AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-05-12, 02:22   Link #1
ASR1FanSubs
Feeling Big in Your Chair

Send a message via ICQ to ASR1FanSubs
Good times/how Fansub were done 11 years ago

That page is pretty much how AnimeSuki and other Fansubbing guides would be like

11 years ago. You can say, that page is the roots of http://www.fansubbers.org

There is even a Guide on old school subbing http://armitage.crinkle.net/karinkuru/howtosub/

enough said................

Last edited by ASR1FanSubs; 2009-05-12 at 21:28.
ASR1FanSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 04:01   Link #2
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

So, they were good times because releases were slower and more expensive to produce?
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 04:23   Link #3
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Fansubbing being technologically driven as it is, isn't something that can be deemed as 'good times' by one set period.
(I'm speaking on the software front here)
The time you entered and worked in for the first few years = best time of all.
It's like that for most things in life.

Things may have been done more manually and with more care, love, dedication and general appreciation in comparison with today's standards, however the latest programs all have their flaws and challenges and if a person wants to really master a skill set for fansubbing, they'll do so without "cheating" or using the "easy way".
Be it today or 11 years ago, it doesn't matter.

Btw you should have began your post with a rocking chair, pipe in mouth and started with:
"In my day~~~~"

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 04:26   Link #4
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

no I'm pretty sure that given where fansubbing started it would be pretty damn hard for it to get any worse, so the fact that it has gotten better isn't very surprising
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 07:00   Link #5
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR1FanSubs View Post
I still have some Edited VHS of Sailor moon....... that were never release Fansubbed.
Before you kids had Fancy aegisub to do it for you and your fancy fancy mkv and avi formats.
Us older kids used Amigas PCs (which were not cheap).

Substation Alpha was among the first timers we could used.

JACOsub was then used to sub.

I had tears of Joy when I came across this page

http://armitage.crinkle.net/karinkuru/what.html

That page is pretty much how AnimeSuki and other Fansubbing guides would be like

11 years ago. You can say, that page is the roots of http://www.fansubbers.org

There is even a Guide on old school subbing http://armitage.crinkle.net/karinkuru/howtosub/

I remember going to that site in late 01

Believe or not, 11 years ago. Anime was something very rare in here US.
its all thanks to Karinkuru Anime and other first and second Gen Fansubbers that we all now know anime ( Fansubbed, that is)
We Salute you.

. Fansubbing back then WAS NOT cheap. We had to PAY translator to help us and were RARE. Of course releases took forever.
There are a few errors in your post. First off, Substation Alpha was not one of the first subtitling applications, it actually came along much later. The reason fansubbing cost more back then is because you had to actually own a genlock, SVHS deck, LD player, and you had to have source copies. It was actually quite rare in those days to pay for a translation. Some people did, but the majority got scripts from online BBS's that hosted translations, or they had someone who could TL in their anime club. Most anime clubs that did fansubbing were based out of technical schools which often had Japanese Americans attending like MIT's club(the first fansubbers), or like Newtype Fansubs(VTECH anime club). 11 years ago anime was not as rare as you would believe. Suncoast, Blockbuster, Tower Records, and even places like Borders Books sold anime. Also many animes were on TV and some stations had dedicated anime showings, like Scifi channels "Saturday Anime".
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 10:40   Link #6
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

The damn kids have it so easy these days. Oh, we used to dream of watching VHS fansubs! Would have been a movie theater to us. We used to watch fansubs on an old 8mm film reel salvaged from a scrapyard. And we had no projector either! We had to pull it past our eyes really quickly in front of a flashlight. VHS? Hah!
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 11:16   Link #7
Mio
TL;DR
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Mio
By your general tone you seem to think that fansubbing was better in the old days. Believe it or not, the general quality of fansubs have drastically improved with technological advances, though I cannot say so for certain groups, most groups today are producing fair subs that they otherwise would not be able to have achieved back in your "imperial ages of fansubbing on VHS."

As well, "having it easy" today isn't just because there's Aegisub and there's Photoshop or After Effects. It's also partly due to resources being available for use anywhere and anytime on the web. Someone can pick up PS/AFX very quickly and produce somewhat decent signs and you can only dream of making in your golden ages.

So since the process/quality has obviously drastically improved on the whole, and that communication has been made much easier between fansubbers, plus the fact that distribution has also been made much more available, what exactly are you posting for? We should "de-evolve" back to using that old crap? Well, be my guest.

Oh by the way, using the term "kids" was a very poor choice in your post, and saluting those 2 groups that most people here has ever even heard of won't get you anywhere. Though yes maybe they are worthy of saluted, idfk since I've "always had it so damn easy." Your choice of diction would've been more appropriate on say...oh nevermind.

Sounds to me you could use a DVD rewinder, if you know what I mean.
Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 11:34   Link #8
Apo

Mio: YHBT. YHL. HAND.
Apo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 12:12   Link #9
ASR1FanSubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by false dawn View Post
so, they were good times because releases were slower and more expensive to produce?
hell yeah! Hahahahhahah
Old 2009-05-12, 12:23   Link #10
ASR1FanSubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
There are a few errors in your post. First off, Substation Alpha was not one of the first subtitling applications, it actually came along much later. The reason fansubbing cost more back then is because you had to actually own a genlock, SVHS deck, LD player, and you had to have source copies. It was actually quite rare in those days to pay for a translation. Some people did, but the majority got scripts from online BBS's that hosted translations, or they had someone who could TL in their anime club. Most anime clubs that did fansubbing were based out of technical schools which often had Japanese Americans attending like MIT's club(the first fansubbers), or like Newtype Fansubs(VTECH anime club). 11 years ago anime was not as rare as you would believe. Suncoast, Blockbuster, Tower Records, and even places like Borders Books sold anime. Also many animes were on TV and some stations had dedicated anime showings, like Scifi channels "Saturday Anime".
You are right, but those were programs we used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio View Post
By your general tone you seem to think that fansubbing was better in the old days. Believe it or not, the general quality of fansubs have drastically improved with technological advances, though I cannot say so for certain groups, most groups today are producing fair subs that they otherwise would not be able to have achieved back in your "imperial ages of fansubbing on VHS."

As well, "having it easy" today isn't just because there's Aegisub and there's Photoshop or After Effects. It's also partly due to resources being available for use anywhere and anytime on the web. Someone can pick up PS/AFX very quickly and produce somewhat decent signs and you can only dream of making in your golden ages.

So since the process/quality has obviously drastically improved on the whole, and that communication has been made much easier between fansubbers, plus the fact that distribution has also been made much more available, what exactly are you posting for? We should "de-evolve" back to using that old crap? Well, be my guest.

Oh by the way, using the term "kids" was a very poor choice in your post, and saluting those 2 groups that most people here has ever even heard of won't get you anywhere. Though yes maybe they are worthy of saluted, idfk since I've "always had it so damn easy." Your choice of diction would've been more appropriate on say...oh nevermind.

Sounds to me you could use a DVD rewinder, if you know what I mean.

I really liked fan subbing back then I enjoy it. It was hard and took a really long time, I am just one of those old school kids thats it. Of course Subbing is easier and like many of you have said, better in only ways we could had dream back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Fansubbing being technologically driven as it is, isn't something that can be deemed as 'good times' by one set period.
(I'm speaking on the software front here)
The time you entered and worked in for the first few years = best time of all.
It's like that for most things in life.

Things may have been done more manually and with more care, love, dedication and general appreciation in comparison with today's standards, however the latest programs all have their flaws and challenges and if a person wants to really master a skill set for fansubbing, they'll do so without "cheating" or using the "easy way".
Be it today or 11 years ago, it doesn't matter.

Btw you should have began your post with a rocking chair, pipe in mouth and started with:
"In my day~~~~"
Well for me it was fun , I was in college we often party afterward
Old 2009-05-12, 13:10   Link #11
Deddo
typesetting ftw!
*Fansubber

This topic reminded me this: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...ng+documentary
Deddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 13:12   Link #12
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Ah, memories. We started off with TurboTitler(TTS), then went onto JACOsub(still use to time). My SuperGen Genolock and LD player still work, but are now unused. Poor things. My 1000+ LDs are missing their play time.
Old 2009-05-12, 13:48   Link #13
ASR1FanSubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Ah, memories. We started off with TurboTitler(TTS), then went onto JACOsub(still use to time). My SuperGen Genolock and LD player still work, but are now unused. Poor things. My 1000+ LDs are missing their play time.
OMG LD PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!! So many memories, well I am sure present time subber will have a good time talking about your work years from now!
TurboTitler ahh Good old TTS never bother to work with it though
Old 2009-05-12, 13:49   Link #14
ASR1FanSubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deddo View Post
yeah him and I argue about it, I mean he claims modern day subbers have ruined it. But in my option, they've only made it better and faster.
Old 2009-05-12, 13:54   Link #15
pichu
*Fansubber

umm more than 11 years ago back in college... I already did some basic video editing with text already. It's so much fun back in the early 90s, I wish you were all there since you can do something so unique that no one has ever done so! The tools we have today basically enables just about anyone to do it, so basically--your work won't be unique.

and, sorry kiddo, i already started to encode my own mpeg-1 CD-I videos back in 1995. So they're all done digitally. We had T1/T2 lines back then. I don't seem to recall 1998 technologies behind. I was already using my overclocked Celeron 300A/450MHz to work on videos and encoded 640X480 mpeg-4/rv videos... I prefer RV because of smaller sizes in my CD-R back in 98 since I had a hard time squeezing 10 episodes of mpeg-4 videos in 1 CD. I'd just use a standard nonlinear video editor to insert subtitles in the video. I don't see a problem... at that time to go through analog signals when everything was done digitally.

Last edited by pichu; 2009-05-12 at 14:11.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 14:30   Link #16
DryFire
Panda Herder

Everything was better when you were younger... always.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 14:32   Link #17
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I really wish everyone who likes to talk about the 90's would go back there and post about it there

the 90's was a terrible decade (much like your posting)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 16:06   Link #18
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
the 90's was a terrible decade
But the 90s had happy hardcore!
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 17:01   Link #19
Mio
TL;DR
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Mio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo View Post
Mio: YHBT. YHL. HAND.
I found a site you could make use of: http://www.tolearnenglish.com/

Back to topic. @ASR if you really loved your subbing old school style yet understand that subbing is better/easier today then I don't see why you made your post to begin with. As I recall your group recently released S&W OVA, disregarding the quality of that release it seems like to me you've already taken on the new ways.
Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 17:14   Link #20
ASR1FanSubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio View Post
I found a site you could make use of: http://www.tolearnenglish.com/

Back to topic. @ASR if you really loved your subbing old school style yet understand that subbing is better/easier today then I don't see why you made your post to begin with. As I recall your group recently released S&W OVA, disregarding the quality of that release it seems like to me you've already taken on the new ways.
Believe it or not, I wasnt aware of modern day subbing programs and methods. I never bother to look up any information oh how they were done. I simply watched anime and was oh cool effects wish I wouldve done it back then but thats bout it.
Then recently, a friend of mine talked to me about making a Fansubbing group. when that came to mind, I thought of the old methods used. Little informative and very naive I was, things had changed I presume in making a group. I gather staff which had the skills but didn't know how to used them for this. Or V1 sucked big time. Why ? We were REALLY new to it( I was in the new modern ways). We try using other methods of subtitling which were not up to standards. But then we got new staff which had experience with working with more acceptable subtitle formats and our encoder began to work with mkv. We quickly updated ,I got better inform and Thus v2 was born ( regardless if its the right translation or not) V2 has no more than 2 lines were scene with fix grammar.

I made this post to just "Share" no other reason what so ever