AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-08-17, 13:43   Link #1101
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Air Force Museum in Ohio has a massive number of X-planes. I think most are divided between them and the Smithsonian. Of course they have the surviving XB-70 as well. Thing is massive.
Old 2012-08-17, 14:10   Link #1102
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Air Force Museum in Ohio has a massive number of X-planes. I think most are divided between them and the Smithsonian. Of course they have the surviving XB-70 as well. Thing is massive.
Those are just conventional aircraft. I bet Vexx knows about Omega shaped ones with dual-phase plasma cannons and laser-intercept systems for AAMs and SAMs, powered by elerium reactors.

With regards to hypersonic planes, didn't they have something like the Auroua Project back then?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 14:34   Link #1103
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
It's not an X-Plane without problems and crashes
They're not problems, they're less preferable forms of progress.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 16:01   Link #1104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Nothing is free, you may just have to pay indirect costs rather than direct costs. Also, if there's nothing to protect the company's designs, they aren't going to invest in R&D. Why spend millions or billions of dollars just to have someone copy it and release another version within 2 months?

And clearly the market isn't struggling, since either competitors don't mind licensing the patents, or they make their own versions that do well. Unless you think Apple and Microsoft are the only people making smart phones?
If you actually LOOK at the patents in question, they're mostly bunk that should never have been patentable. And Apple, given its history of blatant borrowing from XEROX, etc. ought to know better.

Samsung isn't guilty of anything other than "making a typewriter that uses keys for input like that guys down the street".

This is more of the US patent system is fatally broken examples.
Old 2012-08-17, 17:31   Link #1105
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They're not problems, they're less preferable forms of progress.
That has to be one of the best statements ever.
Old 2012-08-18, 15:31   Link #1106
Ridwan

Coordinators, everyone ?
Old 2012-08-18, 16:04   Link #1107
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

(For those who didn't catch the reference, the link's about designer babies. Just a small blurb from an ethical point of view.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Coordinators, everyone ?
Quote:
'So where genetic selection aims to bring out a trait that clearly benefits an individual and society, we should allow parents the choice.
So, what about when the two are in contradiction?

At least in combination with other traits, psychopathy seems to be an advantage for the individual (they're over-represented in positions of power). For society, not so much (they're over-represented in positions of power. Also, they're psychopaths.).
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 16:25   Link #1108
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Savulescu is fun. He argues for some very fun things. Indeed, being an expert in practical ethics is possibly one of the most fun job descriptions to apply to someone, alongside revolutionary philosopher, crowd-sourcing PR expert, and maniacal sociopathic dictator. However I'm not sure if he reads many sci-fi classics, or he'll have realized his fun opinion is also very fun and interesting to many sci-fi luminaries who explored such scenarios before.

As for me, I'm not a very fun person, so I have a very low opinion of my fellow humans and an unfortunately highly entertaining expectation of what they will do if such tools are available to them.

For example,

1. Cure Down's syndrome.
2. Make babies look like Justin Bieber.
3. Create a masterclass of self-empowered fucks out of children of the super rich that will ruin it not only for rest of the re-enslaved peasants, but also unfortunate aliens across the galaxy that this race of violent scums will meet. In the meantime, genetic drones perfected from the offsprings of "chavs," "communists," "minorities" and "liberals" are very good and cheap biological workforce for the factories. At some point they stop bothering with the offsprings part and figured out cloning is probably even cheaper, which means procreation among the lower classes will be outlawed.
XX. Profit.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:01   Link #1109
AnimeFan188

Hackers backdoor the human brain, successfully extract sensitive data:

"With a chilling hint of the not-so-distant future, researchers at the Usenix Security
conference have demonstrated a zero-day vulnerability in your brain. Using a
commercial off-the-shelf brain-computer interface, the researchers have shown that
it’s possible to hack your brain, forcing you to reveal information that you’d rather
keep secret."

See:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...sensitive-data

The end of waterboarding, and the beginning of.... Section 9*?

* "Ghost In The Shell" reference.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:27   Link #1110
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Last time I physically hacked a person's head, it did reveal a lot of brain.

I assume that's not what they mean?
Old 2012-08-18, 19:58   Link #1111
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Last time I physically hacked a person's head, it did reveal a lot of brain.

I assume that's not what they mean?
No blood?

Last time I seen one only gas came out..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 12:43   Link #1112
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigu View Post
That hypersonic airplane project seems like a never ending quest with all these crashes.
There's an old joke among biologists (and perhaps other fields of science) that with science, you're working with about a 50% success rate. That is, 50% of the time your experiment will simply not work.

Modern biologists jest that whoever made that original joke was an optimist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If you actually LOOK at the patents in question, they're mostly bunk that should never have been patentable. And Apple, given its history of blatant borrowing from XEROX, etc. ought to know better.

Samsung isn't guilty of anything other than "making a typewriter that uses keys for input like that guys down the street".

This is more of the US patent system is fatally broken examples.
This is going to come off as apologizing for Apple, but I see this as a "don't hate the player, hate the game" scenario. Apple is very high-profile and has a ton of cash, so they're being targeted by many people and companies for patent and trademark lawsuits. It's in their best interest to patent aggressively and then to enforce those patents.

But I agree that many of the patents that are at the center of lawsuits are ridiculous. I wonder when we'll get patent reform?
Old 2012-08-19, 19:02   Link #1113
AnimeFan188

New form of carbon observed:

"A team of scientists led by Carnegie's Lin Wang has observed a new form of very
hard carbon clusters, which are unusual in their mix of crystalline and disordered
structure. The material is capable of indenting diamond. This finding has potential
applications for a range of mechanical, electronic, and electrochemical uses. The
work is published in Science on Aug. 17."

See:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ne...erved_999.html
Old 2012-08-20, 17:26   Link #1114
AnimeFan188

New Hover Vehicle Recalls 'Star Wars' Bike:

"A resurrected hover vehicle won't fly through dense forests as effortlessly as
the "Star Wars" speeder bikes from "Return of the Jedi," but its intuitive controls
could someday allow anyone to fly it without pilot training.

The aerial vehicle resembles a science fiction flying bike with two ducted rotors
instead of wheels, but originates from a design abandoned in the 1960s because
of stability and rollover problems. Aerofex, a California-based firm, fixed the
stability issue by creating a mechanical system — controlled by two control bars at
knee-level — that allows the vehicle to respond to a human pilot's leaning
movements and natural sense of balance."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/hover-vehicle-...171401941.html
Old 2012-08-20, 17:59   Link #1115
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

How would you register that with the California DMV? And what kind of plates would you get?
Old 2012-08-20, 21:05   Link #1116
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Real hover vehicle (as in sci fi movies) are imposible.. IIRC, anti-gravity is impossible according to general relativity.. Ohhh reality, you suck!
Old 2012-08-20, 23:50   Link #1117
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Real hover vehicle (as in sci fi movies) are imposible.. IIRC, anti-gravity is impossible according to general relativity.. Ohhh reality, you suck!
General relativity won't hold forever.
Old 2012-08-21, 00:18   Link #1118
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
New form of carbon observed:

"A team of scientists led by Carnegie's Lin Wang has observed a new form of very
hard carbon clusters, which are unusual in their mix of crystalline and disordered
structure. The material is capable of indenting diamond. This finding has potential
applications for a range of mechanical, electronic, and electrochemical uses. The
work is published in Science on Aug. 17."
...and I thought... synthetic diamonds can now be made available for everyone...
Old 2012-08-21, 01:40   Link #1119
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
General relativity won't hold forever.
If there's one thing that always holds true for science, it's that there's no such thing as "Impossible".

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 01:45   Link #1120
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
If there's one thing that always holds true for science, it's that there's no such thing as "Impossible".
The difficult questions that may follow regarding possibilities are:

How will it be possible?

When will it be possible?