AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-04, 11:13   Link #5001
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Spoiler for Two more weeks, I'm guessing.:
Was the flower lady ever explained? I honestly forget

At any rate, the only chance of next week not being LIS2 is if they decide to pull out Haruhi Theatre. So... yeah, next week should be LIS2.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-06-04, 11:55   Link #5002
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I was going to say "But Sayaka Aoki already voices Imouto" but then I saw what you did there. Haha.

Seki as Fujiwara would be very, very fitting, I gotta say. Haruhi has needed EPIC TOMOKAZU FACEOFF for a while now.

I really can't see Kugimiya as a silent character, but I've only really seen Al Elric and her tsundere roles, so...

As for Sasaki... given her plot role, I can see them casting Nana Mizuki just for the real-world significance, much like Seki for Fujiwara. (Or hell, Yui Horie. She's already in everything anyway.)

I don't agree with Mamiko Noto as Miyoko either, but she's done cheerful characters before. Just not often. (By the way, I'm pretty sure she shows up for like a single frame in Melancholy VI.)

Given the trope-filled nature of Haruhi, I can really see them abusing typecasting here. Just saying.
I don't really follow voice acting all that much, but...

Christina Vee as the English voice actress for Sasaki?
Old 2009-06-04, 14:05   Link #5003
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Christina Vee as the English voice actress for Sasaki?
Hehehe... I see what you did there...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-06-04, 14:12   Link #5004
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The flower lady could have been some foreshadowing to KyoAni's version of Kanon.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:05   Link #5005
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Two more weeks. Two more weeks until at least four new episodes. Come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The flower lady could have been some foreshadowing to KyoAni's version of Kanon.
The human (real) Makoto, right?

I did notice they looked ridiculously similar.

Wait, if Yuuichi IS indeed the cousin of Kyon's cousin, as we have surmised, then that woman could indeed be Human Makoto.

Let's see. If Kanon takes place in 1999, and Haruhi is surmised to take place in 2003/04/05-ish, then she'd only be a few years older... yeah, makes sense.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:31   Link #5006
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm...so could Slider-tan be Fuuko Ibuki if all things are connected? Spirit/image projection might fulfill another things Haruhi might want around aside from Fuuko's assumed ability to jump universes/detect alternate universes (her recognizing Ushio whom she's "never" met). Assuming CLANNAD takes place starting in 2004, Fuuko's last appearance should be before August of 2004. If Haruhi takes place around the same time, Slider-tan appears during Haruhi's second year, which could be 2004, but it might be 2005, thus Fuuko is free to wonder until around 2010-11.

Or should we hold our breath for it being Kyon-chan?
Old 2009-06-04, 16:33   Link #5007
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Let's see. If Kanon takes place in 1999, and Haruhi is surmised to take place in 2003/04/05-ish, then she'd only be a few years older... yeah, makes sense.
I thought it more like 2010, because of 7-7-07, y'know?
Old 2009-06-04, 16:39   Link #5008
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
*snip*
Or maybe she's -gasp- an entirely new character!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
Problem being that the series gives various dates that simply don't work together in a calendar, which is why I refer to it as taking place in "200X".

Given the technology used (They're still using Windows XP, among other things,) it has to take place in the early-mid 2000's.

But we're getting slightly off-topic here.

Endless Eight is one of my favorite stories, so I really can't wait to see it animated. Still hoping they give Koizumi the Hosaka Laugh.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:39   Link #5009
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
Actually, according to some quote in Melancholy, the majorit of the series takes place in this year, 2009.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:51   Link #5010
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering how many XP machines I still see....

But then those Computer Guys were suppose to have just bought some of those computers and I don't think you can't get new computers with XP on them anymore. But then the anime was made in 2006...there wasn't a Vista yet. Though I do recall complaints from when those episodes aired about the club using LAN lines instead of going wireless and a few other comments about the level of computer technology they used verses what American geek squad types were using in early to mid-2006.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:51   Link #5011
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
Actually, according to some quote in Melancholy, the majorit of the series takes place in this year, 2009.
Which has a problem in that 1999 is implied as having recently happened in the prologue.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:53   Link #5012
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

When did 1999 come into this?
Old 2009-06-04, 16:57   Link #5013
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Melancholy prologue mentions 1999. Unless that was just something thrown into both BT and Strato's translation of it. (Still need to pick up the official trans)
Old 2009-06-04, 17:01   Link #5014
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well one thing is certain...since Haruhi's computer (at least as shown) runs on Windows XP, it cannot be earlier than 2002 (since she got (stole) it in later April or May of that year and Windows XP didn't come out until October of 2001).
Old 2009-06-04, 17:08   Link #5015
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Well one thing is certain...since Haruhi's computer (at least as shown) runs on Windows XP, it cannot be earlier than 2002 (since she got (stole) it in later April or May of that year and Windows XP didn't come out until October of 2001).
Unless Haruhi made it be released earlier. I doubt she would wish for computery stuff so much as for interesting things to happen, though...

As for the 1999 thing, I was never sure if that meant 1999 had just passed or if Kyon was referring to the year out of nowhere. It wouldn't make too much sense for a year to be mentioned randomly, but it's not like it's impossible to do so.

Maybe Nagaru Tanigawa started writing the series as if it took place a while after 1999, and then he changed his mind and wrote it in a different time period with no notice? Seems sort of like something he'd do.
Old 2009-06-04, 17:10   Link #5016
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well...if it is set in 2002, then "three years ago" would be 1999.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:04   Link #5017
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's about all that tells us. Even today, with Vista having been around for two and a half years, a lot of people, even (especially) stubborn tech heads, still prefer XP.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:21   Link #5018
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
I always thought that Kyon mentioned 1999 because he was disappointed that nothing happened. It's a prophetic year, being 'the end of the world' and all.

The first year after 1999 that Valentine's Day (Volume 7) is on a Sunday is 2010. Thus, the series would begin in 2009 (This very year!). However, this year, December 20th (Vol. 4) is a Sunday.

I really think that the author didn't think that much.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-06-04 at 19:51.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:33   Link #5019
Jintor

I suspect the CCP simply couldn't afford legit copies of Vista.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:39   Link #5020
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That or they have a Volume License copy of XP that they could load onto any of their computers.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen