AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-18, 19:22   Link #1
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~

I felt, as Mahoraba's greatest fan, that in one way or another this is an anime that I cannot forget, this is an anime that literally re-defined the way I watch anime, this is an anime that totally blew my nose out, and this was the anime where I first introduced nosebleedful summaries of anime. I have many memories with this anime, and so does Google, Yahoo, etc... .

The anime already finished airing long time ago, you say? Well, there are still some people who haven't watched it, and there's still the DVD versions to talk about as far as I can see, the manga is still ongoing [but needs it's own thread in manga section], but hey, honestly, I want to hear from all of you what you have to say about it now. When it finished it's initial broadcast run, not many people had a say in how it looks now. But, most importantly, I'd like to share a few links to cached versions of what the Mahoraba thread looked like a few months back...

page 1 You can see how I slowly got into it lol
page 2 A sequel to page 1
page 4 Some things I said about how Mahoraba will be
page 5 You'll see me getting the moe melts lol...
page 19 Some admissions I made lol
page 26 The girl of my dreams has arrived
page 35 My, "prelude" to episode 21
animesuki forum archive of Mahoraba It shows alot more from page 1 to (?)

From what I can gather. It's nice to look back on how much I loved this series, all the more fueling my love for it in the years ahead. To me this was a very important series for me, and it gave me a different view on how to prepare for things unexpected.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 20:10   Link #2
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Mahoraba is certainly a gem among gems, no two ways about it. Mmm, I think the best part of the entire thing was the ep (I'll spoiler this just in case)

Spoiler:

The rest of it was awesome too of course, and it was really nice to see a load of women/ girls in one place who weren't all magically attracted to the lead guy for no apparent reason
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 21:33   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Good work mangatron. At least some of the ''Kozue-chan moe~'' err mahoraba thread survived. Hmm, I never knew Catgirls made an animated av from the same scene as my sig.

Unfortunately, much of the actual discussion seems to have been lost. Hopefully new people will see this thread, and watch the series.

As for what I think about it now, mahoraba is a masterpiece of it's genre. A romantic comedy that managed to aviod the pitfalls of a harem series is rare, but not only did mahoraba accomplish that feat, it did it well. Only nadesico and legend of galactic heros rank higher on my favorite series list. There may be better series than mahoraba, but few as memorable. The title Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ really is fitting.
Old 2005-12-18, 22:13   Link #4
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

It's one of those special series that leaves you with a warm glow for ages after watching just one episode Nadesico is also high on my list of favourites.
Old 2005-12-18, 23:14   Link #5
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Great stuff, mangatron. Thanks for your reconstructions. Mahoraba is definitely a gem of its genre, and one of the most humane anime I've seen.

I just want to mention that Karin has the same director as Mahoraba, and that's one reason why that anime is as charming as it is.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 23:46   Link #6
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Hmm, that might explain why I've stuck with Karin. Normally I steer clear of vampire stuff (not really my thing) but after tentatively downloading and watching the first ep of Karin when it came out, I was hooked.
Old 2005-12-19, 00:14   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

2005 gave me Mahoraba, Tsukuyomi, and Pani Poni Dash ... and possibly Karin and Shuffle! (in progress). I should include AIR but its off in its own little category.

Mahoraba will rank as one of the best anime I've seen both as itself and in how it complemented the manga. Go Saki-chan.... oooh almost time for vol. 11
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 17:24   Link #8
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

I reconstructed this thread as far as I could with the help of my own archive, Google and Yahoo (totalling 35 pages). It also includes the long archive page listed by mangatron.

Missing pages: 9, 10-13, 18 21-23, 27-29, 31, 32, 34, 36, 39, everything after 51. Also part of page 51 is probably missing.

Anyway, here it is.

Last edited by Jekyll; 2005-12-21 at 12:49.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 00:05   Link #9
Jinx626
Yo!!

Finally got around to watching this series due to Mangatron's avatar and other people raving how great it was prior to forum crash. This series was definitely worth watching. It was one of those series that left me with a warm fuzzy feeling once i finished each episode. Great main characters and even the side characters were great.

For those that have read the manga...If i decided to start reading the manga which volume does the anime leave off at???
Old 2006-01-16, 00:27   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx626
Finally got around to watching this series due to Mangatron's avatar and other people raving how great it was prior to forum crash. This series was definitely worth watching. It was one of those series that left me with a warm fuzzy feeling once i finished each episode. Great main characters and even the side characters were great.

For those that have read the manga...If i decided to start reading the manga which volume does the anime leave off at???
The anime diverges from the manga a bit at the end, so it's not as simple as picking up where you left off. Volume 8 should be abut the part you want though. Just remember some things in the anime don't happen in the manga. For instance the manga still hasn't addressed what caused Kozue-chan's condition or what happened to her parents.

I'd recommend starting from volume one though. There's a batch torrent of vol 1-10 on prutser.com.
Old 2006-01-16, 04:28   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

vol 11 *should* be out at the end of this month (JP edition) but they do have the flaky release schedule so it could in February....

and yes... the story is re-arranged a bit and there's more detail in the manga so I'd say start from vol. 1. This is one of the few cases where both the anime and the manga work well within their mediums. The anime catches the spirit of the manga quite well though it deviates a bit to provide decent closure to the anime.
Old 2006-01-16, 04:44   Link #12
Morisato

In the manga, they
Spoiler:
And that whole car accident thing
Spoiler:

Last edited by xris; 2006-01-16 at 05:58.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 06:57   Link #13
porchoky

So the manga actually hasn't finished yet? cool there might be a sequel
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 15:12   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The manga is going strong with lots of storyline to go..... actually a bit sad but necessary storyline. Yeah, the car accident scenario at the end of the anime (DO NOT OPEN THIS UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY DON'T PLAN ON READING THE MANGA)
Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-16, 15:50   Link #15
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Arai Satomi (Kozue-chan)

Arai Satomi, who was the voice of Kozue-chan (etc., etc.), is now appearing in the new anime Tactical Roar. She plays the tighter-haired of the blonde twins (Akoya Mashuu). I don't find the show very interesting, except for the presence of good seiyuus such as her, Nakahara Mai, Takahashi Mikako, and Ueda Kana.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 03:26   Link #16
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Recovery post -- original post made 2005-08-08 -- recovered from Google cache
(check that link -- maybe some of your old posts are there, too, and worth resurrecting)

Originally replying to posts by Encoder and evil-samurai

I don't think Tamami is gay, either. Rather, she is an obsessive.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll just recap: every single person in Mahoraba displays some sort of dysfunctional behaviour. In one way or another, they are all suffering from a psychological disorder of some sort. Kozue-chan is merely the most obvious.

However, what makes Mahoraba such a great story is the fact that they are all coping with their disorders. They are transcending their various miseries and establishing a mutually nurturing environment. Narutakisou is the ultimate group therapy.

In Tamami's case, as was pointed out, Kozue-chan is her only friend. All of Tamami's existence revolves about Kozue, and she feels deeply threatened by Shiratori. She has correctly identified him as a person capable of "taking away" Kozue-chan. However, she is also intelligent enough to realise that it may be in Kozue-chan's best interests for this to happen.

The fact that she (much of the time) manages to restrain her jealousies, in order to give Kozue-chan and Shiratori a chance, makes Tamami a tragic heroine, in my book. She's making the ultimate sacrifice, stepping down from being no. 1 in Kozue-chan's universe, because she knows it's best for Kozue-chan. That's an act of supreme self-sacrifice.
Freak Of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 03:37   Link #17
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Recovery post -- two original posts, both made 2005-06-28 -- recovered from Google cache
(check that link -- maybe some of your old posts are there, too, and worth resurrecting)

Originally replying to posts by Encoder and evil-samurai

Originally Posted by Hayamaneko
Also, why was she^ refering to Asami as "Miss Pea"?
I assumed it was because her hair is green and she's small like a pea. I doubt that there's a deeper meaning.
Actually, I believe it's because, in the manga, the first time the occult club president (she's not the "class prez" -- she's buchou, not iinchou) meets Asami, Tamami-chan presents all of the Narutakisou residents, using some rather nasty (but accurate) descriptions -- and Asami is presented as 豆 (mame, "bean" or "pea" - in this case, "shorty"). This is on page 157 of tankoubon 3.

She presents Shiratori as タマなし (tamanashi, or "no balls").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
It wasn't just in the manga. That introduction by Tamami was done in anime too.
That's true -- but in the manga, you get the kanji and the implicit puns, too.

There's a really nice pun inherent in calling Asami 豆 (mame), since it's a homonym for 忠実, which means "diligent, hardworking, faithful, devoted, etc."

Of course, it's also a homonym for 肉刺, which can mean "corn, blister" -- or "clitoris" (though I doubt that any pun was intended on this angle... ).
Freak Of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 04:11   Link #18
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

Now that this thread is alive, I will post. Because I really, really do like this anime.
I vectored this pic. of Chiyuri-chan which I now use as a part of my Rainmeter.

If anyone wants more Mahoraba stuff. notify me.
Old 2006-04-25, 13:58   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Shocked... yes, shocked I am that this little jewel seems to be drifting in limbo and not licensed yet. <sigh>
Old 2006-04-25, 14:13   Link #20
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Shocked... yes, shocked I am that this little jewel seems to be drifting in limbo and not licensed yet. <sigh>
I believe it shall be licensed soon. It's just too good a series not to be. Kiminozo and konomini were only recently licensed, so having a lot of time pass doesn't mean a series won't get picked up.

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen