View Poll Results: Do you suffer from a Mental Disorder
Yes 16 26.67%
No 30 50.00%
Maybe 14 23.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-05-27, 23:22   Link #1
Mauru

Mental Illness

Have you suffered from Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder etc.

Please tell your experiences.

Last edited by Mauru; 2009-05-28 at 23:07.
Mauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 00:42   Link #2
othera

I spend... all my time on the internet

Nothing wrong with me that I know of >.>
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 01:18   Link #3
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Everyone has a mental illness they just haven't been diagnosed yet.
According to my old psychiatrist from when I was years younger I had anxiety due to perfectionism and some perversion of a.d.d. where I actually focus too much on a single thing. Though according to a different psychiatrist I went to a week later, I had no mental illnesses just a few small quirks like everyone else.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 01:32   Link #4
oompa loompa

Mmm... well I have been through kind of severe medical depression, and have been diagnosed with OCD recently which takes its form in obsessive worrying ( It's 'supposed' to be different than anxiety, but well see), but I think the doctor was a quack, cos initially it was chronic anxiety. I'll be seeing another practitioner in a couple of weeks, it has calmed down a lot in over the last 2-3 months, and am looking for general everyday things I can do to keep it at bay.

However, when it was at its worst I used to try my level best to avoid the internet, as I found out a little while into my experience that the internet holds a lot of scary scary things for those with anxiety/depression problems , and resorting to the internet for peace of mind made things much much worse.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 02:15   Link #5
Mauru

Quote:
and resorting to the internet for peace of mind made things much much worse.
That cannot be further from the truth.
Mauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 02:19   Link #6
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Schizophrenia/bipolar disorder/split personality disorder. My psychiatrists couldn't make up their mind.

I can be awkwardly random to the extent that I can just shout, "OLE!" while on the way home on a bus. I speak in extremely loud voices that put my friends to shame, and I can be really straightforward and speak my mind till it makes people cry.

And I can't control it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 02:38   Link #7
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Schizophrenia/bipolar disorder/split personality disorder. My psychiatrists couldn't make up their mind.

I can be awkwardly random to the extent that I can just shout, "OLE!" while on the way home on a bus. I speak in extremely loud voices that put my friends to shame, and I can be really straightforward and speak my mind till it makes people cry.

And I can't control it.
No offense, but if your shrinks couldn't differentiate or "choose" between those 3 they are pretty shabby.

I do grant that bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia oft go hand in hand, but if they couldn't narrow down if you had DID (dissociative identity disorder, the newer(?) term for multiple personalities) that's pretty bad.... Some symptoms are similar but it's generally pretty obvious if it's a personality of just a quirk. Being straightforward is not a mental disorder, despite what society may think. Tact is oft a learned skill

I'd suggest they have looked at something akin to Tourette's but I am not (yet) a licensed medical professional, so I do not honestly know what determines Tourette's vs something else, whether a vocal "tic" is enough or if the physical tics HAVE to be present.
Totally unrelated tangent, though, sorry. It just bothers me a great deal when so-called "licensed professionals" start tossing out labels without thinking of the impact they may have on someone's life, because it's easier to label someone than actually investigate the underlying and actual issue/disorder.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 03:01   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The OP's definition of "mental illness" and "mental disorder" seems broad enough to include almost anyone. Most people suffer from clinical depression at some point. A rather high number of science/engineering types have ADD (are you classifying that as a disorder?).
Old 2009-05-28, 03:04   Link #9
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauru View Post
That cannot be further from the truth.
Ehh... you're not really anyone to judge. To put generalized labels on mental illness to that extent isnt exactly going to work. For example, for depression, while there are 'general' things that help, there is always something that helps more than others, and it varies from person to person. For me, it was just walking. Going for a long walk eased my worries better than anything else could. The same way, some things may not have the desired reaction - For me, when I had fallen into depression ( When I was trying to figure out what had happened to me myself, it takes a while before you can get an appointment with a shrink) I searched on the internet about what had happened to me. Although there were plenty of testimonials of people who had gone through the exact same thing as me and turned out fine, I solely focused on the ones which werent as hopeful, as you might expect a depressed an anxious person to do, which said something along the lines of ' well it happened when i was 17 and I'm 33 now and I still have nightmares' or ' yes, it happened to me and there was no cure, but then I turned to the power of god and everything became alright. please donate at this website'.
Under severe anxiety, it became nothing short of obsessive. I continued and continued searching even though I knew it was just making things worse, until I was literally gasping for air because my heart rate had increased so much. In retrospect, I believe that was what 'pushed me off the deep end' if you will. Therefore, for the rest of that time, the internet and computer only brought back bad memories, it was a few weeks before I actually used it again, posting some rather.. err..(fit in adjective) things on this website ( if any of you remember ).

My point being dont generalize that way because, frankly, you dont know about what goes through my head.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 03:15   Link #10
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Does irritable bowel syndrome count? ^^;

It's relatively minor, but it's still stress related.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 03:35   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
shrinks.. uugh I hate shrinks my parents tried that when I was 8 but I never managed to talk to him because I didn't trust him.. I mean to sit on a chair and just tell him whatever comes to mind, I think it is strange to tell that to a man I pay and whom I've only met about 10 mins ago... school tried again when I was 16 after I had a teacher meeting lol, I wasn't even home yet and they rang ym mom up proclaiming I needed therapy asap, my mom shrugged and we did it but again I didn't feel like talking to some stranger who actually asked me what I was here for and who was in fact quite rude to me for not telling him anything

as far as I know I have an anxiety problem, it is rather obvious, normally I'm quite a fun person but when in a crowd with strangers I hardly speak nor join in with the rest, I rather observe for half a year before even daring to speak. I hate speaking to large crowds and I start shaking badly because of trauma, it has gotten less now because I no longer cry in front of classes unlike 3 years ago, you can blame teasing for that kids never know what result their actions have when they throw paper balsl at you in front of class or yell things like hurry up you're taking so long. I can't have a decent discussion with someone either, specially one where someone insults me and I defend myself, I start shaking, sometimes lose track of what I say and start crying because I can't stand being yelled at.

As mentioned before thought he internet makes things a lot worse with people self diagnosing by merely going down a check list

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2009-05-28 at 03:52.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 07:13   Link #12
Thingle
Banned

Mental disorders say more about the society that diagnoses it than the individual himself.

Normality is a cult.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 07:48   Link #13
KimmyChan

I don't personally, although I do suffer from pretty strong paranoid & jealousy streaks at times
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 08:36   Link #14
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Unhappy To me, I think so OBVIOUSLY....

Interesting Thread here, Mauru.

Sometimes I have some kinda Paranoid Delusion with some anime shows. Did you guys know how am I feel after i've watched the first impression of the anime series Like Chrono Crusade? I was totally Emotional, cried until now I've never forget and so with some other animes until I should Find some other stuff to remain calm but still NOTHIN HAPPENS even though I've went outside world......

*OH GOD, why is this keep happening to me?*

I was like 'I'M GONNA KILL HIM!!! ' word for me when i'm experienced somethin worse for some anime series.

Like some psychotic characters gets me on my nerves until it gets INTIMIDATED all the time until the LAST episodes (Mai otome, Mai HiME & others like gundam 00)

Quote:
Originally Posted by othera View Post
I spend... all my time on the internet

Nothing wrong with me that I know of >.>
Damn same as me too.....

I mean did you guys read the SIG below that why it happens to me sometimes until i'm getting paranoid.

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2009-05-28 at 08:47.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 09:22   Link #15
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I hear voices in my head — all the time.

It's called inspiration, but others may think differently...
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 09:57   Link #16
justsomeguy

"Mental illness" is far too strong and negative a term to describe most members on the board. When I took Psychology in college, the professor made it a point that people should not attempt to diagnose themselves, because it is normal for everybody to display some weirdness, and that it is not an illness or even a disorder unless taken to extremes.

When I think mental illness, I think of people who hear voices telling them to do violent things, people who worry about everything so much they can't sleep, selfish sociopaths with no regard for other humans, people who feel compelled to do things obsessively, occasional homeless guys in NYC bashing in the heads of random tourists with bricks, and mothers who go crazy and kill their kids.

Anything less is normal. Who wouldn't fell "depressed" if they broke up with their SO, "anxious" while taking a test or meeting new people, have mood swings due to hormones or external events, or occasionally act like a selfish a-hole?
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 11:45   Link #17
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

I don't think I have any mental disorder although I have a fear of people looking at my feet. I don't think there's anything wrong with em and others don't think so too. I just feel freaked out

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 12:02   Link #18
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Maybe when I get to tired...I go wild. J/K
Old 2009-05-28, 13:07   Link #19
Ending

I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm perfectly sane, thank you very much. I also like it that way, since you can't really fiddle with stuff when insane. Others may say I'm a total nutcase, but I know the truth.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 13:14   Link #20
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm perfectly sane, thank you very much. I also like it that way, since you can't really fiddle with stuff when insane. Others may say I'm a total nutcase, but I know the truth.
So you're saying that people who suffer mental illness are insane ? Do you even know what are you talking about ?

Did you know that phoebia is a mental illness ? Did you know that Social anxiety is a mental illness ? So you're saying that every person who have these symptoms are insane ?

Last edited by Kusa-San; 2009-05-28 at 13:24.
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote