AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-12-29, 14:49   Link #81
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The story of the Parasite Eve games has always been patently ridiculous. It's not like this will really change much.
Old 2010-12-29, 19:01   Link #82
Abbs
General Lurker

Send a message via MSN to Abbs
I've never played the first or second Parasite Eve, but I've always found the plot intriguing and the music absolutely incredible, especially considering the time it was made in. (Yoko Shimomura is love <3)

But unless I can find the funds for the game and a PSP, no shooting mitochondria for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Importers have many good things to say about the production values and game mechanics. Production was almost all in-house, so they really worked at honing their action design skills. The balance is apparently very good too.

As for story, we'd better keep our expectations low. It wasn't a main focus (T3B is most definitely an action game), and as expected, Motomu Toriyama went wild with the plot.
The plots for the Parasite Eve series are undoubtedly bizarre but that's why I like 'em.

On a side note, Aya is also going to have unlockable outfits, and for any Final Fantasy XIII fans out there, Lightning's outfit is one of them.
Abbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 19:26   Link #83
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Hmmm... Might delay this until 012 comes out. Aya as Lightning and Lightning as Aya: Can't really pass that one up.
I quote my own post. Also, apparently Sakamoto-san will revoice Aya's lines so that she sounds more like Lightning if you used that outfit.
Old 2010-12-31, 00:30   Link #84
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Importers have many good things to say about the production values and game mechanics. Production was almost all in-house, so they really worked at honing their action design skills. The balance is apparently very good too.

As for story, we'd better keep our expectations low. It wasn't a main focus (T3B is most definitely an action game), and as expected, Motomu Toriyama went wild with the plot.
Oh boy, did he ever...

The story is pretty freaking atrocious, I'll just say that and not ruin the lovely little memories of Parasite Eve most of you have in your heads, like I used to.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 16:43   Link #85
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It can't be worse than the plots produced by id Software... John "Paper-thin Plot" Carmack FTL.
Old 2011-01-02, 13:11   Link #86
Sides

Game is pretty short, a lot of the time is watching cut scenes. IMO they spend too much time and money on those and not enough on game mechanics. You get a lot of frame drops, installing the game (install data option) doesn't help, and camera is a bit iffy. Overall a mediocre shooting game, but perfect for short travels.
Things i like, the limited tactical decisions you have to take, placing you pawns to execute the crossfire feature effectively. Once you beat an episode you can replay whole episode or the single chapters, to unlock achievements or beat your own time. Also the weapons can be customised, and you can revert it back to standard, for your own set challenges.

There is a reason why it isn't refereed as PE3, by SE unofficially, is because it is not. Does it deserved all the hype it got? No, especially from the PE series fans. I reckon a lot of them will end up being disappointed, getting a shooter game.
However I might buy the localised version, if some modification are being made to it, like inverted controls for sniping, launcher and special weapons, manual aiming(?), maybe bonus levels or map editor and if it is sold for under £20. Thankfully, i didn't spend almost 60 quid importing this, that why we have daft friends for ^^.
Another problem i have, Aya looks different from the PE series, she looks like Maaya Sakamoto, seems like SE are in love with her, or the director or producer..., shameless promotion of an artist.

In the end it is an OK go shooter game, but £60 to import it seems too much even as a fan of the old PE games.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 13:37   Link #87
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Game is pretty short, a lot of the time is watching cut scenes. IMO they spend too much time and money on those and not enough on game mechanics. You get a lot of frame drops, installing the game (install data option) doesn't help, and camera is a bit iffy. Overall a mediocre shooting game, but perfect for short travels.
Things i like, the limited tactical decisions you have to take, placing you pawns to execute the crossfire feature effectively. Once you beat an episode you can replay whole episode or the single chapters, to unlock achievements or beat your own time. Also the weapons can be customised, and you can revert it back to standard, for your own set challenges.

There is a reason why it isn't refereed as PE3, by SE unofficially, is because it is not. Does it deserved all the hype it got? No, especially from the PE series fans. I reckon a lot of them will end up being disappointed, getting a shooter game.
However I might buy the localised version, if some modification are being made to it, like inverted controls for sniping, launcher and special weapons, manual aiming(?), maybe bonus levels or map editor and if it is sold for under £20. Thankfully, i didn't spend almost 60 quid importing this, that why we have daft friends for ^^.
Another problem i have, Aya looks different from the PE series, she looks like Maaya Sakamoto, seems like SE are in love with her, or the director or producer..., shameless promotion of an artist.

In the end it is an OK go shooter game, but £60 to import it seems too much even as a fan of the old PE games.
This kinda saddens me.

But at the same time, since PE creator and SE parted ways, they probably couldn't have made a similar game (not just the name).

I will be getting the english version when it comes out regardless, PE was one of my favorite game all time so there's nothing i could do about it...just like FF. (Seriously, if SE decided to do a flash game and name it FF15, I would still have to pay 50bucks for it.)
Old 2011-01-03, 00:38   Link #88
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I definitely won't spend the equivalent of 60 pounds to play this. But, as for Sakamoto fanservice, I actually don't mind. I've heard her in FF13 and yeah, she can be said to be 1 good reason why 13 was a hit.

Sounds like JP version is an obvious beta, just like how Dissidia was. (Compare the JP version with the English ones. The gameplay mechanics were greatly enhanced in the latter. But, I have both, the JP version just to -you guessed it- watch the cutscenes.)
Old 2011-01-03, 23:16   Link #89
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

A group of folks who are PE fans like myself toyed with remaking PE1 and PE2 in the Source engine, but after the Chrono Trigger sequel fiasco, we decided it'd be a wasted gesture only to have SE bury us under DMCA takedown notices...

PE1/PE2 as a horror-themed first-person shooter with RPG elements (think Deus Ex) would be pretty goddamned awesome, though...
Old 2011-01-28, 05:59   Link #90
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Are you one of the 100,000 members to have watched the shower scene?
Old 2011-01-28, 09:40   Link #91
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I saw the Youtube one. It's... tame. Still, the negative reviews are worrying.
Old 2011-02-02, 17:35   Link #92
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The 3rd Birthday's Europe release specials.

I'm certainly pleased with this. Preordering now.
Old 2011-02-05, 01:25   Link #93
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Oh. My. God.

Aya's english VA will be voiced by Yvonne Strahovski aka Sarah Walker from Chuck and Miranda Lawson from Mass Effect 2.

And Kyle Madigan's English VA will be.......Jensen Ackles! aka Dean Winchester from Supernatural!

I'm squeeing with excitement!
Old 2011-02-05, 04:12   Link #94
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for real spoiler, don't click if you don't want to know:
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 05:19   Link #95
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Aya's english VA will be voiced by Yvonne Strahovski aka Sarah Walker from Chuck and Miranda Lawson from Mass Effect 2.
I'm not really feeling it. Especially seeing as though she'll be replacing Maaya Sakamoto.
Old 2011-02-05, 15:29   Link #96
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

For some reason I've been losing a lot of interest in this as of late.

I think I'm more than a little annoyed that this isn't going on the Playstation Suite, and I don't have the money or desire to buy a PSP that will collect dust after this game is played.

If I could play it on my Vibrant, it would be an entirely different story.

Plus, a friend of mine and fellow PE fangirl imported the JP version and she tells me quite firmly, "Don't waste your money. The story's retarded and the game's too short. Gameplay's not bad, though."
Old 2011-02-08, 05:39   Link #97
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

My main reason for playing the game is the return of Aya. Plus what i've seen of the gameplay looks to be pretty fun. Still, i'd buy the game even if i wasn't interested just for those awesome extras.
Old 2011-02-25, 06:19   Link #98
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Latest English trailer.
Old 2011-02-25, 08:56   Link #99
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The voice work is decent, though it's no Maaya Sakamoto.
Old 2011-03-30, 12:23   Link #100
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Interview with the English cast of The 3rd Birthday

Tags
e3 2010, parasite eve, psp, square enix, the 3rd birthday