AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-04-15, 18:05   Link #2281
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
^Pfft... Again with this? If it was much later maybe, but the foreshadowing of the first real fight began in volume 2 already, not to mention Medaka's abnormal capabilities were shown one by one during the first 10 or 12 chapters. When will you understand that Nishio never intended to write a comedy/romance story in the first place?

And about your statement...

Spoiler for spoiler:

If so, then this makes 2 abnormals, 1 special & 1 normal? in the student council.
I understand it. I was just saying that if you took the first 10 chapters of the manga and said it was going to be a super-powered battle manga, no one would believe it. I swear you guys get offended by anyone who doesn't follow your exact train of likes and dislikes.

As for Kikaijima...

Spoiler:
Old 2010-04-15, 18:05   Link #2282
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Skipping through some chapters and i think i found something important:

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/21/03/

Zen: "If you rip off her personality, you'll be left with that rampaging beast"

I wonder if the 13th party//director is aware what happens when she loses her original personality.
Signs of this were shown in the latest scanlated chapter. Medaka who cares for everyone, friend or foe, went to Koga with crystal clear intention of giving her a beating, and she did, but lost due to lack of knowledge of her abormal capabilities (memory lost).

Put it bluntly, judging by Zen's words, this means: Mindless Medaka with no personality = Perses mode Medaka, the rampaging beast.

Good find, Lummie, I'm doubting the chairman is aware of that
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 18:56   Link #2283
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I understand it. I was just saying that if you took the first 10 chapters of the manga and said it was going to be a super-powered battle manga, no one would believe it. I swear you guys get offended by anyone who doesn't follow your exact train of likes and dislikes.
Not offended, but that kind of comment has been made so many times already that I run out of patience.

Quote:
As for Kikaijima...

Spoiler:
I suggest you reread back from ch.1, so you can remember some important things. Just if you want, that's it, but I will explain nonetheless.

Spoiler for From normal to abnormal:

Last edited by Homura7; 2010-04-15 at 19:13.
Old 2010-04-15, 19:16   Link #2284
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Abnormality has next to nothing to do with training. If you could just train to be an abnormal, you wouldn't need the Flask Plan to begin with.

Koga shouldn't be mentioned, because she was turned into a cyborg. Naze has two abnormals for siblings, so I"m doubtful that she really did anything special. If anything, I think her abnormality might have just taken its timing blooming, like Maguro's. Or that instead of turning on all at once, it slowly came on in stages, so she went from Normal to Special to Abnormal. There's also the fact that her Stoicness (that's totally not a word) was called abnormal at some point, so I'm really hesitant to say that she was ever a normal.

The Flask Plan isn't about making a training program for people to become Abnormals, it's about making a drug that will turn anyone into an Abnormal. No training necessary.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 19:25   Link #2285
Homura7

Sorry, I meant that abnormal capabilities are improved through intense training, hence why Kikaijima's voice pitch is so loud and strong. You can say all the students are abnormal in fact. Why? Isn't it obvious? It's a student academy were all them are AB bloodtype.

I'm also beggining to believe that there're are two types of abnormals.Those who improve their capabilities through hard training, and those whose abnormality is even beyond abnormal, or to put it bluntly, through cheating, like Koga's case.

To sum it up:

Common abnormality: Superhuman strenght (for example).

Abnormality that goes beyond abnormal: Gravity (Flask Plan).
Old 2010-04-15, 20:23   Link #2286
Napoleon's Hat

So Medaka with her memories but without her abnormal abilities was able to beat Koga, but Medaka without her memories yet possessing her abnormality was not. How?
Napoleon's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 22:03   Link #2287
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Because her strength comes from her personality, I guess. I find that a bit hard swallow myself, but we'll see where it leads.

As for training in everything, I don't think the reason Medaka exceeds at everything is because she actually trains in everything. If you look back on the chapters, it's noted how she's good at anything she tries without needing much effort-- like making her calligraphy teachers retire in elementary school or becoming a red belt by middle school. Conversely, Zenkichi has to train really hard to get good at that stuff, and just to keep up with Medaka, but he's still nowhere near her level.

It was stated already that abnormals excel at one thing, specials are pretty good at everything, and the only thing that really makes people normal is the ability to get discouraged and lose heart (if you buy Maguro's explanation as to why Zenkichi is normal anyway).

BTW, good luck finding raws again. Looks like raw-paradise has shut down.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2010-04-15 at 22:20.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 04:35   Link #2288
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
blah blah blah blah
Pro tip, not every sarcastic comment on the internet has a following it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 07:00   Link #2289
Homura7

Bad news what happened with raw-paradise, though it's not the first time they have to stay away for a while and change the name of the web, they did that once.

Meanwhile you can use mangahelpers. It's no wonder raw-paradise was found, how the hell they had the guts to leave watermarks on the scans, seriously...?

And don't panic, this happened once and will happen sometime again in the future, but nothing will change.
Old 2010-04-16, 07:29   Link #2290
Led_Zeppelin
Achilles Last Stand

Send a message via MSN to Led_Zeppelin
Quote:
Meanwhile you can use mangahelpers. It's no wonder raw-paradise was found, how the hell they had the guts to leave watermarks on the scans, seriously...?

And don't panic, this happened once and will happen sometime again in the future, but nothing will change.
is a really long story, but trying to make it short, mangastream and money.

also, is almost a year since this manga start, i'm with KLG in this one, in the beginning of the manga if someone told me that this will be something like "kongou banchou" + "x-men" + "tits", how would belive that after just 10 chapters?

but i do like some stuff from the current idea of the manga, how abnormality is changed by the personality, the felling of loneliness of some of the abnormals (Takachiho, Munakata, Miyakonojou, maybe medaka) but with the difference that is not product of the discrimination agains abnormals.
Led_Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 08:05   Link #2291
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led_Zeppelin View Post
Just checked one of their scanlations randomly...

Shit, remove those damnd watermarks...!
Old 2010-04-16, 08:19   Link #2292
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led_Zeppelin View Post

also, is almost a year since this manga start, i'm with KLG in this one, in the beginning of the manga if someone told me that this will be something like "kongou banchou" + "x-men" + "tits", how would belive that after just 10 chapters?

but i do like some stuff from the current idea of the manga, how abnormality is changed by the personality, the felling of loneliness of some of the abnormals (Takachiho, Munakata, Miyakonojou, maybe medaka) but with the difference that is not product of the discrimination agains abnormals.
I'm finding the loneliness part a bit hard to grasp. Normally, I'd say yes if people pushed them away because they're different, which as we've seen, isn't the case. Everyone accepts the stuff Medaka does as normal. It could also be from them idolizing her or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case either, as they talk to her like a regular person.

So, the only place where the feeling of loneliness comes in is if their abnormality isolates them in some way, which seems to be the case. Hard Wrapping can't be touched, Last Carpet has to keep himself away from people because he wants to kill them, Naze hates her own abilities, so she purposely isolates herself as well, Koga has no interest in "normal" people, Unzen hates everyone and thinks the worst of them, etc. Not sure what King's beef is... maybe he's just too damn arrogant and I'm also not sure what it is that makes Medaka feel lonely. At first I thought it might be because she's so good at anything, no one would want to compete with her, but that isn't the case as Nabeshima seems quite willing.

I guess it's some food for thought. Personally, I think I'd rather have the focus off of Medaka and on the other characters like it is now, and judging from the rating, the Jump readers feel the same. Whenever the focus is on her, it drops to the bottom, but seems to leap out when someone else takes over.
Old 2010-04-16, 09:29   Link #2293
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Bad news what happened with raw-paradise, though it's not the first time they have to stay away for a while and change the name of the web, they did that once.
They weren't shut down, they just chickened out after the announcement came out. There was an editorial form JUMP concerning scans, pleading for them to stop and my guess is raw paradise decided to close shop because of it.

But that's neither here nor there, translation for 45 is out.
Spoiler for Medaka 45:
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 10:22   Link #2294
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
They weren't shut down, they just chickened out after the announcement came out. There was an editorial form JUMP concerning scans, pleading for them to stop and my guess is raw paradise decided to close shop because of it.
Should we be searching for another website or wait til raw-paradise makes a move, because even though the raw distribution is down, the forum is still active. Otherwise, there's mangahelpers, but I don't know if there're more websites wich release raws from many magazines.
Old 2010-04-16, 10:22   Link #2295
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
As for Kikaijima...

Spoiler:
The way I see it is Kikaijima is similar to Naze/Kujira-chan. A Special who's working her way into Abnormality. Which, in turn, brings me back to Zenkichi who is obviously not normal anymore. He's a Normal who worked his way through Specialty straight into Abnormality. I don't think anyone but the Chairman has realized it yet.

I figure we might see him strapped to one of their examination tables soon.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 10:25   Link #2296
Lummie

Quote:
Should we be searching for another website or wait til raw-paradise makes a move, because even though the raw distribution is down, the forum is still active. Otherwise, there's mangahelpers, but I don't know if there're more websites wich release raws from many magazines.
There is Jcafe24 which has a considerable amount of raw manga, daily updated.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 16:45   Link #2297
Homura7

No worries, guys, MH is still providing us the raws, and with no watermarks

Meanwhile I reread the chapter again and must say Kikaijima has officially become my favourite MB female character
Old 2010-04-16, 18:04   Link #2298
ziggi92

I think Zen is abnormal who is equal to Medaka because there is no way that he can finnish same training like Medaka and still hold also having to be with Medaka childhood friend since he was two years old I got to say that normal person would not last one minute with Medaka so think Zen is like what principal said that he just wolf in sheep clothes and also I think that Medaka is key ofhis abnormal power just read one-shot where Zen is in judo fight with some giant and his knocking down so many times and still holds after his permission for Medaka he busted the giant. Think he is one of few that can withstand Shiranui big mouth.
One last thing he as sence of charisma that can get even wanted man to be friend and also being childhood friend of Medaka show that he is not typical normal guy.
ziggi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 22:22   Link #2299
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

In regards to this manga's first 10 chapters or so, people do need to remember that this is shounen. Mangaka often use those first few episodic chapters to build their story's framework before jumping right into the plot. This has gone on for years even before any of the current manga in WSJ were running.

Look at Part 1 Dragonball. No way from its first 10 chapters would you expect it to become as fast paced and over powered as it did in Part 2 with Frieza and Cell etc.

Yu Yu Hakusho's first two volumes are another example since Yusuke was hardly doing any kind of fighting at all in those. He was just a ghost trying to get his body back by doing good deeds. Hell, Medaka Box had more fighting than early Yu Yu Hakusho and look at what the latter became. Everything after volume 2 were tournament arcs or fighting to stop an evil plot.

Of course one of the more recent examples is Reborn. It went through at least 60 chapters before it shifted into a battle manga from a gag manga.

So at least in terms of WSJ, I don't think Medaka intending to be a battle manga from the start is all that surprising when I re-read the first volume and a half of chapters. There were hints along the way and yes even battles. I think the transition could have been done better but I believe it worked out well enough since the current arc is the most I have been excited about a manga in terms of doing things in different and abnormal(couldn't help myself) ways.
Old 2010-04-17, 16:44   Link #2300
Sol Falling

w00t, ch. 45. That was awesome again. This current arc is really exciting. Haha, Unzen is still definately my favourite character, although I could do without him being soft on Zen. His bratty 'lead character in a drama' aura is coming through in full force.

Shiranui summoning everybody via twitter: LOL, brilliant. Man, Zen voiced my thoughts exactly though about the reinforcements being a bunch of cripples. Everyone being injured except of Onigase--lol, the fools. Btw, Onigase was super moe this time too.

Heh, actually, thinking about it, can you even measure the amount of awesome that was in this chapter? Nabeshima's cheap 'warp' plan being foiled, and being called out on it--that was gold. Unzen's sister making undecipherable boob jokes--awesomeness must run in the family. Unzen living like a king 'cause he thought he'd managed to dump all the work in Medaka--brilliant, and that also ties into Miyakanoujou's statement that he'd thought Medaka would crush everything in her path down to him. I also figure Unzen's ability to work the elevator is a result of his mathematical abnormality--with the Plus Six showing up, everything seems to be coming together.

Plus Six themselves are looking to be plenty interesting characters. The guy everybody's calling a Zen-lookalike seems to have a frivoulously strong code of honour/loyalty. Bubblegum, boobs, and overalls girl is hot, and the too-much-hair lady amuses me with her non-sequitor identity crisis. The guy with the pixelated face seems to have some awesome convoluted robotic/logical dialogue, and the tiny-glasses chibi-girl really stands out as the single cute one out of the lot. The only character I'm not really feeling is the uptight megane-prettyboy, and at 5/6 when we've pretty much only even seen their introductions, that's pretty impressive. I can't wait to see how all this plays out.

Anyway, the thing this chapter's really made clear to me is (again) that the scanlated chapters are much more satisfying than people's raw impressions. So I'll just have to end on a note of thanks for the scanlators, and also mention that I hope we catch up with the raws soon!
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council