yes I am one of those poor people who's parents didnt think about the meaning they just thought it sounded good ...
Who is the friend of all.
--
BellaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 23:00   Link #75
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

This is my Chinese name: 叶志鸿

In Pinyin, Ye Zhi Hong. In Wade-Giles, Yip Ch'i H'ung (I think. I've never studied this system. It's a terrible pronunciation system anyway, in my opinion )

叶 is my family name, which literally means "leaf".
志鸿 is my given name. 志 translates approximately into "purpose", "will" or "determination" (it's difficult to translate exactly, as there isn't an equivalent concept in English). 鸿 means "great (as in magnitude)" or "long distance".

So my name can mean, "great determination", or "great purpose". I happen to like my name very much .
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 06:56   Link #76
makeyourself
itadakimasu!

Send a message via MSN to makeyourself
My name in Arabic apparently means something which is famous.
Umair
makeyourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 13:08   Link #77
Rurik
Golden

My Name means "famous ruler"..gezz, I’m neither Famous or a ruler..well maybe a ruler of My Room........ and its a very rare and umcomom name in this side of the Planet.

Well I was named after a Famous Nordic Ruler who Founded the Kiev (russia)..He even had his own Dynasty...Cool

Last edited by Rurik; 2006-09-01 at 13:28.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 13:57   Link #78
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

i think cherry means virgin.
my parents named me well...

and oh... my surname means lazy. perfect for describing my family.
horsdhaleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 14:02   Link #79
Laharu
mao de makai

Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
My name has two meanings.

1st = Winter's Breath
2nd = Born in the Dark Waters
Laharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 13:41   Link #80
Lonewolf

1st:From the Hebrew name זְכַרְיָה (Zekaryah) which meant "YAHWEH remembers". Zechariah was a minor prophet of the Old Testament, author of the Book of Zechariah. This is also the name of the father of John the Baptist in the New Testament, who was temporarily made dumb because of his disbelief

2nd:English form of the Late Latin Jacomus which was derived from Ιακωβος (Iakobos), the New Testament Greek form of יַעֲקֹב (Ya'aqov) (see JACOB). This is the name of two apostles in the New Testament. The first was Saint James the Greater, the apostle John's brother, who was beheaded by Herod Agrippa in the Book of Acts. The second was James the Lesser, son of Alphaeus. Another James (known as James the Just) is also mentioned in the Bible as being the brother of Jesus. Kings of England and Scotland have borne this name. Other famous bearers include the inventor of the steam engine James Watt, the explorer Captain James Cook, and the novelist and poet James Joyce.

I cant find my last name but I do know it's Germanic
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember. when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote